Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Hughlander posted:

Does anyone know anything about "Darker Projects"? They're a weird group that seemed to have been really really active before Serialized Podcasts hit it off, (Most their stuff seems to be 2007 to 2009.) But they have this annoying rear end habit of releasing 2-3 episodes of something, on the same day if the RSS feed is to be believed and then dropping it.

I only heard of them from people talking about The Byron Chronicles which was ok in the first few seasons but went to poo poo after that and apparently they're still making new ones.

But for some of these older ones like 'Generation One' were there really just 2 episodes produced, released on the same day, then given up on? WTF? Or Far Horizon, 6 episodes and it just peters out...

I only listened to Byron Chronicles which was like you said pretty okay and then hit this horrible rear end thing where there was like one episode a year and I lost interest. But that does seem to be the case for them.

Has anyone listened to The Leviathan Chronicles? Sci-fi story about a race of immortal people. Season 1 wasn't bad but then there was a huge delay for season 2 part 1 and I think we're still waiting on part 2.

Edit: Oh, Leviathan is on hold because his wife got cancer and then passed away :(

Len fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
My commute went from an hour's drive to a 4 minute walk so I guess I'm not listening to podcasts anymore. :(

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Use the new found time as gym podcast time my man

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Len posted:

I only listened to Byron Chronicles which was like you said pretty okay and then hit this horrible rear end thing where there was like one episode a year and I lost interest. But that does seem to be the case for them.

Has anyone listened to The Leviathan Chronicles? Sci-fi story about a race of immortal people. Season 1 wasn't bad but then there was a huge delay for season 2 part 1 and I think we're still waiting on part 2.

Edit: Oh, Leviathan is on hold because his wife got cancer and then passed away :(

Yah, and you heard exactly when they discovered Leviathan Chronicles...

My problem was also just inconsistent writing like Byron goes from hopping out a plane and being action boy, to falling out of a building and being human for 9 months

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Arrhythmia posted:

Use the new found time as gym podcast time my man

Yeah, maybe I'll start going for runs or something.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Excellent "Magnus Archives" episode this week. Holy poo poo. These guys never fail to impress. Looking forward to where this leads.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Agreed, and made painfully clear how I feel about my different podcasts listening to one right after the other.

Tanis: Callie doesn't exist, heh ok I guess.
Magnus Archives: Wait WAIT THAT SCREAM, THAT OUTBURST! HOLY poo poo THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED TO SASHA

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Tweak posted:

Agreed, and made painfully clear how I feel about my different podcasts listening to one right after the other.

Magnus Archives: Wait WAIT THAT SCREAM, THAT OUTBURST! HOLY poo poo THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED TO SASHA

Hah, I had the same reactions in the exact same order. I still enjoy Tanis just for Nic, but goddamn its torture sometimes..

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Tweak posted:

What's cool is this has been around since the beginning.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Some speculation on why that is: I'm guessing we'll find out that all of the early statements are very, very relevant to the stuff that's happening now. The archives were "disorganized" so it makes sense they would start with organizing whatever is closest to hand - that is, what Gertrude would have had close to hand (but not revealing enough to take special care of) before she was killed.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Gave Magnus Archives another shot today and something about listening to it on the night shift made it finally click. It's loving great and seeing things connect because I'm marathoning it is great and the whole thing is great. Good poo poo.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Tfw you're listening to Magnus Archives and spending twenty minutes trying to remember why a name sounds familiar and it hits you out of nowhere like an hour later

Podcast is so good even if I'm not a huge fan of some of the individual stories. I love this world they're slowly revealing.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
If I'm understanding the final reveal of LifeAfter correctly, Sasha and co played a very long game of faking Charlie's death to get Ross into the program because he was involved in the FBI investigation into LifeAfter?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Kraps posted:

If I'm understanding the final reveal of LifeAfter correctly, Sasha and co played a very long game of faking Charlie's death to get Ross into the program because he was involved in the FBI investigation into LifeAfter?

That was my take on it. Charlie was the worst and I hope he didn't forgive her for that poo poo. Uncool bro.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

New Leaf posted:

Hah, I had the same reactions in the exact same order. I still enjoy Tanis just for Nic, but goddamn its torture sometimes..

It's not an easy thing to understand

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Just started listening to Passage. I'm enjoying it so far. Since it's only 7 episodes, I'm hoping it actually wraps up at the end. A podcast about a spooky mystery in the Pacific Northwest that actually has a conclusion would be nice.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I know this isn't the "proper" thread for it since technically its a non-fiction podcast, but in the lead up to a recent episode of "Tanis" Nic mentioned another podcast called "Astonishing Legends" that I started listening to and REALLY enjoy! They basically outline and analyze real world myths and legends, like Springheel Jack and the Oak Island Money Pit, or all the mysteries behind the Amelia Earhart disappearance and go through all the possibilities to find any kernels of truth in the myths. I've been bingeing on them lately and really enjoy their style.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

New Leaf posted:

I know this isn't the "proper" thread for it since technically its a non-fiction podcast, but in the lead up to a recent episode of "Tanis" Nic mentioned another podcast called "Astonishing Legends" that I started listening to and REALLY enjoy! They basically outline and analyze real world myths and legends, like Springheel Jack and the Oak Island Money Pit, or all the mysteries behind the Amelia Earhart disappearance and go through all the possibilities to find any kernels of truth in the myths. I've been bingeing on them lately and really enjoy their style.

