Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

corn in the bible posted:

Gold Edition is often on sale and includes most of the dlc (not Morrowind or the dungeons... but the dungeons suck so whatever). Not sure if it's on sale right now though?

It is: for 30 bucks...which is 3 times more than the tentative purchase I'm merely thinking about :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Morter posted:

It is: for 30 bucks...which is 3 times more than the tentative purchase I'm merely thinking about :ohdear:

Well to hell with that then

Orv
May 4, 2011
The basic edition is like eighty hours of content if you do all of the original quests and stuff, and while some of the DLC is really neat, a lot of it is incredibly shoddy, like the Dark Brotherhood stuff giving you an instakill sneak attack but then having to rely on stealth AI even shittier than Skyrim's. If you really want more content, it'd probably behoove you to see how much you like the base content and then wiki up the expansions and see which ones you want, if any.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Cool, thanks for all the helpful responses! :buddy:

Edit: Do people sincerely have fun doing this?

Morter fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 25, 2017

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
In order to give back,

MF4X7-KCIIZ-Q9WKM

For those that like levelling cities by yelling at them.

Puzzles!
HNNBM-0XPAK-XIIVW
G4R5T-NXGX3-FBBB8

Steamworld Dig, already have on my Wii.
H768E-AI3IM-R57W6

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Morter posted:

Cool, thanks for all the helpful responses! :buddy:

Edit: Do people sincerely have fun doing this?

Why in gods name are you wanting to grind to 50 in a game where levels are meaningless.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Rookersh posted:

Why in gods name are you wanting to grind to 50 in a game where levels are meaningless.

Because at level 50 the champion point system kicks in on a new character, so depending on what you intend to do with the character being level 50 is actually necessary.

All of the things that require champion points are MMO/multiplayer focused however, so ignore that bit of insanity for your purposes, Morter.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

:eyepop:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

:tipshat:

You're welcome for lurking me from the Trump thread

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

:tipshat:

You're welcome for lurking me from the Trump thread

i did too, sorry.:saddowns: it's just that good of an image

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
Mark Laidlaw, head writer for HL1+2+Episodes, put up his version of HL2 Episode 3's ending with the names changed, as a letter from Gordon Freeman, but obviously intact structurally. http://www.marclaidlaw.com/epistle-3/ , or http://archive.is/8aDmx, or heres a paste with the names fixed :

quote:

Epistle 3
08-25-2017 2:05 AM

Dearest Player,

I hope this letter finds you well. I can hear your complaint already, “Gordon Freeman, we have not heard from you in ages!” Well, if you care to hear excuses, I have plenty, the greatest of them being I’ve been in other dimensions and whatnot, unable to reach you by the usual means. This was the case until eighteen months ago, when I experienced a critical change in my circumstances, and was redeposited on these shores. In the time since, I have been able to think occasionally about how best to describe the intervening years, my years of silence. I do first apologize for the wait, and that done, hasten to finally explain (albeit briefly, quickly, and in very little detail) events following those described in my previous game (referred to herewith as Episode 2).

To begin with, as you may recall from the closing paragraphs of my previous missive, the death of Eli Vance shook us all. The Resistance team was traumatized, unable to be sure how much of our plan might be compromised, and whether it made any sense to go on at all as we had intended. And yet, once Eli had been buried, we found the strength and courage to regroup. It was the strong belief of his brave daughter, the feisty Alyx Vance, that we should continue on as her father had wished. We had the Antarctic coordinates, transmitted by Eli's long-time assistant, Dr. Judith Mossman, which we believed to mark the location of the lost luxury liner Borealis. Eli had felt strongly that the Borealis should be destroyed rather than allow it to fall into the hands of the Combine. Others on our team disagreed, believing that the Borealis might hold the secret to the revolution’s success. Either way, the arguments were moot until we found the vessel. Therefore, immediately after the service for Dr. Vance, Alyx and I boarded a seaplane and set off for the Antarctic; a much larger support team, mainly militia, was to follow by separate transport.

It is still unclear to me exactly what brought down our little aircraft. The following hours spent traversing the frigid waste in a blizzard are also a jumbled blur, ill-remembered and poorly defined. The next thing I clearly recall is our final approach to the coordinates Dr. Mossman has provided, and where we expected to find the Borealis. What we found instead was a complex fortified installation, showing all the hallmarks of sinister Combine technology. It surrounded a large open field of ice. Of the Borealis itself there was no sign…or not at first. But as we stealthily infiltrated the Combine installation, we noticed a recurent, strangely coherent auroral effect–as of a vast hologram fading in and out of view. This bizarre phenomenon initially seemed an effect caused by an immense Combine lensing system, Alyx and I soon realized that what we were actually seeing was the luxury liner Borealis itself, phasing in and out of existence at the focus of the Combine devices. The aliens had erected their compound to study and seize the ship whenever it materialized. What Dr. Mossman had provided were not coordinates for where the sub was located, but instead for where it was predicted to arrive. The liner was oscillating in and out of our reality, its pulses were gradually steadying, but there was no guarantee it would settle into place for long–or at all. We determined that we must put ourselves into position to board it at the instant it became completely physical.

