Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Meinberg posted:

Once, I encountered a Jiwa Setan stalking out in the woods. A group of Marshals had been called up in an attempt to drive away the creature, a manifestation of darkness that induced ahedonia and dehydration to lethal degrees. Jiwa Setan were rare, of course, the danger they posed meant that were driven away from settled regions to dwell in the wild places and prey on the weak and lonely. As far as I know, no one has ever attempted to communicate with one before, despite their roughly humanoid form.

I accompanied the mission out to drive off the Jiwa Setan. I'm not sure why I was brought along, that part of my memory remains hazy. But I do remember the other wizards blasting the Jiwa Setan with light magic, seeking to drive off the being. According to their research, it was non-sapient, and thus undeserving of the rights to be given to sapient creatures. But I was not willing to accept that classification. I opened my third eye and made contact with the Jiwa Setan's mind.

They were limited, yes, and largely inhuman in their thought processes. But I could understand the hunger and the urging for more. I could understand that something relatable, something powerful and inquisitive, throbbed just below the surface, unseen by those who did not care to look. Eventually, the Jiwa Setan was driven off, but the strange shape of their mental architecture remains locked into my memories, even to this day.

This is for Professor Podima's extra credit assignment!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

King Burgundy posted:

Oh, and deadline will of course be prior to the end of the month. Your submissions must be in by 2 hours before deadline. So if it remains as above, submissions must be in by 8pm EST on 8/26.

Reminder that the deadline for this is in about an hour.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

A poster to surpass Bifauxnen!
My submission for Podima's extra-credit assignment.

It ran a little long I'll warn.

A Yule Jarvey

When you live in the country, you get gnomes. And when you have gnomes, you get a Jarvey. Never more than one, they're fiercely territorial as my father explained once. But when you hear cussing coming from the garden, manic rants echoing from beneath a chicory bush, that's your Jarvey. Mine had an American accent; I used to wake up early to hear him threaten the gnomes. And then one morning I told my dad I would like to go outside and thank Jarvey for all the work he did. And my father told me, “He wouldn't understand.”

“But … He speaks English.” I retorted, young and confused.

“Well, sort of...”

For those who don't know, a Jarvey is a very large ferret, with a peculiar gift. They go a step beyond mimicking human language - they mimic grammar, word variance and tone. They will speak sentences they've never heard before, composed of bits and pieces of conversation they've heard elsewhere. Jarvies use language to intimidate, you cannot talk to one very long without being called a number of not very nice things. And apart from this predilection, the effect is so like cognizant speech that the Jarvey was, until only 240 years ago, thought to be an intelligent creature. Recent research leaves the question open.

Well, I have a point to submit on the open question of Jarvey intelligence. And strangely enough, it is a Christmas story.

Only ten years old and left to man the house all by myself while my parents went out to acquire other guests, I was feeling pretty unshakable. I just had to stir the gravy and keep the food warm while they were out. But my confidence shrank immediately when I saw the Jarvey's eye's leering at me from a perch on the counter.

“Ha-Hallo Jarvey... What are you doing inside? You're a garden-”

“You listen to me you son of a bitch... I did all the work...”

I blinked a few times. Jarvey's don't make eye contact, it wasn't as though he were staring me down. I knew it was just a defensive mechanism. But I was nervous. I'd never been this close to Jarvey. I latched onto the last thing he said, and responded bewildered, “...You did all the work?”

“I DID ALL THE WORK!..” It screamed, facing the oven. It lowered its head like a predator and said very calmly. “All of these smells... I demand to have these smells, yes, I demand it ... I did all the work...” I shook my head and gestured at the oven. “No. Mom cooked all of that.” He turned to me then, stared me down with his red eyes, only for an instant, to deliver a message he really wanted me to understand.

“You're a CRETIN!...”

By that point I had enough. A simple charm levitated the creature up off the ground calling and wailing “I did all the work!”. I raced for the nearest window to throw the creature out and just as I had swung it open, I spot the strangest of spots. Outside, beneath a tree, was a mound of headless gnomes, piled unceremoniously on top of each other. The tree itself was strung with intestines and sinew. The oldest gnome had been placed on top of the tree, he had spiky white hair that escaped in all directions. There was, unmistakably, a deranged and bloodsoaked Christmas tree in our yard. I turned to Jarvey, suspended against his will and writhing like something mad; he hissed a shrill rebuke, the same it had always been.