Is it better than Lore? That one started out okay but it mostly just sounds like he reads from creepy Wikipedia pages so I dropped it

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Len posted:

Is it better than Lore? That one started out okay but it mostly just sounds like he reads from creepy Wikipedia pages so I dropped it

Never heard of it, but from your description, I'd say yes, it is. They lay out the story but focus on facts that have somewhat reliable sources. If and when they're out to tell a spooky story, they make it clear from the start.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

Binging through Homecoming, it's quite good, I'm just curious if there's anything David Schwimmer is in where he doesn't play a huge rear end in a top hat.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Finished Passage. I enjoyed it - not going to be one of my top-tier podcasts or anything, but for a 3.5 hour or so self-contained story I thought it did a pretty good job.

Kraps posted:

Binging through Homecoming, it's quite good, I'm just curious if there's anything David Schwimmer is in where he doesn't play a huge rear end in a top hat.

I thought his role as Robert Kardashian in The People vs. OJ Simpson was the most, if not the only, really sympathetic character in the show.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
He wasn't a complete rear end in a top hat on The Wonder Years, per se...

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

New Magnus Archives: OH gently caress

also that was super dumb of you John, how did you come to the exact opposite conclusion regarding the table?

Tweak fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 17, 2017

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
Now that Alice Isn't Dead is getting a TV show, I guess the "podcast as pilot" model is officially a thing? At least they're mostly making good choices (Welcome to Night Vale would not work onscreen).

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Tweak posted:

also that was super dumb of you John, how did you come to the exact opposite conclusion regarding the table?

:stare:

Uhh, yeah. That certainly was a thing. The wait for the next episode is going to be excruciating.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Tweak posted:

gently caress me that was a hell of an episode.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

OK I realize The Passage is really short but I'm nearing 3 episodes of exposition and backstory about things I don't care about and I'm losing my mind.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Boy howdy was Spine's first season way way better than the second, yowza.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Catching up on Magnus Archives. Episode 62 was quite the humdinger wasn't it?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Also someone has made a timeline of the Magnus Archives up to near current. Warning only look at it if you're caught up

http://the-magnus-archives.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Goddamn, Magnus. Knocking them out of the loving park. Next week can't get here fast enough!

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

New Leaf posted:

Goddamn, Magnus. Knocking them out of the loving park. Next week can't get here fast enough!

I just finished season one. I wish the audio quality had been better, as I could barely hear a lot of the dialogue during the attack on the archives. It was nice hearing Jonathan gradually transition from a soulless recording machine to a human being with emotions.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

In regards to the audio quality, the success of their patreon has enabled them to get a new studio, so the recordings should start sounding better.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Yeah he shared some pictures of his old recording studio and it was a blanket fort.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Also looks like Magnus Archives finally made the top 100 downloaded podcasts in the Arts section.

#82, still way too low. But nice to see it gaining more popularity.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Jurgan posted:

I just finished season one. I wish the audio quality had been better, as I could barely hear a lot of the dialogue during the attack on the archives. It was nice hearing Jonathan gradually transition from a soulless recording machine to a human being with emotions.

So glad for the $10 Paterson reward, the transcript came in today!

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I just got to the part of Wolf 359 where they decided to tell a story instead of being goofy space time and this poo poo is tasty

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Arrhythmia posted:

I just got to the part of Wolf 359 where they decided to tell a story instead of being goofy space time and this poo poo is tasty

Yeah. The goofier early episodes work, but they really do a drat good job with the story once it starts as well. The humor early on really makes you like the characters before things start getting interesting.

immolationsex
Sep 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I ENJOY RUINING STEAK LIKE A GODDAMN BARBARIAN

theblackw0lf posted:

In regards to the audio quality, the success of their patreon has enabled them to get a new studio, so the recordings should start sounding better.
There's a TV series deal coming out of this for the creators, mark my words

Arrhythmia posted:

When would you say that part begins? I listened to ep 20? 30? or so some time ago, and the wackiness never seemed to stop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

immolationsex posted:

When would you say that part begins? I listened to ep 20? 30? or so some time ago, and the wackiness never seemed to stop

Most episodes still have some comedy but the plot gets started in the mid 20s and big events happen in the 30s.if you already listened up to twenty may as well keep going.