Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Beastie posted:

Played Pokken for a few rounds last night, was pretty cool. Can you re-download the demo after your 15 fights are up?

Apparently thats what people are saying, so I guess so

Feenix posted:

Pokken strikes me as something I'd get at the 40 or below range. If it's 60, I'm not sure the allure is there.

The allure is that it's a pretty unique/different but still really good fighting game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

African AIDS cum posted:

Is there going to be a cartridge version of this Sonic game ever?

Buy a microSD card for your switch and download the game on to it.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Sonic Mania takes up less than 200 MB and pressing carts is expensive

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Couldn't tell you, but I think they figured they couldn't make much of a return producing cartridges for a 20 dollar game.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Especially when being on the switch apparently means the $20 game would spike to $30 if they went physical

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It's not like making a more expensive physical version of a Switch game hasn't happened before.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Fear not, you can get physical copies of Troll and I

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Couldn't tell you, but I think they figured they couldn't make much of a return producing cartridges for a 20 dollar game.

Shovel Knight did

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I was surprised and delighted to find out that RBI Baseball 17 will be a physical release.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

African AIDS cum posted:

Shovel Knight did

Where? I only see digital for Shovel Knight.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Where? I only see digital for Shovel Knight.

They had a physical release a year after original release.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Dr Cheeto posted:

They had a physical release a year after original release.

So you mean on the 3DS where it's had a generation of process improvements and tooling they already had because it uses similar molds as the DS which kept production costs down and not on the Switch with all new tooling, all new processes?

:jerkbag:

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

8-bit Miniboss posted:

So you mean on the 3DS where it's had a generation of process improvements and tooling they already had because it uses similar molds as the DS which kept production costs down and not on the Switch with all new tooling, all new processes?

:jerkbag:

So you were wrong and got owned and are using sarcasm in a rude way

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

realtalk they probably could have made a cart of it and charged a premium, but I think if they were ever going to do that they wouldn't have offered a collector's edition thing that expressly didn't have a physical copy. I imagine for small titles physical releases are treated themselves like collector's editions.

That's not to say they couldn't turn around next week and announce a cart version but I don't find it likely and they've not announced any plans to.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

African AIDS cum posted:

So you were wrong and got owned and are using sarcasm in a rude way

About what? I knew it was on 3DS, I was on the Kickstarter. I was referring to the Switch in the Switch thread.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

RZA Encryption posted:

I was surprised and delighted to find out that RBI Baseball 17 will be a physical release.

But won't it suck?

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Pokken is cool. Definite buy.

That mount I linked earlier is a little short for my bed, but still cool.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

It's current baseball on a system I own. I don't care how it compares to The Show, because I cannot play it.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball was the last good baseball game.

There needs to be more arcade style baseball games available.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Bill Barber posted:

What about Super Baseball 2020?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNyOQj02_Mw

That should show up soon I would hope.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

RBI was beloved because it was little fat guys swinging licorice bats, making a realistic looking game with that name is foolish.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Bill Barber posted:

MLB the show is legit an amazing franchise for baseball fans. It's near perfect.

The new Super Mega Baseball is a great arcadey game that is actually available on non-sony systems. Although I don't know if SMB2 is coming out for Switch. Hopefully they will port it.

Old baseball games generally sucked rear end and are propped up due to nostalgia.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

New baseball games suck rear end because the controls are too complicated.

videogame baseball peaked with Triple Play Gold for the Genesis

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Pokken was fun on Wii U, but I'm not buying it again unless my planned main isn't garbage. I got burnt out too quickly by trying to make Machamp work in a game full of zoning.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

How many of the 9000 Pokemon are in pokken

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Norns posted:

How many of the 9000 Pokemon are in pokken

9 and none of them are your favorite.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
stardewhen

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Agreed

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Turtlicious posted:

But I like luchador Pikachu... :smith:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I'll only rebuy Pokken if the visuals are improved. The character models are great but the backgrounds were distractingly bad to me. Would be nice if the game was actually in HD this time too. I think it was sub-720p on Wii U.:lol:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Turtlicious posted:

Empoleon is my favorite and look at that it's one of the Pokemon available in the demo.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Apparently it will be 720p. The Wii U version was some weird 960x720. Digital Foundry says the texture quality and detail is the same, with perhaps a bit of filtering. It should be able to hold a locked 60fps at least
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc6vshN8K3U

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Electric Phantasm posted:

Empoleon is my favorite and look at that it's one of the Pokemon available in the demo.

