Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
No one's spoken about Amway and MLM in a while but, skimming the thread, I've noticed some people actually say that they "know a friend who made $xx,xxx. He showed me a check". to which I say, no. No he or she did not.

You may have seen a check for say $10,000 but what they're not telling you is that it's not net profit and that they bought $9,000 worth of bullshit that month/year/whatever. I have a real hard on for MLM's and those that get wrapped in it, similar to mega churches and faith healers. They grind my gears and piss me off.

BTW, I know I said I'd let it drop but I also promised a follow up to my posts about Comcast.

Surprised to see so many defenders of this poo poo company on here and people mis reading what i was saying but they credited and back dated my cancellation, acknowledged that there was no time table on returning the equipment and confirmed what I had posted; that I was ONLY supposed to be charged for unreturned boxes and NOT the TV and phone I cancelled.

So there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

metallicaeg posted:

On a cruise earlier this year my girlfriend bought two fake "Cuban" cigars that were >$20 each.

I smoke cigars, so oftentimes friends and family will buy me some as a gift and I always have to warn them against falling for the old "cuban" cigar trick tobacco shops use on inexperienced buyers: take any ol cigar and remove the label, call it Cuban and sell it for three times what it's worth. All the best cigar makers are in central America now anyway so even if they did get an actual Cuban cigar it's still overpaying for no reason.

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 16, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

BiggerBoat posted:

No one's spoken about Amway and MLM in a while but, skimming the thread, I've noticed some people actually say that they "know a friend who made $xx,xxx. He showed me a check". to which I say, no. No he or she did not.

You may have seen a check for say $10,000 but what they're not telling you is that it's not net profit and that they bought $9,000 worth of bullshit that month/year/whatever. I have a real hard on for MLM's and those that get wrapped in it, similar to mega churches and faith healers. They grind my gears and piss me off.

BTW, I know I said I'd let it drop but I also promised a follow up to my posts about Comcast.

Surprised to see so many defenders of this poo poo company on here and people mis reading what i was saying but they credited and back dated my cancellation, acknowledged that there was no time table on returning the equipment and confirmed what I had posted; that I was ONLY supposed to be charged for unreturned boxes and NOT the TV and phone I cancelled.

So there's that.

Whoa, Comcast’s PR firm is now posting comments on dead comedy fora.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Whoa, Comcast’s PR firm is now posting comments on dead comedy fora.

I thought the same thing based on how many people were calling me out.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

BiggerBoat posted:

So there's that.

you're an ungrateful crybaby, we get it already

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 16, 2017

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

you're an ungrateful crybaby, we get it already

Go gently caress yourself.

You were one of the main people telling me I did something wrong and glossing over the specific details of my posts. Now you're calling me a crybaby for straightening it out and posting that Comcast admitted their error? The gently caress is wrong with you?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

yes, clearly i am the person in this story who has something wrong with them :lol:

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

You should check out USANA The Cellular Nutrition Company. My sister's into them big time and it makes me so mad when she shills for their woo woo crap (she's a pharmacist, fer chrissake).

I've heard they make OK products, vitamins, supplements, skin creams, hair products, etc., but they mark them way up and then do this direct sales shite rather than just selling their stuff in stores. It combines bullshit medical fantasy cell rejuvenation bullshit with buying stock (at a discount!!!) to badger your friends and family with. They've got the aspirational health + wealth market on absolute lock and it is sickening. You see, "MOST ASSOCIATES JOIN SIMPLY TO IMPROVE THEIR HEALTH AND PURCHASE PRODUCTS AT A DISCOUNT (pdf)," so really, not everyone wants to make a lot of money, no no no... you can do that though if you work really hard and are a good person and really believe in yourself (I guess).

