Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The other day my two year old retrieved a poop from her pants, took it in her hands and smooshed it into the keyboard of my laptop that she'd been watching Puffin Rock on while I was in the shower.

Toilet training is interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

VorpalBunny posted:

My 6 1/2 year old is also often touching his junk - half the time he has to pee but doesn't want to leave whatever he's doing, and the other half is just for fun. He stops if I ask if he has to go to the bathroom, but he'll absentmindedly do it again shortly thereafter. He's just now starting to develop social awareness of stuff like that, he'll be shamed by someone on the playground about it pretty soon I'm sure of it. He's going into first grade, I figure the schoolyard talk is going to start getting mean soon. He already stopped using his "girly" backpack because someone in kindergarten called him out on it. :(
My 3 year old is also exploring his junk, usually after a bath, that one is all for pleasure. We tell him to do it in private, no shame its just something he needs to do in private.
My 4 year old girl did it when she was 3, it took a lot of layers and pestering her to keep her hand out of her crotch. Again, no shame just something one does in private.

I was grossed out at first, and then I realized it's just them exploring their bodies and they have no social shame. Along with picking their noses (and eating it, I'm STILL trying to get them to break this gross habit) and chewing their nails, among other disgusting stuff.

I do worry about habits becoming permanent, like my oldest has a slight lisp and it hasn't gone away yet. At 6 should I worry about it, or give it a few more years before we explore speech therapy? My middle girl chews her fingernails to stubs, when do I really start to worry?

We also tell him he can do it in private. I kinda want to spare him the social embarrassment, but I know I won't be able to. He has been in summer camps this past month and with the older kids in camp he's already renounced his claim that pink was his favourite colour because that is what girls wear :( We told him his favourite colour can be whatever he wants it to be, regardless of what others say, but social influence is strong.

Habit stuff. I thought I'd stop telling him to stop the penis grabbing because I remembered I had a lot of temporary tics as a kid and every time my parents or brothers told me to stop, it would just trigger it more. Eventually they'd stop telling me and the tic would go away.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

rgocs posted:

He has been in summer camps this past month and with the older kids in camp he's already renounced his claim that pink was his favourite colour because that is what girls wear :( We told him his favourite colour can be whatever he wants it to be, regardless of what others say, but social influence is strong.

Plenty of respected male figures you can point to that rock pink and make it work. Telling him won't accomplish much, but pointing out successful adults that like and wear pink might have a lot more weight in the "that's what girls wear" argument than just telling him to ignore his friends opinions without any reality anchor to compare those opinions against.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

Plenty of respected male figures you can point to that rock pink and make it work. Telling him won't accomplish much, but pointing out successful adults that like and wear pink might have a lot more weight in the "that's what girls wear" argument than just telling him to ignore his friends opinions without any reality anchor to compare those opinions against.
You're right. My wife did point out to him a few adult relatives that wear pink shirts, they're not famous, but at his age his uncles are still respected male figures.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Welp, day 2 of potty training was a mixed bag. He had several accidents but still used the potty a couple times. And we got him to poop for the first time and it was in the potty.

My wife is really flustered after 48 hours but I'm concerned with pushing our son too far too fast (she wants to get pull ups now). And I don't know how to tell her to wait for less accidents without it coming across all critical (she's at home all day doing most of the training work).

Edit: just going to let her do her thing if she's going to do nearly all the potty training while I'm at work.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 2, 2017

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

rgocs posted:

You're right. My wife did point out to him a few adult relatives that wear pink shirts, they're not famous, but at his age his uncles are still respected male figures.

You could also maybe put a bug in the ear to those uncles he likes and ask them to wear pink next time they come over to drive that point home.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Thwomp posted:

Welp, day 2 of potty training was a mixed bag. He had several accidents but still used the potty a couple times. And we got him to poop for the first time and it was in the potty.

