Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
it could definitely be may / pac in terms of watchability. but i honestly think that even if rigo wins, loma is more than savvy enough to make him really loving work for it so i'm cautiously optimistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Loma's gonna make Rigo look like the old man he probably is

Garlic Wraith
Dec 10, 2015

Dracula's nemesis

Marching Powder posted:

if it's not at 130 then i could definitely see it. if he can successfully shut down loma, it'll be a career defining performance for sure, and he can make it as boring as he likes imo.

I am pretty sure this fight is going to be at 130 lbs.

Mostly curious how Rigo does against Loma but I expect Hi tech to win this one.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Lomachenko is an unassailable boxing god as far as I'm concerned, until someone proves otherwise. And no, Salido doesn't count.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
https://twitter.com/RigoElChacal305/status/900136782133567488

Bants

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

that's why rigo's gonna beat lomachenko. loma won't even make it to fight night

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Noctone posted:

Lomachenko is an unassailable boxing god as far as I'm concerned, until someone proves otherwise. And no, Salido doesn't count.

What happened in that fight? I've seen Lomachenko in his last 3 fights and I'm still baffled how he lost to someone I didn't figure was that highly regarded. Dude looks like an anime character when he gets going, what did Salido do that was able to stand up to that?

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
Salido was just a dirty experienced fighter and lomachenko wasn't ready for it. I and a lot of people still think he won the fight anyways and it's safe to say that he would destroy salido in a rematch.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

mike- posted:

Salido was just a dirty experienced fighter and lomachenko wasn't ready for it. I and a lot of people still think he won the fight anyways and it's safe to say that he would destroy salido in a rematch.

Yeah this. It was only Lomachenko's second professional fight. Salido missed weight by a mile and ended up showing up to the fight a full 11 pounds heavier than Loma, and he got away with several low blows. Just by pure objective measures, Loma outpunched Salido both by the number of punches landed and especially by percentage. Ended up being a close split decision.

It's little wonder Salido has been ducking a rematch.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Noctone posted:

Yeah this. It was only Lomachenko's second professional fight. Salido missed weight by a mile and ended up showing up to the fight a full 11 pounds heavier than Loma, and he got away with several low blows. Just by pure objective measures, Loma outpunched Salido both by the number of punches landed and especially by percentage. Ended up being a close split decision.

It's little wonder Salido has been ducking a rematch.

And even with all of this, by the end of the fight Lomachenko was still loving Salido up. I thought for a few moments that he might actually get him out of there.

If that rematch ever happened, I have no doubt that he'd obliterate and embarrass him (which is why it hasn't happened, because Orlando and his team know that too)

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

alansmithee posted:

What happened in that fight? I've seen Lomachenko in his last 3 fights and I'm still baffled how he lost to someone I didn't figure was that highly regarded. Dude looks like an anime character when he gets going, what did Salido do that was able to stand up to that?

Yeah everybody else summed it up pretty well. It's kind of an interesting fight to watch cause Salido definitely wins, but not in any impressive way, mostly by fighting dirty and mean. Clearly it was a good learning experience for Loma.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

This happened earlier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ivm7PdHrak

Also Sergiy Derevyanchenko is killing Tureano Johnson right now

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

premature stoppage

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Got a fight thread for tomorrow up

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
This sums up Lomachenko / Salido succinctly I think.

Machine Levine, Punch Lines Podcast posted:

He was fighting a full welterweight, getting hit in the balls all night, in only his second pro bout, and he still almost came back to win.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Rigo still has bombs in his hands and it'll be a competitive fight so idk how to handicap it. Think it will be close.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

i'm super pumped for the golovkin fight. when it was announced i had it like 70-30 golovkin but i think it's more 60-40 now due to reflections on ggg's recent fights.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

thehappyprince posted:

i'm super pumped for the golovkin fight. when it was announced i had it like 70-30 golovkin but i think it's more 60-40 now due to reflections on ggg's recent fights.

plural? i thought jacobs was the only guy who made ggg look less than a killer and he has several attributes that i'd credit for that performance that canelo doesn't have.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

i thought he was less than stellar in the brook fight tbh

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^^--I mean you specifically talking about Golovkin not looking that good has been going on his whole career

Marching Powder posted:

plural? i thought jacobs was the only guy who made ggg look less than a killer and he has several attributes that i'd credit for that performance that canelo doesn't have.

