Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Paul MaudDib posted:

Using it as a cache drive can thrash it pretty hard, depending on how much turnover it's getting.

ShadowPlay can also generate a large volume of writes if Instant Replay is enabled, since it's basically writing at its capture rate any time you are playing a game (or any time the computer is running, if Desktop Capture is enabled). It's not going to kill a drive by itself, but all these things do add up, and if you throw in some 10x-100x write amplification (small random writes, or running a drive that isn't sufficiently overprovisioned very close to full) we are now talking about enough data to potentially burn up the flash within a relevant timeframe (years).

I wouldn't put major effort into minimizing writes but if there's obviously stupid things that are spamming writes then it's worth taking 30 seconds to turn them off.

It's really hard to 'guess' what type of user a SHSC goon might be. Half of us are uber nerds that set up enterprise scenarios in our homes for fun. The other half are just normal people that want to use games and facebook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

redeyes posted:

Yeah I checked a friends computer and it was in fact writing way way too much. Maybe the new metro app fixes it?
The "new" Metro app is actually the old Chromium based desktop client run through Project Centennial. Which is kind of odd, with what WinRT being able to run apps written in HTML+JS. The porting effort to the Edge runtime can't be that ball breakingly hard. But no, ship a fat as gently caress Chromium runtime with it instead.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Combat Pretzel posted:

The "new" Metro app is actually the old Chromium based desktop client run through Project Centennial. Which is kind of odd, with what WinRT being able to run apps written in HTML+JS. The porting effort to the Edge runtime can't be that ball breakingly hard. But no, ship a fat as gently caress Chromium runtime with it instead.

One step forward, 10 steps back. Figures.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Is there a consensus on which is the best budget mATX AM4 mobo?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Palladium posted:

I don't know if you will ever have a consensus, but its probably one of the Asus, MSI, or Asrock offerings. I personally ended up with the ASrock Pro 4 and it has been pretty good. The first set of ram I purchased for it wouldn't run above 2400, but it wasn't on the QVL and I knew it might not work when I bought it. Ended with some Vengance LPX (also not on the QVL but confirmed online it would likely work). Other then that its functioned as one would hope. If I remember correctly MSI had very good VRAM cooling and power delivery. The ASUS had great power delivery but only above average VRAM cooling. Finally the ASrock had the best VRAM cooling but the power delivery was only above average at best. The only reason I think that to be relevant is because the socket is supposed to be supported for several more years so if they don't move to AM4+ that extra overhead might be able to handle a bigger more powerful chip down the line.

3peat
May 6, 2010

Palladium posted:

No consensus, but I'd check out the Asrock AB350m pro4

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Combat Pretzel posted:

That's still a fork they'd have to maintain separately.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Munkeymon posted:

That's still a fork they'd have to maintain separately.
They have an upcoming XBox One client that's based on something called Project Westminster, which is apparently something about hosted web apps. Whatever that means. Probably close to what I'm bitching about. If I'm right, that'd be more or less a single branch for two major targets (at least for the backend code, not sure how the XBox UI looks like).

Also, there's generally this thing about common code.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Chromium (really Blink) embedding APIs are much richer than those for Edge, which are basically enough for a help viewer and not an application. There's a reason nobody has done the work to rehost Electron on top of Edge, and it's not because nobody has whined about using 0.2% of the disk.

I expect that the Westminster-hosted app will be totally new code, and much less capable. (Like all WinRT ports of popular applications.)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The WinRT apps being less capable is partly fault of the developers, though. Sure, some of the sandboxing restrictions are a pain in the rear end, but that's on the storage and IPC side mostly. There's no reason to not to be able to create a rich functional app. WPF XAML apps had no issues emulating the Win32 UI controls and their complexity.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

WinRT apps based on HTML/JS have much reduced capability compared to non-RT apps based on Blink. Just as with web-tech apps trying to build on top of Edge.

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!
AMD/Newegg are bundling Quake Champions with R5/R7 CPUs now/soon.

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113428

amdrewards.com posted:

Campaign Period: Campaign Period begins August 22, 2017 and ends on February 15, 2018 or when supply of
Key Codes is exhausted, whichever occurs first.

Eyochigan fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 23, 2017

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Anyone have a good overview of socket/mobo compatibility for the past years of AMD CPUs? Preferably in one-ish page.

schmagekie
Dec 2, 2003

ufarn posted:

Anyone have a good overview of socket/mobo compatibility for the past years of AMD CPUs? Preferably in one-ish page.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_AMD_processors

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
From AMD's HotChips presentation:

Looks like EPYC could, in theory, scale beyond four dies.

https://www.servethehome.com/amd-epyc-infinity-fabric-update-mcm-cost-savings/

Penalty for reaching across to another die's cache or memory controller is purely due to latency, not bandwidth, right?

quote:

AMD claims that it costs 59% as much as it would to manufacture a MCM 32 core package versus a monolithic die. This includes the approximately 10% area overhead for MCM related components.