My wife is really flustered after 48 hours but I'm concerned with pushing our son too far too fast (she wants to get pull ups now). And I don't know how to tell her to wait for less accidents without it coming across all critical (she's at home all day doing most of the training work).

Edit: just going to let her do her thing if she's going to do nearly all the potty training while I'm at work.

Bathroom habits are something you spend months establishing. Accidents should be treated as routine and unfortunate, if it stresses you or your wife out try to get him cleaned up, set him up for solo play, and go smoke a cigarette or take some time in the bedroom listening to music for a minute to chill out. Getting flustered this early sounds like you've got some pretty unrealistic expectations/hopes of this process.

Pull ups are a natural thing. Get them, once potty training starts pull ups are something he can manage himself and the only reason not to switch is to avoid mess because they hold less than diapers do. On the upside, they're cheaper and you get to need fewer and fewer of them. Giving him pull ups gives him the ability to go to the bathroom himself. Keep the bathroom available to him, his potty should be somewhere he can go to himself. Giving him a light in the bathroom he can turn on himself is also a good idea, even if it's like one of those push lights that's battery powered you can just stick on the wall.

And then just build habits. Ask him if he needs to go potty regularly, so he's thinking about it. Take him to the bathroom with you when you go and encourage him to sit without making it mandatory. Kids learn it best if it's a participatory process rather than a mandatory one. If every time they go to the bathroom they have to sit and they have you trying to get a specific result (them going to the bathroom right then) and you get flustered when the result doesn't happen or happens outside the idealized window it can get pretty stressful for everyone involved pretty quick.

Introduce him to the concept that the bathroom is always there, and that he's supposed to make his own choices about going to the bathroom and that it's normal for an adult to choose to go sit rather than have an accident. Remember, before potty training going in a diaper wasn't an accident. Kids can understand that kinda meta life change that "this is no longer the right thing, now this is" if there's no stress attached to it much more easily.

And expect accidents for months, sleeping in a pull up might be normal for a while even after he can make it entirely through the day without one, etc. Some kids get it faster than others but... I mean look at the adult world. Pretty much everyone, ever, learns potty training. However long it takes, he'll figure out how both his plumbing and the house plumbing works. If he had the ability to get up in the middle of the night to go that would be a good thing, but I don't know what your house arrangements are and how practical it is to give him bathroom access when you're asleep.

sebzilla posted:

The other day my two year old retrieved a poop from her pants, took it in her hands and smooshed it into the keyboard of my laptop that she'd been watching Puffin Rock on while I was in the shower.

Toilet training is interesting.

:stare: Such an unfortunate sentence though...

TheSpiritFox fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 11, 2017

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Nevermind.

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 11, 2017

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
So my four and a half year old (boy) is going through a phase where he just will not listen to anything anybody says. His teacher at preschool says he won't listen unless she gets stern, he doesn't listen to me until I start counting down or threaten him with taking toys/cartoons away etc, and when he does do as he's told he will deliberately go as slooooooow as possible. An example: in the mornings, getting a shower before school. I ask him nicely to get in the shower, no response, or 'in a minute Dad!' Carries on playing with toys. Only does as he's asked when I get strict and/or just pick him up and physically put him in the drat shower. Of course, once this happens he's grumpy and upset, which just makes it all the more difficult.

Repeat this same scenario for practically anything ever. Eating dinner, getting dressed, choosing a book to read before bed, getting shoes on to go to out, going anywhere, leaving anywhere. It just feels like a constant battle over EVERY SINGLE drat THING and it's really getting me and his mother down. To make things worse, he's recently started doing this awful fake crying/wailing that he can turn on and off at will. It's loud, upsetting (because he really does seem frustrated/sad) and I really don't know what to do.

I tried positive reinforcement, so instead of threatening punishment for bad behaviour, rewarding good behaviour with a little chart of stars. Get to 10 stars, get a toy/candy/whatever. Except he then just expects toys/candy every single time we go into a store because 'I've been good I got some stars' and then gets upset when I won't get him one.

