Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

I was going to do a LP of Age of Decadence, but then I discovered this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3821199&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=3

It's unfinished and "locked for archiving." Does that mean I can go ahead with my LP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Janissary Hop posted:

I was going to a LP of Age of Decadence, but then I discovered this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3722993&pagenumber=20#lastpost

It's unfinished and "locked for archiving." Does that mean I can go ahead with my LP?

You know, you don't have to wait for another thread to die to LP the same game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
LPs are distinct enough that there can be multiple LPs of the same game running at the same time. Knock yourself out.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Thanks, I wanted to make sure I'm not stepping on anyone's toes.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Janissary Hop posted:

this is not a thing. don't let anyone ever tell you this is a thing. if someone tries to tell you that this is a thing, they are lying.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Janissary Hop posted:

There's no reason to ever worry about that. There are five archived Final Fantasy 6 LPs already with another one currently being made by someone else. I'm sure there are more examples of tons of people doing an LP of the same game but none of them are coming to mind right now.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Chrono Trigger has 5 archived LPs

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Most games in the Final Fantasy and Legend of Zelda series have at least two archived LPs. There are two currently ongoing LPs of Rune Factory 4 (ThornBrain's and Truthkeeper's, IIRC), and at least three ongoing Breath of the Wild LPs (ThornBrain's, Mega64's, and Ricdesi's).

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I think the only game that straight-up is barred from further LP Archival is Dwarf Fortress, and the popular ones usually end up getting privately archive hosted anyway.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Janissary Hop posted:

If you aren't stepping on toes you aren't living Let's Player life to the fullest.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

Janissary Hop posted:

I did a Link's Awakening thread at the same time DICKS FOR DINNER had one running, I just made mine... ah... different enough to matter.

Multiple threads for the same game can offer different takes while a game is still fresh on our minds. Unless you literally hijack someone else's thread, you're not "stepping on toes."

:lol: at the idea of "lp turf."

Putty posted:

If you aren't stepping on toes you aren't living Let's Player life to the fullest.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Let's just say its a good thing Chip backed off from MGSV while my thread was up else I was gonna have to step if he tried getting up in my grill.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
yo, nobody better LP Shadows of the Empire or ima come after y'all! LP knife fight, you better believe it!!!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Please LP Shadows of the Empire. The last two morons who took a whack at it were godawful.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
In fact. everyone should LP Shadows of the Empire. Make it a rite of passage, like Super Mario World on Youtube.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Putty posted:

To make an LP of a game is to piss allover it and declare it yours, to treat it as anything lesser is cowardice.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
My next LP will be whatever forums user DICKS FOR DINNER posts in the sandcastle.

LawlessPlay
Aug 28, 2017
Newbie Let's Player here. I've just published the final episode of my first let's play and although I feel I've made good progress when I compare my first video to my last I know I still have a lot of work to do.

I really enjoyed the process and I have decided to double up on my lp's to do a little experimenting with episode length and game genres.

Hoping to get some advice/feedback on how I'm doing. I'm working on making an outro/intro for my next lp's but they're not in this one.

Game: Hellblade: Senuas Sacrifice

LawlessPlays: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Episode 15 - The End https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5ngPJyyxRQ

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

LawlessPlay posted:

I'm working on making an outro/intro for my next lp's but they're not in this one.
Don't. Unless they are extremely well done they just annoy people.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

It's probably better to post the first video of your next series rather than the last one of a finished one, that way you can actually adopt all the suggestions here.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Also apparently that game is really good. I don't wanna watch the last episode since I haven't played it for fear of spoilers.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

LawlessPlay posted:

Hoping to get some advice/feedback on how I'm doing. I'm working on making an outro/intro for my next lp's but they're not in this one.

Either do some noise removal, speak up so you don't have to boost your audio by a poo poo ton in post, or turn up the gain on your mic itself before you record your commentary, because I'm hearing a lot of white noise. And that white noise mostly comes from boosting your audio in post by a huge amount. (Or if you use Windows' 'microphone boost' option) Either way it makes your overall output sound gross and distracting. Go to the Tech Fort for some guides to get an idea on how to process your audio.