And this is why we anticipate MCM GPUs.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 23, 2017

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I'd like to say its as much the density afforded by 14nm and smaller going forward that allows for all this fancy MCM stuff, especially for GPUs because at 28nm, even if scaling efficient, fuuuuckk that package size.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Speaking of package size, GamersNexus did an A/B test of coldplate sizes on Threadripper: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v5B79vdiXU

Unsurprisingly, full coverage matters a lot.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Seamonster posted:

I'd like to say its as much the density afforded by 14nm and smaller going forward that allows for all this fancy MCM stuff, especially for GPUs because at 28nm, even if scaling efficient, fuuuuckk that package size.

It's also so you can make designs that would be completely unfeasible without MCM. An Epyc with a 16 core Ryzen refresh as the individual die would probably end up pushing the boundaries of the reticle size on modern commercial equipment, same as how the Fury cards were bumping right against the total possible die size restriction on the old 28nm process.

I picture a graphics card that consists of 2 or 4 cores that talk to a single stack of HBM 2 a piece, so you can spread the thermal load out across a larger area and use substantially cheaper masks, with a much higher yield, because you're making 4 parts that are 160mm^2 vs. one part that's 550mm^2.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
Do you folks think it's fair to say AMD is the primary innovator in chip design, and Intel's the innovator in fab process design? Looking at 21st century CPU improvements, it seems like (correct me if I'm wrong) AMD was first to market for most of the major innovations: x86-64, multi-core, on-die GPU (Intel HD graphics came with Westmere, but AMD bought ATI in '06 and talked at the time of doing integrated graphics), integrating the northbridge, and now MCM to squeeze more performance while chips butt up against Moore's Law.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Mofabio posted:

Do you folks think it's fair to say AMD is the primary innovator in chip design, and Intel's the innovator in fab process design? Looking at 21st century CPU improvements, it seems like (correct me if I'm wrong) AMD was first to market for most of the major innovations: x86-64, multi-core, on-die GPU (Intel HD graphics came with Westmere, but AMD bought ATI in '06 and talked at the time of doing integrated graphics), integrating the northbridge, and now MCM to squeeze more performance while chips butt up against Moore's Law.

AMD is forced to go the cheapass route since they have no money which occasionally makes them invest in new tech to save bux

And then they piss it away on canards like HBM

inkwell
Dec 9, 2005

Mofabio posted:

Thing is, Intel has had their fair share of firsts, but they are very tight fisted about introducing them to the consumer market. For some reason they let themselves get blind sided when AMD puts out products that are clearly ahead of Intel's own in some way. AMD tends to be less tight with that because they are playing a perennial game of catch up, either in tech or market share. At least thats my take on things.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Intel is innovative in discovering ways to prevent competition.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
They're also screwing up their rollouts in new and innovative ways as well.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
JD.com and Tencent are onboard with EPYC, and AMD has Sugon and Lenovo now for additional OEMs. That's loving huge http://ir.amd.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=74093&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2295144

These guys are absolutely massive and even if the ratio of AMD/Intel they buy is 1:9 that's huge for AMD.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

FaustianQ posted:

JD.com and Tencent are onboard with EPYC, and AMD has Sugon and Lenovo now for additional OEMs. That's loving huge http://ir.amd.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=74093&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2295144

These guys are absolutely massive and even if the ratio of AMD/Intel they buy is 1:9 that's huge for AMD.

Pretty much, 10% of Intel's server and compute gross revenues is a fuckhuge quantity of money for AMD.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Mofabio posted:

pretty much none of that was done by AMD first, although AMD did introduce some of those things to the consumer space. and a lot of AMDs history is straight up reverse engineering stuff, license producing stuff, and copying stuff. its also worth noting that most of the gains in computing can be traced back to process improvements.

i would warn against building up AMD as some sort of hero in this dynamic. intel may be loving awful with its business practices and make most of the money, but these are both thieving, sheisty, backhanded shitassed tech corporations that would grind your family to powder and snort it if they thought it would give them a .01% stock price bump. no heros here, just capitalism.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
I realllllly hope EPYC, Threadripper, and ryzen allows AMD to be somewhat profitable, and reinvest that money into people and their gpu side, because MCM gpus is needed.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Cygni posted:

pretty much none of that was done by AMD first, although AMD did introduce some of those things to the consumer space. and a lot of AMDs history is straight up reverse engineering stuff, license producing stuff, and copying stuff. its also worth noting that most of the gains in computing can be traced back to process improvements.

i would warn against building up AMD as some sort of hero in this dynamic. intel may be loving awful with its business practices and make most of the money, but these are both thieving, sheisty, backhanded shitassed tech corporations that would grind your family to powder and snort it if they thought it would give them a .01% stock price bump. no heros here, just capitalism.