So how much can you make? From the pdf linked above:

So you order your stock at a "discount", then you can charge your friends and family whatever you want, and if you really want to lock in the "savings", you'll get your stock on auto-order so you have a massive inventory to unload on everyone you ever talk to. Listen to these amazing success stories! (Also check out the elegant site structure: https://www.usana.com/dotCom/opportunity/stories lol

quote:

Tracy Wenkman
Florida, USA
Since joining USANA in July 2011, Tracy Wenkman has defined herself as one of the company’s finest leaders. Not only did she earn the prestigious “Rookie of the Year” award in 2012, Tracy has rank advanced multiple times, been a repeat member of USANA’s North America Growth 25, has served on USANA’s Independent Distributor Council, and is consistently one of USANA’s Top Preferred Customer Enrollers.

Tracy admits before USANA she was never one to speak in front of big crowds, but she now loves the challenge and opportunity to share her knowledge and experience with everyone she meets, one on one or with thousands.

Experiencing all of this success only a few short years after starting a USANA business has been so rewarding for Tracy, and it proves that hard work leads to positive results. “Even though it takes serious time and dedication, I’m so thankful to have this as my job,” she says. “I wouldn’t trade helping people experience success in both their businesses and their lives for anything in the world.”

Look her up, BB! I'm sure she'd love to help you experience success in both your business and your life!!!

quote:

Anna and Yvan Lozano
Ontario, Canada
Anna Lozano understood that for things to change, she needed to change, and USANA was ready to help her gain the better life she had always wanted.

Since the very beginning, Anna has had big dreams for her USANA business. In the few years that she has been with USANA, she has already excelled beyond what she ever imagined. She is passionate about the opportunity for better health and financial independence, and her success with USANA has given her a reason to be excited about life again.

Anna believes that USANA makes it easy because the company operates with integrity and quality. Everything, from the award-winning products down to the sales tools, helps her succeed. With USANA’s help, Anna is ready to continue making a difference. “I want to inspire and empower as many people as possible around the world to live their best life in optimal health and financial freedom,” she says. “Thank you USANA for changing our lives forever!”

These people are experiencing so much success it just can't be quantified in any way. But they definitely have a lot of it! It's just so amazingly wonderful and all you have to do is pay the $29.99 to become an associate so that you yes you can take advantage of these truly amazing products that just can't be sold in stores for some reason and if you want to really profit, you'll order a bunch of them and also buy the wonderful sales and marketing materials they generously offer at very reasonable prices or if you want to really succeed why not attend one of the $400 Usana events where you get pepped up (and also buy more books and crap) and really get empowered to start making your dreams come true!

ed: just did the maths on the earnings table. Out of 42,549 people, there are 35 making over 200k, 51 making 100-200k, 89 making 50-100k, and 234 making 20-50k. BUT MOST PEOPLE JOIN JUST TO BE HEALTHY so those numbers are totally OK and not indicative of a loving brutal scam.

greazeball fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 16, 2017

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I love how 60% of people don't make a loving cent (ie buy more than they sell) and oh sure definitely those guys actually WANTED it that way so they could get discount items!!!! (Which, yeah, I'm sure they exist, but really)

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

MLM is a wrapper around book/event sales.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Stuff selling crap like that and trying to get other people to peddle it too, my company will teach you how to sell people their very own MLM scheme! All you have to do is follow this Egyptian shaped model and

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
https://twitter.com/hoofnagle/status/897875605667971073

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Had a guy ring our doorbell but didn't go up the stairs. When I went down to check, he said he wanted to go elsewhere but they didn't answer but now that I am here, he had a question. He was with [ISP] and they changed to glas fiber. Have we noticed an increase in speed? Would it be nice to have some faster internet? I am an idiot for answering these questions as I already sensed something was up but I played along. When we reached my apartment he asked what kind of router I had and if it was fast enough. I answered that too. He probably didn't like me knowing the exact model, hesitated but still asked to take a look at it (LET ME INTO YOUR HOME!). At that point I finally came to my senses and said we were happy with our ISP and everything is fine. At that point he left. Man, these things leave a bad taste. These guys are so pushy and talk so quickly that it's really difficult to disrupt their spiel (and usually you don't want to be rude). Next time I'll be prepared, I hope.