It feels like I'm constantly being an ogre and a horrible person, but if I sit back and let him get on with it, he'd be an hour late for school every day, he'd eat yoghurts and crisps/chips for dinner every day, and he woudn't go to bed until like 10pm. It really isn't in my nature to be particularly authoritarian, I just feel like I have to do it with him because I think it's in his best interests.

What do i do :(

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My 4 year old son does the same exact thing, like I could have written that post. Its rough because when he doesn't earn his "good things", its like my husband and I are getting punished too. I know that sounds selfish. TV stays off, games stay off, can't go swimming, and then we have to deal with him whining and being upset the rest of the day after school. It feels like we have to spend the rest of the evening being stern with him because he'll pester us and fake cry / whine until bedtime.

Edit: We live in an apartment complex too and he just doesn't loving understand you can't scream at the top of your lungs if you get upset. Putting him in time out results in him sitting in time out screaming. Taking privileges away results it more screaming. I can't wait for the weather to cool off a little so we can start doing more active things outside again.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
:lol: Thank gently caress it's not just us. He's recently started saying that he doesn't want to go to school, when he's been absolutely fine with going for months and months. I can only assume it's because he's being a little poo poo there too and the teachers are taking him to task for it. I guess it's just another phase in the endless phases you have to deal with when you have kids. Parenting so far has been dealing with one phase, it ends and you get like a few weeks of fun happy kid, then another phase starts. Holy poo poo it can be draining.

E: and it's so true, when we punish him, or he acts up and we take away privileges, it's punishment for everyone in the house because the natural consequence is grumpy wailing kid for the whole evening. But what else can you do?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

You could try to talk to his teachers and him to see what is going on. He was having trouble earlier in the year with getting in trouble at school and he was having really bad anxiety about going. We managed to get out of him that one kid in particular was picking on him. Usually my kid and that kid's name would be on the naughty board every day. I talked to them and they said they'd keep the two of them separated and for a while his attitude at school greatly improved. (The other kid is still almost daily on the naughty board) We also have the teacher write us a note ever day with how he acted so we could address it more specifically. If he had a really bad day we make him go and apologize the next morning. He was good for a while, but he's slipped back into not listening to his teachers and he started hitting other kids. One of the classroom teachers did just leave for a new job and they have a new lady in there now so I don't know if its related to that, but we're working on it again. Its also been balls hot here so they haven't been going outside. He's had a two day streak of good days so far after a couple weeks of me being embarrassed to pick him up. The old teacher use to redirect him by having him help with chores around the classroom (like getting all the pencils after worksheet time) and he loves doing that. I suggested that to the new teacher and I think she started doing that so maybe that's why he's been better? If I give him a choice of playing with his toys or helping me with chores around the house, he chooses chores every time.

Edit: He's moving up to the "older 4's" class in September. We're kinda just waiting it out till the switch and see what happens too. There's no point in putting in a new routine with his current teachers since he'll be out of there in a week.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Hot as balls and not going outside sound like he may need more physical activity? My kid isn't as old yet, but with ours we definitely know that we need to get her enough movement in the day otherwise it is a terror. Can you do any indoor playgrounds or early morning play before school or at least evening play as it cools? Something to burn off the madness.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I have a chat with his teacher every day and normally she has nothing but good things to say about him. It's only the past few days where she's been saying that he's not listening and she has to be strict with him to get him to do as he's asked. This coincides with his sudden reluctance to go in the mornings, so I'm just guessing that the two are linked. Asking him is pointless, because I can't get an answer out of him about it. He just says he's bored of school and that's why he doesn't want to go (when we pick him up in the afternoons he's always enjoying himself and singing along with the afternoon song or playing with his friends).

