Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Nintendo?
This poll is closed.
Nintendon't 45 22.73%
Nintendoomed 22 11.11%
Nintendrone 13 6.57%
Nintendovahkiin 55 27.78%
Nintend'oh! 63 31.82%
Total: 198 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

rocksteady made the arkham combat system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

Not true at all, there are bad feeling games made from time immemorial to today. Graphical fidelity means nothing.

Yeah but have you seen the Star Citizen trailers? GREATEST GAME EVER TO BE MADE

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

I can think of like Klonoa and that's it

It doesn't play well but in terms of wobbly squares I think silent hill 1 is my favorite PSX game because of how it works for that setting. The limited render distance, all the walls looking like pulsating vomit, the fixed camera angles that would trick your mind...it's nearly perfect

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tbh i'm sadder about legends 3 than i am about half-life 3 because legends 3 actually has bits of concept work that exist and are really good, like the new character's design was actually really, really good and the sample music track was loving

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLxdaMO-2kI

it's incredibly taunting that all the tiny little bits shown for the game are exactly what i wanted from legends and it got killed before anyone could even see if the game was actually good

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In Training posted:

It doesn't play well but in terms of wobbly squares I think silent hill 1 is my favorite PSX game because of how it works for that setting. The limited render distance, all the walls looking like pulsating vomit, the fixed camera angles that would trick your mind...it's nearly perfect

Oh yeah I mean there's lots of PS1 games I like, especially SH1, but I'd be hard pressed to say any of them played well

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

chumbler posted:

Tron is mysteriously not changed.

good

Real hurthling! posted:

rocksteady made the arkham combat system

I forgot about batman combat.

Well, at least modern capcom won't get their hands on it?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The Colonel posted:

tbh i'm sadder about legends 3
/

:thunk: never would have guessed

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The Colonel posted:

tbh i'm sadder about legends 3 than i am about half-life 3 because legends 3 actually has bits of concept work that exist and are really good, like the new character's design was actually really, really good and the sample music track was loving

heck, it even had a near-complete demo that they planned to put up on the eshop that got tossed with the rest of the project after Inafune bailed

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

The Colonel posted:

not to be mean but you're super into the megaman gba games at the very least so it's pretty obvious you'd be more broken up about a megaman game being canceled than a half life game

e:f;b

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grapplejack posted:

survival games that sell in early access only to be essentially abandoned by the devs> day-z

FTFY

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

Well, at least modern capcom won't get their hands on it?

Yeah let's be real. The options on Legends 3 were Inafune, modern Capcom, or both. Perhaps it is better off just a dream.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

technically you could probably get away with sticking this to minecraft since notch sold the thing for a billion dollars and retired to complain about sjw's on twitter while building a house made of candy or whatever way before the game could be considered complete

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

technically you could probably get away with sticking this to minecraft since notch sold the thing for a billion dollars and retired to complain about sjw's on twitter while building a house made of candy or whatever way before the game could be considered complete

I went back and forth between minecraft and dayz and I decided to go with dayz, given how the big games that fit that mold that came after were based around that artstyle / gameplay style (rust, the forest, the culling, h1z1, ark, pubg)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

chumbler posted:

Yeah let's be real. The options on Legends 3 were Inafune, modern Capcom, or both. Perhaps it is better off just a dream.

Hey maybe because time is a circle eventually the Gunvolt people will eventually make a Legends style game

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cowcaster posted:

Except Minecraft actually went full release.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/221100/DayZ/

DayZ has been in Early Access for 4 years now.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

In Training posted:

Hey maybe because time is a circle eventually the Gunvolt people will eventually make a Legends style game

i'd love an inti legends game if only because based on their early ps1 work it would be a way more fun game mechanically but it'll probably never happen unless they got a whooooooooooole lot of money

speed power gunbike and love & destroy are surprisingly badass action games for the ps1 that are only held back by uh, being on the ps1. i actually want a remake of gunbike to give it better controls

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

For every good thing Half-Life 2 did there was something awful, like driving down the highway forever or terrible not cutscenes.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Unfunny Poster posted:

Except Minecraft actually went full release.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/221100/DayZ/

DayZ has been in Early Access for 4 years now.

i dunno the fact that minecraft was around way before and when it actually when full release compared to that seems to shoot dayz in the foot by a good way

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cowcaster posted:

i dunno the fact that minecraft was around way before and when it actually when full release compared to that seems to shoot dayz in the foot by a good way

Minecraft is actually playable without massive glitches killing your enjoyment of the game, unlike DayZ.

Edit - DayZ still has a 5 year old bug that has you clipping through the bottom of buildings and dying due to collision.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Unfunny Poster posted:

Minecraft is actually playable without massive glitches killing you unlike in DayZ though.

minecraft is also fun, and a game, and it didn't spawn pubg.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Monster Hunter Stories is scratching an itch I didn't know I had and now I am upset because I have finished the demo and have to wait until the 8th for more :smith:

It's so cute! I love the art style and the animations especially. :3:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grapplejack posted:

minecraft is also fun, and a game, and it didn't spawn pubg.

DayZ didnt' spawn PUBG, Arma 2 did :sun:

Also Battle Royale/PUBG is good and fun.

