Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Remember when we used to post horrible mechanical failures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Powershift posted:

I wonder what that guy's insurance rates are.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Powershift posted:

That's not possible. I used to pour water in my diff housing and I had nothing happen like that!

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Lol a puddle is gonna kill my car i totally believe 70mph in reverse YouTube guy

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Powershift posted:

How oblivious do you have to be to not even turn around at the noise that had to have made?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Darchangel posted:

How oblivious do you have to be to not even turn around at the noise that had to have made?

Ever driven a backhoe? Wierd bangs and noises are kinda a design feature

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Powershift posted:

This could have been avoided if there was a parachute on the tyre.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

He could get on his smart phone and have an adjuster immediately with an app. Or so I heard.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Ferremit posted:

Bit hard not too sometimes chief. Im actually on tracks here.
Call that a track?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMG1sQ5pIlY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47NfOt--qNc

With full off road treads and balloon style tyres you may be right. I'm using light truck tyres. Coincidentally I lost another tyre to a puncture this morning. It was a metal object picked up on the tar. I took the opportunity to review tyre selection and pressures with my tyre guy. The reason to run an 'obnoxious' pressure is to prevent the tyre deforming on rough roads. That seems to be working.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Welp, just hellaflushed a VW T4:

Balljoint on the lower control arm ripped itself apart. Doesnt actually look that bad from underneath.
Anyone know if this could have hosed the, automatic, transmission? It slid like 20-30 meters like that...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Seems like if anything transmission would be damaged, it'd be cooler lines and/or the pan. Unless you sat there with it idling forever with a giant puddle of ATF then it's probably fine.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I don't know anything about automatics so I don't know if having one wheel sliding along while the other one is still turning could damage something. There's not really any sliding damage underneath luckily, the control arm held everything up so the pan didn't even touch the ground.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Oh my god please quit talking about puddles and suction its getting me wet

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It's probably ok, but with the wheel like that, it could have ripped out the driveshaft output from the gearbox if you got really unlucky. Far more likely it pulled the driveshaft joint out the cup, though.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Hydrolocking sounds like a euphemism for waterboarding.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I've always thought that "waterboarding at Guantanamo Bay" sounds like a kickin' rad good time, as long as you don't know what either of those things actually are.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
https://www.reddit.com/r/Showerthou...=comment_header
?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
There you go, I probably read it there and forgot I hadn't made it up myself.

There's no originality on the internet.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Memento posted:

There you go, I probably read it there and forgot I hadn't made it up myself.

There's no originality on the internet.

Have you tried leaving notes everywhere i saw a movie once where that worked.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

DogonCrook posted:

:vince:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

DogonCrook posted:

:sbahj:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
holy poo poo

pissss

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

DogonCrook posted:

I almost never go to see movies, so this post is a mystery to me. vOv

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Terrible Robot posted:

holy poo poo

pissss
:piss:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

The Locator posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memento_(film)

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Thank you. Makes perfect sense now. :v:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

The Locator posted:

Don't believe his lies

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Shai-Hulud posted:

Balljoint on the lower control arm ripped itself apart. Doesnt actually look that bad from underneath.
Anyone know if this could have hosed the, automatic, transmission? It slid like 20-30 meters like that...

tell me more about the day of the tentacle

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

sandoz posted:

Well it's an adventure game developed by Lucas Arts and released in 1993...waaait a minute...you didn't really want me to tell you about DOTT didn't you you cheeky bastard!

There's a big Luigi on the other side :haw:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

sandoz posted:

It is a good game.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Shai-Hulud posted:

When that happened to my 88 integra, transmission lasted another three years.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Horrible mechanical failure: PPO had the tie rod adjuster sleeve fail

Horrible mechanic failure:
PO "fixed" it this way

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
gently caress thats a lot of washers on those u bolts.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Oh, God, that's horrifying. How cheap can you get? Tie rod ends and adjuster sleeves can't be that expensive.
Also, what the hell were they trying to fix with the u-bolts on the spring pack?

And while I'm at it, that Yankee rust makes me want to cry and run away.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I dunno. I think the threads may be rusted off the 75 dollar right tie rod half, not sure. I have a brand new set of tie rods to install tonight so I can drive it home tomorrow, and will find out more later.

The adjusting sleeve may be rusted in half too.

E: to give you an idea of what kind of person I saved this boat from, he proclaimed he "n*****-rigged it" so he could drive it to work with the plates from his Ford ranger slapped on it with no insurance, and boasted about field bombing random cheap cars on the farm he works on while blind drunk. At least he knew he should sell this before he was tempted to do the same thing to it (and told me as much.)

kastein fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 25, 2017

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

kastein posted:

E: to give you an idea of what kind of person I saved this boat from, he proclaimed he "n*****-rigged it" so he could drive it to work with the plates from his Ford ranger slapped on it with no insurance, and boasted about field bombing random cheap cars on the farm he works on while blind drunk. At least he knew he should sell this before he was tempted to do the same thing to it (and told me as much.)

:trumppop:

Did you punch him in the mouth and / or run him over with the truck and take your money back? Because spouting that poo poo is inexcusable in TYoOL 2017.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Nah, because he has poo poo I want to buy and contacts I want to get so I can buy their poo poo too. After that he can suck it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Do a variation of what a guy I worked with did when he was trying to buy a house here back in the sixties when you need people to help collect stuff.

The sellers at the house he wanted just wouldn't deal with him, on account of the whole "being brown" thing. So he sent his (white) wife round to sort everything out (and apparently she was getting the "Oh, it's nice the house is being sold to someone respectable" comments too), and then once contracts had been exchanged etc, he got half a dozen of the biggest, blackest dudes he knew to be his moving crew, all the while waving cheerfully at the twitching net curtains of neighbouring houses.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
Not really condoning what dude said, but he sounds more country than racist. I don't think in my lifetime I've heard anyone say that as an outright racist remark so much as a country colloquialism. YMMV, etc...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

Not really condoning what dude said, but he sounds more country than racist. I don't think in my lifetime I've heard anyone say that as an outright racist remark so much as a country colloquialism. YMMV, etc...

There were some fine people n****r-rigging their trucks?