Luckily he's not a hitter, and that's not something we have to deal with, but my wife picked him up from school today, and said that he suddenly decided that his best friend is 'boring now' and he wasn't going to play with him in the playground. Apparently his friend was really upset :(

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Maybe a stupid question, but how hot is too hot to play? I remember just doing whatever regardless of the temperature when I was a kid. Infants and toddlers are another story, but at a certain stage, just get the heck outside.

I mean, I'll go hiking when it's 100F outside, you just take it easier and make sure everyone drinks enough water.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

LogisticEarth posted:

Maybe a stupid question, but how hot is too hot to play? I remember just doing whatever regardless of the temperature when I was a kid. Infants and toddlers are another story, but at a certain stage, just get the heck outside.

I mean, I'll go hiking when it's 100F outside, you just take it easier and make sure everyone drinks enough water.

It's more a matter of how quickly little kids will overheat.

When we went to see the eclipse, it was 91 outside with nasty humidity. After about 20 minutes of playing at the park, his face was beet red (it's hilarious how easy it is for us to tell he's too hot/had enough). It took a good 30-45 minutes to cool down enough for another 15 minute bout of play. That's what I would consider too hot outside.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

LogisticEarth posted:

I'm quite happy to go hiking in 100F heat, but I'm sure as poo poo not gonna take my 4 year old out hiking in that heat. Going to the playground for a little while, sure, but when it's really goddamn hot outside it does limit your options somewhat with younger kids.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
My kids have been acting up a bit in their classes, but it's because we have been trying to do too much stuff with them over the past week with the eclipse and other things and they haven't been getting the rest they need. Kids are so tricky, you want them to have the best and do all this awesome stuff but you also have to balance their physical needs. Before that we had school starting, so we had to monitor their behavior with the new routine, and soon we'll be in Holiday/birthday season and all the madness that comes with parties and presents and events.

I tried taking my older kids to Target yesterday to stock up on their school uniform pieces, and they were little tornadoes! I thought by the time my kids got to be almost 7 and almost 5, they would be more disciplined but gently caress if that's happening. They are worse together, but even on their own they can be trying. I guess I was deluding myself into thinking they might mature more by this age, I know eventually they will get to that point but then we'll have a whole new set of stuff to deal with like hormones and peer pressure.

So yeah, it never ends...

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Siblings can play off each other, and something my brother and cousins have said is that the 'Terrible Twos' extends to three and four and five and so on...

My niece and nephew bicker constantly and I've warned my mom that taking my niece (the older one) out for 'girls day out' is just making it worse by creating an element of favortism.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The heat index has been peeking in the 100 - 109 range for the last several weeks.
He is a very active kid and we try out best to wear him out. Its hard though when he gets kicked out of his gymnastics class for the day because he wasn't listening and pushing kids.

Edit: He's had 3 good days in a row at school so far.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
At what point do babies start sleeping for more than 2-4 hours at a time. 6 week old (3 weeks prem) is currently doing 1d4 hours and I don't know how the human race survives this.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
I have a 2 and 4 year old and I'll just go ahead and say, ... never. They never sleep more. :)

The first 3 months is rough. It does get better though. Hold in there. Sleep when they sleep.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Comstar posted:

At what point do babies start sleeping for more than 2-4 hours at a time. 6 week old (3 weeks prem) is currently doing 1d4 hours and I don't know how the human race survives this.

Gonna have to soldier through those first 3 months. Sleep when they sleep, take shifts, etc. Call in Grandma and Grandpa, friends, everyone. Most people like tiny little babies for some reason.

When they first sleep through the night you'll freak out that something is wrong.

Then you'll get used to it.

Then they'll start waking up again just to mess with you.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Like others have said, there's no hard-and-fast rule. My daughter slept through the night for the first time at 9 weeks. My friend's son slept through the night for the first time when he was 1.5 years old (I blame my friend's wife for going into the bedroom at every little noise to make sure their kid was okay, but that's another topic entirely).

