Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

pragan4 posted:

I'm planning a 3-night trip on the Four Pass Loop starting this Sunday. Does anyone know/remember if the trailhead has showers? Or somewhere else nearby that would let me shower.

I'll camp Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday nights and fly out of Denver Wednesday night but would like to shower before getting on the plane. Any ideas?

24 hour fitness or anytime fitness in denver, we stayed at a hotel but those would be my options. Its a beautiful hike have fun and take lots of photos.

Side note someone fell off Capital Peak last week when we were on the trail, another woman fell off north maroon peak a day or two before, so if you decide to peak bag be careful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Sunrise this morning over Little Tahoma from the top of Disappointment Cleaver (12,300') on Rainier. Sadly, the Cleaver lived up to its name - route to the summit was borked due to a collapsed snow plug on Saturday and a new route hadn't been found yet. My buddy and I hung out at Camp Muir (10,000' ft) on Saturday and then moved up to Ingraham Flats (11,000') on Sunday in hopes that we'd get good news from the guides up there. No good news was to be had so we slept in today and did a hike up to the top of the Cleaver for sunrise.

Here's looking south from the Cleaver. Ingraham Flats camp is in the lower left (you can see the tour tents, our independent tent is the invisible speck south of the tourists). Camp Muir is visible through Cadaver Gap in the lower/mid right. Mt. Adams is chillin' in the distance.

Good news, they found a route this afternoon so we're going back up next weekend to try again.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

Ropes4u posted:

24 hour fitness or anytime fitness in denver, we stayed at a hotel but those would be my options. Its a beautiful hike have fun and take lots of photos.

Side note someone fell off Capital Peak last week when we were on the trail, another woman fell off north maroon peak a day or two before, so if you decide to peak bag be careful.

Good idea—thanks. As a flatlander I’m going to be happy to survive the elevation changes so no peaks this trip.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Q8ee posted:

Might try my luck this year seeing about joining the hiking society at uni and meeting likeminded people there.

Do this for sure. University outdoors groups are almost universally filled with cool people who just want to share their love of nature.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Survived a camping trip with a 9 month old :toot:

He actually did quite well though it's easy to screw up their sleep schedules. Unfortunately I got sick the last night...bad food I guess, I'm not really sure.

I also discovered/remembered why I don't really like camping or backpacking with other people who aren't proven to be people who can either operate independently or on the same schedule as me. Our friends were also camping with us and it just took them forever to do things and get ready so we wasted a lot of good morning hiking hours because they were much more casual about getting up and out of camp. It wasn't like a huge deal, just mildly frustrating.

saw multiple bears too

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Levitate posted:

I also discovered/remembered why I don't really like camping or backpacking with other people who aren't proven to be people who can either operate independently or on the same schedule as me. Our friends were also camping with us and it just took them forever to do things and get ready so we wasted a lot of good morning hiking hours because they were much more casual about getting up and out of camp. It wasn't like a huge deal, just mildly frustrating.

This is such a classic problem. I wish there was a single solution for it, but realistically it's always seems to be an issue for group trips. I think the best thing that can be done is making it clear what your plans are at the outset - that way you can always just tell people that you'll meet up with them later if they want to do something else. The biggest problems always come from hikers and campers setting out together, only to realize that the two activities really don't have that much in common. Or neophyte hikers who really have no idea what their comfort limits are. But even like-minded backpackers can run into issues when one group has a bunch of stuff they want to check off their list, and the other is just taking it all in and letting themselves make their way along the route.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 15, 2017

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

eSporks posted:

I've been having the same thoughts as others about hammocks lately.
It started off cool because it was so small and light. Then I camped at a spot with the most relentless mosquito's I had ever seen and woke up with welts all over my face. My back was also getting pretty cold I had to start using a sleeping pad. And of course, if it rains, you need a tarp.
Once you start adding all these accessories, its big, bulky, heavy, and a pain to set up. I bought myself a nemo go go, and I might take the hammock along as well on the chance conditions are perfect for it. The hammock by itself is small and light enough that its not a big deal to take.

I mean, yeah, there's really no wrong or right answer so long as you're getting out and enjoying yourself. But you just gotta be prepared either way--hammocks are something you really should do your research on and dial in what you need to be comfortable, it's not as much of a one size fits all.