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Had a guy ring our doorbell but didn't go up the stairs. When I went down to check, he said he wanted to go elsewhere but they didn't answer but now that I am here, he had a question. He was with [ISP] and they changed to glas fiber. Have we noticed an increase in speed? Would it be nice to have some faster internet? I am an idiot for answering these questions as I already sensed something was up but I played along. When we reached my apartment he asked what kind of router I had and if it was fast enough. I answered that too. He probably didn't like me knowing the exact model, hesitated but still asked to take a look at it (LET ME INTO YOUR HOME!). At that point I finally came to my senses and said we were happy with our ISP and everything is fine. At that point he left. Man, these things leave a bad taste. These guys are so pushy and talk so quickly that it's really difficult to disrupt their spiel (and usually you don't want to be rude). Next time I'll be prepared, I hope.

Assuming this wasn't just some kind of awkward prelude to a burglary, what was this guy hoping to do? Do you live somewhere that's not locked down by a single ISP?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

General Specific posted:

Assuming this wasn't just some kind of awkward prelude to a burglary, what was this guy hoping to do? Do you live somewhere that's not locked down by a single ISP?

If he wasn't just casing the place for a burglary he probably had some cheap router he was going to try to sell as being the fancy highest tech poo poo. Get some grandma who doesn't know gently caress all and you can talk about how their old router is giving them slower internet because it isn't comparable with the fancy glass fiber laser quantum switching unit that he, as an ISP worker, just installed down the block. This would also explain why he was put out by him knowing his exact router as that implies he isn't the kind of person who can be convinced they need more gigabytes in their thruware to prevent their packets from getting bad sectors.

Frankly, it could have been both. Sell a cheap wal mart router for 5x what it' worth and while you're at it see if the TV is worth coming back for later.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

im the part of the story where the goon blindly buzzes everyone into their apartment building

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

I'm irritated with AT&T at the moment. I was doing some contracting work for a manufacturing business that's in a small agricultural town in Northern California. They were operating on a "business U-Verse" ADSL that maxed out at very slow speeds, something like 3m down 768k up. I called AT&T's uverse sales and asked if I could order their Business fiber which provides symmetrical speeds up to 50mbps. I was told the service wasn't available to the building. They said call the enterprise networking sales. Enterprise told me they could bring a 20/20 connection in for X dollars per month and it would be even cheaper if I opted to include 10 voice phone lines which we weren't obligated to use. It was a 3 year contract. The CEO approved and signed the contract and 2 months later the service was installed and turned up. The VERY DAY I finished doing the turn up testing with the technician, a AT&T sales guy walked into the suite excited offering the business class 50mbps fiber service in! Clearly whatever equipment ATT put into our suite for the enterprise fiber and phone now allows for the lower tier service to be available to the rest of the building. I called my rep at AT&T back and complained and basically was met with "Sorry, you signed a contract" and "But the service you have is better because availability, troubleshooting response SLA, etc" Needless to say the CEO is pretty upset.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Panaflex posted:

I'm irritated with AT&T at the moment. I was doing some contracting work for a manufacturing business that's in a small agricultural town in Northern California. They were operating on a "business U-Verse" ADSL that maxed out at very slow speeds, something like 3m down 768k up. I called AT&T's uverse sales and asked if I could order their Business fiber which provides symmetrical speeds up to 50mbps. I was told the service wasn't available to the building. They said call the enterprise networking sales. Enterprise told me they could bring a 20/20 connection in for X dollars per month and it would be even cheaper if I opted to include 10 voice phone lines which we weren't obligated to use. It was a 3 year contract. The CEO approved and signed the contract and 2 months later the service was installed and turned up. The VERY DAY I finished doing the turn up testing with the technician, a AT&T sales guy walked into the suite excited offering the business class 50mbps fiber service in! Clearly whatever equipment ATT put into our suite for the enterprise fiber and phone now allows for the lower tier service to be available to the rest of the building. I called my rep at AT&T back and complained and basically was met with "Sorry, you signed a contract" and "But the service you have is better because availability, troubleshooting response SLA, etc" Needless to say the CEO is pretty upset.