At this point we were briefly detained–not captured by the Combine, as we feared at first, but by minions of our former nemesis, the conniving and duplicitous Wallace Breen. Dr. Breen was not as we had last seen him–which is to say, he was not dead. At some point, the Combine had saved out an earlier version of his consciousness, and upon his physical demise, they had imprinted the back-up personality into a biological blank resembling an enormous grub. The Breen-grub, despite occupying a position of relative power in the Combine hierarchy, seemed nervous and frightened of me in particular. Wallace did not know how his previous incarnation, the original Dr. Breen, had died. He knew only that I was responsible. Therefore the grub treated us with great caution. Still, he soon confessed (never able to keep quiet for long) that he was herself a prisoner of the Combine. He took no pleasure from her current grotesque existence, and pleaded with us to end his life. Alyx believed that a quick death was more than Wallace Breen deserved, but for my part, I felt a modicum of pity and compassion. Out of Alyx's sight, I might have done something to hasten the grub’s demise before we proceeded.

Not far from where we had been detained by Dr. Breen, we found Judith Mossman being held in a Combine interrogation cell. Things were tense between Judith and Alyx, as might be imagined. Alyx blamed Judith for her father’s death…news of which, Judith was devastated to hear for the first time. Judith tried to convince Alyx that she had been a double agent serving the resistance all along, doing only what Eli had asked of her, even though she knew it meant he risked being seen by her peers–by all of us–as a traitor. I was convinced; Alyx less so. But from a pragmatic point of view, we depended on Dr. Mossman; for along with the Borealis coordinates, she possessed resonance keys which would be necessary to bring the liner fully into our plane of existence.

We skirmished with Combine soldiers protecting a Combine research post, then Dr. Mossman attuned the Borealis to precisely the frequencies needed to bring it into (brief) coherence. In the short time available to us, we scrambled aboard the ship, with an unknown number of Combine agents close behind. The ship cohered for only a short time, and then its oscillations resume. It was too late for our own military support, which arrived and joined the Combine forces in battle just as we rebounded between universes, once again unmoored.

What happened next is even harder to explain. Alyx Vance, Dr. Mossman and myself sought control of the ship–its power source, its control room, its navigation center. The liner’s history proved nonlinear. Years before, during the Combine invasion, various members of an earlier science team, working in the hull of a dry-docked liner situated at the Aperture Science Enrichment Center in Lake Michigan, had assembled what they called the Bootstrap Device. If it worked as intended, it would emit a field large enough to surround the ship. This field would then itself travel instantaneously to any chosen destination without having to cover the intervening space. There was no need for entry or exit portals, or any other devices; it was entirely self-contained. Unfortunately, the device had never been tested. As the Combine pushed Earth into the Seven Hour War, the aliens seized control of our most important research facilities. The staff of the Borealis , with no other wish than to keep the ship out of Combine hands, acted in desperation. The switched on the field and flung the Borealis toward the most distant destination they could target: Antarctica. What they did not realize was that the Bootstrap Device travelled in time as well as space. Nor was it limited to one time or one location. The Borealis, and the moment of its activation, were stretched across space and time, between the nearly forgotten Lake Huron of the Seven Hour War and the present day Antarctic; it was pulled taut as an elastic band, vibrating, except where at certain points along its length one could find still points, like the harmonic spots along a vibrating guitar string. One of these harmonics was where we boarded, but the string ran forward and back, in both time and space, and we were soon pulled in every direction ourselves.

Time grew confused. Looking from the bridge, we could see the drydocks of Aperture Science at the moment of teleportation, just as the Combine forces closed in from land, sea and air. At the same time, we could see the Antarctic wastelands, where our friends were fighting to make their way to the protean Borealis; and in addition, glimpses of other worlds, somewhere in the future perhaps, or even in the past. Alyx grew convinced we were seeing one of the Combine’s central staging areas for invading other worlds–such as our own. We meanwhile fought a running battle throughout the ship, pursued by Combine forces. We struggled to understand our stiuation, and to agree on our course of action. Could we alter the course of the Borealis? Should we run it aground in the Antarctic, giving our peers the chance to study it? Should we destroy it with all hands aboard, our own included? It was impossible to hold a coherent thought, given the baffling and paradoxical timeloops, which passed through the ship like bubbles. I felt I was going mad, that we all were, confronting myriad versions of ourselves, in that ship that was half ghost-ship, half nightmare funhouse.