That being said, a bugnet, tarp, and bottom protection are kind essential pieces, same as you would need with a tent. If you're just taking a nap, great, but that's basically the same as going out and laying down a tarp on the ground and expecting not to have any comfort problems. Yeah, it may be great in certain places certain times of the year, but it's not really being prepared for anything.

Kaal posted:

This is such a classic problem. I wish there was a single solution for it, but realistically it's always seems to be an issue for group trips.
I think you're absolutely right, it just seems that with most people they prefer one or the other almost exclusively. It's tough to find people who are interested in backpacking and can actually keep up a decent pace

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Oh I agree, it's just that the initial draw to hammocking was weight, convenience, and comfort. The more I've used it and invested in gear, the more I've realized that for me a tent is better for all 3.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I read an article a while back that got me thinking about getting a double sleeping bag for me and my wife (clickbait-y titled article here: https://www.outsideonline.com/2174046/its-now-technically-superior-have-sex-while-backpacking).

We've been considering taking up backpacking, but we'd need new sleeping bags, as ours are more suited for the car camping we have done until now (I backpacked a lot growing up, but none as an adult). That article does a pretty good job selling the upsides of a double sleeping bag, and the integrated sleeping pad sounds so much nicer than sliding off a thermarest ten times a night.

Does anyone have any experience with double bags? I'll probably go with the Big Agnes suggested in that article unless someone suggests something else to consider. Or are they more gimmick than they're worth?

Also, I'm not sure what temperature rating to get (30 or 15 from Big Agnes). How much does it being a 2 person bag matter? We're in Oregon and will probably use it mostly in the summer or near-summer, which makes me think 30. But I don't want to end up going late fall and regret not having the 15. Is it better to err one way or another, or are there any other rules of thumb?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
It seems fairly common here that people shy away from double bags. Individual bags are more useful, often warmer and then you're not swapping stink with your partner.

If you're just car camping and don't need a 20º bag, just bring blankets or something. If you're backpacking, bring individual bags. They do make individual bags that zip together to make a double bag if you're so inclined to want one.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
Get individual sleeping bags.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Electoral Surgery posted:

This is what I did. I went with the BA back pad pocket, which is great. Just get a left/right zipper model and then you can zip and gently caress if you wanna.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

deong posted:

zip and gently caress if you wanna.

Don't do this. don't do this if you decide to share a lean-to with other hikers. Please for the love of god don't do this if you decide to share the wolfs jaw lean-to in the adirondacks with other hikers in October of 2014.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

who would want to gently caress in a sleeping bag and get it covered in bodily fluids that you'll need to spend the next few nights sleeping in? just bang outside of the bags, jesus christ.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Verman posted:

If you're backpacking, bring individual bags. They do make individual bags that zip together to make a double bag if you're so inclined to want one.
It often isn't an advertised feature, but if a company makes separate his and her bags they most likely will zip together.

incogneato posted:

clickbait-y titled article here...
Sex in sleeping bags is one of those things like sex in the shower. It is fun to fantasize about until you actually try it. Any bag warm enough to sleep in will turn into a sweaty soggy mess if you try to play in it.

As for keeping the right temperature while sleeping... there are the usual issues with sharing a bed that you should be familiar with now with two more variables thrown in: (usually) much colder ambient air, and less comfort leading to more tossing and turning. One person can shift around in a mummy bag and the bag will mostly just shift with them. When there are two people, shifting around causes the outside air to get pumped into the bag.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Also, farts.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Haha wow I really wasn't expecting such a strong negative response to the double sleeping bag question. We just thought it sounded more comfortable and pleasant, and the article I linked made a good case for it being lighter and cheaper. It had nothing to do with banging in a sleeping bag.

CopperHound posted:

As for keeping the right temperature while sleeping... there are the usual issues with sharing a bed that you should be familiar with now with two more variables thrown in: (usually) much colder ambient air, and less comfort leading to more tossing and turning. One person can shift around in a mummy bag and the bag will mostly just shift with them. When there are two people, shifting around causes the outside air to get pumped into the bag.

This is the best explanation I've seen. Thank you! We'll go back to looking at traditional single bags.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

incogneato posted:

banging in a sleeping bag..

That's the only reason i ask the same question. We are now sleeping in our own bags for the same reasons..

Kaal
May 22, 2002

incogneato posted:

This is the best explanation I've seen. Thank you! We'll go back to looking at traditional single bags.

