Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Nintendo?
This poll is closed.
Nintendon't 45 22.73%
Nintendoomed 22 11.11%
Nintendrone 13 6.57%
Nintendovahkiin 55 27.78%
Nintend'oh! 63 31.82%
Total: 198 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Grapplejack posted:

Just release the loving game, you don't have to string your fanbase along for years and years while jerking yourselves off with microtransactions.

When would the perfect time to have released this episode been? 2010? 2013? I feel like any time after that year (and possibly even earlier) the dream people had about "Episode 3" transmuted into some sort of hypothetical all-encompassing "Half-Life 3" single-player extravaganza that just isn't something modern day Valve wants to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The energy sword and multiplayer saves Halo for me

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think both half-life 2 and halo are cool but halo aged better because it's just a better paced game with better shooting

all half-life 2 really has now is its unusual tone and world design

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Halo has to be compared to Goldeneye, and it's a pretty great console shooter. Half Life 2 came out nearly a decade after Doom 1 and everybody involved should be embarrassed.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

http://www.pcgamer.com/final-fantasy-15-director-says-nude-mods-are-up-to-the-moral-sense-of-the-community/

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
They're both profoundly mediocre games (Halo's level design is atrocious, even if it does have some fun guns and some decent encounters early on) but only one of them popularized limited weapon sets, regenerating health, and helped center FPS development around controllers rather than mice.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Cowcaster posted:

me, wise, watching famous youtuber commentary on this event after patiently waiting for them to interpret it for me:

please dont post my latest harlequin romance submission

ip do not steal

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
personally i think discussing games based on judging them for what design trends they inspired rather than how they actually play as games is insanely tedious and stupid

but if you just don't like playing hl2 or halo then whatever i can't really stand replaying hl2 anymore

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

promto's dick dlc

Viewtiful Jew posted:

When would the perfect time to have released this episode been? 2010? 2013? I feel like any time after that year (and possibly even earlier) the dream people had about "Episode 3" transmuted into some sort of hypothetical all-encompassing "Half-Life 3" single-player extravaganza that just isn't something modern day Valve wants to do.

Even if it was bad just having the game would have been fine. DNF was totally wretched but at least a game came out and put a period on it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

They're both profoundly mediocre games (Halo's level design is atrocious, even if it does have some fun guns and some decent encounters early on) but only one of them popularized limited weapon sets, regenerating health, and helped center FPS development around controllers rather than mice.

Half Life 2 was one of the first FPS games I played where the story was told to you without going to a cutscene at any point. There were a few times where you're strapped into something but the game never cuts away to a cutscene and that was pretty cool. It helped make you feel connected to the world in a way Halo didn't.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I can see people liking Halo multi I guess but the campaign was garbage even at the time.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Half Life 2 was one of the first FPS games I played where the story was told to you without going to a cutscene at any point. There were a few times where you're strapped into something but the game never cuts away to a cutscene and that was pretty cool. It helped make you feel connected to the world in a way Halo didn't.

It's bad because I can't skip the cutscenes

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Sakurazuka posted:

I can see people liking Halo multi I guess but the campaign was garbage even at the time.

mechanically, as an fps, it was a much more satisfying game than half-life 2. i don't care for the two weapon limit but the guns, just feel better than anything in half-life 2. the level design was a bit crap but halo 2 fixes that anyway, so

i had a lot of fun as a kid playing co-op on the first two halos

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I'm also scoffing on behalf of genuinely terrible early 2000s games.

Like Sanity: Aiken's Artifact, whose main claim to fame is that the main character is voiced by Ice-T.

Or Earth 2160, which might be the single derpiest RTS I've ever played.

Or even high-profile disappointments that are "bad" relative to a stellar baseline, like Deus Ex: Invisible War.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Around the August 2012 part in this video I'm guessing is the first time Gabe himself went along with the whole "The Episodic Experiment is dead, we'll just refer to the future as a nebulous Half-Life 3 from now on." thing. From that point on things get more ephemeral from there. It's no longer Episode 3, it's "The Most Anticipated Game of All Time Half-Life 3".

