Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Monterey Car Week was really quite amazing. It's worth making the pilgrimage at some point, even if you don't go to things like the Quail: https://arstechnica.com/cars/2017/08/monterey-car-week-is-like-comic-con-and-the-oscars-but-with-wheels/

If anyone wants higher-res copies of any of the images, lmk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Spectacular :allears:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ohhh, I have just the thing for you! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ll0KR3qAiQ

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

How do we make an image a post title?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

That is just how I used to drive my v8 Lightweight!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This one is looking pretty saggy and in need of some loving restoration but drat I want it anyway.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

"How is this even legal??"

Because it's classified as a motorcycle, dummy. Any state that doesn't have vehicle inspections will be happy to register your busa-engined frankentrike as long as you have a motorcycle license and wear a helmet.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Aug 25, 2017

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i wonder what kind of G forces that thing can hold on a skid pad

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Considering how strict they are in other respects, the poo poo the UK allows on public roads is pretty amazing.

Tanks, steam powered trucks, Ariel Nomads.

If you stick entirely to the lunatic fringe of motor vehicles the UK is pretty enthusiast friendly.

Don't forget buying a Reliant Robin and driving it on your motorbike license

edit: relevant to the new page even, look at that

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Not sure if I should be appreciative or bummed that my red text was omitted. I'm proud of that loving stroller.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

Because it's classified as a motorcycle, dummy. Any state that doesn't have vehicle inspections will be happy to register your busa-engined frankentrike as long as you have a motorcycle license and wear a helmet.

Illinois doesn't even require the helmet but I'm not sure Illinois even qualifies as a state anymore.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

eyebeem posted:

Not sure if I should be appreciative or bummed that my red text was omitted. I'm proud of that loving stroller.

Tell me about covering up your insecurities with a twelve‐hundred‐dollar stroller.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Platystemon posted:

Tell me about covering up your insecurities with a twelve‐hundred‐dollar stroller.

It works.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Could you hike across the country with it?

How about a few miles on a hiking path through a state park next to a major city?

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Rude Dude With Tude posted:

I don't care

that it only goes 35mph

and is from the 1950s

I want to drive it everywhere because you could.

No deal unless the hord plays "EX-TER-MIN-ATE!"

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
Pretty close to my dream project of a Ducati liter engine in a 7 replica (which I will probably never get around to due to money, skill, time, and the California DMV)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Sagebrush posted:

If you watch it, you'll see it apparently wasn't quite that clear cut, and he's actually the reason his local regulations were amended to allow such a thing.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Trikes are universally bad

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

BraveUlysses posted:

Counter point, reverse trikes are good.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
no those are bad too

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BraveUlysses posted:

cakesmith handyman posted:

Counter point, reverse trikes are good.
Yes. Motorbike front end, car read end is stupid. Car front end and motorbike rear end is cool. Single front wheel but still car-like? Up for debate.

Also, RedDwarfMermaid.gif

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

BraveUlysses posted:

no those are bad too

Including Morgans?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Sagebrush posted:

It's in Canada, and was built a decade ago. As he says in the video, that vehicle and the builder's efforts with the DMV basically created a category for it.
The US has recognized 3-wheelers as bikes for a long time, and due to the efforts of Elio (so they can sell their enclosed 3-wheeler) most US states have a "cycle-car" category that does not require a helmet.

InitialDave posted:

If you watch it, you'll see it apparently wasn't quite that clear cut, and he's actually the reason his local regulations were amended to allow such a thing.

Yeah, that.

And I also really like that trike. Tadpoles are the way to go unless you like falling over when you turn (Reliant Robin, I'm looking at you.) It's a little harder to get the power down with one wheel, but bikes manage it. If it's really a problem, stuff a 335 mm wide tire or something back there.

edit: Elio avoids the problem, and some complexity, by being FWD. fun fact: the prototype used a Geo Metro 1L 3-cylinder drivetrain.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Aug 25, 2017

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

iospace posted:

Including Morgans?
Morgans are awesome and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

I had a dream a while back where I was driving some weird W3-engined Morgan. Mechanical issues aside I'm sure that would have been a hoot in real life.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Saw both of these very cool cars in the world on the same day.

(cw dog rear end)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Darchangel posted:

If it's really a problem, stuff a 335 mm wide tire or something back there.

Doesn't that lead to more stress an flex for the suspension arm to route around the width of the wheel? Not unsolvable with enough weight/material, I'm sure.

Collateral Damage posted:

Their EV3 has these brass art-deco fins which look so good paired with that offset headlight:

I think it's a real shame they didn't figure out how to extend that 1930s robot look to the rounded rear tub area.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

kimbo305 posted:

Doesn't that lead to more stress an flex for the suspension arm to route around the width of the wheel? Not unsolvable with enough weight/material, I'm sure.

Their EV3 has these brass art-deco fins which look so good paired with that offset headlight:

I think it's a real shame they didn't figure out how to extend that 1930s robot look to the rounded rear tub area.

Oh wow, that looks amazing from that angle anyway.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

That's fuckin rad.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I saw an 40s ford truck the other day. Sort of beaten up, had Hobbyist plates (so probably a restomod under the hood), but was still nice to see.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

kimbo305 posted:

I'm sure there's a tradeoff somewhere - weight versus rigidity, etc. Probably would need a two sided swing arm for that wide, or a really serious single-sided.

quote:

That is sweet. Hadn't seen that before. I'd think a rocket/bullet shape to the rear, possibly with stabilizer fins, would do the trick. The guys at Blastolene would know what to do, I bet.

edit: God drat - I want one now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUsE4rkfzkc

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Aug 25, 2017

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Morgans are awesome and I will challenge any man who says otherwise to a rousing bout of fisticuffs.

FTFY

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Weirdly running the plate from that Land Rover through the MOT checker site says it was registered 6th November 2016.

The name though made me laugh

And yes, I would drive that.

Unless it's been moved with the last couple of years there's one in the Gaydon Heritage Centre

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Page 777, y'all are missing a golden opportunity.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

I had a dream a while back where I was driving some weird W3-engined Morgan. Mechanical issues aside I'm sure that would have been a hoot in real life.

That looks like they were finished building it and realized they'd forgotten the motor and just stuck it on the front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Page 777, y'all are missing a golden opportunity.

Woah, poo poo. Where did you find this picture?

I'm 99% certain that this is my old '91 Legacy Turbo. Paint and bodywork mods match (although I didn't put the vortex generators on), looks like the seats / wheel match, Canadian driving team would make sense. I would be chuffed to bits to find out that it was being used this way - this is what I built the drat thing for, after all.

fake edit: nope, Nicola Narini drove a '92 Legacy Turbo. So I'm just going to interpret it as a tribute to mine. Still chuffed. I pinged him on Facebook anyway. :D