Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Nintendo?
This poll is closed.
Nintendon't 45 22.73%
Nintendoomed 22 11.11%
Nintendrone 13 6.57%
Nintendovahkiin 55 27.78%
Nintend'oh! 63 31.82%
Total: 198 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Dank OG bud is A OK with me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Twin Peaks doesn't even really have teens anymore in season 3.

The average age of the actors involved is something crazy like 61. It owns.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
life is strange takes some vague influence from twin peaks but it's in the same way alan wake takes vague influence from twin peaks

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
ok pretentious isn't the right word, at least for life is strange

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anyway i've never talked to someone who liked twin peaks or lis who came off like an especially huge prick because of it so i'm not really sure where this is even coming from

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I finally have an excuse to post this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBjxO6i95PI

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
If I'm remembering Twin Peaks correctly, it had 30 year olds playing 18 year olds in the 90's who spoke like they were from the 50's.

And their parts of the story were always the least interesting anyway. I need to know how the curtain rod storyline ends.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

vermin posted:

I need to know how the curtain rod storyline ends.

Season 3 has your answer and it's a wonderful one

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

vermin posted:

And their parts of the story were always the least interesting anyway. I need to know how the curtain rod storyline ends.
Nadine finally shoveled her way out of the poo poo.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Twin Peaks rules ok

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Raxivace posted:

Twin Peaks doesn't even really have teens anymore in season 3.

The average age of the actors involved is something crazy like 61. It owns.

Unironically this. I can't thing of any other show on TV that features a bunch of older actors outside of specific sitcoms I guess.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Twin Peaks is very good, and so is My So-Called Life, and so is Life is Strange which is the natural synthesis of the two.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My So-Called Life Is Strange In Twin Peaks

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
When are we getting a game that's like Rabbits though

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Palpek posted:

The ATM that Mario is using after stomping goombas to death the entire day: feed me a stray cat.

DK knows all about that feeling.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Twin Peaks S3 is Lynch running wild, completely unrestricted by making the show palatable to a larger audience

that nuclear explosion episode owns

initial run was great but I love this too even though it's different

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

CJacobs posted:

My So-Called Life Is Strange In Twin Peaks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzvXBFwcyek

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Monkey Fracas posted:

Twin Peaks S3 is Lynch running wild, completely unrestricted by making the show palatable to a larger audience

that nuclear explosion episode owns

initial run was great but I love this too even though it's different

I'm very glad that I watched Fire Walk With Me in theatre the night before Season 3 started because it's almost got more connections to that movie than with the original show itself.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I watched Fire Walk With Me before I saw the original series :whitewater:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
People talked down FWWM for years but when I actually sat down to watch Twin Peaks for the first time last year I liked it a lot more than I expected. Certainly better than any of the non-Lynch S2 episodes.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

In general FWWM seems to have gotten the critical re-evaluation that Lynch hoped it would.

The real question is if people will start liking INLAND EMPIRE.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Nate RFB posted:

People talked down FWWM for years but when I actually sat down to watch Twin Peaks for the first time last year I liked it a lot more than I expected. Certainly better than any of the non-Lynch S2 episodes.

You take that back, the James and Evelyn plotline was vital. Vital!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Raxivace posted:

Man. Maaaaaaaaan.

I'll probably have to rewatch IE before I decide how I ultimately feel about it. That thing is both insanely long and essentially impenetrable (at least for a first time viewer), which is a rough combo.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Raxivace posted:

In general FWWM seems to have gotten the critical re-evaluation that Lynch hoped it would.

most film critics still dismiss lynch out of hand these days anyway, its cool that someone finally let him produce some film again. i hope for many more years of movies

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Inland Empire is like, my favorite David Lynch movie. I don't even think it's particularly hard to follow if you're familiar with Lynch and understand how he doesn't tell a story linearly, but recursively.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Most film critics I've read consider David Lynch to be one of the finest directors living today?

Now if you're talking about social media shitheads then I don't follow them and wouldn't know

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

I'm playing a video game...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Most film critics I've read consider David Lynch to be one of the finest directors living today?

Now if you're talking about social media shitheads then I don't follow them and wouldn't know

THere's lots of good writing about and around Lynch but I meant in the general pop sense yeah, which unfortunately is the people that determine his marketability and such. Like booing all his films at Cannes, etc. Its stupid stuff but it weirds me out to still see negativity like that around his work still

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

FirstAidKite posted:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The only thing I really won't defend from Lynch is Dune. I can see why some people appreciate it but it's just not his best work, and you can tell he's not as confident as he could be in its direction.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mario X Rabbids is shaping up to be a monster

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

FirstAidKite posted:

i find the videogames you like peculiar in an interesting way mr. first aid kite

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

i find the videogames you like peculiar in an interesting way mr. first aid kite

I don't like this game

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Lynch is critically well liked but Fire Walk With Me was not well reviewed when it was released. In general Lynch can be very hit it miss with critics for obvious reasons.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Oh man I loooooved Tocoma. I actually shouted "what the gently caress!" in reaction to something later in the game, so it gets an A+ from me

I'll say though that it's INCREDIBLY short. I don't think I'd recommend the game at the current price, even with it being $20. I'd wait for it to go on sale. But if you like these kinds of walking simulator games I totally recommend it.

I do hope one day these kinds of games have actual modeled humans in them to interact with :v:

edit: Also the ending was actually satisfying! Which is usually an issue I have with these games where I'm super into it for the most part until they stumble with the endings (Firewatch and Vanishing of Ethan Carter I'm looking at you)

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn6Sy3Xx5Ss
:psyduck:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Reminder that FFXIII-2 had DLC Mass Effect armor.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Yeah but this is a whole scenario that feels like it could've fit into the main story, just also Sponsored by Assassins Creed (TM).

e: it's not bad, just weird that this will give human empire guys more screentime than the actual game.

Motto fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 24, 2017

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Raxivace posted:

I really doubt it, that movie is as impenetrable as it is long.

Macaluso posted:

I'll say though that it's INCREDIBLY short. I don't think I'd recommend the game at the current price, even with it being $20. I'd wait for it to go on sale. But if you like these kinds of walking simulator games I totally recommend it.

This was my issue with gone home, mainly that the length didn't mesh with the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Motto posted:

Yeah but this is a whole scenario that feels like it could've fit into the main story, just also Sponsored by Assassins Creed (TM).

Oh I know, that trailer has more plot than certain chapters of the main game.

• Locked thread