Yeah I've seen a lot of this going around and I don't really get it.

It's always possible GGG is slowing down, he is 35 after all. I'd just not say it's a definite thing based off of that Jacobs fight.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Canelo is a very good fighter and I think Golovkin is going to slowly beat the poo poo out of him over the duration of a competitive fight. If that makes any sense

e: and then Canelo will win an atrocious split decision and gently caress boxing forever

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Aug 27, 2017

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
shitttt

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

piss

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
lol that Gervonta Davis was given a stage to shine and blew it in like five different ways

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Rewatching Gatti v Ward I and god drat did I forget how loving terrible the time keeper is in that fight. Dude had to have lost his job after that fight right?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

thehappyprince posted:

i thought he was less than stellar in the brook fight tbh

No way, the happy prince thinking a British fighter looking good in a fight they were getting the snot punched out of. Say it isnt so.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

thehappyprince posted:

Yeah same, used to think Golovkin was the heavy favorite but now i think it's a very even match that I'm just rooting for GGG to win. I think Canelo has gotten better with every fight and is a lot better prepared for Golovkin than he was a few years ago.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

This story understandably got buried on Saturday by Mayweather-McGregor news, but ESPN and Top Rank announced that they have a minimum 4-year deal made between them. ESPN is now the exclusive carrier of Top Rank fights, will be showing both their big event cards as well as the smaller cards Top Rank used to develop their fighters that previously got buried on Spanish only channels, and will also be broadcasting PPV fights for the company. ESPN is also getting access to Top Rank's fight library of classic fights.

Several fights for the network coming up including Oscar Valdez, Jesse Magdaleno, the Pacquiao-Horn rematch and Lomachenko vs probably Rigondeaux in December.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

The Ninth Layer posted:

This story understandably got buried on Saturday by Mayweather-McGregor news, but ESPN and Top Rank announced that they have a minimum 4-year deal made between them. ESPN is now the exclusive carrier of Top Rank fights, will be showing both their big event cards as well as the smaller cards Top Rank used to develop their fighters that previously got buried on Spanish only channels, and will also be broadcasting PPV fights for the company. ESPN is also getting access to Top Rank's fight library of classic fights.

Several fights for the network coming up including Oscar Valdez, Jesse Magdaleno, the Pacquiao-Horn rematch and Lomachenko vs probably Rigondeaux in December.

I'm more excited about this than I probably should be.

Garlic Wraith
Dec 10, 2015

Dracula's nemesis

Monday Bandele posted:

lol that Gervonta Davis was given a stage to shine and blew it in like five different ways

Yeah, I couldn't put it any better. Davis couldn't even wipe out a tomato can without rabbit punching him. No wonder he's been ducking Loma.

Garlic Wraith fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 28, 2017

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

InfrastructureWeek posted:

Yeah everybody else summed it up pretty well. It's kind of an interesting fight to watch cause Salido definitely wins, but not in any impressive way, mostly by fighting dirty and mean. Clearly it was a good learning experience for Loma.

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm just kinda getting back into watching boxing the last couple of years so I have some catching up to do.

I find it funny that Salido won how he did. One of my friends during both of the last Loma fights was aways saying how if he was in the ring against him he'd be trying to throw low blows and elbows and clinching and whatever rather than just get styled on and peppered with shots constantly. Apparently that's a legit strategy.

Also the ESPN-Top Rank deal is really good. There's no central body governing things, but getting good matches on regular cable can only help boxing's exposure.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
The Top Rank/ESPN deal is pretty neat (big fan of the library being on-demand especially) but I see the fact that they announced it the morning of MayMac and then see how it's being reported and I have to temper my expectations a bit.

https://twitter.com/tqbr/status/901724937588801536

EDIT: VVVV You know what this means; JuanMa-Gamboa is finally on baby :rock:

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 29, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Haha, that's amazing. How far back in time would you have to go for that statement to be true?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

It's a Variety story on boxing. I don't even trust them to cover regular news.

alansmithee posted:

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm just kinda getting back into watching boxing the last couple of years so I have some catching up to do.

I find it funny that Salido won how he did. One of my friends during both of the last Loma fights was aways saying how if he was in the ring against him he'd be trying to throw low blows and elbows and clinching and whatever rather than just get styled on and peppered with shots constantly. Apparently that's a legit strategy.

