Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
An alternate reality where Barry Bonds is signed by the Colorado Rockies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

altuve has the best shot as of now. if acuna is for real and produces at his highest level, maybe

we're still talking a < 1% chance for either of them at their peak

also note fields are way smaller and defenses are way better nowadays

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Aug 23, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tom Gorman posted:

There were more than a few disgusting streaks that Albert went on that I thought might have a chance.

Ichiro might have done it, but I wouldn't have put money on it. Tony Gwynn, always.

At the time, Nomar was the guy I felt had the most legitimate shot in his short prime. Even above Bonds, at some point between 1999 and 2001.

Didn't Helton carry .400 into, like, August one year?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

MrMojok posted:

I've been thinking about something for a while. I've thought for years we wouldn't see anyone hit .400 again. Nobody can maintain the level needed against modern pitching to finish up there.

Then, watching Judge in the derby. Seeing how he was swinging in round three just like he did in the first round. He looked kind of like he was at the driving range. He's a huge, strong dude but people get bigger all the time and there are going to be other really big, strong dudes showing up. Now imagine a guy Judge's size with a great eye for the zone and great discipline. A guy who makes you throw strikes. Joey Votto in Judge's body. And he stays healthy.

.400, yes or no?

Nope.

The thing with Judge is that he's always going to strike out a lot. Plate discipline can cut down on that by some but when you're swinging that hard, it's much more difficult to adjust to a pitch with late movement, or to lay off one that breaks out of the zone.

Timby posted:

Didn't Helton carry .400 into, like, August one year?

In 2000 he was only over .400 until June 10th, but he was at .393 on September 1st.

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Aug 23, 2017

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
If we're talking about who carried a >400 average the latest into the year (post-Williams), I think Olerud 93 still holds that record. There was a Tony Fernandez year in either the late 90s or early 00s where he also was over 400 into June or July.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Hand Knit posted:

If we're talking about who carried a >400 average the latest into the year (post-Williams), I think Olerud 93 still holds that record. There was a Tony Fernandez year in either the late 90s or early 00s where he also was over 400 into June or July.

If I"m reading game logs right Olerud only made it to August 2nd over .400. George Brett was over .400 at September 19th in 1980.

Checking Gwynn's 1994 he was never over .400 after May which is kind of amazing, because he was always right there. Like he rarely went below .380 and spent a ton of games over .390 but didn't crack .400 at any point before the strike.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Albert hit #610 last night, now in sole possession of most HR by a player born outside the US and 2 back from Thome. He's also at 2931 hits and 1896 RBI .

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
still irritated that pillar got thrown out last night. Dude took pride in never having been thrown out like Jeter, and he breaks the streak on some everyday bullshit like that.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Altuve's still hitting .418 on the road, impossibly

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Tom Gorman posted:

There were more than a few disgusting streaks that Albert went on that I thought might have a chance.

Ichiro might have done it, but I wouldn't have put money on it. Tony Gwynn, always.

At the time, Nomar was the guy I felt had the most legitimate shot in his short prime. Even above Bonds, at some point between 1999 and 2001.

It's amazing how fast Nomar's career fell off a cliff. I guess it was somewhat injury related?

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
I think that's a bit of an understatement. He coulda been a contenda' :smith:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

NiceGuy posted:

I think that's somewhat of an understatement. He coulda been a contenda' :smith:

At the time I honestly thought Nomar would end up the best player out of him/Arod/Jeter. I mean this was a somewhat legit debate back at that point.

I'm also dumb, especially looking back at what Rodriguez had already accomplished. But I wasn't the only one.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

tadashi posted:

It's amazing how fast Nomar's career fell off a cliff. I guess it was somewhat injury related?

Almost completely injury-related. That wrist sheath injury he had completely changed his swing, and then he had I think an Achilles injury, and then his groin exploded at the beginning of his first full season with the Cubs. He was never the same after all of that.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I feel like late 90s Nomar really didn't have a comparable in the history of the game (Honus wager?)...he was really something

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Timby posted:

Almost completely injury-related. That wrist sheath injury he had completely changed his swing, and then he had I think an Achilles injury, and then his groin exploded at the beginning of his first full season with the Cubs. He was never the same after all of that.