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Macaluso posted:

Being stuck in a room while everyone talked to Gordon like a child was pretty poo poo even at the time.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
a 2 weapon limit is good ..... in nuclear throne

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

you'd have to be a pretty petty rear end in a top hat to claim half life 2 did more damage to first person shooters than halo

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Or even high-profile disappointments that are "bad" relative to a stellar baseline, like Deus Ex: Invisible War.

i'm sorry but you're implying here that invisible war isn't aggravating to play

i don't get people acting like it's just bad relative to the first game, the entire back half of that game sucks, and i enjoyed it for a bit!!

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

half life 2 did more damage to first person shooters than halo

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Poops Mcgoots posted:

half life 2 did more damage to first person shooters than halo

oh no you did that thing i said

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Like no joke I am quite confident that the early 2000s, as people were just barely figuring out how 3D graphics should work, produced the worst-feeling games in human history. I'm not sure exactly which one deserves the #1 Hall of Shame award but there are just so many basic mistakes in core gameplay that were everywhere then and have never really been common before or since.

Ironically it's also the reason 1998-2004 is when a lot of the best games ever made were released, because every once in a blue moon you got something with a little more playtesting (but not too much!) and got a Tribes or a Brood War or whatever where the jankiness enhanced the game rather than sinking it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Look I think we can all agree that Wolfenstein: The New Order revitalized first person shooters so both Halo and Half Life 2 are irrelevant now anyway. So let's talk about how great Wolfenstein is

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Like no joke I am quite confident that the early 2000s, as people were just barely figuring out how 3D graphics should work, produced the worst-feeling games in human history. I'm not sure exactly which one deserves the #1 Hall of Shame award but there are just so many basic mistakes in core gameplay that were everywhere then and have never really been common before or since.

yeah i agree

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Ironically it's also the reason 1998-2004 is when a lot of the best games ever made were released, because every once in a blue moon you got something with a little more playtesting (but not too much!) and got a Tribes or a Brood War or whatever where the jankiness enhanced the game rather than sinking it.

Not true at all, there are bad feeling games made from time immemorial to today. Graphical fidelity means nothing.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

excuse me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x47hiDZ7hl4

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

In Training posted:

Not true at all, there are bad feeling games made from time immemorial to today. Graphical fidelity means nothing.

it's true, yooka-laylee wasn't even released a year ago

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

let's get right down to the thoughts that are on everyone's mind: tomba 2 was dogshit compared to tomba 1

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Like you can point to a million crappy PS1 euro platformers but Mario 64 existed. That alone proves everyone else's failure. The platforming in Half Life 1 is better than most actual platfrmers that would come later but that means nothing.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

In Training posted:

It's less to do with graphical fidelity and more to do with collision detection, non-standardized control schemes, and gimmickry at the expense of gameplay. You have all these tools and nobody with the slightest idea how to use them responsibly.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Macaluso posted:

So let's talk about how great Wolfenstein is

mond mond

ja ja

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Macaluso posted:

Look I think we can all agree that Wolfenstein: The New Order revitalized first person shooters so both Halo and Half Life 2 are irrelevant now anyway. So let's talk about how great Wolfenstein is

I'll agree with that

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

let's get right down to the thoughts that are on everyone's mind: tomba 2 was dogshit compared to tomba 1

Ive never played 2 but ive seen footage of it and I can agree with this. I've played 1 and its a fun game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wolfenstein The New Order is almost as bad as DOOM (2016). Its just another Half Life 2.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

In Training posted:

Like you can point to a million crappy PS1 euro platformers but Mario 64 existed. That alone proves everyone else's failure. The platforming in Half Life 1 is better than most actual platfrmers that would come later but that means nothing.

wait what the platforming in half life 1 is the absolute worst part of that game. the whole deal about it is everyone's gotta slap a big disclaimer on it saying "oh yeah, the last 10% of the game turns into dogshit because of the platforming"

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
lets talk about mega man legends 2

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

wait what the platforming in half life 1 is the absolute worst part of that game. the whole deal about it is everyone's gotta slap a big disclaimer on it saying "oh yeah, the last 10% of the game turns into dogshit because of the platforming"

That was my favorite part of the game lol

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

In Training posted:

That was my favorite part of the game lol

have you considered like first person shooters aren't your favorite games

like aren't you the guy whose favorite thing about the original doom is you can run by everyone without shooting them and slam the button at the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You can loving fly in those low g sections. Feels amazing after crawling through air ducts and fearing for your life every second for 8 hours and suddenyl you can jump the length of football fields and unload holy hell on alien scumbags

• Locked thread