What it came down to, at last, was a choice. Judith Mossman argued, reasonably, that we should save the Borealis and deliver it to the Resistance, that our intelligent peers might study and harness its power. But Alyx reminded me she had sworn she would honor her father’s demand that we destroy the ship. She hatched a plan to set the Borealis to self-destruct, while riding it into the heart of the Combine’s invasion nexus. Judith and Alyx argued. Judith overpowered Alyx and brought the Borealis area, preparing to shut off the Bootstrap Device and settle the ship on the ice. Then I heard a shot, and Judith fell. Alyx had decided for all of us, or her weapon had. With Dr. Mossman dead, we were committed to the suicide plunge. Grimly, Alyx and I armed the Borealis, creating a time-travelling missile, and steered it for the heart of the Combine’s command center.

At this point, as you will no doubt be unsurprised to hear, a Certain Sinister Figure appeared, in the form of that sneering trickster, the G-Man. For once he appeared not to me, but to Alyx Vance. Alyx had not seen the cryptical schoolmarm (no male equivalent) since childhood, but she recognized him instantly. “Come along with me now, we’ve places to do and things to be,” said the G-Man, and Alyx acquiesced. She followed the strange grey man out of the Borealis, out of our reality. For me, there was no convenient door held open; only a snicker and a sideways glance. I was left alone, riding the weaponized luxury liner into the heart of a Combine world. An immense light blazed. I caught a cosmic view of a brilliantly glittering Dyson sphere. The vastness of the Combine’s power, the futility of our struggle, blossomed briefly in my awareness. I saw everything. Mainly I saw how the Borealis, our most powerful weapon, would register as less than a fizzling matchhead as it blew itself apart. And what remained of me would be even less than that.

Just then, as you have surely already foreseen, the Vortigaunts parted their own checkered curtains of reality, reached in as they have on prior occasions, plucked me out, and set me aside. I barely got to see the fireworks begin.

And here we are. I spoke of my return to this shore. It has been a circuitous path to lands I once knew, and surprising to see how much the terrain has changed. Enough time has passed that few remember me, or what I was saying when last I spoke, or what precisely we hoped to accomplish. At this point, the resistance will have failed or succeeded, no thanks to me. Old friends have been silenced, or fallen by the wayside. I no longer know or recognize most members of the research team, though I believe the spirit of rebellion still persists. I expect you know better than I the appropriate course of action, and I leave you to it. Except no further correspondence from me regarding these matters; this is my final epistle.

Yours in infinite finality,

Gordon Freeman, Ph.D.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That is a good quote.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Everyone knows Gordon can't write.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

lovely Wizard posted:

Mark Laidlaw, head writer for HL1+2+Episodes, put up his version of HL2 Episode 3's ending with the names changed, as a letter from Gordon Freeman, but obviously intact structurally. http://www.marclaidlaw.com/epistle-3/ , or http://archive.is/8aDmx, or heres a paste with the names fixed :

this reminds me of the mega64 episode of how shenmue 3 was supposed to go down, so basically i hope that the crowdfunded shenmue 3 also features the villain escaping to the moon, so you go to america to smoke weed with some hippies, which makes you really high, which allows you to reach the moon

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Did he have this planned out years ago? Or did he just recently write this? The fact that Valve never finished that story is really annoying. I know it's played out to wish for HL3, but the argument that no one wants single player shooters anymore is just wrong. Doom and Prey are prime examples of single player shooters that people love. But I guess Valve doesn't make games anymore.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

prey has sold horribly

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Cojawfee posted:

Did he have this planned out years ago? Or did he just recently write this? The fact that Valve never finished that story is really annoying. I know it's played out to wish for HL3, but the argument that no one wants single player shooters anymore is just wrong. Doom and Prey are prime examples of single player shooters that people love. But I guess Valve doesn't make games anymore.
The Ep3 NDA supposedly ran from 2007-2017, so this year is the first year he could legally post it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Cojawfee posted:

There is a place for the single player shooter still but valve has its eyes set on dollar signs many orders of magnitude larger these days.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

But I guess Valve doesn't make games anymore.

valve just announced a new game though!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Steam is a good service but its runaway success early on has stifled competition and made valve extremely boring Gabe Newell is literal Satan

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Awesome! posted:

prey has sold horribly

Probably because no one knew it was even coming out. I had no idea until Giant Bomb posted quicklook of it. Most people I've seen who have played it have enjoyed it. I'd say it did decently well for zero advertising and people either having never heard of it or assuming it was a remaster of the original Prey. Half Life 3 wouldn't have to be some AAA masterpiece. Just finish the story, and make it look decent. Just the fact that it's Half Life 3 would make it sell well by default.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

valve just announced a new game though!