I remember when he first came to the Cubs and healthy, I was so excited. My hopes died with his groin. That was horrible to watch live. :smith:

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Braves are bringing up closer or at least setup man of the future A.J. Minter. Max Fried going the other way to get back to starting games again.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Sergio Romo's WHIP since joining the Rays is down to 0.800 in 15 IP, from 1.400 in 25 IP with the Dodgers. He's fixed, hallelujah.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Luigi Thirty posted:

Sergio Romo's WHIP since joining the Rays is down to 0.800 in 15 IP, from 1.400 in 25 IP with the Dodgers. He's fixed, hallelujah.

Changing divisions probably didn't hurt either.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

New Concept Hole posted:

Changing divisions probably didn't hurt either.

Changing leagues was something I saw a note of that people seemed to discount entirely.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Tyson Ross stood up tall last night and yanked the crown of "worst Texas Rangers pitcher" from the rest of the team.

He is really, really bad.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Shinjobi posted:

Tyson Ross stood up tall last night and yanked the crown of "worst Texas Rangers pitcher" from the rest of the team.

Not everyone can be as talented as ace, opening day starter, Ricky Nolasco.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Rosey to have TJS. It was nice having Good Rosey back for a little while. :sigh:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Shinjobi posted:

Part of me was disappointed when the Cubs didn't sign him. Glad we dodged that bullet.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
I'm so glad that terrible marge avatar is gone.

Go Yankees.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Your Taint posted:

Part of me was disappointed when the Cubs didn't sign him. Glad we dodged that bullet.

I mean, they signed Anderson instead, and that didn't turn out much better.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

https://twitter.com/EvanDrellich/status/900495966960320514

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
Red Sox are apparently picking up Rajai Davis from Oakland

God dammit Jackie's thumb is more hosed up than they're letting on isn't it

edit: beaten :argh:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

They've said Bradley is going to be in a brace for a minimum of a week, but that there was no ligament damage.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

humpthewind posted:

I'm so glad that terrible marge avatar is gone.

Go Yankees.

The Yankees need to figure out some way to convince Gary it's always August.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

gently caress Rajai Davis forever amen.

actually he seems ok

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Inspector_666 posted:

The Yankees need to figure out some way to convince Gary it's always August.

Just make calendars that only have August every time you flip it

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Your Taint posted:

gently caress Rajai Davis forever amen.

actually he seems ok

Nah, his dinger off Chapman in game 7 was good and cool, even if it was ultimately pointless. Pretty sure I went apeshit and posted like some kind of Jerk when that happened.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Rich Hill is a pitcher for the Dodgers, you may want to look into him if you haven't.

humpthewind posted:

Just make calendars that only have August every time you flip it

Also tell Tanaka that they lengthened Spring Training until mid-October.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
The Orioles are the dumbest team in baseball. They shoulda traded Britton while they had the chance and someone maybe gave up something great for him.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Kawalimus posted:

The Orioles are the dumbest team in baseball. They shoulda traded Britton while they had the chance and someone maybe gave up something great for him.

Every night the Astros bullpen blows up, I get a little angrier at Baltimore for refusing that trade

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i've always liked rajai davis even though he is the only player in the history of baseball who has inadvertently taken months off of my life

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

i've always liked rajai davis even though he is the only player in the history of baseball who has inadvertently taken months off of my life

Just sit in that one section where Addison Russell throws like 5 bats a game, you'll get there

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
For a brief, shining moment Rajai Davis was my favorite player in the world last year. I think my exact post was something like "gently caress you, Chapman, you wife-beating piece of poo poo" except in all caps and with no punctuation. And possibly some typos. And bodily fluids flying towards the screen.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Pancakes posted:

For a brief, shining moment Rajai Davis was my favorite player in the world last year. I think my exact post was something like "gently caress you, Chapman, you wife-beating piece of poo poo" except in all caps and with no punctuation. And possibly some typos. And bodily fluids flying towards the screen.

Same, but I also shouted it in my living room while fist-pumping the air. That game took years off my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Same, but I also shouted it in my living room while fist-pumping the air. That game took years off my life.

Found it, I was right about what I posted. You posted:

"EAT poo poo YOU loving WIFEBEATING PIECE OF HUMAN GARNAHE gently caress YESSSSSSSS"

• Locked thread