Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

I actually stopped watching after Coven, and just recently marathoned through all the seasons since then. I guess I'm gonna give it another shot?

Parasol Prophet posted:

Also, in poking around other forums and comment sections on AHS articles, I've noticed that there seem to be two camps of people who watch the show: Those that liked seasons 1 and 2 and thought 6 was kind of a return to form, and those that liked 3-5 but didn't like 6, usually because of the format.

That seems accurate, I'm definitely in the former group, but I know a lot that are in the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
:911: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0csnVQ0ZKA :911:

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
jeeeeeesus loving christ the centipede sore.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

On one hand, gently caress yes, on the other no Angela Bassett.

Also, doggy :ohdear:

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I'm not sure I expected the 2016 election influences to be... that overt.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
And here's a trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-27J0sR9268

On the titles: I like the remix of the theme song. But it sort of reminds me of Hotel's intro, where they use the same two or three visuals over and over and it doesn't really jump at you like the previous ones did. But overall, I dig it, glad to have it back.

Do we spoiler tag discussion on previews and trailers? I forget. Just in case, on the trailer: I didn't actually expect any Trump name drops during the show itself, but I guess I was wrong. Although I still don't think they'll actually talk about him in name beyond the fact that he won. I will admit, the idea that Paulson is a liberal lesbian mom with a fear of clowns starting to descent into madness with the election result being the trigger, and the idea that Peters is some anarchist cult leader weirdo who wants to use it as a trigger to incite that madness ... it's actually a really interesting idea for a horror show. And Chanel #3 as a freaky babysitter who indulges her son with his interest in ol' Twisty, I love it.

I'm actually ten times more excited for this show than I was upon hearing the season concept. I'm sure the actual show will kill that with the typical goofiness, but hey, at least I'm not on the verge of just skipping it this time.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I'm... still interested. That description makes it sound like this could go either way, and be fun no matter what.

Also, yay we have opening titles again! Although I am NOT cool with that bug-from-hole-in-skin imagery there. Nope. Not cool at all.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, I'm still super down on the concept, but it looks like they're using the election more as a catalyst than a full on plot point or storyline, and I can dig that.

I really like what the trailer showed so far. Should play well to Paulson's strengths.

Also she and Pill make a super cute couple.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Triggered by Trump's election lol.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Not an American, but from what I can tell that's exactly what his election has done to people on both sides. poo poo seems cray down there.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
The best part of Coven was the freaky stick monster in the titles that never made it into the show :colbert:

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

angerbeet posted:

The best part of Coven was the freaky stick monster in the titles that never made it into the show :colbert:

I'm still upset I waited all season for that goddamn monster to show. :argh:

edit: and my memory might be off, but I'm pretty sure the first two seasons had trailers without any real false leads. It's just been random "freaky" poo poo since Coven.

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 23, 2017

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Tenzarin posted:

hurr durr people who aren't cishet white men feel understandably threatened by trump in both an existential and immediate sense faaaaart

but seriously, i'm kind of looking forward to this season with the standard mix of dread and anticipation

i still doubt murphy's political chops but last season handled racial issues, fears, and politics surprisingly well, as did feud: bette & joan wrt the sexual politics of aging white actresses in the sixties

so we'll see i guess

April
Jul 3, 2006

stone cold posted:

but seriously, i'm kind of looking forward to this season with the standard mix of dread and anticipation

i still doubt murphy's political chops but last season handled racial issues, fears, and politics surprisingly well, as did feud: bette & joan wrt the sexual politics of aging white actresses in the sixties

so we'll see i guess

It's like the stages of grief, usually, watching this show, but in reverse.

First you're all like "YAY new season can't wait, looks awesome!!!"

Then some trailers & things come out & it's like "hmmmm, looks really weird & mysterious, I'll have to check it out!"

Then you watch the first episode & it's like "I'm not really sure where he's going with this, but it's a really cool idea, and I really like these actors/this setting, so I'll stick around."

And about halfway through the season it's like "this is a loving mess but I have to watch it till the end so I can make fun of it, and who knows maybe it'll pick up"

And then it's over and you're like "that was a total poo poo sandwich, never again"

Then a few months later....

"YAY new season can't wait, looks awesome!!!"

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

April posted:

It's like the stages of grief, usually, watching this show, but in reverse.

First you're all like "YAY new season can't wait, looks awesome!!!"

Then some trailers & things come out & it's like "hmmmm, looks really weird & mysterious, I'll have to check it out!"

Then you watch the first episode & it's like "I'm not really sure where he's going with this, but it's a really cool idea, and I really like these actors/this setting, so I'll stick around."

