Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Nintendo?
This poll is closed.
Nintendon't 45 22.73%
Nintendoomed 22 11.11%
Nintendrone 13 6.57%
Nintendovahkiin 55 27.78%
Nintend'oh! 63 31.82%
Total: 198 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

stop saying chorizo i don't have any chorizo to eat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Trying to find a video of the World's Smallest Nuclear Bomb from MDK but it predated the era where every funny moment of every game showed up individually on youtube :/

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hey, let him eat what he wants. If he's missing out on a cool flavor, hopefully he'll come to like it someday.
*the guy who couldn't tell if he's looking at a shrimp or a croissant nods sagely*

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

haveblue posted:

Trying to find a video of the World's Smallest Nuclear Bomb from MDK but it predated the era where every funny moment of every game showed up individually on youtube :/

I have MDK so if you want to buy me a component to HDMI upscaler I will play through it and record that part for you

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Palpek posted:

*the guy who couldn't tell if he's looking at a shrimp or a croissant nods sagely*

Shrimp tend to be pink and have tails, croissants are super flakey.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

What if it's breaded shrimp

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Also I picked up Shadow Tactics, and it's fantastic. I had one small moment of frustration with the game getting stuck and refusing to let me do a downward jumping kill after I used the non-lethal attack, but it hasn't recurred, and otherwise it's exactly what I thought and hoped it would be.

:yeah: I beat the last mission last night and I loved every minute I spent with it. There were some frustrating parts where I would try to set up some elaborate distraction that would give me just enough time to kill someone but in most cases once I got a foothold in an area it was just a matter of finding the weakest link. I finished with 65% of the trophies, and it looks like a number of the remaining ones would be easy enough to scoop up but I don't think I have the willpower to get all the badges for all the stages. I spent long enough going through it once, going through it again and trying to beat the hardcore mode and the speedrun badges seems impossible if I ever want to play another game again. The rarest badge I got was for killing all the enemies with the developer names (0.6%) which seems weird because it certainly wasn't particularly difficult. Maybe the stages would be easier if I didn't make that a priority, though.

I ran into a few minor bugs, including one that prevented all three members of a Shadow Mode kill from jumping off the same rope to kill a patrol, but nothing game-breaking.

I give it two enthusiastic thumbs up!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

In Training posted:

I have MDK so if you want to buy me a component to HDMI upscaler I will play through it and record that part for you

if you do this can you also get a closeup of the world's most interesting bomb

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
It turns out we've been calling Metroids the wrong thing for decades.

The Chozo always meant for them to be called Mergatroids.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Norns posted:

What if it's breaded shrimp

Breaded shrimp still has a tail, right? I haven't had it in years so I'm not sure.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I've seen it both ways

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

I got to a mission in AC0 where you are at the receiving end of a nuclear attack. How many games have done this? The biggest one that springs to mind is COD4 but there has to have been others

C&C

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There's that mission on Korhal from BW where you have to decide if you're gonna take out the Terran Dominion's nukes or their battlecruisers, and if you decided to take out the cruisers, your base gets nuked at the start of the next mission.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Should I be caring at all that a shitload of gaming videos on Youtube are being demonetized, slowly turning youtube into a kids-only platform?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Grouchio posted:

Should I be caring at all that a shitload of gaming videos on Youtube are being demonetized, slowly turning youtube into a kids-only platform?
No.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Just start a patron and be a huge piece of poo poo

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The market for gaming videos is huge so it's not like the concept will simply disapear, it will just move to a different platform.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Grouchio posted:

It definitely hurts a lot of content creators out there who aren't already propped up by some mega gaming media site, but if anything it'll just finalize their transition over to Patreon as the way to make money for uploading videos. The people that get hit the hardest are dudes like ACG who prolifically upload reviews without being sponsored by anything themselves.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Grouchio posted:

First they came for the f word in my avgn videos and i said nothing

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I'm gonna buck the trend and say that facebook, google, and apple asserting massive control over who can make money online is a bad thing

