Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Some games are just loving nightmares to play if ported from PC or if developed for cross-platform. I guess from playing PC games forever I always thought developers did what ropekid stated where you develop for PC first then have a different team port over. I mean pillars for console does look pretty good I guess and if console players have never played nor heard of it then I hope they pick it up and play the poo poo out of it. But to me playing a crpg like pillars is a purely PC experience. And I'm sure that stems from strictly playing those games on PC for 20 years. I can think of two games on my PS4 that I also have on my PC where I wish I never pulled the trigger. Diablo 3 and invisible inc. invisible Inc is ok. It's just cycling through inventory and movement spaces, selecting characters. Diablo 3 it's pretty much everything. Inventory, menus, even triggering certain abilities will net unforseen circumstances like flying across the loving screen. With a mouse you just click where you want to leap to. So easy. Even in Witcher 3 on console going through all the menus and inventory was sort of a hosed up mess. So yeah I'm glad the pillars team is keeping it old-school. None of my business of course but I assume it was a Paradox idea considering they're porting all of their games minus the ones they actually develop in house.

GrumpyGoesWest fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Aug 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

rope kid posted:

"How would this work on a console?" and my answer is always, "I don't know or care."

This is why you guys are the best. :glomp:

Another company that did this quite well was the Divinity Original sin guys, they just straight up made 2 separete interfaces, and things like inventory and crafting work differently in both.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Eddain posted:

Mass Effect Andromeda limited you to 3 hotkeys and took away your control over squadmate abilities as well.

What does this have to do with anything? Mass Effect has always been a console series, and controllers didn't suddenly lose a large amount of buttons in the generation transition...

EDIT: Glad to hear that the primary concern is for PC players with the development of Deadfire. Speaking of which, it makes me wonder how far Obsidian is with the talks with potential publishers for the game, and what the contract for the port of the original looks like. Considering Paradox is putting in all of the resources, I expect they also want to reap most of the profits for their labor there. But I don't know how this stuff works behind the scenes.

Fair Bear Maiden fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Aug 26, 2017

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Eddain posted:

Mass Effect Andromeda limited you to 3 hotkeys and took away your control over squadmate abilities as well.

That didn't even have to do with KB/M, it was them trying to align the SP with the multiplayer. They took away pausing in ME:A as well along the same lines. I actually started reaching over to my keyboard to switch combat profiles because the controller mapping was so bizarre.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

rope kid posted:

We've already shown a village, Tikiwara, that has dramatically different architecture. Queen's Berth is the Vailian district, the bathhouse was built by the Vailians, and Arkemyr is an Aedyran who built his manor in the city. Serpent's Crown, The Gullet, and the Sacred Stair are all almost entirely Huana architecture.
I've missed that one. Nice to hear there's variation. I always thought the southern areas seemed pretty interesting every time they were mentioned in the first game.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Is there an official map for the whole of Eora yet?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

moot the hopple posted:

Is there an official map for the whole of Eora yet?

i think they said there's no plans to ever make one

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

AriadneThread posted:

i think they said there's no plans to ever make one

I kinda like this, reminds me of Richard Morgan books.

...also reminds me of that bit in Reamde where a geologist complains about how implausible fantasy maps are.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Scorchy posted:

If the UI is done in a more extensible format this time, I'd probably spend some time poking at it to mod a more tablet friendly interface. I have a Surface and I've always thought these games could work well. Civ V did quite a good job of it and that was at least as complicated.

See rope kid, it's for that sort of things that you need to push a SDK or some kind of mod-friendliness for PoE2.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I didn't hear anything about not compromising to make sure it's portable to a tabletop boardgame

What I'm saying is, turn based

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

The TTRPG doesn't share much, mechanically, with the CRPG.

Also, a lot of us would love to make a turn-based tactics Pillars game.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Oh I was thinking more like a dungeon crawler style tabletop game

Please feel free to compromise for that

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Turn based strategy game set in the Saints War

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Gimmie a Tyranny game about some massive cross faction war and make it all turn based and tactical and poo poo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

rope kid posted:

A lot of us hope you get to do so, someday! :)

Just got into the White March on my current playthrough. Playing a Bleak Walker Death Godlike who acts like a robot/alien (but one who does the Right Thing, so mostly Rational/Cruel/Stoic with a dash of Aggressive)

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Finally stuck too it and played through the entire game and dlc. Thought it was pretty good, I really like the ending slides and how they gave closure for alot of the major quests and companions.

Game was pretty hard till I got my main guy lvl 16 and I could buy lvl 15 adventurers and with reloads make a whole bunch of classes to play with the system. After this the game was super easy even with the boosted enemies. I didn't boost WM2 because I wanted to just play through the story without hard fight but with the knowledge I learned right after it I could of respecced my party to easily power through it. The big thing was making my two tanks, tanky and hit hard just not fast. I played on potd because larger fights are more fun.

My party was paladin, riposte rogue tank, barb(replaced by ranger in WM), wizard, priest, druid. I'll prob replay it sometime before the sequel comes out because the combat was alot of fun.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Aug 27, 2017

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

funmanguy posted:

Gimmie a Tyranny game about some massive cross faction war and make it all turn based and tactical and poo poo.

