Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Crocoswine posted:

one thing that happened with both is that fans projected super-ultra-omega hard onto the characters. People weren't really making fan OCs for the adventure zone like they were with homestuck, but hoo boy they might as well have been given how diversely the characters were being drawn throughout the fandom.

also the weird number of people drawing random characters from both as having vitiligo. Is this a fetish I feel like it's a fetish

It's more a thing with younger, more progressive artists wanting to experiment with physical attributes not typically seen in mainstream media.

A lot of TAZ's fanbase is teenagers/young adults on tumblr. They are young and trying their best to be good people, sometimes to the point of over-zealousness. There's a lot of complexity, but I'd rather not get into it, as it's just going to lead to a hell debate, and I've had enough of those already.

E: But to get to the point, a lot of TAZ fans were at one point or another part of the homestuck fandom.

Mikedawson fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Aug 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is Stolen Century ep 3 (the beach world) set the year after the end of ep 2 (the robot world)? Not sure they mentioned it.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Stolen Century TTAZZ spoilers I'm really glad they explained what happened with the end of the robot world because I really felt like that one was a weird one. They were super set on destroying the gem and then Lup just steps in out of nowhere and makes a huge fuss about it and basically takes the decision away from the PCs. It made the whole scene where she makes them promise never to do that again feel super weird and not land well with me at all because I felt like well they wanted to make that decision and now the only reason they won't do it is to not destroy their relationship with Lup?

Knowing that actually the players DID decide that this was the way the story should go and they wanted an NPC to intervene makes me feel a lot better about that whole scene. I don't mind that they redid it. They aren't just RPing together, they're crafting a story and they're within their rights to decide that actually they made the wrong narrative decision and it needs to be fixed. And it was clearly a big decision, I mean it only happened the once the whole time they were playing.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
It's weird that got retconned and not the clandestine murder they committed in the racing arc. I mean, it's probably one of the funniest things that happened the whole show so I don't mind but still.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
That's cool that they felt so strongly that they'd made a mistake and didn't like what it meant for their characters and that arc that they felt they needed a do-over. You can argue that's not in the spirit of DnD but also at the same time the whole point is to have fun, and they all realised they didn't like that outcome at all. They also feel like they have to consider the audience a lot, which obviously regular games don't. It makes Lup's speech more interesting because that was their own conclusions. I think that's the point where Lup started feeling like a different person than Taako, that was the first kind of disagreement which felt kinda needed to make the characters more distinct. I wonder if the original version had Lup as game as the rest for destroying everything.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

They sure spent 15 minutes at the end telling Twitter to shut up. The internet ruins everything

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Stolen Century ep 4 is RAD

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
pretty disappointing they didnt address governor kalen (which for me really weakened the afterlife part of the ending) in the ttazz but they talked about some retarded angus is a silver dragon theory

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Relin posted:

pretty disappointing they didnt address governor kalen (which for me really weakened the afterlife part of the ending) in the ttazz but they talked about some retarded angus is a silver dragon theory

Why would somebody Magnus doesn't even remember, and who he hated with his entire being when he did, be there to meet him in heaven? That's dumb as hell.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i didn't even remember kalen or care about him, so I'm glad they brought up some goofy-rear end theory i didn't know about a character i liked instead. not that the two preclude each other anyway.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Relin posted:

What needed addressing?

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
Merle and Taako promised to track down and get vengeance on Governor Kalen. It wasn't a point that needed to be wrapped up more than that. I'm as curious about how that played out as I am what Merle got for Magnus on Candlenights two years after the epilogue.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Who What Now posted:

Why would somebody Magnus doesn't even remember, and who he hated with his entire being when he did, be there to meet him in heaven? That's dumb as hell.
what

creationist believer posted:

Merle and Taako promised to track down and get vengeance on Governor Kalen.
ah, must have missed that

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Hockles posted:

I'm not crying, you're crying.