I think the individual bags are a good call, for lots of reasons. As for what temperature rating to get: As a longtime Oregonian backpacker, I'd suggest the 30F bag over the 15F, unless you're really intending on doing some snowcamping. You're much more likely to be too warm during Spring and Fall, rather than too cold. The thinner bag will be lighter, and generally more comfortable. Though again one of the advantages of having two individual bags is that they can be different weights if you or your partner runs a little cold.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 16, 2017

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

you're in the great outdoors, you should be banging outdoors and not in a tent :colbert:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

incogneato posted:

I read an article a while back that got me thinking about getting a double sleeping bag for me and my wife (clickbait-y titled article here: https://www.outsideonline.com/2174046/its-now-technically-superior-have-sex-while-backpacking).

We've been considering taking up backpacking, but we'd need new sleeping bags, as ours are more suited for the car camping we have done until now (I backpacked a lot growing up, but none as an adult). That article does a pretty good job selling the upsides of a double sleeping bag, and the integrated sleeping pad sounds so much nicer than sliding off a thermarest ten times a night.

Does anyone have any experience with double bags? I'll probably go with the Big Agnes suggested in that article unless someone suggests something else to consider. Or are they more gimmick than they're worth?

Also, I'm not sure what temperature rating to get (30 or 15 from Big Agnes). How much does it being a 2 person bag matter? We're in Oregon and will probably use it mostly in the summer or near-summer, which makes me think 30. But I don't want to end up going late fall and regret not having the 15. Is it better to err one way or another, or are there any other rules of thumb?

Rule of thumb is that you never see these abominations out in the wild in the first place. Last thing you want is to cuddle when you both smell like rear end and you're tired and cold. Also, if you ever want to go backpacking by yourself or other people (which will presumably be the majority of trips you take), you'll need a whole different sleeping bag for that. It's just impractical on every level.

Just get the individual bags that can zip together and ignore the lovely clickbait written by someone who has never had sex or gone backpacking in their life.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I want a double bag for car camping by myself.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Leaving tomorrow for my first solo wilderness backpacking trip in a long time. Just two easy days/nights. Wife meeting me at the end to drive me back home on Sunday.

Doing the first two sections of the Silver Mocassin Trail. Here's my map:

https://caltopo.com/m/EH41

And my lighterpack:

https://lighterpack.com/r/d1d26h

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Uh while talking about bags, what do you think about quilts? I have an old 1,6kg down bag (with stuff sack), the label says it's "95/5" arctic goose down with 750 grams of fill. It works fine but I'm wondering if I could save some weight with a quilt and not compromise warmth or comfort.

I use thermarest x-therm (r5.7), in winter I add z-lite sol (r2.6) to add some extra warmth. My tent is a Tarptent Scarp 2 with solid innertent - it was one of the few double-walled tents with room for 200cm tall persons.

Summer temps here are around 10-15C and Autumn and Spring are around 0-10C. I haven't bothered with colder than -10C during winter, and the bag works fine in those temperatures. It's maybe a bit warm during summer but not too bad.

So what kind of quilt would work during spring-autumn? I've been eyeing Enlightened Equipment Revelation quilts because of the customizability and price. A long/wide -6C (I guess that's a "you don't freeze to death temp rating) bag weighs around 650g which would save me from carrying nearly a kilo.

At what temps you need more than a beanie & scarf/buff? Would the hole in footbox cause drafts (they sell a closed footbox version called Enigma too)? In general how drafty quilts are compared to bags?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I have an EE quilt I've used for years now. I think it's a 10 degree F bag but I've never had to use it below freezing to see how it holds up.

Generally, they can be quite warm but you are more likely to get some drafts especially if you move around while sleeping. They come with some straps to attach them to your pad to help mitigate that, but I've found the opening is probably the biggest worry for drafts when it gets real cold. The version I have has a drawstring you can cinch down around your neck but it still feels a little weird and hard to get closed up. May not be a huge issue compared to bags though, been awhile since I used a full bag.

I probably wear a hat when it's below 40 degrees F but depends on how warm your tent keeps as well. The hole in the footbox...might cause a tiny draft? I've been debating that myself. Often I just stuff some extra clothes down there to help block it off anyways.

Generally I like it but it can be draftier and that's a bigger deal when you're talking freezing and below

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

At least for now I plan to use the quilt only in above freezing conditions, until I get one and try it out. It's hard to say, because how cold/warm you sleep depends on so many things.

