Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

I think I need a new throwout bearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

joat mon posted:

oh my god. :barf:

It took me way too long to figure out what was going on there.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

oh my god. :barf:

It took me way too long to figure out what was going on there.

I found an old one for comparison:

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

joat mon posted:

For sale, throwout bearing, very worn.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

kastein posted:

Nah, because he has poo poo I want to buy and contacts I want to get so I can buy their poo poo too. After that he can suck it.

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

Not really condoning what dude said, but he sounds more country than racist. I don't think in my lifetime I've heard anyone say that as an outright racist remark so much as a country colloquialism. YMMV, etc...

So, without judgement, I'd just like to make the observation that when it comes to racist / sexist / fascist / etc. poo poo, accepting or ignoring the behavior is effectively condoning it. This has always been the case, but especially in the current state of US politics. I know you're a good dude, kastein, so I want to be clear that I'm not painting you with a swastika brush. No idea about G2R there so reserving judgement. Just saying that tacitly condoning what is, in this case, probably just ignorant poo poo, but in other cases could be a legitimate racist douchebag dog-whistling, is detrimental to society because it normalizes ignorant or flat-out hateful behavior and implies to the actor that we're ok with it. Which, being good people, we're not.

theres a will theres moe posted:

There were some fine people n****r-rigging their trucks?

Basically this.

Sorry for the political / social derail. BACK TO HORRIBLE MECHANICAL FAILURES

Shamelessly stolen from Imgur so as to avoid being a terrible human

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

kastein posted:

E: to give you an idea of what kind of person I saved this boat from, he proclaimed he "n*****-rigged it" so he could drive it to work with the plates from his Ford ranger slapped on it with no insurance, and boasted about field bombing random cheap cars on the farm he works on while blind drunk. At least he knew he should sell this before he was tempted to do the same thing to it (and told me as much.)

I may be from the wrong part of the country, because I don't understand this. What is "field bombing" cars?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Driving them stupidly around an empty farm paddock while drunk and/or high and possibly eventually flipping them or otherwise loving them.

I did that with some friends years ago because we wanted to try and flip a car and get it to roll. We got an early 80s Commodore wagon and welded in the basic-est cage and harness you've ever seen. It was actually really hard to flip it, we ended up digging a ditch we could slide it into, and it only ended up on its side.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Memento posted:

Driving them stupidly around an empty farm paddock while drunk and/or high and possibly eventually flipping them or otherwise loving them.

I did that with some friends years ago because we wanted to try and flip a car and get it to roll. We got an early 80s Commodore wagon and welded in the basic-est cage and harness you've ever seen. It was actually really hard to flip it, we ended up digging a ditch we could slide it into, and it only ended up on its side.

Ah, ok. We did that, but it was out in the desert and we didn't have a cool name for it.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I fought installing a turnbuckle for an hour today until I looked super-close. Someone had so perfectly cross-threaded it that the lefthanded end had both threadforms in it. I could spin a right-handed bolt into both ends of the turnbuckle.

My potato's lens is cracked and smeared with grease, hydraulic fluid, jet fuel, or something, so this is the best pic I could get. That's both left- and right-hand thread 1/4-28.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That's pretty impressive.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Shifty Pony posted:

The real tell that it was user error and not German engineering failure is that the instrument cluster didn't light up light a Christmas tree due to water coming within 50cm of an engine sensor. water didn't make it's way into the tail lights through the wiring harness.

:colbert:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Our leading hand once looked up at a truck mirror that had clipped a tree and was being held together with duct tape until the new one we ordered showed up and loudly proclaimed "Who the gently caress N****r rigged this abortion?"

While our Aboriginal works supervisor (and his boss) was standing behind him.

That was entertaining to watch.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

My potato's lens is cracked and smeared with grease, hydraulic fluid, jet fuel, or something, so this is the best pic I could get.

I mean that's a great picture given the equipment you're using.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

HandlingByJebus posted:

So, without judgement, I'd just like to make the observation that when it comes to racist / sexist / fascist / etc. poo poo, accepting or ignoring the behavior is effectively condoning it. This has always been the case, but especially in the current state of US politics. I know you're a good dude, kastein, so I want to be clear that I'm not painting you with a swastika brush. No idea about G2R there so reserving judgement. Just saying that tacitly condoning what is, in this case, probably just ignorant poo poo, but in other cases could be a legitimate racist douchebag dog-whistling, is detrimental to society because it normalizes ignorant or flat-out hateful behavior and implies to the actor that we're ok with it. Which, being good people, we're not.

First of all, I didn't say I condone this behavior whether through commission or omission. I'm realistic that bubba isn't going to change his deep rooted vernacular. We can spout moral high-ground all day, but the fact of the matter is, this guy that kastein encountered isn't the problem with America. He's not propagating racism by using a term that everyone in his family, and his friends and their family say as simply as calling a tissue a kleenex, the likelihood that he even encounters non-white people is probably pretty small in his agrarian microcosm that he exists in. TLDR: I don't talk poo poo about people because of their colloquialisms, and lecturing to/about them changes NOTHING.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

First of all, I didn't say I condone this behavior whether through commission or omission. I'm realistic that bubba isn't going to change his deep rooted vernacular. We can spout moral high-ground all day, but the fact of the matter is, this guy that kastein encountered isn't the problem with America. He's not propagating racism by using a term that everyone in his family, and his friends and their family say as simply as calling a tissue a kleenex, the likelihood that he even encounters non-white people is probably pretty small in his agrarian microcosm that he exists in. TLDR: I don't talk poo poo about people because of their colloquialisms, and lecturing to/about them changes NOTHING.