Just hang in there. It will get better (but then also worse in areas you weren't even thinking about due to lack of sleep).

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 24, 2017

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Comstar posted:

The baby is relatively only 3 weeks old so they need to eat pretty often, my first kid didn't start sleeping 10-12 hours until 6 weeks, My second always wants to sleep but woke up twice during the night until about 2 months. If you co-sleep that baby will never sleep through the night...

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
My 2.5 month old sleeps decent chunks through the night now, when we actually get him to sleep. Still takes a good hour or so. Last night though, he woke up right as my wife and I were going to bed. But it was easy to put him back down. He was wailing away, but would lapse in and out of looking like he was passed out. It was kind of funny.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Bardeh posted:

So my four and a half year old (boy) is going through a phase...

What do i do :(

Offer two choices instead of open ended requests? Try to re-frame how you are asking things to be done? Different types of positive reinforcement? The stars system might not be the right fit for your kid - or maybe not age appropriate? Instead of food rewards perhaps you can reward with other more immediate things - like a few minutes of tablet/device use?

I'm not particularly impressed with the preschool using a 'naughty board', so you have to wonder how solid their methods are.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Comstar posted:

Hang in there. poo poo is rough and it stops when it stops (which might be in a few weeks or in a few months). It will get better with time, but until then just try to sleep every chance you get. You will still be a sleep deprived zombie, but slightly less so which is still quite an improvement.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
Does anyone have any good recommendations for Android apps that track sleep/feeding/growth etc...? We're especially looking for one that syncs well across users.

The WebMD baby app is cool, but is not really very usable for multiple users.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
We used Baby Connect (on IOS but they have an Android app as well)

We just logged in with the same account info and it syncs alright. Sometimes I have to manually sync to make sure it gets the most recent info if it's something that just happened.

Let's you track and graph lots of poo poo but at this point we mainly just use it for sleep and feeding. Tracking diapers seems less important at the moment, etc. I have the vague memory that it was a bit pricey and you have to buy it for each device but I don't remember the cost.

re: infant sleeping...if you and your spouse can split the nighttime duties it helps tremendously. I also don't know if this helped or not, but we kept our kid on a fairly strict feeding schedule during the day of every two hours at least even if it meant waking him up, supposedly it helps transition them to night time being the main sleep time rather than just sleeping whenever they want for however long they want, but that's really not a very provable claim either, we may have just been fairly lucky he started sleeping through the night around 2 months.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
I see. "Through the night" mentioned in books and online. As I posted above my kids never slept wellso I'm not using my experience here. My kids have phases good and bad. Still though doesn't "through the night" as referenced in books just mean 6 hours?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

n8r posted:

Offer two choices instead of open ended requests? Try to re-frame how you are asking things to be done? Different types of positive reinforcement? The stars system might not be the right fit for your kid - or maybe not age appropriate? Instead of food rewards perhaps you can reward with other more immediate things - like a few minutes of tablet/device use?

I'm not particularly impressed with the preschool using a 'naughty board', so you have to wonder how solid their methods are.

I think you might be mixing my post up with Alterian's, because his school certainly doesn't do that (and on the whole he is well-behaved at school anyway)

I'll try some more immediate rewards like you suggest and see how it goes.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Hdip posted:

Still though doesn't "through the night" as referenced in books just mean 6 hours?

Yes. 6 hours in a row is considered sleeping through the night.

On another note parenting is really awesome right now and I'm enjoying it so much. Our son is 23 months old and is just the best. He speaks so well it's incredible. He'll make 4-5 words sentences and knows litterally hundreds of words (stuff like "Dad upstair pick teddy" just blows my mind). I never expected that to happen so fast it's almost scary. On the other hand he's not physical at all which is pretty cool as a parent since he won't try to climb stuff that he shouldn't because he's too lazy. He'll have the occasional angry phase but we can usually "reason" with him with words and he'll stop. Everything is so different than what I expected and god am I enjoying it. Now this is probably going to change anytime now and he'll start being more fussy, especially with the twins coming but all the crazy tough times were so worth it when I look at the past year that has been pretty much pure happiness. I'll probably come back and ask for tips and complain about how rough it all is sooner than later, but right now I'm just grateful

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Aug 25, 2017

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

KingColliwog posted:

Yes. 6 hours in a row is considered sleeping through the night.