The scarp 2 fits two big men, and whenever I find a backpacking friend to share the tent, it gets noticeably warmer inside than just sleeping alone. Even alone the tent helps somewhat (I should carry a thermometer to test it..). I've been looking for a 1p tent but they all seem to be too small or nearly the same weight (1,8kg).

If the footbox hole is drafty, if neccessary, I can probably sew some kind of down sock to the quilt with velcro/button/straps or something to close it up. Buying Enigma with closed footbox would be safer, but the idea of a fully open quilt is interesting. I could also use it during winter with my mummy bag to sleep in even colder weather.

The only way to find out what actually works is to buy a quilt and see. People seem to have generally good experiences with EE's quilts and you are no exception to that :)

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

my only real complaint is that I have an older version, one of their first designs, and I find the down travels between the baffles too easily for my liking. I think their new designs are better about that.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

I've got a synthetic quit from as tucas, I've only had a chance to use it one night so far but I really liked it. It's rated at 0 C but it didn't get below 7-8 C that night, kept me nice and warm a windy nigh above treeline though.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Just got back from climbing mt adams.

I had to work Thursday so we Drove up late Thursday night and car camped near the trailhead when we arrived around 1am.

Hiked to lunch counter Friday morning/afternoon and went to bed around 7pm. I woke up to see the sunset over mt st Helens and went right back to bed. It was windy at night, constant 20mph, gusts over 30. I put in earplugs and slept sound through the night. So soundly that I slept through my 5am alarm. And my 530 alarm. And my 6am alarm. I woke up at 630 to the sunrise casting a shadow of mt adams over st Helens and the area.

We headed up to the summit around 7am. Reached it around 11. Saw the surrounding peaks and froze my rear end off. We sat beside the structure on the south side because it was much warmer and not windy so that was great.

The glissade... oh the glissade. It was epic. 2,000 feet of straight rear end sliding from the false summit back to lunch counter. My rear end was numb but I couldn't get the smile off my face. At one point I thought I could handle a camera and just go slow. Nope. I popped out of a banked corner and ended up outside the chute ... on my back ... head first downhill. Somehow I held onto my camera, managed to spin back around and ended up back in the chute. So stupid.

We got back around 530 pm and rather than car camping one more night, we decided to just drive home to eat real food and shower.

I'll upload pics later. I'm beat.

Also ... gently caress volcanic dust forever.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Verman posted:

Just got back from climbing mt adams.

I had to work Thursday so we Drove up late Thursday night and car camped near the trailhead when we arrived around 1am.

Hiked to lunch counter Friday morning/afternoon and went to bed around 7pm. I woke up to see the sunset over mt st Helens and went right back to bed. It was windy at night, constant 20mph, gusts over 30. I put in earplugs and slept sound through the night. So soundly that I slept through my 5am alarm. And my 530 alarm. And my 6am alarm. I woke up at 630 to the sunrise casting a shadow of mt adams over st Helens and the area.

We headed up to the summit around 7am. Reached it around 11. Saw the surrounding peaks and froze my rear end off. We sat beside the structure on the south side because it was much warmer and not windy so that was great.

The glissade... oh the glissade. It was epic. 2,000 feet of straight rear end sliding from the false summit back to lunch counter. My rear end was numb but I couldn't get the smile off my face. At one point I thought I could handle a camera and just go slow. Nope. I popped out of a banked corner and ended up outside the chute ... on my back ... head first downhill. Somehow I held onto my camera, managed to spin back around and ended up back in the chute. So stupid.

We got back around 530 pm and rather than car camping one more night, we decided to just drive home to eat real food and shower.

I'll upload pics later. I'm beat.

Also ... gently caress volcanic dust forever.

Gopro....

Photos from the summit?

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Last March I turned 40 and made it my goal to summit Mt. Rainier. I've lived in Washington for my whole life and grew up in the mountains camping and hiking. Last weekend, we attempted to climb but were thwarted by a collapse along the route, making it impossible to get to the summit without some serious shenanigans (which we weren't prepared for). We hung out at high camp, climbed to the top of Disappointment Cleaver (12,300') and then went home after deciding to wait a week and see if the guide services would find a new way to the top. They did the next day of course.