Also the ESPN-Top Rank deal is really good. There's no central body governing things, but getting good matches on regular cable can only help boxing's exposure.
Fouling your way back into fights is a legitimate talent in boxing, and can be really effective in sapping a faster/stronger fighter's strength and stamina. How successful you are in part falls upon how competent or biased the referee is. It's not seen as sportsmanlike when done excessively and fans do take notice. Bernard Hopkins was a notorious fouler, and arguably a master at his craft; timing his low punches for moments where the referee's view of the shot was obstructed. Andre Ward's sort of inherited that mantle today, but at times I've also heard guys like Tim Bradley, Abner Mares, and even Floyd Mayweather get accused of frequent fouling too.

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 29, 2017

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

First episode of GGG-Canelo 24/7 is up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrdGoqt_Wv4

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

First episode of GGG-Canelo 24/7 is up

"The uploader has not made this video available in your country"

MOTHER FUCKERS

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yo! Willie comin

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

So I'm working my way through all the weekend's fights. I've watched the HBO and PPV cards (and was really only entertained by Vargas-Rios and Cleverly-Jack, though Davis-Fonseca was an amazing loving shitshow.) I'll get to the PBC broadcast at some point, I'm ridiculously busy this week.

I don't particularly want to drag the whole MMA-vs-boxing thing into this thread, but as the fight thread was closed and defunct before I even saw all the fights, let alone read all the posts, I just want to sanity-check with the people who know both sides of the divide:

In the fight thread, it was implied that both MMA and boxing refs have approximately the same standards re: stopping fights to protect fighters who cannot defend themselves. I would certainly hope this is the case. Now. I've seen a shitton of boxing. I have seen exactly one MMA match. Actually, part of one MMA match because I couldn't really watch the whole thing, I looked away for a bit and looked back to see the fight end. But my point is that in that match---and sadly I don't remember who was in it, or else I'd go dig it up online to illustrate, I could swear it was from a UFC thing from a few years back (I was at the gym at the time and was testing out the television built into the treadmill)---within a minute of the first round beginning, one guy was on his back on the mat, the other guy was sitting on his chest and punching him in the head, and that's where we stayed until the bell rang. The guy on the mat could vaguely hold his arms in front of his face, making him not defenseless, so punching guy could go on smacking him in the side of the skull for two straight minutes. The second round went much the same as the first and I think the guy submitted or whatever because gently caress having your chest sat on while your skull is punched in. But, like, where the gently caress is the ref? Am I hallucinating? This is somehow the ultimate evolution of the martial arts?

I don't want to come off like I'm some kind of old-timey cranky rear end in a top hat from 1955 in a bad suit with a three-pack-a-day habit and a racing form in my pocket. I'm willing to listen if there's a reasonable explanation for this sort of thing. But...what the gently caress.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The rules are basically the same as boxing. If you're intelligently defending yourself the ref will let it continue. If you're not the ref will stop it.

A guy who is stuck in full mount can still be defending himself if he's preventing most of the punches from getting through. Nobody can say whether the ref in that case did a good or bad job because you don't know what you watched.

Watching boxing but going all aghast at MMA is silly. Boxing is extremely bad for long term health, very possibly even worse than MMA due to the far larger number of head impacts over a career. If you prefer one over the other that's fine, but it's not like boxing as a sport hasn't seen people die from damage taken in the ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

big money big clit posted:

A guy who is stuck in full mount can still be defending himself if he's preventing most of the punches from getting through. Nobody can say whether the ref in that case did a good or bad job because you don't know what you watched.

Or if he's Oleg Taktarov he's just fine no matter how hosed up his face is and how much someone is headbutting it :colbert:

big money big clit posted:

Watching boxing but going all aghast at MMA is silly. Boxing is extremely bad for long term health, very possibly even worse than MMA due to the far larger number of head impacts over a career.

I think it's quite likely boxing is worse for you, the sub-concussive impacts over time seem very dangerous and boxing is a lot more likely to let a dude get beat up a lot longer before he passes out. But more research should be done of course before we call that conclusively, although enough research has probably been done for most people to (correctly) say holy gently caress my kid will never box.

I just love this stupid, corrupt, person destroying sport too much to stop watching.