We absolutely have AMD to thank for x86-64, what are you talking about. You'd be living in an Itanium World otherwise. But yeah, AMD shouldn't be built into a paragon of virtue. Although Intel is definitely the far greater of "evils".

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Krailor posted:

You could save a little money by getting the EVO instead of the pro. You'll never notice the difference between the two unless you run SSD benchmarks for a living.

You could also buy sm961 series.. 512GB MLC is 225€ in Germany: https://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/512GB-Samsung-SM961-M-2-2280-PCIe-3-0-x4-32Gb-s-3D-NAND-MLC-Toggle--MZV_1114534.html

While 512GB MLC 960 pro is 295€: https://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/512GB-Samsung-960-Pro-M-2-2280-NVMe-PCIe-3-0-x4-32Gb-s-3D-NAND-MLC-Togg_1124051.html

Saves you 70€.. I think other sizes have similar price differences.

Not amd cpu related but I can't figure out why to buy Evo or pro series when sm961's are so cheap.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Well I am posting this from my new rig :) It seems to run ok. Still installing everything. And it has the 960 Pro. Finicky stuff, such a small little SSD.

Any benchmarks you want me to run?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

SourKraut posted:

We absolutely have AMD to thank for x86-64, what are you talking about. You'd be living in an Itanium World otherwise. But yeah, AMD shouldn't be built into a paragon of virtue. Although Intel is definitely the far greater of "evils".

Itanium had some cool features. Maybe if it'd taken over we'd have the sufficiently smart compiler it needed to realize its potential. More likely ARM would have buried it, heh.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
At the time (early 2000s) Itanium looked like the platform that will free us from the clutches of x86, with all its hacks and band-aids upon hacks and band-aids that it received over its long history. Alas, it wasnt meant to be.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Volguus posted:

At the time (early 2000s) Itanium looked like the platform that will free us from the clutches of x86, with all its hacks and band-aids upon hacks and band-aids that it received over its long history. Alas, it wasnt meant to be.
It probably would have required even more hacks considering it was largely an excuse to lock in vendors.

Turns out people should have switched over to ARM a long time ago, but hindsight.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Munkeymon posted:

Itanium had some cool features. Maybe if it'd taken over we'd have the sufficiently smart compiler it needed to realize its potential. More likely ARM would have buried it, heh.
A lack of Itanium isn't something that has been keeping compiler development back at all though. Realistically any compiler that could make EPIC work well would've made any VLIW architecture work well too. Or at least better anyways. Imagine something like AMD's old Terascale GPU arch. but actually competent at general purpose work loads, THAT would've been impressive.

The reality is the magic compilers that were needed to really get the performance Intel was predicting out of EPIC for general purpose work loads are still a pipe dream and all talk by Intel of them being "on the way" or "just a few years out" was straight up lies. And Intel's response of "performance doesn't really matter anymore" to that issue, after several years of saying it'd all work out ~somehow~, was incredibly jaw dropping both from a practical standpoint of "we need more performance guys WTF" and from a marketing one given Intel's own comments about how badass EPIC was going to be.

AMD isn't some virtuous company at all (see their recent handling of Vega's launch/pricing) but Intel's been such incredible, and thorough, assholes for so many years on so many different things that AMD comes off looking like saints in comparison.

SourKraut posted:

I think AMD deserves some credit for getting the SIMD FP ball rolling in x86-land too. They didn't invent SIMD of course. But if they hadn't tried to improve the K6's FP performance by going the 3DNow route who knows when Intel would've bothered with something like SSE in their consumer grade chips. Imagine being stuck with only x87 today. Or at least for most of the 2010's.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 25, 2017

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Well, I took the plunge and bought an all-new Ryzen system. I think I goofed getting the 1600X instead of the bare 1600, but I'm hoping to step up to whatever the top tier of the 2nd gen is as soon as they come out. Are most of the hiccups ironed out by now?

My use case is Adobe stuff, lots of unnecessary Handbrake, and eventually compiling and 3D rendering.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Daily use for a few months. Update your BIOS, and I think everything except some virtualization stuff is sorted. Even that is on the vendor's end, not AMD IIRC.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Yeah daily use has been fine since at least the 1st month. Installation has been boringly smooth on the one I did for my bother.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Volguus posted:

It really didn't. I remember talking to a friend back then and betting ARM would become the next big architecture, even on the desktop, but I never saw the demise of x86, it's just too deeply embedded. It's.. kind of come true. At least ARM is far more successful than Itanium.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

A lack of Itanium isn't something that has been keeping compiler development back at all though.

Yeah, and I was saying the opposite of that and also that ARM would probably have taken over the market before the compilers got good enough to make Itanium competitive with ARM or x86.

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
It's somewhat of an afterthought today but I think POWER would have been a more likely candidate to take over on the desktop and server if x86-64 had never happened/caught on, mainly because it supported 64-bit which ARM didn't until 2011.