Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I know this has been discussed a bit here, but I'm coming up on the return period for my airpods and I'm curious if there's anything that comes close to the convenience they offer. I prefer the way the beats x sounds and their better isolation, but I'm finding that the ease of pairing, lack of cord, ease of recharging, call quality, and overall convenience of the airpods is hard to give up. Is there anything out there or in the pipeline that comes close?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

All that you mention is too subjective around your own experience to really suggest much.
For instance, I've never found pairing anything BT a hassle. NFC offers the same pairing convenience, but of course it's not available on iOS.

Most inline mics are about the same, really.
I'd look at $30-50 wireless IEMs as they're good enough in quality (and most are better than airpods at that price wrt music) to not be poor, whilst being so cheap they're hard to want to up sell yourself from.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Khablam posted:

NFC offers the same pairing convenience, but of course it's not available on iOS.

Don't AirPods pair with NFC on iPhone? You have to hold the open case pretty close; if it was BT only, every time you'd open the case every iPhone around would pop up the "Not Your AirPods ... Connect?" screen.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Residency Evil posted:

I know this has been discussed a bit here, but I'm coming up on the return period for my airpods and I'm curious if there's anything that comes close to the convenience they offer. I prefer the way the beats x sounds and their better isolation, but I'm finding that the ease of pairing, lack of cord, ease of recharging, call quality, and overall convenience of the airpods is hard to give up. Is there anything out there or in the pipeline that comes close?

You could check out the wirecutter article on “true wireless headphones” http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-true-wireless-headphones/

Me, I’m done with wires.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Pivo posted:

Don't AirPods pair with NFC on iPhone? You have to hold the open case pretty close; if it was BT only, every time you'd open the case every iPhone around would pop up the "Not Your AirPods ... Connect?" screen.

Yes, the "apple pairing magic" is just NFC with a tie in to your iCloud account, but it's still locked out of anything else using NFC.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just to have a more positive post about home automation, the Wink stuff on iPhones works pretty well most of the time at least. I can pick up my phone and flick into my control panel in about 1/2 second and turn either individual or grouped lights on or off (I guess someone did something to our house before we bought it so none of the light switches on the wall actually control the lights). The Android implementation is so bad, I used to get text messages off my wife asking me to turn certain lights on/off for her.

I brought this up in the Wink Facebook group and some guy responded to me with the typical 'I use Android because is gives me CUSTOMIZATION POWER!' screenshot that was just a disgusting mess of impossible to understand icons that needed multiple buttons per light, and tried to explain to me why this was actually better. Never change, Android power users.

Also we seem to have a new no-left turn sign on a route I use in Uber a lot, and I'm intrigued as to whether submitting reports to all the mapping apps will be easier than if someone was to just take the drat sign back down.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Khablam posted:

For instance, I've never found pairing anything BT a hassle. NFC offers the same pairing convenience, but of course it's not available on iOS.

I've never quite got this one either - 'manual' pairing is hardly difficult and it only need to be done once anyway.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Michael Scott posted:

The copy paper would probably have been cheaper on Amazon even with the sale. I rarely pay attention to ads because in my experience simple price shopping works much better than advertised 'sales'.

Sure, but this was the first time I saw an ad specifically associated with my drive. Like offering a reroute in case I wanted something. Also, maybe I'm out of copy paper and keep forgetting to order some.

I guess the next stage is Waze keeping track of the drive-thru's I frequent and reminding if one of those restaurants are nearby when I'm driving around mealtime.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 22, 2017

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

To be honest if I had like a wishlist of stuff set up that "I want to buy eventually but not right now" and some app said, "hey you're near a store that has this in stock for 25% below the historic average price" I would be so jazzed about that.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

dissss posted:

I've never quite got this one either - 'manual' pairing is hardly difficult and it only need to be done once anyway.
You could argue it’s a small thing, but the airpods (and I assume W1 Beats stuff) show up in the audio options of whatever is playing audio, so switching between devices is easier.

Example: I was listening to music on my phone (so my earphones were connected to that), and now want to watch a YouTube video on my iPad.

Airpods: just select them from the audio drop down on the YouTube app or web page.

Other BT phones: go into settings/Bluetooth and tap the earphones to connect, then go back to YouTube.

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...
Are yootech protectors still recommended as a go-to Glass Screen Protector for a normal iPhone 7?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

NerdsMcGee posted:

Are yootech protectors still recommended as a go-to Glass Screen Protector for a normal iPhone 7?

Careful with those words, people are going to get triggered seeing "screen protector".