“I did all the work ...”

Needless to say, I sent Jarvey off that night with a portion of the family dinner. He got two goose drumsticks and he lapped up the first before I could even cut off the second. When my family got home and heard the story, they understood. Afterall, how could we turn down a neighbor who just wanted to spend the holiday with us? Especially after he had done all the work?

The thing that amazes me about that night isn't a Jarvey sneaking into a home. It's knowing that at the same time we're trying to understand these fantastical creatures that we live next to everyday, they are also trying to understand us. That Jarvey had no idea what a “Christmas” was, could never have. But, it puzzled together by watching us that Christmas Dinner came after decorating the tree – and it wanted Christmas Dinner.

We live surrounded by creatures that we are not necessarily like us. Whom, like Jarvies, we can't talk with and share ideas the same way. That's what makes Care of Magical Creatures so important. Our fantastic beasts can't always tell us what they need, or why they want it, or how to properly care for them and live among them. But by learning to find a common ground and speak a common language, we bridge the gap and can take better care of the animals we derive so much from.

-Paris Mudd-

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

peramene posted:

the worst part about doing a complicated dance routine full-body ritual on camera is being on camera

Past deadline, but just want to confirm, is this entry coming? Don't want your work to be for naught.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

King Burgundy posted:

Past deadline, but just want to confirm, is this entry coming? Don't want your work to be for naught.

Heavens no but thank you <3

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Excellent work all around! I'm a bit pressed for time tonight so once again individual evaluations will come later.

All of those who took part in my extra credit assignment have clearly demonstrated that they bring their own unique experiences and insights to this school, particularly where magical creatures are concerned. I want you to take that idea and expand it further - what is unique about you and your life to this point, and how can you use that to help others learn and grow? The professors aren't the only ones doing the teaching at this school - your fellow students have just as much to share as we do, and in some ways perhaps more. Keep that in mind over the months to come, and it will serve you well.

That being said, I particularly loved the story from Paris Mudd - well-written, memorable, and relatable... but most of all, it's caught upon the central tenet of my approach to Care of Magical Creatures. Our relationship with the creatures of this world should not be that of a superior, or even necessarily a guardian. Instead, it is our responsibility - perhaps even our duty - to find whatever common ground we can so that we can work together to coexist in this strange, beautiful, and terrible world. Well done.

##award Slytherin

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Sadly very few submissions on this one, but I definitely appreciate the couple that came in. Very good work.

My favorite was this one:

Radio! posted:

Hello professor! I saw on the curriculum that we will be studying vampires later in the semester, so I made one.

he is very small

It put a giant smile on my face, and sometimes that is all it takes.

##Award Ravenclaw

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah drat that was incredible. Great work! ##approve Professor Burgundy

(also post more cat pictures. that goes for everyone.)

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

##approve Professor Podima

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Slytherin has been awarded +20 points
Ravenclaw has been awarded +20 points

busb fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 27, 2017

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

A poster to surpass Bifauxnen!
So, Burgandy's extra credit is over, but I made this weird egg. And I have nothing else to do with it really so, i'm just gonna post some pictures of it anyway.

Look guys, it's a weird egg! What kind of egg is that you ask? Snake egg! And it's got pictures of wizards and dementors on it.

... I think it's pretty groovy.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

King Burgundy posted:

Sadly very few submissions on this one, but I definitely appreciate the couple that came in. Very good work.

My favorite was this one:

It put a giant smile on my face, and sometimes that is all it takes.

##Award Ravenclaw

Thank you professor! :drac:

I like the DADA egg, too. An extremely unexpected medium!

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

KhediveRex posted:

So, Burgandy's extra credit is over, but I made this weird egg. And I have nothing else to do with it really so, i'm just gonna post some pictures of it anyway.

Look guys, it's a weird egg! What kind of egg is that you ask? Snake egg! And it's got pictures of wizards and dementors on it.

