Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Tender Bender posted:

People are really brain broken and will play games they don't actually enjoy so they can get arbitrary points or rewards they have no intention of using, and will stop playing games they do enjoy once they exhaust the arbitrary points or reward system.

That's me in most games these days. Games seem to get longer and longer and have more padding/filler so I find it hard to bring myself to just keep playing after sinking so much time into a game. If there's a trophy or whatever it at least gives me a reason to keep going, some kind of goal to work to or it encourages me to do something I wouldn't of thought of doing otherwise. (Assuming it's a good list and not just grind 20 bear butts or something)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Got to the airplane stage on sonic mania and I just cannot get into it. I have good memories of playing Sonic 1-3 as a kid, but it feels more like a chore than anything else. I feel like the stages just aren't really challenging enough, it's more just about slogging through them.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Shards of Fate posted:

I have to share this piece of information trending in my country's Switch Facebook group.

Friend Zoned again :sigh:

really though I'm torn between a guy losing the perfect console and also losing my poo poo because someone actually thought this was a good idea.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
https://twitter.com/Nintendeal/status/901146680115871744

Looks rather plain, but nice they even do the dock.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Nintendo streaming the Fire Emblem Warriors game. It certainly looks like a Warriors game with elements from the Fire Emblem games, like ordering characters to move and attack objectives, making this a more tactical Warriors game. Looks promising at least.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah I think DW9 is doing that and a few scant Warriors games do the orders gimmick like the odd Samurai Warriors game or two. Nice to see that gimmick being put to proper use in FE Warriors!

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

angel opportunity posted:

Got to the airplane stage on sonic mania and I just cannot get into it. I have good memories of playing Sonic 1-3 as a kid, but it feels more like a chore than anything else. I feel like the stages just aren't really challenging enough, it's more just about slogging through them.

Sonic stages really really shouldn't be harder than they are imo. That's when you get into obnoxious poo poo like Sonic CD level design which isn't fun when it's being an rear end in a top hat.

Also, games can still be great if they are easy, see Kirby

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Golashes posted:

I'll put it in spoilers just in case. there isn't much to spoil

Does the first boss fight actually take over an hour like the devs claimed on the announce stream?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

angel opportunity posted:

I actually thought the game was a bit hard. I get what you mean, I am personally enjoying the game but 2D sonic games already haven't aged as well as say, Mario.

This is a good one though!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Dizz posted:

Friend Zoned again :sigh:

really though I'm torn between a guy losing the perfect console and also losing my poo poo because someone actually thought this was a good idea.

Nintendo's gonna have to start putting disclaimers on their ads. Remember to Share the Joy Responsibly, people :smith:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I actually thought the game was a bit hard. I get what you mean, I am personally enjoying the game but 2D sonic games already haven't aged as well as say, Mario.

This is a good one though!

Man I don't get this statement at all as I finished my first 3+K run the other day in years and thought it was outstanding still.

Like it and Mania still feel super responsive and fun to play like the old Mario series. I guess it's just a matter of opinion though so eh

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!

NRVNQSR posted:

Does the first boss fight actually take over an hour like the devs claimed on the announce stream?

Uhh, I'll let you guys know this afternoon but that would be like 10 times as long as the midboss i faced so that would be an odd change of pace

Oh to the guy who asked about tacticam, it shows move/attack ranges and base stats of anyone on the field. It's alright but a lot of it id just rather have as available info on the main screen

Golashes fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 26, 2017

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

An hour-long boss fight does not sound fun to me at all.

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!

irlZaphod posted:

An hour-long boss fight does not sound fun to me at all.

Yeah especially the first boss. Hope I can disprove this today

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Some major XCOM battles could take about 40 minutes or more so it doesn't seem that far-fetched

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Some major XCOM battles could take about 40 minutes or more so it doesn't seem that far-fetched

The battle areas are definitely smaller than xcom (not a bad thing, you just don't spend quite as long hunting around)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Andrast posted:

The best version of tactics is the PSP version with the anti-slowdown patch, either on an actual PSP or an emulator. The touch controls are much worse than the normal button controls.

iOS has slowdown fixed in FFT and has for years. The touchscreen controls are also good, especially if you play on an iPad mini. It was fine on a 4S as well but far better on an iPad for my non-baby hands.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

https://twitter.com/Nintendeal/status/901146680115871744

Looks rather plain, but nice they even do the dock.