It's probably just a modded Hearthstone to have Dota stuff instead of HOTS.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Quest For Glory II posted:

Everyone knows Gordon can't write.
Gordon can't speak.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

lovely Wizard posted:

Parts of this are cool to imagine as action game set pieces, but in terms of a story, it's sort of a let down.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nonsense, he's carved tons of dirty words into walls with the crowbar.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Megasabin posted:

Parts of this are cool to imagine as action game set pieces, but in terms of a story, it's sort of a let down.
More of a let down than the game being unreleased with no real news almost 10 years past its release date? At least we have this.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Scalding Coffee posted:

Gordon can't speak.
Can't speak, can't write, but he can save our world time and time again.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I haven't cared about the idea of HL3 in over 10 years, we've got hundreds of better games that we can actually play instead of vaporware based on first-person platforming.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

lovely Wizard posted:

The last paragraph is so heartbreaking :(:

Cojawfee posted:

That's kind of a naive argument about why HL is never gonna be made.

Half Life is never gonna be made because it's just not in the corporate structure of Valve any more, or in their interests. The company is explicitly set up in a pseudo-anarchy where devs can literally wheel their desks (like actually, everyone's desks are on wheels) and work on whatever projects they want to. A lot of their recent game development has been done by companies out of house (e.g. Turtle Rock) because nobody in Valve actually has any real interest in doing game dev anymore.

That's why SteamOS is dead, that's why Steam Box is dead, and that's why Half Life's dead.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Awesome! posted:

prey has sold horribly

because of poo poo marketing

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
So if Valve has deemed it worthy to bite Hearthstone (and I guess Gwent, and on a more fundamental level, MTG) with their new DOTA poo poo, are they just going all in on being a trend follower? Are we going to see Team Fortress 3 as a Battlegrounds style elimination survival shooter?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Shima Honnou posted:

I haven't cared about the idea of HL3 in over 10 years, we've got hundreds of better games that we can actually play instead of vaporware based on first-person platforming.

The last episode did kind of end on a cliffhanger, with you-know-who dying. I kind of want a third episode just to see what happens.

I only played the Half-Life series for the first time last year, so I don't mind waiting another ten years.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

the catch of "18 months" being the catalyst and marc laidlaw retiring from valve in january 2016 kind of points to it being a project that was pursued but ultimately discarded, for some reason

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
The really sad thing about that post is that it's clear that there were plenty of people within Valve who were desperate to get the game made. I mean, Laidlaw stuck around for years and years, probably hoping that one day it might actually happen, and it never did. :(

quote:

It has been a circuitous path to lands I once knew, and surprising to see how much the terrain has changed. Enough time has passed that few remember me, or what I was saying when last I spoke, or what precisely we hoped to accomplish. At this point, the resistance will have failed or succeeded, no thanks to me. Old friends have been silenced, or fallen by the wayside. I no longer know or recognize most members of the research team, though I believe the spirit of rebellion still persists.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Awesome! posted:

prey has sold horribly

So? HL3 would sell loving gangbusters, let's be realistic here. It's just that the dev time/profit ratio is absurdly higher for a DOTA 2 compendium or a few CS:GO crates, compared to a fully-fleshed out single player experience.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
This makes me feel sad.

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

ishikabibble posted:

That's why SteamOS is dead, that's why Steam Box is dead, and that's why Half Life's dead.

See also: Mobile App; Voice chat in friends; Streaming via overlay

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

ChickenHeart posted:

This makes me feel sad.

:same:

I have never played the Half Life games, but that paragraph...

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

SteamOS served its purpose though, it was just a hedge against Microsoft locking down the Windows platform. Also it's still getting updates.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I mean, I can understand that if you can crap out a few gun skins for CS:GO and make just as much money as a full game would make, it would be hard to financially justify making that game. It just sucks so hard that they're sitting on one of the most beloved IP's in gaming and doing nothing with it. There are plenty of awesome dev teams out there who could probably do an amazing job with that IP and give us the game we've been waiting for all this time. Especially with the recent resurgence of actually good single player shooters (Doom, Wolfenstein, Prey etc), the appetite is there. I don't know enough about IP law to know if it would be realistic for Valve to farm it out, or come to some sort of arrangement with one of those dev teams, but I really wish they would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

ChickenHeart posted:

This makes me feel sad.

Same.

Outside of compendiums, DOTA is basically cosmetics and implementing Icefrog's specific hero ideas like once a year. TF2 is on maintenance mode despite being one of the most popular steam games around while CSGO is more fortunate but still pretty neglected. And Steam's development can't be taking up too many of the man hours/resources that are required for actual video games so it's not like that's affecting it. Hell, we don't even have any signs of L4D3 which has had some leaks over the last few years.

WHAT THE gently caress IS VALVE EVEN DOING? Valve is literally succeeding DESPITE their self organization kick. Without any need 'publish or perish', they have no need to get things done or to innovate because they have infinite time as long as they can salvage some of their work towards microtransactions or bettering steam.