Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Our cyberpunk future is pretty lame :v:

Otherwise, is the crew worth 10 bucks? I'm not the biggest racing fan, but I liked the GTA and Driver series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Chikimiki posted:

Otherwise, is the crew worth 10 bucks? I'm not the biggest racing fan, but I liked the GTA and Driver series.

Eh, not as a racing game really. It's novel for the ability to cruise around a super compressed US at hilarious speeds, and it's really pretty and has some really neat driving in that aspect, especially between places like Las Vegas and LA where you can bomb across the Nevada salt flats and then up through a really awesome road through the redwood forests (a fifteen minute drive in-game :v:) and roads in the northern areas.

As a campaign racing game it has almost nothing to recommend, since it suffers a lot from trying to be Car Destiny with power levels on car parts and things like that.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Chikimiki posted:

I'm not a big racing fan either and couldn't get into this for the life of me. Having equipment with stats for your car is so dumb.

At least I got it for free.

You should try Burnout Paradise or Sonic Transformed next time they're on sale for a more casual racing.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

ishikabibble posted:

Half Life is never gonna be made because it's just not in the corporate structure of Valve any more, or in their interests. The company is explicitly set up in a pseudo-anarchy where devs can literally wheel their desks (like actually, everyone's desks are on wheels) and work on whatever projects they want to. A lot of their recent game development has been done by companies out of house (e.g. Turtle Rock) because nobody in Valve actually has any real interest in doing game dev anymore.

That's why SteamOS is dead, that's why Steam Box is dead, and that's why Half Life's dead.

what DO the people at Steam even spend their time developing? Like, as you noted game development isn't really a thing there any more and Steam is largely just in administrative maintenance, which doesn't seem like anything anyone would willingly want to work on.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Occasionally they develop bad additions to the Steam platform that do more harm than good, that's something at least.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Xander77 posted:

The gently caress is everyone on about?

"Hi, I like to grief people in this game.

Ok, you're banned from playing this game with other people".

Bam. Logical and proportional response. What about this confuses you?

If that happened routinely in every game we would never have seen wonderful things like the second life safari.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Malloc Voidstar posted:

The Ep3 NDA supposedly ran from 2007-2017, so this year is the first year he could legally post it.

There's something hilarious about how the ending is "you lose" followed by "the resistance might still be going on, who cares" and nothing getting answered.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

RBA Starblade posted:

There's something hilarious about how the ending is "you lose" followed by "the resistance might still be going on, who cares" and nothing getting answered.

It's pretty obviously a thematic repeat of the HL1 ending.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

DancingShade posted:

If that happened routinely in every game we would never have seen wonderful things like the second life safari.

I imagine second life safari involved a little more than just following someone around and letting other players know where a streamer was at so the streamer would die and lose, being unable to participate in the game anymore and giving the game a bad reputation :v:

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

That's great though, the whole point of HL1 was that it was loosely based on The Myst, and interdimensional horrors man can't understand etc

Hl2 changed tack slightly and gave you an evil empire you could maybe beat, but then HL3 would have ended with one little glimpse at the vastness of the universe and how insignificant your struggle is. That's a way cooler ending than the ROTJ good guys win and the ewoks/vautigaunts throw a party for you thing.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

massive spider posted:

That's a way cooler ending than the ROTJ good guys win and the ewoks/vautigaunts throw a party for you thing.

Would it be as cool if you had to wait a decade for it and play through a whole video game lasting several hours building up to that point and then going "nevermind"

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it's important to remember this would've been half life 2: episode 3. not half life 3.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Xander77 posted:

What about this confuses you?

Nothing, but I demand more griefing content.

Edit: Just realized the I Killed British - Griefing Thread started nearly a decade ago. What an amazing read.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
So Lego Worlds is 8 bucks from Newegg (online code). Game is fun but flawed.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

Would it be as cool if you had to wait a decade for it and play through a whole video game lasting several hours building up to that point and then going "nevermind"

No but that's why you finish your poo poo before the weight of expectation ruins it.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Gordon and Adrian Shephard can hang out in forgotten protagonist jail.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

rip gordon, you never got laid

Orv
May 4, 2011

Chikimiki posted:

Try a little of this cyberpunk future on for size then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7uuz0RW_z8

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Hell yeah, Yakuza 2 remake.