Yootech has been great for me across several phones.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Just to have a more positive post about home automation, the Wink stuff on iPhones works pretty well most of the time at least. I can pick up my phone and flick into my control panel in about 1/2 second and turn either individual or grouped lights on or off (I guess someone did something to our house before we bought it so none of the light switches on the wall actually control the lights). The Android implementation is so bad, I used to get text messages off my wife asking me to turn certain lights on/off for her.

I brought this up in the Wink Facebook group and some guy responded to me with the typical 'I use Android because is gives me CUSTOMIZATION POWER!' screenshot that was just a disgusting mess of impossible to understand icons that needed multiple buttons per light, and tried to explain to me why this was actually better. Never change, Android power users.

Also we seem to have a new no-left turn sign on a route I use in Uber a lot, and I'm intrigued as to whether submitting reports to all the mapping apps will be easier than if someone was to just take the drat sign back down.

Apple Home makes home automation so much better. I'm not dissing on the other unifer services because I haven't used Alexa or Google Home, but being able to just flick up on my phone and change my lights in two motions (3 on ios11 which is still good) is nice.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The nice thing is that most everything with HomeKit also has Alexa and/or Google Home integration, so if you want to play with your phone you can do it or you can yell at things. Either way.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rick posted:

Apple Home makes home automation so much better. I'm not dissing on the other unifer services because I haven't used Alexa or Google Home, but being able to just flick up on my phone and change my lights in two motions (3 on ios11 which is still good) is nice.

Yeah same deal, just a swipe in a different direction I think. There's a Wink/HomeKit bridge I'm going to install to see how it works, mainly out of curiosity. I would've gone HomeKit native but a bunch of stuff I wanted to try isn't compatible with it hardware wise, and the wife is on Android anyway.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Also, it's super easy to setup a docker image or Linux instance running Homebridge, and then almost anything becomes a HomeKit-controlled smart device.

As much as Apple doesn't seem to care about home automation at all, HomeKit is easily the best of all the major systems.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Can someone explain how an Apple TV works as a Homelink bridge? If I wanted to hook up some Phillips Hue lights would I need a Phillips hub or could I just link everything via the Apple TV?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
You need a Hue bridge.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Log into the the Apple TV with your iCloud account and I think there's a setting to turn Homekit On/Off.

Devices just automatically see it pretty much. For bulbs, you'll need a hub for the hue. There's sockets that a Home Kit compatible. There are bulbs coming out 'soon' that don't require a hub and just work directly with Home Kit.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Other BT phones: go into settings/Bluetooth and tap the earphones to connect, then go back to YouTube.

I feel like you've watched an ad for airpods and not used other BT headphones.
A lot pair to a couple of devices and switch, and those that don't need you to only toggle BT from the swipe-up to have them move to the other device.

Sure, if you're sitting at a desk with a MBP, iPad, watch and iPhone a W1 chip will pay for it's convenience, but if you have a mix of devices it doesn't give you much.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

You could argue it’s a small thing, but the airpods (and I assume W1 Beats stuff) show up in the audio options of whatever is playing audio, so switching between devices is easier.

Example: I was listening to music on my phone (so my earphones were connected to that), and now want to watch a YouTube video on my iPad.

Airpods: just select them from the audio drop down on the YouTube app or web page.

But something like that already happens?

I have my headphones paired with both devices and it’ll play audio from whichever one is playing audio without me having to do anything.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Doesn’t work that way with either pair of BT headphones I have. So if yours can do that, then yeah that point is ... um, pointless.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Residency Evil posted:

I own the Beats X, the Power Beats 3 and the AirPods... I use the AirPods. Keep your drat AirPods. Aren't you an attending now? The things are the best out there, keep them.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't have Airpods because I can't wear Earpods for more than a half hour without wanting to tear them from my ears, but I have BeatsX and just got PowerBeats 3. I don't really notice a sound difference, but I find the BeatsX much more comfortable for day to day stuff (though I'm only getting about 6 hours of battery out of them now :negative:). I use the PB3s for the gym, though. They're much better for there.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Log into the the Apple TV with your iCloud account and I think there's a setting to turn Homekit On/Off.

Devices just automatically see it pretty much. For bulbs, you'll need a hub for the hue. There's sockets that a Home Kit compatible. There are bulbs coming out 'soon' that don't require a hub and just work directly with Home Kit.

That would be nice. I mean I already have a hub at this point so I don't need them but I think it's still an impediment to ownership for a lot of people that the hub is required. And I figure the more people own them, the cheaper the bulbs will get.

It made sense to have hubs three years ago, but at this point they really don't do much.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

They, uh, translate from WiFi to the zigbee protocol the bulbs use. No one is going to build zigbee into a phone so you’re going to need some hub or another to connect up (and the Phillips ones are dirt cheap anyway.)