... I think it's pretty groovy.

Nice!

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
:siren:Month 2 results
As the second month of the school year rolled on, students became quickly entrenched in school life. That was until TrixyPixies were let loose upon the school!

Event1 - TrixyPixies
While most students refused to assist the Professors in this important task, one standout students helped the Professors beyond the token efforts of the others. Mulberry Evergreen (MurmurTwin) stood up at assembly, and received a quiet clap form the rest of the cohort....
That was until Headmaster busb announced cheerfully "and that means +20 points to Slitherin!", at which point the cheers became much more enthusiastic from at least a quarter of the students.

Event2 - Friendship Flatulence
Kashandra (Kashuno) and Grandicap, as young children are wont to do, decided that the sighting of a rare PixieTaur meant they should be friends with the strange beast, and receive its boon. The day of the friendly debate came, and Grandicap was spotted rehearsing in front of his mirror for so long he missed breakfast!
Kashandra on the other hand ate her hearty fill, boasting hhers soon-to-be victory. Then when she glanced to the side, saw Hephzibah lookat at here aghast. Kash's nose had grown large, red and engorged, and sent Kash into a fit of sneezes, with a swarm of moths flying out his nose. She also let out a thunderous gaseous fart, causing the remaining parts of her to take on a reddish hue, and saw her run up to the Hufflepuff Hugglehut in embarrassment, refusing to come out. Some halfhearted excuses from her backers ensued, which Grandicap deflected, and then entered into a flattering description of PixieTaur magic, winning the heart of the creature! Grandicap now has a new best friend!

+20 Points to Gryffindor
+20 Points to Ravenclaw
Grandicap may PM me for an increase to one of their statistics

Quidditch match 2
Hufflepuff vs Ravenclaw

With Hufflepuff looking unenthusiastic after Kashuno's embarrassing failure, Ravenclaw's students thought that this game might be theirs for the taking!
The game began with the school looking on keenly - both teams really needing these points to remain in touch for the House Cup. The game hit a meandering beginning, with scores tit-for-tat for the first 15 minutes at 60-all. Hufflepuff then started hitting their straps. bludgers started going the right way, and edged ahead at 110-90 with everything to play for. Ravenclaw, seeing that momentum shifted against them, called out to their seeker to dive for the snitch, hoping to end it before the score got out of hand. He dived and desperately charged for the ball, but Hufflepuff was just too good, and their seeker cut in front expertly, and snaffled up the snitch with a quick flourish, completing what ended being a resounding victory for House Hufflepuff of 300-150
Hufflepuff cheered their first points in the House Cup, and this month turned out pretty well, all things considered!

+40 points to Hufflepuff

busb fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Aug 27, 2017

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Month 3

d10=7 Month 3 Event 1 Magical History - Individual Challenge
Professor Podima, being the buzzing and excitable professor that he is, has mislaid his third edition copy of "Celts and Belts - Barbaric Tribesmen or People that Just Wanted Pants that Stay Up"! The student to find an the correct version of the textbook will surely be rewarded by the Professor!
This event will test ONE individual from each house on their (Effort * Empathy) + Magical History +6 for Muggleborn
+20 points will be awarded to the winning House

d10=8 Month 3 Event 2 - Drake Kits!
Due to an unfortunate case of vanishing voles across Scandinavia (which if you had studied your textbook would know is the preferred meal for young drakes), a small clutch of drakelings has been shipped to Hogwarts for care and nurturing.
Each House has been tasked both with finding voles and caring for the cute little murderous critters.

This event will test each house on their combined Effort * Empathy +Care of Magical Creatures +6 for Friendly

+20 points will be awarded to the house with the largest combined total
Quidditch Match 3

This month sees Gryffindor play off against Hufflepuff

Three points of order this Month
1) Professor Ernie has gone somewhat missing, but the Headmaster will make sure his classes will be covered
2) Term 1 of the year ends at the completion of this month. Term 2 may have exciting things in store!
3) Hogsmeade cannot be visited by students this month. Professors will still be allowed of course.

