Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Evil Mastermind posted:

"I killed who knows how many people through terrorist acts, but saving this random person will morally absolve me of all that."

Get hosed.

I was wondering if anyone was ever going to address how...close those two are.

I'm still wondering if they've dropped the plotline about Silver being abusive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

The Bloop posted:

What the gently caress even is this thing? I missed/ignored the beginning and now reading random ones it just seems like someone's fevered dream conflating Keifer Sutherland in 24 and Phone Booth

Guy wakes up trapped in a phone booth with amnesia. Doesn't realize he has amnesia, because the last thing he remembers was also coincidentally in a phone booth, several years earlier.

Figures out a concrete alcove collapsed over a whole bank of payphones. Spends hours trying to survive until rescue comes, by chipping a hole in the concrete to get the neighboring empty booth which still contains fresh air.

Eventually logics out a way to contact the outside, finds out that in his missing years he lost his wife and became a rebel/terrorist to avenge her. The embassy bombs that collapsed the alcove are his doing. Decides to try to redeem himself by closing his air hole to leave that air for the innocent bystander in the booth two over.

The end, no moral!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Bobulus posted:

Guy wakes up trapped in a phone booth with amnesia. Doesn't realize he has amnesia, because the last thing he remembers was also coincidentally in a phone booth, several years earlier.

Figures out a concrete alcove collapsed over a whole bank of payphones. Spends hours trying to survive until rescue comes, by chipping a hole in the concrete to get the neighboring empty booth which still contains fresh air.

Eventually logics out a way to contact the outside, finds out that in his missing years he lost his wife and became a rebel/terrorist to avenge her. The embassy bombs that collapsed the alcove are his doing. Decides to try to redeem himself by closing his air hole to leave that air for the innocent bystander in the booth two over.

The end, no moral!

And he drinks his piss, don't forget.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Bobulus posted:

The end, no moral!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h1F93EJIds

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Fleep started off good, it really did. If done properly, it could be great. 1/3 of the way in though it stops making sense, and what the author considered to be complex riddles with smart answers was, in reality, semi-coherent, self-congratulatory babble. The last part is just a random concoction - I've read it twice now and there are still points I don't get, my stupidity notwithstanding.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Selachian posted:

And he drinks his piss, don't forget.

Chugs it, I'd say

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
God help me, I'm identifying with someone in Dilbert. :negative:

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
the final Fleep

Pluggers

U.S. Acres

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Why would you do this to us?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Why would you do this to us?

I remember quite liking Orson's Farm when it first ran. Of course the immediate point of comparison was Garfield, so by that point it only needed one original idea per thousand strips to be vastly better.

U.S. Acres is still a dumb name for it, though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

NRVNQSR posted:

I remember quite liking Orson's Farm when it first ran. Of course the immediate point of comparison was Garfield, so by that point it only needed one original idea per thousand strips to be vastly better.

U.S. Acres is still a dumb name for it, though.

And of course like Garfield himself, it was done much better in the cartoon version (which is probably the only place a majority of people would have heard about it from). What's the story on the strip anyway? Was it just some side project Davis was working on during the early days of Garfield?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Aug 26, 2017

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Old New Yorker Cartoons

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Like, all of Holbrook's work is awful but Fastrack is the only one that consistently makes me go, "...what?" because Holbrook is a brokebrain idiot that thinks his visual metaphors are clever or even coherent

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
It Was Only a Dream Midsummer Day Dreams(click for huge)

And He Did. (February, 1917)

Outbursts of Everett True (March, 1917)

Doings of the Duffs. (December, 1918, click for big)

Fritzi Ritz (November, 1922, click for big)

The Gay Thirties (December, 1935, click for big))

They'll Do It Every Time (November, 1940, click for big)

Dick Tracy (March, 1941, click for big)

Mopsy (May, 1941)

Archie (May, 1956, click for big)

Marmaduke (July, 1959)

Mr. Tweedy (August, 1970, click for big)

Feiffer (1975, click for big)

Andy Capp (January, 1972, click for big)

This is the best Andy Capp I've ever seen.

Wee Pals (March, 1972, click for big)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Slammy posted:

Mopsy (May, 1941)

For a moment I thought you posted two Marmadukes. :v:

Calaveron posted:

Like, all of Holbrook's work is awful but Fastrack is the only one that consistently makes me go, "...what?" because Holbrook is a brokebrain idiot that thinks his visual metaphors are clever or even coherent
At least this one was slightly better than the ones where he has them as their animal avatars for no good reason?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Calaveron posted:

Whenever Safe Haven's starts talking about their genetics work, I just get ...not really angry? but it's just...SO...GODDAMN.....WRONG.