Next problem I have is your commentary. So, I only managed to listen to you for around 3 minutes before I couldn't take much more. I'll be honest, your commentary is boring. Most of what you said was short reactionary phases like: "Oh poo poo! [...]", "Oh god! [...]", "What's happening?" Like, do you have nothing better to say? I get there is an appeal to blind LPing, but for god's sake your commentary has to really sell it to the viewer if you want them to keep watching! For example, if you were doing this game blind you could have analyzed what was happening on screen in relation to the player character. And I don't mean watching something happen and going, "Wow, that's messed up." I mean really lean in on the armchair psychiatric angle and really dig into what this imagery represents. You might be wrong and off-base, but at least you have something interesting to say instead of, "Oh poo poo! A thing happened!"

Really, I think you could benefit from sampling some other people's work on this subforum. You might learn something, and maybe you'll have a better idea of what you want to do with the LP genre than what you've got going on right now. I believe in you.

Also, I really hope you didn't drop ten bucks just so you could pimp your youtube channel, because you could have done that for free on r/letsplay.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 28, 2017

LawlessPlay
Aug 28, 2017

Combat Lobster posted:

Either do some noise removal, speak up so you don't have to boost your audio by a poo poo ton in post, or turn up the gain on your mic itself before you record your commentary, because I'm hearing a lot of white noise. And that white noise mostly comes from boosting your audio in post by a huge amount. (Or if you use Windows' 'microphone boost' option) Either way it makes your overall output sound gross and distracting. Go to the Tech Fort for some guides to get an idea on how to process your audio.

Next problem I have is your commentary. So, I only managed to listen to you for around 3 minutes before I couldn't take much more. I'll be honest, your commentary is boring. Most of what you said was short reactionary phases like: "Oh poo poo! [...]", "Oh god! [...]", "What's happening?" Like, do you have nothing better to say? I get there is an appeal to blind LPing, but for god's sake your commentary has to really sell it to the viewer if you want them to keep watching! For example, if you were doing this game blind you could have analyzed what was happening on screen in relation to the player character. And I don't mean watching something happen and going, "Wow, that's messed up." I mean really lean in on the armchair psychiatric angle and really dig into what this imagery represents. You might be wrong and off-base, but at least you have something interesting to say instead of, "Oh poo poo! A thing happened!"

Really, I think you could benefit from sampling some other people's work on this subforum. You might learn something, and maybe you'll have a better idea of what you want to do with the LP genre than what you've got going on right now. I believe in you.

Also, I really hope you didn't drop ten bucks just so you could pimp your youtube channel, because you could have done that for free on r/letsplay.

Thank you so much for the honest feedback. Don't worry I'm not trying to pimp anything out I dropped the 10 bucks for this exact reason. I'm new to this game and I'm trying to learn. I only started posting videos like 2 weeks ago after all. I'm going to work on everything you told me and don't worry I'll be back. I have been looking at some stuff but I'm a bit confused by all the screenshot posts if I'm being honest. Is it easier to have discussions in this type of post?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
some people just like screen shot lps. it's a stylistic thing.

LawlessPlay
Aug 28, 2017

Putty posted:

Also apparently that game is really good. I don't wanna watch the last episode since I haven't played it for fear of spoilers.

My bad :) I actually only found out this place existed today when I was looking for the best places to get some feedback and learn. Next time I'll post a earlier vid once I feel I've fixed my problems.

Also it is an awesome game. I recommend it to anyone.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Blind Sally posted:

some people just like screen shot lps. it's a stylistic thing.

It's like the difference between text chat and voice chat. They're both useful tools, but you can do things with one that you can't do with the other, and some people have preferences about which they use.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The first ever LPs were SSLPs, and they've stuck around. They've kept the presence they have because for certain types of games, video is actively a hindrance, while screenshots allow for very precise control over how information is presented, how commentary is interspersed, and, ultimately, how efficiently the end product can be consumed. There are games - older RPGs and VNs and a lot of strategy - where video would just be dull, and where there is no need to match watching time to gameplay time second for second. This isn't to say, of course, that any game can't be done or even done well in one format or another - right now we've got VLPs of JRPGs and an SSLP of a Platinum game going - just, they have their strengths and weaknesses to play to.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
The first SSLP was discovered by hermit adventurer Slowbeef in the tombs of the ancient Egyptian aliens from that Yugioh show. Hieroglyphics were used to display dialogue and ask people to like and subscribe.

Also found was a mysterious crystal skull supposedly belonging to powerful King of Hatred.

Putty fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 29, 2017

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Stay out of my fanfiction folder.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Soon I will unite the 7 Original Let's Plays, and with their power I shall destroy the LP Subforum :devil:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Fedule posted:

The first ever LPs were SSLPs, and they've stuck around. They've kept the presence they have because for certain types of games, video is actively a hindrance, while screenshots allow for very precise control over how information is presented, how commentary is interspersed, and, ultimately, how efficiently the end product can be consumed. There are games - older RPGs and VNs and a lot of strategy - where video would just be dull, and where there is no need to match watching time to gameplay time second for second. This isn't to say, of course, that any game can't be done or even done well in one format or another - right now we've got VLPs of JRPGs and an SSLP of a Platinum game going - just, they have their strengths and weaknesses to play to.

Literally in catboy's case, since that only ended last year after a 10+ year sojourn.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Grapplejack posted:

Literally in catboy's case, since that only ended last year after a 10+ year sojourn.
I'm not sure what part of quote contains anything relevant to your response.

The only "catboy" the LP master list brings up is ShadowCatboy, and his last LP ended in 2011.

LawlessPlay
Aug 28, 2017

Fedule posted:

The first ever LPs were SSLPs, and they've stuck around. They've kept the presence they have because, for certain types of games, video is actively a hindrance, while screenshots allow for very precise control over how information is presented, how commentary is interspersed, and, ultimately, how efficiently the end product can be consumed. There are games - older RPGs and VNs and a lot of strategy - where video would just be dull, and where there is no need to match watching time to gameplay time second for second. This isn't to say, of course, that any game can't be done or even done well in one format or another - right now we've got VLPs of JRPGs and an SSLP of a Platinum game going - just, they have their strengths and weaknesses to play to.

Thank you for the info. Don't get me wrong I think they're cool and I really respect the amount of work some of you guys put into them.

I've already added noise suppression to my next lp's but it's not the end of my audio problems, at this point am assuming it's hardware related. As I try to get reps in commentating over action games (I thought they'd be more entertaining to watch) it's difficult to make it not poo poo. I like going in blind but I'm really struggling not to sound repetitive in my reactions. Lots of "oh poo poo" "gently caress yeah" type moments. But I'm also playing a smaller game in 15-minute chunks which I feel is easier to be reactionary and not boring. So maybe that's the way to go in the future.

Thank you to anyone who gave advice. I know where I need to work and I look forward to one day sharing a thread with you guys once it's worthy of not being poo poo.
Until then I'll be skulking in the shadows stealing all your secrets.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

LawlessPlay posted:

Thank you for the info. Don't get me wrong I think they're cool and I really respect the amount of work some of you guys put into them.

I've already added noise suppression to my next lp's but it's not the end of my audio problems, at this point am assuming it's hardware related. As I try to get reps in commentating over action games (I thought they'd be more entertaining to watch) it's difficult to make it not poo poo. I like going in blind but I'm really struggling not to sound repetitive in my reactions. Lots of "oh poo poo" "gently caress yeah" type moments. But I'm also playing a smaller game in 15-minute chunks which I feel is easier to be reactionary and not boring. So maybe that's the way to go in the future.

Thank you to anyone who gave advice. I know where I need to work and I look forward to one day sharing a thread with you guys once it's worthy of not being poo poo.
Until then I'll be skulking in the shadows stealing all your secrets.

If your difficulty with reactions is not having them be repetitive, it might be better to avoid reacting needlessly in the first place. There's no formula for figuring out how often you need to speak in an LP. If you can't think of any reaction beyond saying "Oh man!" or some variation every minute, you may be better suited by just staying quiet and waiting until something worth talking about comes along.