Fast forward to this past weekend: yesterday I completed my goal and summited Rainier at 5:45am. My buddy and I did it as a two-man team and were the first on the summit after leaving high camp (Ingraham Flats, 11,100 feet) at about 1am. We were on the Disappointment Cleaver route which is normally the "freeway" to the top but, due to the late season and many collapses along the way, it's pretty lovely up there and the route is about twice as long and drops elevation along the way. Rainier also marks the completion of one of my bucket list items as I've now summited all the volcanos in Washington state!

Sunrise from 14,411'

Mt. Adams and the western edge of Rainier's crater

Prolly shouldn't stop here, eh?

Just another standard ladder crossing

My buddy climbing up the Wall of the North

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Braincloud posted:

Last March I turned 40 and made it my goal to summit Mt. Rainier. I've lived in Washington for my whole life and grew up in the mountains camping and hiking. Last weekend, we attempted to climb but were thwarted by a collapse along the route, making it impossible to get to the summit without some serious shenanigans (which we weren't prepared for). We hung out at high camp, climbed to the top of Disappointment Cleaver (12,300') and then went home after deciding to wait a week and see if the guide services would find a new way to the top. They did the next day of course.

Fast forward to this past weekend: yesterday I completed my goal and summited Rainier at 5:45am. My buddy and I did it as a two-man team and were the first on the summit after leaving high camp (Ingraham Flats, 11,100 feet) at about 1am. We were on the Disappointment Cleaver route which is normally the "freeway" to the top but, due to the late season and many collapses along the way, it's pretty lovely up there and the route is about twice as long and drops elevation along the way. Rainier also marks the completion of one of my bucket list items as I've now summited all the volcanos in Washington state!

Sunrise from 14,411'

Mt. Adams and the western edge of Rainier's crater

Prolly shouldn't stop here, eh?

Just another standard ladder crossing

My buddy climbing up the Wall of the North

Oh man, awesome and congratulations.

Totally not uploading my Mt Adams photos now.

Here's a panorama of us at Lunch Counter after we summited and were heading back to the car. My friend was packing up his stuff while I jumped on a rock to film this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q36yxkf_CyQ

This was my video on how not to glissade properly. After making it halfway down the mountain just using my feet to control my speed I felt comfortable trying to get a video. Boy was I wrong. Luckily it worked out but it could have been bad. I'm usually the one not taking stupid risks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3E3PbJMMDo

I'll get photos up when I have a chance to go through them.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Here are some photos of my trip up Mt. Adams. There's a lot more but these ones stood out.

Its funny because I've really stopped trying to make the best image possible on my hiking trips now. Most of my buddies aren't photographers and I feel like a burden constantly stopping to take photos. Now I just hike with an RX100 versus a bulky SLR and sometimes maybe a gorilla pod. Most of my shots are taken rather quickly or while taking a short break. I usually try to hike ahead so that I'm not always playing catch up.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

Verman posted:

Most of my buddies aren't photographers

Give me your friends. This weekend I was the only person out of six without an SLR. You already got that waterfall from two other positions and we have 15 miles to go :argh:

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
That looks like something I could do, unless it's like rope and glacier crossings.

My hiking buddy is into $15k camera equipment, but fortunately he has to have perfect lighting so I've not yet been offended by his picture requirements.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Give me your friends. This weekend I was the only person out of six without an SLR. You already got that waterfall from two other positions and we have 15 miles to go :argh:

I'm married to a professional photographer and like to cover distance quickly. I've learned to bite my tongue on hikes while internally screaming.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

That looks like something I could do, unless it's like rope and glacier crossings.

Its pretty doable by most hikers. You just need real crampons (microspikes didn't look very successful for people using them) and an ice axe. Some people used hiking poles but they won't help as much as an axe would if you slipped on a steep slope. Knowing how to use them, knowing how to self arrest, and knowing how to properly glissade are even more important. Also, the french step for ascending a steep slope is a lifesaver.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Do any coats with hoods come in the ultra-portable form where they can be folded into themselves? It's been an oddly wet August here in New Mexico and I hate being caught out in a cold storm without something to keep me dry.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

My hiking buddies are usually carrying hassleblads. They don't stop for constant pictures because film is expensive, so if they take a picture its going to be a good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Got through the Whites and Franconia Ridge and Washington were rainfests. I fully expect my Katahdin summit to be similar based on getting no views in the major “scenic” areas.