Now see here, Nazi...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
How do you even have a swastika brush anyway? Wouldn't it need to be a stamp?

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
I think it's more of a bowie knife, iirc.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Awesome mechanical success: Just used the bread trick to remove a pilot bearing. I can't stop giggling like a little kid at the ease, beauty and absurdity of it all.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

joat mon posted:

Awesome mechanical success: Just used the bread trick to remove a pilot bearing. I can't stop giggling like a little kid at the ease, beauty and absurdity of it all.

I googled this.

No idea how someone came up with using bread as a malleable hydraulic medium, but poo poo, it works...

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

metaxus posted:

I googled this.

No idea how someone came up with using bread as a malleable hydraulic medium, but poo poo, it works...

Yeah, not up on pilot bearing removal but white bread is a godsend for DIY plumbing jobs where water is in the line. Shove bread into the tubing to temporarily block flow of stagnate water then solder. Bread dissolves.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

So first, I didn't say a thing about you except "I don't know you so I'm not assuming anything about you".

Second, if you're going to refute my argument, refute the core: acceptance / ignoring is tacit approval.

Third: yes, dropping the n-bomb is propagating racism, because it is a racist and derogatory term. It's not the same as using the word "Xerox" to mean photocopy, or "kleenex" to mean facial tissue. It's a word that was literally invented to describe African slaves as something less than human.

Fourth: lecturing isn't necessary - even stopping the conversation with a "really?" look for a few seconds makes it clear that you're not ok with casual racism, and helps to de-normalize the behaviour. This can also be used with sexism, xenophobia, transphobia, and other relatively common forms of bias that make the world a worse place a little bit at a time.

Finally: you're right, unsophisticated hicks who have grown up in an environment where casual racism is acceptable and consistent aren't the problem with America today - the real problem is the attitude of people who know better that microaggressions aren't worth countering. Many small things add up to large patterns of behaviour, whether conscious or un-, and can result in things like neo-nazis and Klansmen marching unmasked in the streets of an American city in 2017 because they feel comfortable doing so. Normalization of poor behaviour / things that society shouldn't accept is what leads to them becoming acceptable.

Call me an SJW or whatever, I'm just a white North American male who has come to understand that life is easier for me on the whole, who understands patterns of behaviour and history, and who would like things to be fairer in general for all people. I'm not judging you, but if I didn't say something here I'd be disappointed in myself for contributing to the normalization of casual racism.

Hopefully end derail? On my phone and don't have a mechanical failure photo handy. Sorry, mods.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
A dude at work said "porch monkeys" yesterday and literally did not know it was a racist thing (he wasn't even talking about black people). I cringed and told him quietly 'hey man, that's racist. You can't say porch monkeys'

So even when it's not meant to be racist, when it's just shocking ignorance or stupidity, sometimes people need a little nudge to let them know they're doing something embarrassing.

e: vvv lol maybe we should make that video part of our training program

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 26, 2017

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

theres a will theres moe posted:

A dude at work said "porch monkeys" yesterday and literally did not know it was a racist thing (he wasn't even talking about black people). I cringed and told him quietly 'hey man, that's racist. You can't say porch monkeys'

So even when it's not meant to be racist, when it's just shocking ignorance or stupidity, sometimes people need a little nudge to let them know they're doing something embarrassing.

Do you work at Mooby's?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qc0akWRBQk

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://fat.gfycat.com/ThinNimbleAfricanharrierhawk.webm

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

NASCAR sponsored by Hot Wheels

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

joat mon posted:

I'm upset that I just learned about this and also according to YouTube I've seen that video before.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

"I wonder why that tire burst into flames and why this wheel well is still smoking! Oh well, just put a new one on!....

....oops"

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
I'm the guy standing there scratching my rear end while leaning on the fire extinguisher.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I'd like to see the 30 seconds before and after that.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Godholio posted:

I'd like to see the 30 seconds before and after that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM412bojrdA

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That was a great video even before the dude with the extinguisher biffed it and the driver reacted in disgust. :lol:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

guys politics chat might hurt feelings we can't do that here I'm gonna tell

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Thanks for posting the video, the safety crew falling was fantastic

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

gif of Fire Extinguisher Man:

e: it's been a long day and I can't be hosed to remember how to embed mp4s or webms, whichever gfycat uses

e2: vvv Looks like you had a long day too :haw: - I just used the .gif url, it's not as smooth as the original but the man still falls over so I consider it a victory

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 27, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That sums up my day pretty well.

Also am I doing this right?

e: damnit we both tried to ninja in multiple edits. yeah it's been a real loving long day.
e2: someone needs to mate that video up with Yakety Sax

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 27, 2017

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

e2: someone needs to mate that video up with Yakety Sax the Dixie Horn

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

That sums up my day pretty well.

Also am I doing this right?

e: damnit we both tried to ninja in multiple edits. yeah it's been a real loving long day.
e2: someone needs to mate that video up with Yakety Sax

Did you say Yakety sax?

http://bennyhillthis.com/

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Horrible Derailing Failures

(please stop)

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Adiabatic posted:

Horrible Derailing Failures

(please stop)

:colbert:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I fought installing a turnbuckle for an hour today until I looked super-close. Someone had so perfectly cross-threaded it that the lefthanded end had both threadforms in it. I could spin a right-handed bolt into both ends of the turnbuckle.

My potato's lens is cracked and smeared with grease, hydraulic fluid, jet fuel, or something, so this is the best pic I could get. That's both left- and right-hand thread 1/4-28.

That's a work of art.

And by "art" I mean ":stonklol:".