Best of luck everyone! Study hard, play well, and enjoy the month!

busb fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 28, 2017

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Current House Cup standings:
Gryffindor: 100
Slytherin: 100

Hufflepuff: 40
Ravenclaw: 40

Hogsmeade items available:
(Students may spend 1 Effort to purchase an item from Hogsmeade The items available this months are:
* Impressive amulet - 10G bullying deals an automatic +3 damage to target regardless of amount of Effort blocked
* Box of tricks - 10G pranking deals an automatic +3 damage to target regardless of amount of Effort blocked
* IntelliQuill (Professor-Only purchasable, does not stack) - 10G - grants the owner +1 to each class while possessed
* Colin Creevy’s Notes (43 available) - 40G - while in possession, the notes’ owner lets them take 1 other student and/or Professor to the Room of Requirement for the entire month(private discord channel)

NB Unless stated otherwise, items are not consumed on use; possessing them grants the benefit indefinitely

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
:siren: gonna set a similar deadline to the previous- in 36.5 hours from this post (so like 10pm EST 29/8)

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

It's about that time to announce this month's extra credit assignment, from Professor Aldous Mudd. For all you who have attended the Mystery Book Club meetings, this should be a breeze!

I have perused a few mystery stories and have assembled a quiz. 30 questions to answer. You must let me, or the Headmaster know of your intent and provide means for an owl to send you your quiz. If you have attended the Mystery Book Club meetings, the cost is 2 Galleons.

For everyone else, it is 3!

You will have one hour upon receiving uour quiz to post your answers in the thread with spoilers. I will trust your reason and judgement when you turn your answers in. I will not tolerate cheating in this quiz.

The ones who do the best in the quiz will be awarded with points.

Well!... best of luck!

AnAnonymousIdiot fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 29, 2017

VivaNova
Sep 12, 2009

The most epic adventure ever undertaken
Hello, pupils! How wonderful to see you all here.

As our dear Professor Ernie seems to have succumbed to a case of Vanishing Sickness, our headmaster invited me to return from retirement and take over his duties for the remainder of the year. I'm Professor Vivian Novis and I'll be teaching Potions and Herbology- both are fascinating and useful subjects which I highly encourage you to pursue excellence in. If there's anything I can do to help you succeed during your time here, do let me know! Though I'm certain you'll find me inherently good-natured, I'm equally committed to your scholastic pursuits- and I won't hesitate to punish any infractions with detention.

My esteemed colleagues have instituted monthly Extra Credit Assignments as a way to award house points. I find this a wonderful practice! Since there isn't much time left in this month, this assignment will be pleasant and quick- a fun way to get to know each other.

Month 3 Extra Credit Assignment
As I'm sure you're aware, our school has quite a following in Muggle pop culture! Before the end of the month, please submit your favorite bit of HP fandom- humorous, ridiculous or impressive. It can be a video, meme, art, fanfic, whatever. I eagerly await your submissions!

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

VivaNova posted:

As our dear Professor Ernie seems to have succumbed to a case of Vanishing Sickness, our headmaster invited me to return from retirement and take over his duties for the remainder of the year. I'm Professor Vivian Novis and I'll be teaching Potions and Herbology- both are fascinating and useful subjects which I highly encourage you to pursue excellence in. If there's anything I can do to help you succeed during your time here, do let me know! Though I'm certain you'll find me inherently good-natured, I'm equally committed to your scholastic pursuits- and I won't hesitate to punish any infractions with detention.

My esteemed colleagues have instituted monthly Extra Credit Assignments as a way to award house points. I find this a wonderful practice! Since there isn't much time left in this month, this assignment will be pleasant and quick- a fun way to get to know each other.

As I'm sure you're aware, our school has quite a following in Muggle pop culture! Before the end of the month, please submit your favorite bit of HP fandom- humorous, ridiculous or impressive. It can be a video, meme, art, fanfic, whatever. I eagerly await your submissions!

I've got nothing better in mind for this month, I may piggy back on this if there is enough interest.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Professor Burgundy, what would you recommend to protect oneself from the new Professor?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

peramene posted:

Professor Burgundy, what would you recommend to protect oneself from the new Professor?