Yeah XCOM2, only on Eora (and with better strategy layer). Here's your keep management.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
whens the pillars dating sim spin-off being releasded?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

2house2fly posted:

Turn based strategy game set in the Saints War

That Mario tactics game that's coming out is pretty similar.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

rope kid posted:

It's extremely rare that anyone brings up non-PC interface questions like, "How would this work on a tablet?" or "How would this work on a console?" and my answer is always, "I don't know or care."

If we develop a game that's intended to be cross-platform, I have no problem entertaining those questions, but Pillars and Deadfire are both being developed for Windows/Mac/Linux, and that's it. I am not willing to compromise any aspect of the game's design for the possibility that maybe someday someone will want to put it on another platform.

rope kid posted:

With posts like these, how can anyone not love you? :swoon:

Also I really enjoyed your blog post on balance in single-player CRPGs.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

rope kid posted:

Turn based Poe would be a lot of fun.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

They could go FO Tactics and make a PoE game where you get to play as a fascist but they already made Tyranny, and look how that turned out

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Base the the turn-based game on the different wars in Pillars history. I would love to play in the Saint's War.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Basic Chunnel posted:

They could go FO Tactics and make a PoE game where you get to play as a fascist but they already made Tyranny, and look how that turned out

i agree, a tactics centered turn based poe game would be fun and enjoyable, just like tyranny.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It would also be instantly forgotten, much like Fallout Tactics, and Tyranny

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Basic Chunnel posted:

It would also be instantly forgotten, much like Fallout Tactics, and Tyranny

I enjoyed tyranny a great deal and have replayed through it a few times. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it, but your personal experience is far from a universal truth.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
is Tyranny turn based? Or particularly tactical?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

2house2fly posted:

is Tyranny turn based? Or particularly tactical?

It's the Torment to PoE's Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I thought that was Tides of Numenara.

Tyranny's much more mechanically proficient that Torment was.
I can't get into it though. I just don't want to be a pawn of a facist regime.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

ChrisBTY posted:

There is a "good" path, if that's the only thing holding you back.

I found the world, characters, and overall writing of Tyranny to be far beyond what PoE has to offer, but the combat is extraordinarily tedious and uninspired. The game is also quite short with a very lackluster ending. Overall verdict: "eh". It was worth playing.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
More RPGs should be Tyranny-length, to be honest. And yes, I'll always be a Tyranny apologist, it's fun.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Vargs posted:

There is a "good" path, if that's the only thing holding you back.

I found the world, characters, and overall writing of Tyranny to be far beyond what PoE has to offer, but the combat is extraordinarily tedious and uninspired. The game is also quite short with a very lackluster ending. Overall verdict: "eh". It was worth playing.

Yeah, the lack of enemy diversity makes combat a huge chore after a while, but my main problem is that the game seems weirdly reluctant to embrace it's own premise. To name one example, I really wanted to play Fantasy Judge Dredd but 90% of the game is just generic adventurer poo poo; DA:I incidentally included judging prisoners and yet it contains just about as much of it as Tyranny, a game where that is specifically your job. Also not a big fan of being forced to betray Kyros, like I get why from a plot perspective but it just seems really bizarre that they chose to write the game in such a way that it was the only option.

There are some upcoming DLCs that are supposed to fix some of this, but frankly I'm pretty strongly doubtful how much of an impact they'll make; I feel the structure of the plot is more of a problem then a lack of content and I don't think the current writing staff understand what makes the setting actually appealing to me.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

ChrisBTY posted:

You don't have to be, and kind of actually can't be though the upcoming DLC is supposed to fix that spoiled part.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

There are two things I'll always love abt Tyranny. First is Obsidz' woeful underestimation of not only gamers' willingness to roleplay as Adolf Eichmann (and specifically "guy just being a professional, coincidentally a professional fascist") but their desire to do so. Second, that the guy I saw giving a presentation on how "but thou must" non-choices are bad was the lead on a game featuring a story inflection point where all choices loop dialogue except the one that starts combat and dings your reputation.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Aug 28, 2017

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I absolutely loved Tyranny, the writing was great

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Doesn't help that the marketing for this was all about how you'll be an evil tyrant's lackey, so I imagine a lot of those who aren't into the be evil thing got turned off from the get go, meanwhile those who bought into it wholesale found it not evil enough.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Kurtofan posted:

I absolutely loved Tyranny, the writing was great

But combat was poo poo.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

While I didn't enjoy it as much as PoE, my only real complain against Tyranny is that the last act is rushed, and then the story just ends just as I'm getting pumped for the fourth act and kicking Kyros's arse - but you don't even get to meet him.

Obvious clifhanger and shameless setup for a sequel, which would be more tolerable if they announced that yea Tyranny 2 is definitely in the works.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Furism posted:

But combat was poo poo.

just like planescape torment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Furism posted:

Yeah XCOM2, only on Eora (and with better strategy layer). Here's your keep management.

XCOM style combat with Pillars/Infinity style exploration and story would be a thing I would spend a lot of money on

• Locked thread