Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Nintendo?
This poll is closed.
Nintendon't 45 22.73%
Nintendoomed 22 11.11%
Nintendrone 13 6.57%
Nintendovahkiin 55 27.78%
Nintend'oh! 63 31.82%
Total: 198 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
um so apparently someone at valve posted the story for half life 3 and also it's never coming out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

The Walrus posted:

um so apparently someone at valve posted the story for half life 3 and also it's never coming out

We know

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
:rip:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
HL3 was never coming out years ago. It's been a long time since that fanbase has been lying to itself.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
my bad went back a page, two was too much to expect from me.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
At least we have Gordon Frohman.

We'll ALWAYS have Gordon Frohman...

:rip: Gordon Frohman

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The Walrus posted:

my bad went back a page, two was too much to expect from me.
Don't worry, now we get to relive it again.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Palpek posted:

Don't worry, now we get to relive it again.

Soon In Training will wake up and declare HL2 the worst game of the 2000s again and next thing you know it'll be five pages later

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Let's talk about the damage Pong has done to games in general. Technically all bad games have come about because of Pong, so.... :smug:

Serf
May 5, 2011

After reading the HL3 plot summary, I'm not sure I'd want that game.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Are there like a contingent of Half-Life cosplayers who still keep the dream alive and such?

Even that troupe of Kingdom Hearts fangirls FirstAidKite once posted here who dressed up as Org XIII members gave up the dream like over half a decade ago when it was clear the fandom wasn't getting any fresh new content anytime soon.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i feel like i keep pointing this out but remember that it would've been half life 2: episode 3. not half life 3.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Half-Life 2 was all right but it wasn't even the best Source Engine game released that year. Maybe not even second-best

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Why do you need to keep pointing that out tho?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Half Life 2 is my favorite game of all time

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Valve's upcoming collectible card game can only be run on next generation hardware. It will have a meticulously designed physics engine that allows you to throw cards into a garbage bin.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

mutata posted:

Why do you need to keep pointing that out tho?

it was supposed to be a short, episodic game that concluded the arc of episode 1 and 2, not a standalone game

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Are there like a contingent of Half-Life cosplayers who still keep the dream alive and such?

Even that troupe of Kingdom Hearts fangirls FirstAidKite once posted here who dressed up as Org XIII members gave up the dream like over half a decade ago when it was clear the fandom wasn't getting any fresh new content anytime soon.

I mean new kingdom hearts stuff comes out every few years even if it's not not THE BIG KINGDOM HEARTS THREE so those guys still make sense

Gordon Freeman hasn't been relevant since before I went to college

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Serf posted:

I would have, had it come out like a year after ep 2.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

In Training posted:

Half Life 2 is my favorite game of all time

half life 2 is garbage, halo was much better imho

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Eagerly waiting for a Half-Life expansion to the Dota card game.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
That last paragraph though. :smith:

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Serf posted:

This can be said of the plot summary of any HL game, to be honest.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

mutata posted:

That last paragraph though. :smith:

someone pointed to this article from 2013 which i had not even heard about until today

https://www.theverge.com/2013/2/13/3985642/great-cleansing-at-valve-software

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
What's Half Life?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

LawfulWaffle posted:

What's Half Life?

The time taken for the radioactivity of a specified isotope to fall to half its original value.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Props to Laidlaw but I can't imagine anyone actually being invested in Half-Life for the story, of all things

If people really want a first-person shooter about a superhuman hero of a resistance movement fighting against a technologically-advanced totalitarian regime, well they're gonna get one this year and they're gonna like it

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Valve is the new Blizzard, only they already played their Overwatch cards. Fire the meat of the staff and make a pachinko machine. I mean card game.

LawfulWaffle posted:

What's Half Life?

Existence divided by two.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I loved the Half-Life story.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Serf posted:

I loved the Half-Life story.

Me too. Play Black Mesa if you haven't already.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Half-Life Is Strange

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

exquisite tea posted:

Dontnod isn't doing the prequel, it's some other studio and they're doing LiS 2 proper.

Yeah I know the prequel is another studio, its why I said its a rushed job by Square.

precision posted:

i'm not either, but i enjoy #1 kissboy jim sterling, i was just poking fun

i replayed Remember Me a few weeks ago and had a lot of fun, it holds up. real underrated gem.

It really is underrated.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Props to Laidlaw but I can't imagine anyone actually being invested in Half-Life for the story, of all things

If people really want a first-person shooter about a superhuman hero of a resistance movement fighting against a technologically-advanced totalitarian regime, well they're gonna get one this year and they're gonna like it

Uhh people didn't play Half Life 2 for the physics puzzles

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

KakerMix posted:

Uhh people didn't play Half Life 2 for the physics puzzles

That seesaw was like whoa man

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

vermin posted:

Valve is the new Blizzard

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Palpek posted:

Eagerly waiting for a Half-Life expansion to the Dota card game.

What if I told you there were Half Life references already in Dota 2?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Cowcaster posted:

i feel like i keep pointing this out but remember that it would've been half life 2: episode 3. not half life 3.

Yeah that's what really annoys me about it though. If it was expanded to Half Life 3 and they had some stumbling block or whatever or felt compelled to innovate because it was a new numbered title, that would be one thing.

But they had a relatively simple story to tell, in the fashion of Eps 1 and 2, and they just couldn't even be loving bothered.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
half-life has a genuinely cool, weird universe and while the general outline of its story is kind of standard, the characters and the finer details of it are really cool and there's nothing really like it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Speaking of card games and playing games for the story, people are saying that Gwent has a 15-hour campaign with moral choices and as much dialogue as the Hearts of Stone DLC for Witcher 3 :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Is Gordon Freeman just a guy/what is his deal

• Locked thread