:same:

The Modern Leper posted:

I wonder how much credit the brothers have with Max Fun because of MBMBAM. TAZ and Rose Buddies (not the same scale) are about to enter completely new worlds, and I have to imagine that Rose Buddies, in particular, got signed because they wanted a Bachelor podcast.
There are a lot of Rose Buddies watchers who are there because of Rachel/Griffin, and don't even watch the show. This gets mentioned by many people who in the Facebook group. Max Fun is now making money from the McElroy brand as a whole. I doubt that say, Sawbones (which I love) would be getting as many hits if it weren't a McElroy show.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Relin posted:

what
ah, must have missed that

During the Suffering Game, Magnus had to choose to give up all memories of Julia or all memories of Kalen. He asked Taako and Merle to promise to remember Kalen and kill him, then chose to forget him.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Out of all the sacrifices he made in Wonderland, the hardest one was the only one that stuck.

https://youtu.be/ozzcvMAb7iQ

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Merle and Taako promised to track down and get vengeance on Governor Kalen. It wasn't a point that needed to be wrapped up more than that. I'm as curious about how that played out as I am what Merle got for Magnus on Candlenights two years after the epilogue.

They never promised to track him down, though. He only asked them to kill him then-and-there, no questions asked, if they ever encounter him.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

Ariong posted:

Out of all the sacrifices he made in Wonderland, the hardest one was the only one that stuck.

https://youtu.be/ozzcvMAb7iQ
no, i remember that, he just has poor reading comprehension

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
My personal resolution to Kalen is when Voidfish Jr broadcast the story to the world, everyone in whatever region of the world Kalen was in at that time simultaneously said "wow, gently caress that guy" and threw him into a horde of Hunger monsters

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

My personal resolution to Kalen is when Voidfish Jr broadcast the story to the world, everyone in whatever region of the world Kalen was in at that time simultaneously said "wow, gently caress that guy" and threw him into a horde of Hunger monsters

The Voidfish did not take the memory of Kalan, Wonderland did. It's a memory that's lost forever.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

You guys know there are gonna be more THB live shows, right? They left a big chunk of their lives open-ended on purpose, the Kalen thing could definitely be resolved in one of those.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Well anyway, I think the fact that we never see that come up again during the podcast proper makes the sacrifice more impactful. Magnus' quest for vengeance really did just end. No ironic commeuppance, no tragic failure, just nothing. He found something worth more than revenge anyway.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

SpacePig posted:

The Voidfish did not take the memory of Kalan, Wonderland did. It's a memory that's lost forever.

Wonderland took it from Magnus, but if you interpret "the podcast" as being the Voidfish's broadcast, then Kalen's story was part of it. So the world would know about Kalen, but Magnus wouldn't. I think.

Or Kalen walked into Chesney's/Merlgaritaville one day and got served an arsenic colada :shrug:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

SpacePig posted:

Wonderland only took it from Magnus. The other thb still remembered what he told them.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Ariong posted:

Well anyway, I think the fact that we never see that come up again during the podcast proper makes the sacrifice more impactful. Magnus' quest for vengeance really did just end. No ironic commeuppance, no tragic failure, just nothing. He found something worth more than revenge anyway.

This is all true, but a scene where Magnus watches Taako and Merle wordlessly murder a total stranger and then act like they did him a favor could have been pretty great.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Resolving Kalan wouldn't really even work as a live show hook because, not only does Magnus not know why Taako & Merle want to kill him where he stands, he cannot possibly know. They do not know who or what Governor Kalan is other than a guy Magnus wants dead.

Ariong posted:

This also. Not every story has an ending tied up in a pretty bow, and I think Magnus is a better character for it.

e:

Wonderland took it from Magnus, but if you interpret "the podcast" as being the Voidfish's broadcast, then Kalen's story was part of it. So the world would know about Kalen, but Magnus wouldn't. I think.