That's pretty scummy, and brilliant from the POV of :capitalism:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Cyrano4747 posted:

If he wasn't just casing the place for a burglary he probably had some cheap router he was going to try to sell as being the fancy highest tech poo poo. Get some grandma who doesn't know gently caress all and you can talk about how their old router is giving them slower internet because it isn't comparable with the fancy glass fiber laser quantum switching unit that he, as an ISP worker, just installed down the block. This would also explain why he was put out by him knowing his exact router as that implies he isn't the kind of person who can be convinced they need more gigabytes in their thruware to prevent their packets from getting bad sectors.

Frankly, it could have been both. Sell a cheap wal mart router for 5x what it' worth and while you're at it see if the TV is worth coming back for later.

No way, that was a totally a Centurylink sales pitch; that's exactly how their door-to-door salesmen operate. Their pitch starts out with "we just upgraded to fiber in your neighborhood!" and it's as truthful as you'd expect from a door-to-door salesmen. It could mean anything from offering fiber to the home on your street, fiber to the central office or fiber buried somewhere in your state. It's the same meaningless marketing buzzword to them now as it was 10 years ago when Qwest, a telcom they purchased, was selling 20mbps "Fiber-Optic Internet"

"Just some random dude with a Centurylink ID" is how they dress. They're weird and pushy.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

General Specific posted:

Wait wait wait

What is this "locked down by a single ISP" malarkey

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

iajanus posted:

Wait wait wait

What is this "locked down by a single ISP" malarkey

I guess you could say it's a common scam :smug:

In a great many parts of the US, residents live in areas with a single ISP having a functional monopoly over internet service.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
alot of them also like to go "But we aren't the only option!!!", conveniently ignoring that said other options are dial up and 3mbit dsl

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

alot of them also like to go "But we aren't the only option!!!", conveniently ignoring that said other options are dial up and 3mbit dsl

And wireless. Ajit Pai and co. view 4G as a viable alternative and competitor to land lines.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

MANime in the sheets posted:

And wireless. Ajit Pai and co. view 4G as a viable alternative and competitor to land lines.

Isnt it though? Like I have friends who use their phones for 99% of their internet use. Other then games and streaming I don't think I would miss wired internet if I had to do without it.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I'd be slightly ok with 4g as a viable alternative if it wasn't so drat limited. 2gb of what, 25mbps? for $50 is a joke when i can get 200mbps, unlimited for $30 (though central texas is an anomaly, granted)

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 21, 2017

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

bongwizzard posted:

Isnt it though? Like I have friends who use their phones for 99% of their internet use. Other then games and streaming I don't think I would miss wired internet if I had to do without it.

Those two things are exactly why it's not a viable alternative. Very restrictive data caps and high ping times. Between my roomate and I we ballpark that we use over 1 TB of data a month and are both gamers. For some sure, 4G can substitute for a land line, but to consider it a viable option for businesses or the populace as a whole is a joke. If the caps were totally removed and $50 a month gave you unlimited data without throttling (or 200GB or 500GB or whatever Comcast is doing now) that would be a different discussion - ping becomes the only real difference at that point.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Those two things are exactly why it's not a viable alternative. Very restrictive data caps and high ping times. Between my roomate and I we ballpark that we use over 1 TB of data a month and are both gamers. For some sure, 4G can substitute for a land line, but to consider it a viable option for businesses or the populace as a whole is a joke. If the caps were totally removed and $50 a month gave you unlimited data without throttling (or 200GB or 500GB or whatever Comcast is doing now) that would be a different discussion - ping becomes the only real difference at that point.

"just don't stream" also isn't a good expectation in this day and age even if you just say people shouldn't play video games.

Take education as an example: even in seated (i.e. not online only) classes it's really common for videos to be assigned as part of the homework. Being stuck on a limited speed with limited data caps can really gently caress that up.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If the caps were totally removed and $50 a month gave you unlimited data without throttling (or 200GB or 500GB or whatever Comcast is doing now) that would be a different discussion - ping becomes the only real difference at that point.

Comcast is 1TB these days, it used to be 300gb. I believe that a $50 surcharge for unlimited is also unlimited, but I'm generally happy with 'allowed to obliterate the caps 2 months in a year' we get.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

Comcast is 1TB these days, it used to be 300gb. I believe that a $50 surcharge for unlimited is also unlimited, but I'm generally happy with 'allowed to obliterate the caps 2 months in a year' we get.