Dude loving jerked off on his pigeons and turned one into a human baby, so in a state of panic he....destroyed all his notes and equipment and raised the baby as his own. (how did he answer where the gently caress a baby girl came from?)
and then he...convinced his pigeon daughter to go to the same college in the hopes she'd run into another Genetist-Wizard and......what?
WHAT

WHAT WAS YOUR PLAN

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I had no idea US Acres was a strip. I thought it was just the cartoon. Huh.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set is just flat-out gross.

Working Daze reminds you of that thing that exists.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix reaches out and touches someone.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (April 1, 1952)

Nancy (May 19, 1944)

Wash Tubbs (January 16, 1930)

Gasoline Alley (February 14, 1924)

Lil' Abner (October 14, 1937)

Barney Google (February 15, 1923)

Alley Oop (May 17, 1934)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Janis Classic (January 5, 1996)

Garfield Classic (January 5, 1986)

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BC

Baldo

Wizard of Id

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

You may THINK that background dragon is cute, but you just know it's probably playing Wonderwall.

Big Nate

Wallace

Curtis

Make him volunteer at the zoo all next summer then. That's a logical thing for comics parents to do.

[b][Baby Blues/b]

That's... that's loving weird, dude.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

2002 Spiderman

The Amazing Mole Man

Tina's Groove

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Haifisch posted:

The Amazing Mole Man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCx7cayagUQ

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Zippy

Ripley's

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Aardmania posted:

Judge Parker

I hate to say it, but I'm invested in the various stories of April and her ruthless bald-headed dad. :allears:

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
U.S. Acres

Pluggers

monday's Pluggers

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Ok, so tell me if I got this right.

So, in this nerd-based universe, the worst thing in the world is to enjoy sports.
Thus, the jock guy, who is never actually mean or aggressive to any of the other characters is THE WORST EVER because he enjoys sports.
And so while we might understand that his amiable invitation to enjoy sports with him as an attempt at friendship, the nerd characters understand it as a horrible insult to their core.
So the woman nerd gets her cruel, cruel revenge by doing the worst thing anybody can think of. She... enjoys sports at him?

And it works.

Imgur is giving me the redass. I'll keep working on the Luann thing.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Reddick is the kind of person who says Sportsball and totally loving means it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
No, I think she has a gambling problem and so knows enough sport to bet on it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Because she's the Marge Simpson character who marries the dumpy idiot.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The way the pigs are drawn in US Acres really freaks me out. It's too close to the Michelin Man or something and my brain doesn't like it.

The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack I don't understand why the water is coming out of a muffin tin in that second panel

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm :stonk: :stonk: :stonk:

Hagar The Horrible

Old new Yorker Cartoons

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hi James!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

^^^^
I did notice that, but I think James Allen uses the phrase "something awful" fairly regularly. Plus we rag on him pretty hard so if he was going to reference us I would think it would be negative.

I mean it's possible he's saying hi but I don't think so.

Mea Culpa posted:

Random Acts of Nancy

This is the first time I have wanted the back story to every one of these.

Selachian posted:

Rhymes with Orange

I can never tell which of these are Piccolo's and which are the other artist's. This one's funny though.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth Presents: The Lynn Johnston Story

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Apartment 3-G

Uh oh! Millie's trying to hypnotize him.

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 26, 2017

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I didn't know Spiderman turned to terrorism. :ohdear:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Julet Esqu posted:

Ok, so tell me if I got this right.

So, in this nerd-based universe, the worst thing in the world is to enjoy sports.
Thus, the jock guy, who is never actually mean or aggressive to any of the other characters is THE WORST EVER because he enjoys sports.
And so while we might understand that his amiable invitation to enjoy sports with him as an attempt at friendship, the nerd characters understand it as a horrible insult to their core.
So the woman nerd gets her cruel, cruel revenge by doing the worst thing anybody can think of. She... enjoys sports at him?

And it works.

No, see, when Barry enjoys sports, it's a sign of how dumb and shallow he is. When Gwen enjoys sports, it shows how strong and well-rounded she is.

(Also, I can guaran-drat-tee there's more action in these panels than there will be in the actual Mayweather/McGregor fight.)

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

FrumpleOrz posted:

Mother Goose & Grimm :stonk: :stonk: :stonk:

It's been a long, long time since a comic strip made me literally laugh out loud, and I can't believe it was loving Mother Goose and Grimm that did it.

Mea Culpa
Oct 23, 2005

Ali's House

Moomin :)

Lucky Cow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mea Culpa
Oct 23, 2005

Richard's Poor Almanac

Spirit of the Staircase

• Locked thread