Or Kalen walked into Chesney's/Merlgaritaville one day and got served an arsenic colada :shrug:

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Wonderland only took it from Magnus. The other thb still remembered what he told them.

Kalan happened after the initial Voidfish erasure, and the Wonderland liches stopped Magnus from telling the full story to Taako and Merle. Magnus was ostensibly the only survivor of that incident, and he had the memory of it taken from him. Unless neighboring towns have some sort of specific info on it, it's a closed story.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 25, 2017

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Stroop There It Is posted:

You guys know there are gonna be more THB live shows, right? They left a big chunk of their lives open-ended on purpose, the Kalen thing could definitely be resolved in one of those.

Imagine a THB road trip where Magnus is just having a really fun time but is kinda confused as to why this is happening and meanwhile Taako and Merle (and Angus?) are working on tracking down Kalen. The comedic mismatch would be hilarious imo.

It's kinda more fanfic material than live show material, though.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I don't think the Governor Kalan storyline would make for a good live show because it would be a bit heavy.

Also, Governor Kalan - Elliott Kalan ?? :tinfoil:

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Serf posted:

I don't think the Governor Kalan storyline would make for a good live show because it would be a bit heavy.

A live show where the THB a track down and kill Elliott Kalan would make a great live show on the other hand

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Griffin talking about his idea that the announcer at the beginning of every podcast was Junior the whole time and the podcast itself his transmission of the THB's memories was pretty clever, but ultimately I don't think it was executed very well because that theory never once crossed my mind until he said it.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

Mikey Purp posted:

Griffin talking about his idea that the announcer at the beginning of every podcast was Junior the whole time and the podcast itself his transmission of the THB's memories was pretty clever, but ultimately I don't think it was executed very well because that theory never once crossed my mind until he said it.

I like the idea that it was Junior who named this story it was telling "The Adventure Zone", while also making goofy jokes about the heroes' predicaments at various points.

The Awesomesaurus fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 25, 2017

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
They still have live shows with THB in the future, so I'm sure if they feel it needs to be addressed, they'll do it then. Veering off the happy epilogue to go into a revenge plot would have really screwed up the tone of the finale, I think.

It also sounded in TTAZZ like Justin texted Griffin an idea for a live show to have them cross the multiverse on a quest for Lup's $15 which I'm excited for.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mikey Purp posted:

Somebody pointed that out in this very thread, before TTAZZ had come out.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I mean, I'm glad that someone out there got it, but it just never registered for me and I think it would have made for a really cool reveal if it were done a little better. Like maybe Griffin should have inserted the voice into the podcast when the event actually happened.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I thought Justin -- was it? I am still not great at separating the voices -- was very diplomatic when he said he'd tried Homestuck Chapter 1 a couple of times but he'd never gotten into it, but he hung out with people who had contributed to it, and he recognized some similarities. I'm betting, because I'm nerdy and intrusive, that he has hung out with Toby Fox, who is now famous as the creator of Undertale, but before that was on the Homestuck music team.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Serf posted:

I just listened to the second TTAZZ last night (I'm going through the series for the first time) and when Travis is clarifying the spelling of Kalen he appends it with "He IS named after Elliot Kalan, it's just spelled differently."

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I thought Justin -- was it? I am still not great at separating the voices -- was very diplomatic when he said he'd tried Homestuck Chapter 1 a couple of times but he'd never gotten into it, but he hung out with people who had contributed to it, and he recognized some similarities. I'm betting, because I'm nerdy and intrusive, that he has hung out with Toby Fox, who is now famous as the creator of Undertale, but before that was on the Homestuck music team.

That was Griffin. Justin has no loving clue what Homestuck is.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

But he wants to learn, and encouraged everyone to tweet at him about it.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

Justin probably thinks "Homestuck" is when you grab the handle to the front door of your house...and someone's put jelly on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I hope the monster game set in West Virginia that Griffin is making features a jelly covered, nude, hatchet wielding ogre.