Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

GoldfishStew posted:

You know, having never played XCOM, I may just misunderstand what this game type is. I dunno. I like online shooters to jam on with pals. Thank god for Splatoon.

XCom isn't a shooter, it's a turn based isometric tactical RPG, like final fantasy tactics or disgaea

e: I mean I think someone tried or talked about doing a FPS xcom but iirc it either didn't happen or was poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

GoldfishStew posted:

You know, having never played XCOM, I may just misunderstand what this game type is. I dunno. I like online shooters to jam on with pals. Thank god for Splatoon.

It is a turn-based tactical game

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

XCom isn't a shooter, it's a turn based isometric tactical RPG, like final fantasy tactics or disgaea

e: I mean I think someone tried or talked about doing a FPS xcom but iirc it either didn't happen or was poo poo

There was a XCOM FPS which was announced before they revealed the remake

It was met with utter scorn and hatred from all comers and quietly buried and delayed until over a year after the remake came out, tanked and was quickly forgotten

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Inescapable Duck posted:

It was met with utter scorn and hatred from all comers and quietly buried and delayed until over a year after the remake came out, tanked and was quickly forgotten

It also turned into a weird third person Mass Effect-like squad game as they scrapped and retooled it.

Also, even weirder, XCOM 2 has a bunch of cutscenes that tie into its plot for some bizarre reason?

GoldfishStew posted:

Yeah, its a turn based game where you move dudes around on a grid and has a pretty expansive strategy layer. Not super great for MP.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Inescapable Duck posted:

I remember those dark days before the real game was announced. I remember the people who were like, "There isn't a market for turn-based games anymore, we need to take what we can get"

Back then I don't think I could have imagined this moment where two of the year's biggest releases are a full-featured expansion pack to the sequel of a wildly successful XCOM reboot and a Mario crossover game using XCOM's mechanics, coming out on the same day.

I probably couldn't have imagined a lot of other things but that's neither here nor there

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

It's not just seeds, every named area on the map counts towards % as well. Someone in the BotW thread said they were going to grind out all the seeds against all advice to the contrary, got to 94% or so at 900 seeds, and afaik hasn't posted in that thread since.

Can't wait for GDQ to feature a 100% BotW run that lasts the entire week

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I probably couldn't have imagined a lot of other things but that's neither here nor there

Someone came up with the idea that the world was actually supposed to end in 2012 and now we're in the post-game procedurally generated timeline because whoever was playing clicked "I'm not done yet, just a few more turns" and I'm finding it harder to argue with as time goes on

The alternative argument is that with infinite universes and so many ways for us to accidentally kill ourselves off as a species, it stands to reason that we'll keep getting weirder and weirder events because by definition we're still in one of the timelines that managed to not off ourselves yet against all odds

What I'm saying is Mario+Rabbids releasing and being good was actually inevitable

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

creationist believer posted:

Can't wait for GDQ to feature a 100% BotW run that lasts the entire week
WR for 100% No Amiibo is 33:41:11, apparently... although that may not be true anymore since those times are 2 months old, but the only other run recently I know was over 60 hours.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I don't have time to reach ranked! And salmon run is never on when I'm on. After a month I'm level 5 and each level seems to take twice as long as the last
Have you only played for like 2 hours? How do you not have time? This makes no sense.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Jesus I just logged onto YouTube and GameXplain are just posting the whole loving game of Mario and Rabbids seemingly.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I don't have time to reach ranked! And salmon run is never on when I'm on. After a month I'm level 5 and each level seems to take twice as long as the last

Like I said, you do you.

I don't see how you can get much out of any game if you don't have time to reach lv 10 in Splatoon, though. Probably takes less time than just finding all the drat kettles in the last world of Hero Mode.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That took like ten minutes to do

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

Secret of Mana is getting a 3D remake:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF44EpvFaoA

For PS4, PS Vita (lol), PC and Sw... wait what?

Secret of Mana 3D for Switch when? :(
Oh why do I feel like this is going to be bad

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Getting to level 10 in Splatoon 2 takes like 4-6 hours

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Tried ARMS at last with the waggle controls. The party mode is a pretty good way to get into grips with the game, although I'm not too sure about the 2vs2 mode. It's... not that bad. I'll have to play more in the weekend to make up my mind.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

LethalGeek posted:

The Adventures of Mana remake was just fine so this'll probably be fine too.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Zore posted:

Yeah, its a turn based game where you move dudes around on a grid and has a pretty expansive strategy layer. Not super great for MP.
some Russian dudes who still play HOMM3 would like to have a word with you

Not to mention the folks who play Blood Bowl

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Policenaut posted:

The Adventures of Mana remake was just fine so this'll probably be fine too.
You know if they remove pausing the entire game to spell cast when playing multiplayer and have a hard mode...that'd be really loving cool.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Zore posted:

This looks waaaaaaay more in-depth than I was expecting.