I never played anything post gen 1 but I think that dude's awesome.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Apparently it will be 720p. The Wii U version was some weird 960x720. Digital Foundry says the texture quality and detail is the same, with perhaps a bit of filtering. It should be able to hold a locked 60fps at least
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc6vshN8K3U

That vid is pretty old so hopefully it's improved further on release.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I forget... Splatoon was a midnight eShop release, right? Is that true for all eShop releases?
Edit: Never mind, got my answer elsewhere. Guess it's "sometimes midnight, sometimes noon."

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 25, 2017

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

Drunk Tomato posted:

MLB the show is legit an amazing franchise for baseball fans. It's near perfect.

The new Super Mega Baseball is a great arcadey game that is actually available on non-sony systems. Although I don't know if SMB2 is coming out for Switch. Hopefully they will port it.

Old baseball games generally sucked rear end and are propped up due to nostalgia.

I agree with this post all-encompassingly, and SMB2 coming to Switch would probably make me happier than a port of any other game (with the possible exception of the new Fire Pro).

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

tap my mountain posted:

Pokken was fun on Wii U, but I'm not buying it again unless my planned main isn't garbage. I got burnt out too quickly by trying to make Machamp work in a game full of zoning.

Good thing a Machamp player made top 4 in the World Championship last weekend (and was in grand finals last year as well).

I don't play Machamp yet (I'll probably try to pick him up as a secondary) but in looking at what Azazel does, Machamp relies on using his good armor from the far-ranged CA and b.X in duel phase, good ways to close in space with his j.X in both phases, his Karate Chop in the air which nullifies projectiles and is very useful to close in, and his very strong shield which lasts a long while. He does have tools to get in on the opponent, but they require some kind of read (which is not unique in Grappler/Heavy character design in FGs).

He very much looks like the embodiment of "struggle to make the reads in neutral, great payoff when close in" in a game with strong zoning options. But he can still close in with proper reads (j.X is really really good for this). Needless to say, if you don't enjoy playing that style or enjoy learning to compete with it, maybe don't play that character?

But if it makes you feel better, he's looking to get some nice buffs from the arcade version. His c.X can now be canceled into a roll, which might make it a nice low profile movement tool to help out duel phase even more.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Ventana posted:

Good thing a Machamp player made top 4 in the World Championship last weekend (and was in grand finals last year as well).

I don't play Machamp yet (I'll probably try to pick him up as a secondary) but in looking at what Azazel does, Machamp relies on using his good armor from the far-ranged CA and b.X in duel phase, good ways to close in space with his j.X in both phases, his Karate Chop in the air which nullifies projectiles and is very useful to close in, and his very strong shield which lasts a long while. He does have tools to get in on the opponent, but they require some kind of read (which is not unique in Grappler/Heavy character design in FGs).

He very much looks like the embodiment of "struggle to make the reads in neutral, great payoff when close in" in a game with strong zoning options. But he can still close in with proper reads (j.X is really really good for this). Needless to say, if you don't enjoy playing that style or enjoy learning to compete with it, maybe don't play that character?

But if it makes you feel better, he's looking to get some nice buffs from the arcade version. His c.X can now be canceled into a roll, which might make it a nice low profile movement tool to help out duel phase even more.

What.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

It's a pet peeve when I see people complain about characters despite them actually being fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Oh he's totally viable, he just requires some very hard work and I'm a complete scrub. I never meant to say he's bad, just difficult.

• Locked thread