Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
has anyone tried baking bread in a cast iron pot on a gas grill? i don't have central AC, so running the oven at 475 for hours during the summer is pretty much a non-starter. it seems like the grill ought to get hot enough to do this, but i would imagine regulating the temperature would be more difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

It really takes effort not to see the bread as floating above the rack. I don't know what in particular causes this optical illusion, but it's neat. Particularly because of the irony of it not having risen enough.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Mr. Glass posted:

has anyone tried baking bread in a cast iron pot on a gas grill? i don't have central AC, so running the oven at 475 for hours during the summer is pretty much a non-starter. it seems like the grill ought to get hot enough to do this, but i would imagine regulating the temperature would be more difficult.

I've done it in my charcoal grill. This year I'll just not bake bread when it's 90+ I think.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Mr. Glass posted:

It'll work, but what you really want for outdoor baking is a proper cast iron Dutch Oven.

You are supposed to put coals on top, so the heat is even all around, but if you want to do it on a gas grill, you can just get the lid screaming hot before you put the oven on the grill.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Mr. Glass posted:

I have, works fine if your grill is adjustable enough. Indirect heat is a good idea.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I am definitely making peanut bread soon. Sounds delicious.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

I just started my first sourdough starter and I'm concerned that I'm growing poison. The first two days it didn't do poo poo, and then suddenly it doubled in size. After a couple feedings, it formed a gross watery layer on top which I read meant I was adding too much water. This is also around the time that it started smelling reeaally strong. I added just flour the next feeding, and still had a bit of water at the top. The last feeding I did 1 part water, 2 parts flour. My wife has said it can't be in the kitchen anymore due to the smell. I know it is supposed to smell sour, but should I be able to smell it as soon as i walk into the kitchen?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You can cover it. I use a delitainer but masons are good too. Liquid is fine if it doesn't smell of acetone. If it gets smelling sharp you can also feed it more often.

2:1 is the correct ratio by volume but you should really use a scale to ensure 100% hyrdation until it's strong enough to cut to a 50 or 66% if desired.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 20, 2017

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Oh really? Everything I read said cover with a towel, I assumed air flow was needed.

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004
I use one of these with a couple holes poked in the top

https://www.amazon.com/Deli-Storage...RZKVWXE1DW371HW

Obviously don't buy one from amazon just keep the next takeout container you get.

I think I've had the same one for like 6 years? Just have to scrape the crust out of the corners when it bubbles up and hits the lid/dries. I dunno, there's a lot of precision/sperging in bread but I think starter maintenance is probably the least important. I just go for a thick paste consistency and feed it every 12-24 hours if you plan on making bread with it soon, otherwise keep it in the fridge. As long as your house is fairly warm it should really come to life within 2 days of taking it out of the fridge (doubling-tripling in size in a few hours).

I just had mine in the fridge for like 3 months w/ no feedings and it only took 2 feedings to have it back to full strength. If this was winter and my house was 5f colder it would take double that time, I swear.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Friend posted:

Oh really? Everything I read said cover with a towel, I assumed air flow was needed.

For the first two feedings? The yeast will gently caress with or without oxygen, you obviously want to condition it for oxygen unless you're making beer but covering a container won't push that threadhold.

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

Just found out about this thread, I've never made bread before, I've been watching a pile of 18th century cooking and decided to give a rustic bread a try!

It was good!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Team_q posted:

Just found out about this thread, I've never made bread before, I've been watching a pile of 18th century cooking and decided to give a rustic bread a try!

It was good!

That's a crazy good first effort. You've got the touch, you've got the power!

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Team_q posted:

It was good!

Gutenbrot. Keep at it, that's a great first loaf.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Team_q posted:

It was good!

That's a really nice crumb for a first loaf!

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I'm thinking about baking my first loaf of bread, any tips/common noobie mistakes I should avoid?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I'm thinking about baking my first loaf of bread, any tips/common noobie mistakes I should avoid?

Just do the bread. It won't be perfect; nobody's first loaf is. You'll start to get a feel for how the dough should behave a few loaves in.

I guess the biggest thing is to not severely underproof or overproof. Put it in a clear container with plenty of vertical space, mark its height, and take it out when it's doubled. Time doesn't matter so much.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

We had a challenge a few years back to bake A Bread without a recipe, or measuring. Pretty much everyone managed to make A Bread.

Mastering bread is a long and experimental process, but getting a good enough loaf is pretty easy. :)

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Get a scale.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Liquid Communism posted:

We had a challenge a few years back to bake A Bread without a recipe, or measuring. Pretty much everyone managed to make A Bread.

Mastering bread is a long and experimental process, but getting a good enough loaf is pretty easy. :)

Just feel the dough. You'll know when it's right. It's a built-in human skill.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I eat so much bread that I just use a breadmaker for the quick and dirty stuff so that I can make fancy loaves on weekends. Bread bread bread!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I find kneading to be zen-like, so I don't bother with the breadmaker.

Nothing I've found in this world makes me more content than the smell of fresh bread, though. :3:

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004
Don't use too much water. A lot of the popular bread books emphasize high hydration recipes, and they make really good bread, but the dough is a lot harder to work with and I think it's harder for noobs to tell if the dough has risen enough etc. All the flat foccacia looking loaves posted on breadit to me look like they just used way too much water, and in the comments people bring up everything except that.

Flour doesn't absorb water instantly when you're mixing the ingredients. It's ok if the dough is a little bit hard and maybe there's a little bit of flour in the bottom of the bowl that isn't fully absorbed into the dough ball. After you mix it let the dough sit covered in plastic wrap for a half hour. This will let the flour molecules absorb all the water and the dough will feel looser and relax.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

mmartinx posted:

Don't use too much water. A lot of the popular bread books emphasize high hydration recipes, and they make really good bread, but the dough is a lot harder to work with and I think it's harder for noobs to tell if the dough has risen enough etc. All the flat foccacia looking loaves posted on breadit to me look like they just used way too much water, and in the comments people bring up everything except that.

Doesn't more hydration typically create an airier loaf? A more watery dough will give you lots of uneven holes but it shouldn't go flat unless you just don't leave it in the oven long enough.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

exquisite tea posted:

Doesn't more hydration typically create an airier loaf? A more watery dough will give you lots of uneven holes but it shouldn't go flat unless you just don't leave it in the oven long enough.
It will go flat almost immediately because it won't hold its shape and it will spread out. It takes quite a bit of practice to get a very watery loaf into a shape other than pancake-like.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

What level of hydration are we talking about to get to that point? I've been using a rustic loaf recipe for the last two years at 70% and it always ends up perfect, of course maybe that's because I drop it in the dutch oven first.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Total hydration or initial ratio? Fresh ground sourdough can get in the 90's total.

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004
60-70% is probably fine. I think beginners think that their first loaf is gonna come out like what they see on instagram and go w/ 80%+ hydration and bullshit low gluten whole wheat flours. And they end up w/ a puddle.

You have any pictures of the loaves you make at 70%? I'm always curious about what people consider perfect bread.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

exquisite tea posted:

What level of hydration are we talking about to get to that point? I've been using a rustic loaf recipe for the last two years at 70% and it always ends up perfect, of course maybe that's because I drop it in the dutch oven first.
A dutch oven will minimize spreading because the bread can only spread out as large as the oven.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

TychoCelchuuu posted:

A dutch oven will minimize spreading because the bread can only spread out as large as the oven.

There are other reasons dutch ovens are great for hearth bread, too. The increased radiant heat and conductive heat (both on the walls and base) will give you better oven spring and a better crust, and the porous metal will absorb surface moisture so you get a crispier crust.

A clay pot (Roemertopf is a common brand) offers all of these advantages and more, at the cost of a little bit of thermal mass. Not a big deal, since bread doesn't need a gigantic heat sink, unlike, say, steak (for which you should either use a gigantic heat source or a gigantic heat sink; cast iron is the usual solution).

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Guess I'm gonna make a few practice loaves before I do this special recipe with expensive (by my standards) ingredients then.

justdan
Mar 31, 2010
I did a bread thing.

Considering this was my first time ever, I'm just glad I didn't somehow blow up the oven, or inadvertently make poison.

I tried to roughly follow follow some of the recipies for milk bread with tangzhong that were being posted here.

Could have been better, could also have been much worse, ha.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

angor posted:

Tojiro ITK 270mm - This is easily the best bread knife I've ever used.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/toitkbrkn.html

I finally got around to picking one of these up and holy hell it's a lightsaber. Thanks for the recommendation.

Dr. Light
Dec 16, 2006
I baked some bread last weekend! I made the Saturday White from 'Flour, Water, Salt, Yeast' and just a basic white sourdough from my starter. I need to work with the sourdough a bit more, as I'd like to get a darker crust on it. I might add some whole wheat flour and perhaps a bit of an egg wash next time I make it. I am THRILLED with how the Saturday White turned out though! I'm currently making the overnight 40% whole wheat bread from FWSY, so hopefully it will be just as successful! The texture of the sourdough was wonderful for spreading peanut butter for breakfast, despite the light crust.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Nice crumb on that FWSY loaf.

I did a rosemary and sun dried tomato loaf, came out quite tasty.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I adore how easy it is to make A Bread.

1T yeast, 1T kosher salt, 1lb warm water, 1lb flour. Hit it with the dough hook in the stand mixer until fully moist. Threw a flour sack over it and am letting it rise a couple hours while doing other things.

I'll divide and shape it after that, ~20m to proof up, and an hour or so later I'll have bread for the work week.

Dr. Light
Dec 16, 2006
I made another FWSY loaf yesterday! This time I tried the 40% whole wheat overnight loaf. I love how easily this dough comes together. I want to experiment a bit more now with adding seeds and other flours.

Is there a good online retailer for specialty flours? I'm interested in trying some rye, spelt, and emmer, but I haven't seen any at grocery stores around here.

Also, don't mind the dumb little brick loaves in the background. I wanted to see how the other half of the dough turns out if baked in loaf pans. It's a little shallow, but it makes great crostini when thinly sliced!

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004

Dr. Light posted:

Is there a good online retailer for specialty flours? I'm interested in trying some rye, spelt, and emmer, but I haven't seen any at grocery stores around here.

What country are you in? I feel like even convenience stores in the US carry at the very least rye flour.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So I've discovered my family has an 8 cup measuring "cup" (I really hesitate to call it that due to the size). Suddenly, checking if my dough is doubled is a lot easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Dr. Light posted:

I made another FWSY loaf yesterday! This time I tried the 40% whole wheat overnight loaf. I love how easily this dough comes together. I want to experiment a bit more now with adding seeds and other flours.

Also, don't mind the dumb little brick loaves in the background. I wanted to see how the other half of the dough turns out if baked in loaf pans. It's a little shallow, but it makes great crostini when thinly sliced!

Bob's Red Mill sells most flours that you would want to use, including some not listed. I've found their quality to be consistent and wonderful, even though the prices can be a little much.