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Kalman posted:

They, uh, translate from WiFi to the zigbee protocol the bulbs use. No one is going to build zigbee into a phone so you’re going to need some hub or another to connect up (and the Phillips ones are dirt cheap anyway.)

Also worth nothing that Philips stuff is very rare in that they make competent IoT devices. Most other smart bulbs make it easy for anyone to hack them as a joke.

Khablam posted:

I feel like you've watched an ad for airpods and not used other BT headphones.
A lot pair to a couple of devices and switch, and those that don't need you to only toggle BT from the swipe-up to have them move to the other device.

Sure, if you're sitting at a desk with a MBP, iPad, watch and iPhone a W1 chip will pay for it's convenience, but if you have a mix of devices it doesn't give you much.

Yes this, if you only ever listen from iPhone, almost any BT headphones will connect and switch audio as soon as they power on.

If you want to switch between a couple of things, phone and laptop frequently, then it's worth getting a modern decent Bluetooth headphone which supports multipoint : I.e. simultaneous pairing to 2 sources.

And if you only use apple stuff, have more than 2 source devices (MacBook, iPhone, iPad) then the w1 stuff might be worth it for convenience.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

phone keeps giving the "this accessory may not be supported" when plugged into the wall charger.
more likely to be a duff lightning cable or the charger?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Cerv posted:

phone keeps giving the "this accessory may not be supported" when plugged into the wall charger.

That's usually/always the cable, unless you're using a MFi-branded cable (or an official one.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Cerv posted:

Could also be lint in your charging port. Wooden toothpicks are good for removing that.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Cerv posted:

In order of likeliness:

Lint in the port >>> Cable >>>>>>>>>> charger

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I have an absolutely ancient iPhone 3G. (Yeah, I know I should upgrade, but I've never really needed lots of bells and whistles, and I can't afford to upgrade anyway.) When I plug it in, it doesn't show up in my computer or iTunes (Windows 7).

- Unplugging and plugging it back in doesn't work.
- I don't see any corrosion on the contacts or dust preventing the plug from connecting.
- It doesn't change when plugged into the computer, but it charges fine plugged into the wall, but only if I completely drain the battery first. (That's what I've usually done since getting it). Someone said that means the battery is dying or dead, but it does still work.
- Taking a picture and unplugging and re-plugging it in does not work.

I'd really like to get it working so I can add more music to it, but none of the options I've tried have worked.

One video suggested that I use their software (CopyTrans) to fix this, but I'm not just going to blindly download and install strange software.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I have an absolutely ancient iPhone 3G. (Yeah, I know I should upgrade, but I've never really needed lots of bells and whistles, and I can't afford to upgrade anyway.) When I plug it in, it doesn't show up in my computer or iTunes (Windows 7).

- Unplugging and plugging it back in doesn't work.
- I don't see any corrosion on the contacts or dust preventing the plug from connecting.
- It doesn't change when plugged into the computer, but it charges fine plugged into the wall, but only if I completely drain the battery first. (That's what I've usually done since getting it). Someone said that means the battery is dying or dead, but it does still work.
- Taking a picture and unplugging and re-plugging it in does not work.

I'd really like to get it working so I can add more music to it, but none of the options I've tried have worked.

One video suggested that I use their software (CopyTrans) to fix this, but I'm not just going to blindly download and install strange software.

Buy a new phone with an operating system that is still supported and gets security updates. There really is no reason to not be using at least a 5S.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Honestly, at this point I don't know that there's anyone here who'll be able to help you with an 8-year-old phone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I honestly wouldn't be shocked if Apple stopped supplying drivers for a phone that ancient.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

9 years, innit?

Most field-ready professional electronics (cameras, hardened laptops) can't survive 9 years of daily field use without major overhauls/repairs. Dust & corrosive material & humidity gets to the circuit board, seals dry out & fail, the battery certainly shouldn't be very good after ~3k cycles... I wouldn't expect a piece of sensitive un-hardened consumer electronics to last 9 years out & about, god knows what that circuit board looks like by this point.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I feel like we've just stumbled across a lost tribe in the Amazon and everything they do seems so strange and foreign.

Can you multi-task? Does it still take 4 or 5 steps to turn off wifi or Bluetooth? Can you listen to Pandora and use another app at the same time? Do you still have the planet Earth wallpaper?

I got a 3Gs working recently and it was so weird. I think it maxed out at iOS 4. Every photo on the phone was blurry.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I think the science museum in Amsterdam has that phone as an exhibit no joke

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Yeah, I know. I wasn't really holding out much hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Welp, get your credit cards ready..

https://9to5mac.com/2017/08/23/iphone-8-september-12-event-rumor/

And on September 12th every single iPhone 7 owner realizes they're no longer on the bleeding edge :shepicide: