Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Yeah in Super they're playing up the "Goku is bad at family" thing a LOT, and there's a lot of jokes and such about how Vegeta and Piccolo are better dads than he is. There's a bit where Goku is baffled that Vegeta wants to be around for his daughter's birth instead of training. I guess they're trying to spotlight Goku's flaws a bit more.

Also Goku doesn't know what kissing is. That's a real thing in the show.

On a more on topic note, I really want Whis to be playable but it's probably unlikely since we don't know what he can actually DO yet. I hope he shows up for a couple of Beerus' moves (if they're doing Super stuff, I think Beerus is a pretty safe bet)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

that Android 17 anti-assist is incredible. Never dreamed of something like that in a 3v3 game, DBFZ is destroying MVC with how creative it gets. Really impressed by how strict they are to the movements and quotes from the show, too.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
/\/\/\ Check out the videos I posted on the first page, it's like that thing comic book adaptations say where "every frame could be a panel from the source material", but actually true.

Whis was playable in Xenoverse if I remember right, and all we had to go on was the Battle of the Gods movie.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 24, 2017

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Firstborn posted:

/\/\/\ Check out the videos I posted on the first page, it's like that thing comic book adaptations say where "every frame could be a panel from the source material", but actually true.

Whis was playable in Xenoverse if I remember right, and all we had to go on was the Battle of the Gods movie.

funny enough I recognize a lot of animations since I played the old Supersonic Warriors game for GBA, which had a surprising amount of callback to certain poses and attacks. Was glad to see how many of Trunks' attacks and mannerisms have been carried over like his slice and dice combo with the energy blast followup, or how Vegeta uses a lot of his knee attack.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

If you wanted a full breakdown of the new character's moves, here ya go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gm_f85J3T0

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
the best deep cut in a dbz game is jump ultimate stars where goku's guard break was him telling a pun like he had to to get king kai to train him

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
At 1:19 in that video, 18 parries a ki blast that goes off into the background, hits a hill and explodes.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I didn't actually realize the Burst in this game is not actually a 'burst', in that you can't use it while getting hit. I guess that's very obvious in retrospect, just hadn't really thought about it until now.

It sounds like the Reflect ability (which IS universal), can also be used as a guard-cancel? Not sure if that's true or not but that's something. It sounds like they are very quick (possibly instant) to get to the ki immunity/reflection window, but also apparently they have full strike invuln later in the move as well? I dunno.

Gonna be interesting to see how fireballs play into things considering how many ways there are around them. Reflection, Homing Dash is invuln after startup, many moves have Ki invuln, Instant Transmission can work against stuff that isn't protected or moving forward.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I didn't actually realize the Burst in this game is not actually a 'burst', in that you can't use it while getting hit. I guess that's very obvious in retrospect, just hadn't really thought about it until now.

It sounds like the Reflect ability (which IS universal), can also be used as a guard-cancel? Not sure if that's true or not but that's something. It sounds like they are very quick (possibly instant) to get to the ki immunity/reflection window, but also apparently they have full strike invuln later in the move as well? I dunno.

Gonna be interesting to see how fireballs play into things considering how many ways there are around them. Reflection, Homing Dash is invuln after startup, many moves have Ki invuln, Instant Transmission can work against stuff that isn't protected or moving forward.

the reflect can be used to pushblock, i dunno anything about guard cancel. Looks like a bad pushblock attempt with it might be punishable too.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

If you wanted a full breakdown of the new character's moves, here ya go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gm_f85J3T0

well I guess that confirms that thing we saw in the reveal trailer where piccolo has 17 in an energy prison is a story mode thing, not an ability

also 16's level 3 is called THE FINAL POWER THAT SHOULD NOT BE USED, im crying

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Firstborn posted:

At 1:19 in that video, 18 parries a ki blast that goes off into the background, hits a hill and explodes.

They've shown this before. Any time someone parries a projectile it explodes in the background.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Countblanc posted:

well I guess that confirms that thing we saw in the reveal trailer where piccolo has 17 in an energy prison is a story mode thing, not an ability

also 16's level 3 is called THE FINAL POWER THAT SHOULD NOT BE USED, im crying

its just him using hellzone grenade while 17 is using air barrier

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

piccolo looks like he's probably really good on point if you have the right assists to go with him.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

also damage looks really low across the board. i hope people bitch to arcsys about the damage

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

anime was right posted:

its just him using hellzone grenade while 17 is using air barrier

oh yeah you're right

NecroMonster posted:

also damage looks really low across the board. i hope people bitch to arcsys about the damage

it does yeah, meter seems real important to do any notable damage but at least you get a ton of it

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Countblanc posted:

it does yeah, meter seems real important to do any notable damage but at least you get a ton of it

max did a 6 meter combo with piccolo that did just shy of 60% damage. damage is real loving low

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
hopefully learning real combos makes damage good

imo you should be able to kill chars off a particularly good setup and with meter...