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the only content i create is high quality artisanal forum shitposts, how do i monetize that

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

an actual dog posted:

I'm gonna buck the trend and say that facebook, google, and apple asserting massive control over who can make money online is a bad thing

What an ad-unfriendly post.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grouchio posted:

I think it's a problem yeah. YouTube's new advertiser stuff is really loose and it's caused innocuous stuff to get flagged without much word or response from Google because they don't believe in talking with content creators who are flagged. Especially when it comes to outright bullshit flagging a la DMCA abuse that goes unchecked (see Jim Sterling v. Digital Homicide, Alex Mauer's spree etc.)

YouTube were flagging stuff for simply having a word in the video title that it deemed to be bad. A lot of YouTube channels discussing news etc. have lost a lot of their monetization because it's deemed advertiser unfriendly, plus stuff in the title will trigger it like "bloodbath" when discussing a video game space battle in EVE (which occurred to a channel I know). Oh and there was also YouTube channels doing Pro Wrestling stuff because apparently that was deemed to be hate speech or something dumb because the YouTube system is stupidly flawed.

H3h3 did a thing on it and how it's caused issues with their channel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn46t8NksX0

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

the only content i create is high quality artisanal forum shitposts, how do i monetize that

have you tried putting a tiny picture of your screaming face in the corner

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Cowcaster posted:

[This reply requires a Saint Freak Premium Level Account to view]

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

It sucks that everyone is moving to twitch because twitch sucks but at least it won't be long until whoever owns it (amazon???) does the same thing

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Norns posted:

Just start a patron and be a huge piece of poo poo
That is also turning out the same.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'm okay with h3h3 being demonetized

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Scalding Coffee posted:

That is also turning out the same.

just start drinking lots of patron

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Just smoke weed and never leave the house

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I for one think it is cool that a small group of people can earn some money making videos about games regardless of content, and on principle oppose any attempt by corporate media shareholders to undemocratically hoard every conceivable ounce of profit for themselves.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

exquisite tea posted:

I for one think it is cool that a small group of people can earn some money making videos about games regardless of content, and on principle oppose any attempt by corporate media shareholders to undemocratically hoard every conceivable ounce of profit for themselves.

A small group of people can't earn some money making videos about games anymore. Quoting myself from another thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxU7U5iSQaQ

This dude has 2.5 million subscribers and gets hundreds of thousands of views on every video published on his channel... and in this video he talks about how even though his channel has grown by hundreds of thousands of yearly views since last calendar year, he has made 30% of the money. He then goes on to say that if a video gets less than like 100k views it makes practically nothing.

Youtube loving sucks

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

To be fair most people on YouTube also suck

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

i hear poison is pretty delicious

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Norns posted:

To be fair most people on YouTube also suck

I'm glad "youtube creators" will be making less money because they are awful. I'm ok with philip defranco and jontron and dipshitgameplayer69 getting cut off

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
I can't prove it (so stop reading here) but I hear Youtube operates at a loss. It's not too big to fail it's just too big to operate with any kind of financial gain in mind. Skimming money off creators' ad revenue is how it stays afloat.

You'd think eating large amounts of high quality food constantly would be a good thing, but all it does is make you fat and makes it hard to move around.

DLC Inc posted:

I'm glad "youtube creators" will be making less money because they are awful. I'm ok with philip defranco and jontron and dipshitgameplayer69 getting cut off

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say youtube creators you do like and who are not socially verboten will also be affected by this.

vermin fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 23, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nothing on the internet makes money apparently

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

In the bible it says you have to spend 100 years in hell for each youtube subscriber you have

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

DLC Inc posted:

It's great that videogame nazis won't be getting money but there's good poo poo getting thrown out with the bathwater and while I am aware that pretending like it's all poo poo is incredibly hip and cool it's also wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i feel as though any media that isn't a bear falling out of a tree onto a trampoline that i consume through youtube generally has an alternate source for the majority of their income

• Locked thread