LawlessPlay
Aug 28, 2017

chitoryu12 posted:

If your difficulty with reactions is not having them be repetitive, it might be better to avoid reacting needlessly in the first place. There's no formula for figuring out how often you need to speak in an LP. If you can't think of any reaction beyond saying "Oh man!" or some variation every minute, you may be better suited by just staying quiet and waiting until something worth talking about comes along.

Yeah, I think I agree with you. I'm trying to avoid dead air but it just isn't worth it. Once my current lp's are done I think I'll attempt a game with more strategy involved. That way the conversation might flow more naturally when talking about plans and what not. I would love to do Divinity Original Sins 2 when it comes out but that would take some COMMITMENT. If I planned to finish it. I'll figure it out :) thanks for the tip.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Bit of an odd question, but has there ever been a case of LP plagiarism?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Mraagvpeine posted:

Bit of an odd question, but has there ever been a case of LP plagiarism?

There was that one guy who tried to repost OFS's FFTA LP.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

LawlessPlay posted:

Yeah, I think I agree with you. I'm trying to avoid dead air but it just isn't worth it. Once my current lp's are done I think I'll attempt a game with more strategy involved. That way the conversation might flow more naturally when talking about plans and what not. I would love to do Divinity Original Sins 2 when it comes out but that would take some COMMITMENT. If I planned to finish it. I'll figure it out :) thanks for the tip.

Having dead air isn't really a bad thing, in fact, you can sometimes use dead air to your benefit. For example I make it a personal rule to never talk over what I deem to be 'important set pieces'. This could range anywhere from cutscenes (both speaking and text-only), specific audible cues like a shift in soundtrack to indicate something is happening, and even whole boss fights. I do this to allow the game to speak for itself rather than me speak for it. (Also because sometimes I'm not in the mood to have to think of something to say.)

If you're having trouble finding things to say, it might help to take some time to get to know the game you're playing before you decide to record it. It becomes less of a juggle when you know what you're doing as oppose to figuring out both the game and your commentary.

It really isn't going to do you any good to chase after those Day One LPs, especially when you're starting out; because while it might seem like a good idea to play the SEO game in the short term you're ultimately just going to end up with a subpar result and nothing to really show for it. Trust me, you don't wanna end up like the sad sacks over at r/letsplay who keep chanting "Why am I not growing an audience!?" Like I said, you're better off in the long term to LP something you're familiar with and have strong feelings for, because the quality of your commentary will definitely improve when you know what you're going to say and how to say it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Combat Lobster posted:

It really isn't going to do you any good to chase after those Day One LPs, especially when you're starting out; because while it might seem like a good idea to play the SEO game in the short term you're ultimately just going to end up with a subpar result and nothing to really show for it. Trust me, you don't wanna end up like the sad sacks over at r/letsplay who keep chanting "Why am I not growing an audience!?" Like I said, you're better off in the long term to LP something you're familiar with and have strong feelings for, because the quality of your commentary will definitely improve when you know what you're going to say and how to say it.

Also, from a casual viewer's perspective, I can look up a thousand day one LPs of some yahoo being overly shocked at a new game. What's gonna make your blind LP stand out from the rest? The Geop Dark Souls one worked because he had a terrible good friend who knew the game and could guide him through sections where the viewer would get bored watching. The Run Button guys LPing Silent Hill worked (kind of) because they were fun to listen to and it was fun to watch them stumble through a game they genuinely enjoyed a lot.

I mean, bring something interesting/fun to the table if you're gonna do an LP. You'll do much better at it if you're invested, and after doing an LP like that, you'll be able to bring that new skill to a blind LP. Or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Also, the game itself doesn't have to be overly interesting depending on showmanship. I went out of my way to find all the plot I could in my Dog's Life LP, a game with a fairly generic and dumb plot, but the extra stuff I found gave me something I could do with it. Once I discovered that the radio stations actually contain unique lore I was able to apply it and really spin the hell out of the villain, since I could infer unsaid plot from what I found. Learn a game well enough and you can make poo poo to talk about.