On another note parenting is really awesome right now and I'm enjoying it so much. Our son is 23 months old and is just the best. He speaks so well it's incredible. He'll make 4-5 words sentences and knows litterally hundreds of words (stuff like "Dad upstair pick teddy" just blows my mind). I never expected that to happen so fast it's almost scary. On the other hand he's not physical at all which is pretty cool as a parent since he won't try to climb stuff that he shouldn't because he's too lazy. He'll have the occasional angry phase but we can usually "reason" with him with words and he'll stop. Everything is so different than what I expected and god am I enjoying it. Now this is probably going to change anytime now and he'll start being more fussy, especially with the twins coming but all the crazy tough times were so worth it when I look at the past year that has been pretty much pure happiness. I'll probably come back and ask for tips and complain about how rough it all is sooner than later, but right now I'm just grateful

My 1 1/2 yr old knows like 4 or 5 words. I think I'd lose my mind if he said sentences. Right now, it's mostly "Oooo" or "Unnnn" and pointing at things interchanged with Mama, Dada, Nana, Lala, Hi.

He'll get there but hearing he may do it closer to 2 makes me pretty excited.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
The best thing about parenting is feeling like you're going to explode with happiness whenever they figure something new out. Mine is almost five months and just learned how to roll from tummy to back fluidly and I thought I was gonna lose my mind I was so pumped

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

54 40 or gently caress posted:

The best thing about parenting is feeling like you're going to explode with happiness whenever they figure something new out. Mine is almost five months and just learned how to roll from tummy to back fluidly and I thought I was gonna lose my mind I was so pumped

Glad Pnurtis is doing well.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Hello thread, I'm moving over from the pregnancy thread now that our daughter has passed the three month mark!

So far our biggest struggles have all been around feeding. To date:
- she wanted to cluster feed around the clock cos there wasn't enough milk
- next she had trouble latching
- after that, the fast let down made her keep choking
- when we got the hang of that, she would gulp down as much as she could as quick as she could, then end up not burping and throwing up daily

Finally, just as that got sorted out and she learned to latch herself even in side lying, all her hunger cues changed. Now the only feeds that go well are the 3 am and 6:30 am feeds (sometimes the 8:30 am but it's hit and miss). After that, she will only feed straight after a nap.

That would be fine except she is a super curious one and refuses to sleep even if tired so naps are a battle (they only happen after stroller rain dance voodoo magic). Then once she wakes up, I have one shot in a two minute window to get her latched and staying on (because she'll thrash around and come off sometimes), otherwise she starts screaming at any attempts at feeding (apparently just being in our feeding areas count as attempts - I can't even lay her on the bed or sit in the nursing chair without immediate crying). Yesterday she refused any feeding after her 1 pm nap and we could not get her to sleep again until 10 pm.

What is going on and how do we stop the unhappiness for all involved?! :(

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
^i had similar issues and a lip/severe tongue tie wound up being the culprit. I was told both would be fine since he had started gaining until I went to the lactation consultant at my hospital who said he may be gaining but my supply would tank if I didn't do something about both of them. Basically he didn't have the tongue control or strength to control my letdown, it was basically like trying to drink from a fire hose. Then he was tiring himself out and getting frustrated because he had to work so hard.

How many weeks? She might be in a Leap and that may be the source of napping frustrations

Chin Strap posted:

Glad Pnurtis is doing well.

In my opinion, he is Literally A Genius.