:psyduck:

Expect the unexpected.

*farts*

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Jesus I just logged onto YouTube and GameXplain are just posting the whole loving game of Mario and Rabbids seemingly.

They were pretty probably hoverhanding the upload button waiting for the exact moment the embargo was up.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
at least you fuckers should not use the final loving boss of the game that just came out as the thumbnail.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Sounds like we'd all be better off blocking their channel from our feeds cause seriously those videos are never worth watching more than 30s of.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I remember those dark days before the real game was announced. I remember the people who were like, "There isn't a market for turn-based games anymore, we need to take what we can get"

Back then I don't think I could have imagined this moment where two of the year's biggest releases are a full-featured expansion pack to the sequel of a wildly successful XCOM reboot and a Mario crossover game using XCOM's mechanics, coming out on the same day.

It's really weird how corporate execs sometimes just decide that there isn't a market for something with no actual proof.

Remember when Square-Enix was really surprised that Bravely Default, a classic-style JRPG, actually sold well and was what people in the west wanted?

Andrast fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 25, 2017

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

LethalGeek posted:

Because you didn't play Adventures of Mana.

Please play Adventures of Mana.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Phantasium posted:

Because you didn't play Adventures of Mana.

Please play Adventures of Mana.

It turned out better than Sword of Mana? I love FFA but absolutely hated that when it came out on GBA.

Hopefully Square will remake 3 too and bundle them all on Switch. I won't get my hopes up though.:smith:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

It turned out better than Sword of Mana? I love FFA but absolutely hated that when it came out on GBA.

Hopefully Square will remake 3 too and bundle them all on Switch. I won't get my hopes up though.:smith:

It's literally the original GB game with a graphical and musical facelift, and even uses the same world map.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Andrast posted:

Remember when Square-Enix was really surprised that Bravely Default, a classic-style JRPG, actually sold well and was what people in the west wanted?

I haven't seen the numbers, but I hope the second one did well too.

I want Bravely Switch to exist. Like, a lot

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Apparently Croagunk is pretty bad so I'm definitely skipping Pokken unless it gets a deep discount.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Bloop posted:

Pretty sure the bravely team is making Octopath traveler (which we still don't know anything about)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

tap my mountain posted:

Apparently Croagunk is pretty bad so I'm definitely skipping Pokken unless it gets a deep discount.

Isn't it a little early to declare a new character bad in a fighting game?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
They've been in Japanese arcades since December

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Andrast posted:

Pretty sure the bravely team is making Octopath traveler (which we still don't know anything about)

I am now slightly less hyped for Octopath Traveler because I never did beat BD and absolutely loathed the pacing of the 2nd half

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lakbay posted:

I am now slightly less hyped for Octopath Traveler because I never did beat BD and absolutely loathed the pacing of the 2nd half

Bravely Second doesn't have the problem so there is no reason to believe they would do it again

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The only thing I didn't like about BD is the addition of the streetpass and micropayments things where it was just MASH A TO WIN

Luckily, I could just ignore them and play the game. Most fun I've had in an RPG since FFIII(US)SNES

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

The Bloop posted:

I have a vague impression that it did at least as well as the first one? But I don't know why because the only official thing I ever saw was the panel where some of the translator dorks (including the guy who wrote the boat scene :shobon:) talked at PAX East.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

LethalGeek posted:

Even if it is, I can forgive a lot if they add an "active" combat mode where the game doesn't pause if another player goes in to the ring menu to use items or magic.

Toss in a boss rush mode or the ability to ramp up the difficulty? Yes please. Also add the missing claw orb so you don't have to grind for two of them in the Mana Fortress to get the final claw weapon.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
I have seventy hours in splatoon and have played 0% of the single player. doesn't really feel like a game to try to beat

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

whaley posted:

I have seventy hours in splatoon and have played 0% of the single player. doesn't really feel like a game to try to beat

I've only played the first few levels of the single player, but there are meal tickets in there that will get you XP boosts and stuff, so it seems worthwhile to me as something to do occasionally.

Edit: also the first boss was really cool so I'm curious to see more of that stuff.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Feenix posted:

Pokken strikes me as something I'd get at the 40 or below range. If it's 60, I'm not sure the allure is there.

:) I think it's neat, though!

It was at 43 bucks on Amazon for a day so yeah, that hit my price point perfectly.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

whaley posted:

You should. It's pretty much Mario Galaxy with guns and you get some nice bonuses for multiplayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

whaley posted:

Completion is defined as 100% paint coverage. :getin:

• Locked thread