Re: Monster Hunter, I've never played them but saw MHW is coming to PC but that there's also a game called Dauntless. I'm excited for both of those games, but will probably not actually play them due to effort and time.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I'd like to thank this thread for introducing me to two different games this year that I loved and where I basically have to work my rear end off just to come up with minor nitpicks. I don't mind being relentlessly critical and negative as long as the possibility of real improvement exists, and if I focused entirely on broad trends from AAA developers as they compromise on every aspect of the genres I enjoy, I would lose sight of that for sure.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'd like to thank this thread for introducing me to two different games this year that I loved and where I basically have to work my rear end off just to come up with minor nitpicks. I don't mind being relentlessly critical and negative as long as the possibility of real improvement exists, and if I focused entirely on broad trends from AAA developers as they compromise on every aspect of the genres I enjoy, I would lose sight of that for sure.

What were those two games?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Unfunny Poster posted:

What were those two games?

Hollow Knight and Shadow Tactics.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Unfunny Poster posted:

Re: Monster Hunter, I've never played them but saw MHW is coming to PC but that there's also a game called Dauntless. I'm excited for both of those games, but will probably not actually play them due to effort and time.

MHW is the MMO one, right?

Dauntless looks like a cash grab to me, $80 founders packs and people saying it's generally just OK.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah Nier and Yakuza 0 were pretty good.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Unfunny Poster posted:

My friend, have you heard the good word of Toukiden?* Might spoil you for MHW though, since Toukiden is a dramatically streamlined version of Monster Hunter.

*May not run on your PC because KT port.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

A Spider Covets posted:

Dauntless looks like a cash grab to me, $80 founders packs and people saying it's generally just OK.

No World is Capcom finally updating MH to play like a modern game and hoping to god they don't gently caress it up and piss off fans of their one franchise that still makes money

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

A Spider Covets posted:

MHW is the new monster hunter, not an mmo. It's also not shackled to the 3DS.

It's also coming to PC.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Hollow Knight and Shadow Tactics.

I saw Hollow Knight on GOG but haven't gotten it. Shadow Tactics is awesome and I enjoyed it a lot. It's super frustrating too because I am not used to some of it's "older school" stuff anymore.

A Spider Covets posted:

MHW is the online one yeah. Dauntless looks fine, and it's going to be F2P so I'm just going to hold out. I like it's art style, etc.

chumbler posted:

My friend, have you heard the good word of Toukiden?*

*May not run on your PC because KT port.

I heard about that game and heard the port was absolute rear end.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

No World is Capcom finally updating MH to play like a modern game and hoping to god they don't gently caress it up and piss off fans of their one franchise that still makes money

Cool I hope it is good and fun. MH is a great series and Capcom's terror of the west baffles me to this day.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also RIP Laura Kate Dale's twitter account.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Unfunny Poster posted:

MHW is the online one yeah.

It's no more online than the other ones. It's not an MMO. Frontier and Monster Hunter Online are the 2 MMO ones.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Unfunny Poster posted:

I heard about that game and heard the port was absolute rear end.

I had no problems with the ports of either game, while others have had it run like rear end, if at all. It's all up to whether you want to roll the dice, I suppose.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Unfunny Poster posted:

Also RIP Laura Kate Dale's twitter account.

who and why?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

A Spider Covets posted:

Cool I hope it is good and fun. MH is a great series and Capcom's terror of the west baffles me to this day.

I wish, a lot of Capcom's worst decisions involved farming out once popular series to crappy western devs

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh and playing Starcraft Remastered is good and cool and you should all replay the campaign from SC1 & Brood War. Good poo poo.

Made me go out and buy the digital version of the WC3 games and I'm playing those through again, and once again it's all good poo poo.

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

It's no more online than the other ones. It's not an MMO. Frontier and Monster Hunter Online are the 2 MMO ones.

Oh. I don't know much about that series so I just assumed MHW is the online version. All I know is it's supposed to be on PC and that's good.

chumbler posted:

I had no problems with the ports of either game, while others have had it run like rear end, if at all. It's all up to whether you want to roll the dice, I suppose.

Yeah. I heard more "it runs like rear end" than "it runs fine" reports.

Laura Kate Dale is a transgender games journalist/writer who writes for Kotaku UK and is all around a nice person. She made a YouTube video series talking about butts in video games and comparing character butts because why not I guess. Anyway, she's been doing a series of articles about harassment related to video games and online stuff and her most recent article was with TotalBiscuit and more about the nuts & bolts of how to deal with that stuff (shutting off YouTube comments, blocking, having moderators etc.) which is fair since he's one of the more notable/longstanding YouTube people when it comes to games (regardless of if you like him or not). Apparently the article got published on what is the "anniversary of gamergate" and people got made at LKD over the piece talking to Totalbiscuit (who I guess was somehow involved early on in it all) and then started to harass her to the point she just up and quit most of her social media platforms so she'd stop being harassed by them.

Not trying to start a Gamergate discussion or anything. Just saying it's a lovely thing to happen to someone who was doing a good series of articles about harassment, and got harassed as a result. Her non-article stuff was pretty entertaining and fun if you are of the "video games are not meant to be super serious all the time" mentality.

Example - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blkHzT5xbWc Butts in Bloodborne

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Aug 25, 2017

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It will be interesting to see how Monster Hunter handles microtransactions now that it's on a platform where that poo poo sells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Funny detail about monhun: in addition to making tons of money as-is, another reason people think it remains fairly free from meddling is that one of the producers is the son of capcom's CEO.

• Locked thread