I'm working on baby sign language? Like every time I go to feed him I say "milk?" And make the hand gesture. That's what I'm supposed to do, right?

54 40 or fuck fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Aug 26, 2017

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!
Assuming kiddo isn't having any problems gaining weight and putting out the required number of wet and dirty nappies a day, it's probably related to going through another leap. Around 14.5 to 19.5 weeks of age (adjusted if baby was prem) is when it starts apparently. Your kid is getting his/her head around the realization that life experience is composed of a series of events- feed times and nappy changes for example. Not much you can do besides ride it out, this time period of increased fussiness should pass in time.

Edit: It's interesting, the initial cluster feeding may have been baby's way of ramping up your supply. It might seem like you don't have enough because they feed so often, but then your boobs get the picture and wham! Extra milk. Then the crazy gulping and guzzling noisy feeds happens with all the concomitant over-full vomiting etc because their esophageal gastric sphincters aren't super developed yet and the baby is growing and therefore hungry like mad so they're trying to eat as much as possible as fast as possible. But then their stomachs adjust to being able to hold a higher volume again, and the number of feeds baby needs a day goes down. It's just how breastfeeding works, it's not a static thing. They get bigger and stronger and more muscle control and the feeding gets more coordinated again and their stomachs adjust to better hold in bigger volumes of milk. It's not always a gradual increase, lots of revving the engine and then having to catch up. Your best indicator that there can't be too much wrong is baby being alert, meeting milestones, enough wet and dirty nappies and weight gain.

Doesn't make it at all easier though. The self doubt is the worst part. It'd be easier if their stomachs and our boobs were transparent so we could watch how much was filling/emptying.

nyerf fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Aug 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

54 40 or gently caress posted:

How many weeks? She might be in a Leap and that may be the source of napping frustrations

nyerf posted:

it's probably related to going through another leap.

Yep, she's currently in Leap 4. The new "I don't want to feed during the day" took me by complete surprise because the Wonder Weeks app didn't say anything about feeding in the "Signs" section for this leap (it did for the others), she's never refused feeds during any of her previous leaps (if anything, we had complete opposite issue where she would demand more feeds during the leaps) and it was just super weird to be restricted to a time of day?! Thankfully at about 2 am last night she realized she missed a whole bunch of feeds. Right after that, she made a huge effort to catch up and probably doubled her normal intake of milk. So, well, babies, I guess. :shrug: But drat if it doesn't make me feel like an overreacting helicopter parent to run around in a panic every time she does something like this.

The napping frustrations continue to persist. :(

Also, on our way home tonight, she started screaming in the car which has never happened before (usually it puts her to sleep unless she's starving, which didn't make sense because she had a good feed right before we left). We had no idea why so put it down to possible purple crying and since we were on the freeway, nothing we could do until we got home. It was a heart-rending 20 minutes into the car ride :cry: before I thought that since we were tired and being quiet/subdued, maybe she's freaking out because she can't see/hear either of us and therefore thinks she's been abandoned. The minute I start singing, she starts to calm down and I'm kicking myself for not thinking of it earlier.

Just how much mental anguish have I unwittingly inflicted on this tiny helpless human because I am dumb?! And what kind of permanent emotional injury has she sustained as a result? Ugh, the self-doubt and guilt is too real. :ohdear:

nyerf posted:

Not much you can do besides ride it out, this time period of increased fussiness should pass in time.

The forecast on the app says this one goes for FIVE WHOLE WEEKS. :gonk:

nyerf posted:

It'd be easier if their stomachs and our boobs were transparent so we could watch how much was filling/emptying.

Yeah, the lack of this feature is a serious design flaw. One of the mothers in our new parents group decided to exclusively pump so that she could figure out how much her kid was consuming. Just thinking about having to do sanitizing pump, pumping, cleaning pump, storing milk, sanitizing bottles and teats, then rewarming milk before she can feed made me go, screw that, I'd rather do boob straight to baby.