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

anime was right posted:

hopefully learning real combos makes damage good

imo you should be able to kill chars off a particularly good setup and with meter...

there are some clips floating around of max doing what looks like real combos, and they don't do piss for damage. 50-60% for 5+ meter.

I'm not going to link them from 4chan and i have no clue how to download/upload them somewhere else tho.

They do look loving great at least.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
what looks like a "real combo" right now probably isnt. these are probably people who dont understand arcsys damage scaling and aren't trying to work with that. combos using assists seem to barely happen. they're starting off chains. what if chains scale? why not start off mixup -> assist -> launch and see how many heavies you can get in a combo using landing? i really dont think ppl understand what they're doing rn... but at the same time, the damage also worries me.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Rhymestyle also said in the stream that when you use X-Factor, the life regen continues during some(?) of the level 3 supers, and he claimed that they sometimes only do like 50% because of the life regen so fast?

It's not like you'll get a timer scam anyway. You have like 300 seconds to start and 10 seconds are added whenever a character is downed.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Stuff like damage, scaling, and meter gain are all super likely to get tweaked over time anyway. I wouldn't worry about it.

I remember the early Xrd betas where everyone had no HP and Potemkin Buster did like 60%, that was fun.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i've been kind of assuming that they would use more mvc style damage scaling than the arcsys stuff because it's less an arcsys style game but hell, that could be it

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

NecroMonster posted:

People said the same thing about mvc3, then the game came out and if you couldn't kill in one combo you were a bad character

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

The damage scaling does look pretty harsh to me, and I wouldn't be surprised if certain things scaled very harshly.
You can see some examples of people landing like, 4 hit combos with an EX special and it does 30% life (especially 16 starting from M or H normals).
Then you'll see someone hitting a raw rush into full air combo and it does like, 10%, so those seem scaled like crazy.

Where it's kind of weird is like, you see 18 hit a raw Lv3 and that only does 30%, which seems really low relatively speaking.

Meter gain is also crazy fast but I think that's something that will work out in the long run considering how much you need it for everything. Like EX moves and IT both cost a meter to use. But you can see people eating a super and they build an entire bar for themselves, it's kind of nutty.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Why would we want fast damage? For matches to end quick as gently caress like mvc? I like longer matches where one mistake or some bullshit won't gently caress you. The damage is fine.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

NecroMonster posted:

They nerfed super damage at the end of combos and people are already complaining about round length. They'll handle it hopefully

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

darealkooky posted:

People said the same thing about mvc3, then the game came out and if you couldn't kill in one combo you were a bad character

The halcyon days of the unbeatable chun-li assist

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

RBX posted:

Why would we want fast damage? For matches to end quick as gently caress like mvc? I like longer matches where one mistake or some bullshit won't gently caress you. The damage is fine.

lmao

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Just play another match if you lose

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Damage will be fine once stuff gets optimized, on the players end that is. People complain about it every game.

For example, when SFV was in beta everyone complained damage was too low, damage across the board has been nerfed since then and nowadays one of the biggest complaints is damage is too high. Having optimal combos changes a lot of peoples opinions.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

who holds the rights to one piece games and also i guess yuyuhakusho, hunter x hunter, ruroni kenshin, my hero academia, naruto but only before the time skip, jojos bizarre adventure, fist of the north star, full metal alchemist, berserk, gunnm, and sailor senshi games they need to get arcsys to make them some fighting games too

then arcsys can do the best crossover game ever

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
the answer to all of those is namco bandai

except full metal alchemist, that belongs to square enix since the manga ran in their magazine.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
an fma fighting game would be cool af

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anime was right posted:

an fma fighting game would be cool af
there was one for ps2 but it was a crappy power stone clone and also based on the 2003 anime which means it didn't have the best character in fma, ling yao

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

NecroMonster posted:

naruto but only before the time skip,

but killer B, the best naruto character of all time, is after the time skip

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

darealkooky posted:

but killer B, the best naruto character of all time, is after the time skip

sometimes you have to give up a single good thing in order to avoid an army of bad things

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
what's the good Sailor Moon fighting game

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
On twitter and a few other places, one concern I hear is that all the characters feel homogenous, especially when it comes to combo variety. I'm not too worried since most of the gameplay we're seeing is from Dragon Ball fans and Maximilian who aren't really known for finding new combos. I'll hold my judgement until Desk gets a hand of the closed-beta

One thing that a lot of gameplay videos fail to show is that the ki-blast button is functionally a normal, meaning all moves with it are special cancellable. This vid from the first build has a Frieza combo that I have yet to see anyone replicate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktDfPDL0Px8&t=275s

EDIT: on second viewing, I might be wrong. It looks like Frieza links his beam barrage with the Shockwave instead of cancelling it

theGrooseofLegend fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Aug 25, 2017

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I imagine it'll probably be very samey except for a few noteworthy normals. Things like a really good low that slides or a long range standing heavy that can poke. Characters having unique assists will help that variety, too. There will probably be a few characters that have no business extending combos but can anyway through an unintended otg or something.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Aug 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I figured out what Beerus's assist will be