Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Nintendo?
This poll is closed.
Nintendon't 45 22.73%
Nintendoomed 22 11.11%
Nintendrone 13 6.57%
Nintendovahkiin 55 27.78%
Nintend'oh! 63 31.82%
Total: 198 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I have some questions about Hhikaru Utada's Simple and Clean. One, which parts of it are in Utada's voice and which parts of it are quotes, and two is "simple and clean" supposed to be sarcastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i don't know

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw9K9ZWldEg

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The year of Sonic, Crash, Bubsy, and Knack? Please don't drown in your own sweat Mr. Miyamoto.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

homeless snail posted:

I have some questions about Hhikaru Utada's Simple and Clean. One, which parts of it are in Utada's voice and which parts of it are quotes, and two is "simple and clean" supposed to be sarcastic

Simple and clean is how Kingdom Hearts plot is making her feel tonight.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

The gameplay looks WAY above any other Bubsy game but that isn't saying much if anything and I'm still not sure why this is being made.

Also his personality still seems to be around "I want to strangle him with his own intestines" levels

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I can't wait for the triumphant return of Gex.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Does the new Bubsy acknowledge his canonical marriage to Gex

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

i don't know
thanks for trying your best

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I'm part of a group plan for Google Play Music that also includes YouTube Red so whatever. I pay like $30 a year for a shitload of adfree content.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

chumbler posted:

I can't wait for the triumphant return of Gex Croc.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Simple and Clean isn't meant sarcastically. The girl is singing about how the guy is trying to take things too seriously when she just wants a "simple and clean" relationship right now, not one when where she has to yell "Oh baby don't go" whenever the dude leaves, or him already worrying about meeting her father or other concerns in the future yet because "whatever lies beyond this morning is a little later on".

IMO at least.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Raxivace posted:

Simple and Clean isn't meant sarcastically. The girl is singing about how the guy is trying to take things too seriously when she just wants a "simple and clean" relationship right now, not one when where she has to yell "Oh baby don't go" whenever the dude leaves, or him already worrying about meeting her father or other concerns in the future yet because "whatever lies beyond this morning is a little later on".

IMO at least.

It is also made simple by every character involved being Xehanort.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Is Google Music good

I use Spotify because I like the discover weekly thing but it gets kinda off track sometimes

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Raxivace posted:

IMO at least.
I'm sorry but I don't think this reading is supported by the text. Utada has asked the guy to meet her dad, and he replies "no, I don't think life is quite that simple". My theory: the simple and clean line is part of the statement that Utada is saying you don't hear her say, because she does NOT feel simple or clean tonight. This is the underlying irony of the song, and its use as the Kingdom Hearts theme.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Help Im Alive posted:

Is Google Music good

I use Spotify because I like the discover weekly thing but it gets kinda off track sometimes

I switched to GPM like a year ago and haven't had any complaints :shrug:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

chumbler posted:

Only 13 of them, god :rolleyes:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

homeless snail posted:

I'm sorry but I don't think this reading is supported by the text. Utada has asked the guy to meet her dad, and he replies "no, I don't think life is quite that simple".
Eh, where are you getting that Utada is the one that brought up her dad in the conversation? It reads the opposite to me- that he's the one who brings it up, and that she answers "no".

quote:

You're giving me too many things lately
You're all I need, you smiled at me and said
"Don't get me wrong, I love you
But does that mean I have to meet your father?"

When we are older you'll understand
What I meant when I said
"No, I don't think life is quite that simple"
The "you" would have to be the guy here.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 23, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I wish Alien Isolation had a better save system, I get why it's the way it is but it sucks when you lose like 15+ minutes of progress because the alien decides to drop down right behind you when you're in the middle of checking your e-mails.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I wish Alien Isolation had a better save system, I get why it's the way it is but it sucks when you lose like 15+ minutes of progress because the alien decides to drop down right behind you when you're in the middle of checking your e-mails.

The alien is a metaphor for checking your phone while walking by a busy street.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

Is Google Music good

I switched maybe a little over a year ago and I found it to be fine. It's had everything I've searched for and the discovery algorithms have been decent, though that may be due to having the power of google behind it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

chumbler posted:

The alien is a metaphor for checking your phone while walking by a busy street.
Yes but what does this make the black goo

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Prometheus is complex and the black goo is dirty... Utada did it again...

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

chumbler posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvdjkg0-s5w

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Sakurazuka posted:

Only 13 of them, god :rolleyes:

It got real silly when they started introducing characters like Not A Hex and Northaxe, and expecting the audience to still be surprised by the reveal.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sakurazuka posted:

imo the game sorely needed real checkpoints that don't save if you quit. holding your progress hostage with the method they use isn't tense imo, it's just tedious.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Seriously. It's a bit better now I have the flamethrower and getting spotted isn't 100% a death sentence but it still sucks if it gets the drop on you.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Raxivace posted:

Yes but what does this make the black goo

Ridley is the black goo.

It's how he keeps coming back in every game.

He is an agent of change.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
TIL Undertale in Japanese has a lot of complaints about it being a weird freeform translation compared to the fan translation which is funny to me because that was the case with like every classic RPG translated to English

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

we now call every instance of Temmie a Phantom Beast

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Nina posted:

TIL Undertale in Japanese has a lot of complaints about it being a weird freeform translation compared to the fan translation which is funny to me because that was the case with like every classic RPG translated to English

Considering how freeform the English SNES Earthbound translation was it's not shocking Toby would want Undertale to be just as loose to make things flow better.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Seriously. It's a bit better now I have the flamethrower and getting spotted isn't 100% a death sentence but it still sucks if it gets the drop on you.

I think you eventually get to a point where the alien isn't really a threat because you start to figure out how the AI works/what makes the alien appear/whether or not you're actually in any danger. I guess it does take some dying to get there though

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I switched maybe a little over a year ago and I found it to be fine. It's had everything I've searched for and the discovery algorithms have been decent, though that may be due to having the power of google behind it.

Propaganda Hour posted:

I switched to GPM like a year ago and haven't had any complaints :shrug:

There's a 60 day free trial so I'll give it a shot!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I had no problems with how saving worked in A:I and I liked how tense waiting for it to complete was.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Losing 20 minutes of progress isn't tense for me it's infuriating

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

yeah, it would be fine if it was an actual mechanic and it acknowledged your failure to save in way that wasn't just "okay now you get to replay the last x minutes"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah I bounced off Alien Isolation because I was bad enough that dying repeatedly to the xenomorph and even to the Joes and normal humans drained every encounter of tension and just became frustration. I imagine that if you barely scraped through encounters on your first couple of tries it would feel thrilling, though :sigh:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The weirdest part is that some areas have save points every few feet and others you can go forever without seeing one.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

kinda tempted to buy AI on PC though cause the VR patch just came out and I bet that's scary, but I keep chickening out when I remember that I didn't actually have much fun playing that game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah I bounced off Alien Isolation because I was bad enough that dying repeatedly to the xenomorph and even to the Joes and normal humans drained every encounter of tension and just became frustration. I imagine that if you barely scraped through encounters on your first couple of tries it would feel thrilling, though :sigh:

It does

• Locked thread