And about halfway through the season it's like "this is a loving mess but I have to watch it till the end so I can make fun of it, and who knows maybe it'll pick up"

And then it's over and you're like "that was a total poo poo sandwich, never again"

Then a few months later....

"YAY new season can't wait, looks awesome!!!"

i think that's pretty fair but with two caveats: at least it's always a fascinating mess, there's nothing like it on tv

and

the only season i'd be comfortable calling a total poo poo sandwich as opposed to a partial mess is coven

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I'm not sure if it will be good, but the season is going to be fascinating to watch

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

QuoProQuid posted:

I'm not sure if it will be good, but the season is going to be fascinating to watch

:agreed:

If nothing else, the new season has already given us Evan Peters humping his tv as Trump's victory is announced and that would be a real fun gif for future AHS threads

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
After watching that trailer I'm not sure there should or will be more seasons of AHS.

I'll probably still watch like I have every season but e-gads!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The opening of the trailer almost perfectly mimics the election forums.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Yeah, I agree. The first few episodes and the set-up tend to be good. The payoffs tend to be bad.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Firstborn posted:

Yeah, I agree. The first few episodes and the set-up tend to be good. The payoffs tend to be bad.

I will say though, Roanoke had a payoff. Funnily enough I think Freak Show had a decent one.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
The way this show feels like it has to tie up everything, and how sometimes the "main plot" just wraps up and a b story becomes the focus of the final few episodes is pretty weak to me. It's like so many episodes are devoted to a particular character or story, cliffhanger endings, threads that are mysterious and potentially interesting - then it's just like nah gently caress that, now this season is about this side character who cares. It's a subversion of expectations for sure, but a little catharsis would be good once in a while. This show isn't bleak enough to be truly dark and unsettling, and the camp tends to be in service of the drama with some deaf tonal issues.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Aug 23, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Firstborn posted:

The way this show feels like it has to tie up everything, and how sometimes the "main plot" just wraps up and a b story becomes the focus of the final few episodes is pretty weak to me.

That was the one issue I had with Asylum. Everything wraps up early enough to spend the last bit on Jessica Lange dying/getting abducted by aliens ??

Murder House had good payoffs. It had that slow, silly Christmas finale but my favourite moment of the series is still when Taissa Farmiga finds out she's been dead for like half the season.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I'll still watch it because I'm a sucker for horror television shows. By the way, check out Channel Zero. S1 was pretty good and creepy, and S2 looks good.
Check out the trailer. It's pretty close to the "batshit crazy trailer" that AHS tends to do.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Thanks for the heads up. Season 1 was pretty good and the No-End House is a great story to adapt.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

Tenzarin posted:

The opening of the trailer almost perfectly mimics the election forums.

I can tell you this is how this almost nearly mimic'd our election night party:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SHG0ezLiVGc

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Firstborn posted:

The best way I've heard AHS (as well as pretty much all of Ryan Murphy's stuff) described is that it starts really strong, but usually ends up with Ryan Murphy just playing with his "dolls" (favorite actresses).

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Accurate, imo. His shows usually do better the less attention he personally has to give them, so when he has like 5 shows running at once the quality of the ones he isn't working as closely on tends to go up.

Iirc of all the AHS seasons, Asylum was the one Murphy was least hands on with.

I'm not counting American Crime Story tho because all he did for People vs OJ was directing.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

The mix on the title theme sounded very House of Cards-ish, which I guess is appropriate

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
You know, I miss the cool cast trailers they used to do. Like this one. I know they didn't do one for Roanoke and they sort of did one for Coven, showcasing Lange, Bates, and Bassett, but they were really cool. Hotel, Asylum, and Freak Show specifically.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Looks like we're having some more historic serial killers!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Sure, why not

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

New announcement: Even Peters to play literally every role in the new season.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

hangedman1984 posted:

New announcement: Even Peters to play literally every role in the new season.

Good lord a girl can dream.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Is Even Peters related to Evan? 😀

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

We Know Catheters posted:

Is Even Peters related to Evan? 😀

Shutup! Your face is fat!!

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So Evan is pulling a Paulson this season. Ok, cool. I think he can act well enough for it to turn out ok.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Even Peters was great as Fastboy in that X-Man.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Huh looks like there's going to be a lot going on this season. I do enjoy Evan Peters when he gets to play actual characters, March in Hotel was an utter delight during my rewatch.

Going through Murder House now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Tonight on American Horror Story: "Election Night"

Season 7 premiere of the FX horror anthology (thanks, TV Guide :rolleyes:)

It's also airing on Tuesday next week so I guess this is officially a Tuesday show now? Make sure to update/remake your season passes.

• Locked thread