Black joycons > grey > red/blue > splatoon neon puke colors.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

iOS has slowdown fixed in FFT and has for years. The touchscreen controls are also good, especially if you play on an iPad mini. It was fine on a 4S as well but far better on an iPad for my non-baby hands.

Way worse than the button controls though.

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

ihatepants posted:

They've already announced that an update is coming in September that will add 64 bit support.

Oh, nice! Last I heard they had said something like "we're aware of the issue and will update sometime," which usually means gently caress-all. Glad to hear they actually gave a timeframe.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Evil Fluffy posted:

This is a bad opinion

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Shards of Fate posted:

I have to share this piece of information trending in my country's Switch Facebook group.

I think this is less "Don't people suck?" and more "Maybe you shouldn't wave around on public transportation electronic portables which cost a month's wage for the average person in the country you're in."

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
My favorite part is where he falls down

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Please be responsible and play your Switch in dedicated gaming areas such as rooftops.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Just got back from the Chicago Best Buy event.

Kind of confusing at first. Got there an hour early. They Told us all to line up outside for everything. Then about 15 min after the store opened they told all of us that we could just come inside for the General Play for Metroid and Mario. So I end up being 7th in line to do the General Play. Screw trying to qualify for that competition when I'm 15 sec slower than the winning times last weekend.

They end up filming something with the people that were first in line for the competition. Recorded them playing, in front of the leaderboard, and then playing the two new games for the first time. So that took like 20 minutes. Then they let us play.

They let us play about 10 minutes of the opening of Metroid, 10 minutes on one of two stages in Mario Odessey. Got two free posters and a My Nintendo pin. Pretty neat, I'm sold on both games.

If you're going for the General Play for these things I would not advise going early. The huge majority of people there wanted to qualify for the NWC. For General Play show up at 10am when the Best Buy opens and you can be in and out within an hour. iJE

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Nintendo PR already solved this problem for their press tours, anyway. You just need to shackle your Switch to your wrist

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Nintendo PR already solved this problem for their press tours, anyway. You just need to shackle your Switch to your wrist

Uh, you should shackle it to a woman instead

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!

NRVNQSR posted:

lmao no it was like a half hour at the absolute most because I'm watching soccer at the same time, it was also one of the easier fights so far. The miniboss was more challenging for sure

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Golashes, any thoughts about the game's writing/humor?

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
It's pretty light on plot, I think I just met the primary antagonist, it's not a huge surprise. The writing is less annoying than you'd expect (I'm not begging to skip cutscenes or anything) and the rabbids, while annoying, aren't as WAAAAA as they seem from trailers and prior games.

Overall, my review based on the first world: game is good. The main problems are quality of life stuff (there's some slowdown and the frame rate just feels low, along with the map stuff I mentioned before). I was worried about the difficulty since there is only easy and normal but it's stayed interesting (especially with the rewards for better performance), and it seems like it will have a lot of replay ability (I just went back to the first world and I'm missing like 15 chests and a "hidden chapter", and there are apparently 8 "challenges" I haven't done).

If you like turn based strategy game is good, if you don't it probably won't convert you though. If you have never played one this is as good of an entry point as you'll get.

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC

Evil Fluffy posted:

You're one of those people that never really figured out which symbol to use, right?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I'm playing arms test punch how do I play one on one because two Vs two loving sucks

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Frankston posted:

I'm playing arms test punch how do I play one on one because two Vs two loving sucks

You buy the full game and play ranked

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Zelder posted:

You buy the full game and play ranked

Eh I'll pass, game kinda sucks

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Arms is good.

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
The challenges have you go though remixed stages and do, uhh, challenges. They're actually pretty tough!

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Golashes posted:

The challenges have you go though remixed stages and do, uhh, challenges. They're actually pretty tough!

This sentence makes me happy. I'm trying to find stores that have broken the street date so I can play this weekend.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Evil Fluffy posted:

How about DIY white, gold, clear, or teal?

I admit, part of me likes the Super Famicom/New 3DS colored buttons on those, and if there were a SNES Gray set I'd consider it, but I'd rather collect more of the official colors first. Really want a Splatoon set and the Red/Blue to match my Blue/Red.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

Arms is good.

This is what i said for about 9 days after launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Golashes posted:

I've seen games media people say it does the current Mario thing of having a super hard world once you complete the game too.

• Locked thread