Is two months in a year? I was under the understanding it was two months *ever* and then your grace months are gone.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Here's a link that explains it. It's Comcast so I'm sure they can change their mind at any time though. It also covers the $50 unlimited addon.

quote:

We’ll provide you with two courtesy months, so you will not be billed the first two times you exceed a terabyte while you are getting used to the new data usage plan. This means that you will only be subject to overage charges if you use more than a terabyte for a third time in a 12-month period. If you use more than a terabyte two times or less in a 12-month period, your courtesy month balance will reset to two at the end of these 12 months.

https://dataplan.xfinity.com/faq/

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Another phone driveby scam today from a Florida number, where a badly done automated voice told me the IRS was suing me.

(352) 600 - 3502

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

CommieGIR posted:

Another phone driveby scam today from a Florida number, where a badly done automated voice told me the IRS was suing me.

(352) 600 - 3502

Did they tell you to buy iTunes gift cards and send them to them?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

(352) 600 - 3502

Don't bother posting the numbers, they never stay the same.

MightyJoe36 posted:

Did they tell you to buy iTunes gift cards and send them to them?

I got this call today but I know how the IRS contacts you (mail) so I hung up.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
A bunch of people in my area the other day (including me) got text messages warning that our PenFed accounts were compromised.

Guess who doesn't have a PenFed account....

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

MisterOblivious posted:

No way, that was a totally a Centurylink sales pitch; that's exactly how their door-to-door salesmen operate. Their pitch starts out with "we just upgraded to fiber in your neighborhood!" and it's as truthful as you'd expect from a door-to-door salesmen. It could mean anything from offering fiber to the home on your street, fiber to the central office or fiber buried somewhere in your state. It's the same meaningless marketing buzzword to them now as it was 10 years ago when Qwest, a telcom they purchased, was selling 20mbps "Fiber-Optic Internet"

"Just some random dude with a Centurylink ID" is how they dress. They're weird and pushy.

Yup, Qwest or Centurylink did this a few years ago here. poo poo-tons of ads targetting at least some customers, claiming HAY WE GOTS FIBUR NOW, when as best I can determine not a single home-customer fiber link exists in the city.

If I go search for fiber connection by CL, it's like loving Seattle or Oregon as the closest. (Although they also claim my apartment building doesn't have/can't get CL DSL service. :downs: )

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

republicant posted:

There's a class action lawsuit against the people responsible for a ton of "free cruise" robocalls, and if your phone number is listed in the call records you can be eligible to receive $300 per call up to 3 calls.

https://www.rmgtcpasettlement.com/Home.aspx

(Website has been swamped all day today but seems to be working now.)

Thanks for the tip - my number wasn't in the database but my wife's was. $300 bones can buy a lot of steak from the back of cars - thanks goons!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Guest2553 posted:

Thanks for the tip - my number wasn't in the database but my wife's was. $300 bones can buy a lot of steak from the back of cars - thanks goons!

Where did you go to check that?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Cyrano4747 posted:

Where did you go to check that?

At the bottom of that link, in little letters, there's a line 'file a claim'. Click on it and it will bring you to another page, in which there's a bunch of options and a couple of them say 'check if your number is eligible'. Enter it and it'll give you the thumbs-up or down.

Mine wasn't, but my elderly father's is, I'll try to get him a few bucks.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

My parent's number was also on the list so I filed for them. They get all kinds of robo calls all day, everyday, so they'll probably get the max.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Still getting my area code+first 3 digit robot "Hi I'm Turing from rreward center, can you hear me?"

I say nothing and it goes on to tell me that I won and say yes if I want to proceed and hear the great reward I got!

I say nothing each time and the call ends there, I've posted this before but I get them 2-3 times a week now

The 3 other lines on my plan all start with the same area+first 3, but when the robot caller numbers have +1 always, and my family never does

Does this imply they're out outside the states? The voice is very American and is probably impossible to be as happy as this girl sounds about doing cold outbound calls