Edit: Ok, I guess this is the McDonald's drive-thru Steam thread. Well then, I'm kinda indifferent about the cancellation of HL3, it's been so long since the last one that ehh.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 25, 2017

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

We had a perfectly good Half Life 3, under the alias Metro Last Light. Looking forward to Half Life 4, actually, HL meets Stalker.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Woah, out of nowhere. Would love to see Secret of Evermore get this treatment.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

you'd probably have to fish out the master copy of the code from whatever landfill all those E.T. cartridges are buried in first

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016
Evermore owned I will fight you.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

betamax hipster posted:

Evermore owned I will fight you.

i comment not on its quality although i think it was legendarily buggy even for an square snes title, but on the fact it sold like 6 or 7 copies

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

FirstAidKite posted:

I imagine second life safari involved a little more than just following someone around and letting other players know where a streamer was at so the streamer would die and lose, being unable to participate in the game anymore and giving the game a bad reputation :v:
The whole thing makes the streaming community even more stupid, which I did not think was possible. Like what did they expect to happen livestreaming a player versus player game?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I look forward to a new generation getting PTSD from Spiky Tiger.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

grrarg posted:

The whole thing makes the streaming community even more stupid, which I did not think was possible. Like what did they expect to happen livestreaming a player versus player game?

I mean, it's not that you don't expect people to be assholes to entertain themselves, is that you hope they won't fixate on you. Plus I don't get it, if you grief and find it hilarious you shouldn't be butthurt when you get hosed too. Turnabout's fair play.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Do you have to provide proof of employment to post on Glassdoor? Or could some nerd post reviews on there under the guise of totally being Gabe's favorite coder?

Also, for people upset about the theoretical ending to HL3: I remember reading a little while back from some valve guys that it was always the intention for Gordon to get picked up and dropped off somewhere else at the end of each Half Life story. He's designed as the most pure blank slate for the player to inhabit, having no purpose other than driving the next shooter valve wants to make (lol)

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 25, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ragequit posted:

Woah, out of nowhere. Would love to see Secret of Evermore get this treatment.

Seiken Densetsu 3 or bust, that's the one I'm nostalgic for!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

heck, even i'm nostalgic for seiken densetsu 3. i netplayed that on the zee snes with friends when i was in high school.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Seriously lmao if you even remotely care about HL3 in 2017.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Not on the Switch? What the gently caress dude

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

So I just noticed that the Crypt of the Necrodancer devs have a page up for their next game Industries of Titan.

From what I gather, they're making their own version of the future Anno games with production lines, customizable battleship combat, and Danny Baranowsky doing the soundtrack again.

https://twitter.com/IndustriesGame/status/900976222032678913

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

speaking of that secret of mana remake the announcement has a big "visit secretofmanagame.com!" but either the website got flooded and went down or it doesn't actually exist yet which is pretty funny

edit nevermind it's up now

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 25, 2017

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

So Elder Scrolls Online has me download 60 GBs from Steam... and what launches after that loving herculean task is an installer, which says I need to download another 87 GBs. I don't even have that much space remaining on my loving SSD, so even though I apparently already have most of the game's data (according to the forums) I can't actually finish the install without buying a loving external HD. Great loving job guys.

I'm so glad Steam isn't doing anything about wildly-out-of-control download and install sizes, especially when the game doesn't actually require nearly that much space and it's 100% dev laziness/stupidity, like 33% of DOOM's install size being uncompressed foreign-language audio that you don't even need because you can select your language ahead of time.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I don't know how The Crew 2 will turn out, but this is neat.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

So Elder Scrolls Online has me download 60 GBs from Steam... and what launches after that loving herculean task is an installer, which says I need to download another 87 GBs. I don't even have that much space remaining on my loving SSD, so even though I apparently already have most of the game's data (according to the forums) I can't actually finish the install without buying a loving external HD. Great loving job guys.

I'm so glad Steam isn't doing anything about wildly-out-of-control download and install sizes, especially when the game doesn't actually require nearly that much space and it's 100% dev laziness/stupidity, like 33% of DOOM's install size being uncompressed foreign-language audio that you don't even need because you can select your language ahead of time.

It's because steam downloads the original release-era files and the patcher and then the patcher downloads the current files and replaces the old ones. When actually installed and up to date teso is about 70gb but steam teso requires a huge amount of space initially because of laziness

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Orv posted:

I don't know how The Crew 2 will turn out, but this is neat.

GTA Online just announced this. Another huge expansion Aug 29th

Orv
May 4, 2011
Apparently that's just in specific race types though? Granted in Crew you are the car, so it's a different kind of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Fun Times! posted:

Not on the Switch? What the gently caress dude

It's being released on Vita so I assume someone from Sony was holding a gun to SE exec's head.