Being a good student is the best protection.

VivaNova
Sep 12, 2009

peramene posted:

Professor Burgundy is correct: excelling in my subjects and submitting assignments will surely prove worthwhile to you.

For inspiration, this is my fav thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9n9wswKMec

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

VivaNova posted:

This has always been my favorite. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx1XIm6q4r4

But as far as a Harry Potter Fanfic that I have actually read, there is Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality. This follows the Harry Potter saga if his Aunt Petunia had married a scientist, and Harry had been raised with the the scientific method as a backbone of his upbringing. It is an interesting take.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
My Life as a Background Slytherin.

http://emilymcgovern.com/category/my-life-as-a-background-slytherin/

<- LAST MONTH

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I JUST randomly ran across that on Facebook the other day and dang it's really funny.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

VivaNova posted:

Professor, please allow me to introduce you to the absolute best thing ever: Wizard People, Dear Reader. It's a full length voiceover of the first Harry Potter movie, done by Brad Neely (the guy behind the animated George Washington song, among other things).

Wizard People, Dear Reader FULL MOVIE: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKZ4nXu_u5CQS3_brOmXa-O9B8599NhiQ

I love it so much I literally named my cat after one of the characters (Professor Catface Meowmers).

Here is a bonus picture of said cat:

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
A hearty welcome to Professor Novis! I'm sure you will find this new generation of students quite enthusiastic.

That reminds me, I must strike off barley stew from the inventory *mutters away*

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

My favorite Harry Potter fanfiction is "Seventh Horcrux' by Emerald Ashes.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10677106/1/Seventh-Horcrux

In which Lord Voldemort fails to kill Harry Potter... and ends up possessing a baby instead. The writing is a cut above most fanfiction out there, and is full of funny takes and great nods to the series. It is also a finished work, and does not take too long to read.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

There is clearly only one answer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-DfrUDHEUs

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
If anyone posts Snape Snape severus Snape Dumbledore! I will place them in detention forever!!!!

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

It's about that time to announce this month's extra credit assignment, from Professor Aldous Mudd. For all you who have attended the Mystery Book Club meetings, this should be a breeze!

I have perused a few mystery stories and have assembled a quiz. 30 questions to answer. You must let me, or the Headmaster know of your intent and provide means for an owl to send you your quiz. If you have attended the Mystery Book Club meetings, the cost is 2 Galleons.

For everyone else, it is 3!

You will have one hour upon receiving uour quiz to post your answers in the thread with spoilers. I will trust your reason and judgement when you turn your answers in. I will not tolerate cheating in this quiz.

The ones who do the best in the quiz will be awarded with points.

Well!... best of luck!

1. Ray's assistant
2. A packet with $5k and a handgun
3. playback pictures movie studio
4. Chip Rockwell, a producer
5. Being a detective
6. Robot assassin
7. It is erased every 24 hours
8. Dabney's oyster bar
9. He was being blackmailed
10. "Murders shriek out"
11. To cover up the existence of Yeager's sex room
14. It was set up so all his lovers would be aware of each other.
16. It was made of gold and jewels but covered in black enamel to hide that.
17. She was hired to get the falcon from Kemidov
18. Kasper Gutman
19. $10k
20. O'Shaughnessy
21. Pete Drossos
22. He saw a woman with spider earrings in a car who asked him to call the police
23. One of his favorite meal was changed and he is a petulant manbaby
24. Fritz Brenner, Archie Goodwin, Saul Panzer, Fred Durkin, Orrie Cather
25. A blackmail ring
26. Jean Estey. She was identified by the owner of the store where she bought her disguise
27. Montenegro

And I ran out of time. Thanks for the quiz prof!

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Well, unless another student turns in his answer. I'm ready to reward Octavius Chelemley with points.

In all seriousness, you have done very well with answering most of the questions. I only wished I picked a better time to issue it out.

AnAnonymousIdiot fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 30, 2017

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

VivaNova posted:

I'd like to introduce folks to New World Magischola, a live action experience loosely based in the world of Harry Potter. Muggles from all over the country and all over the world come together to play wizards in college and have wizard college experiences, ranging from attending classes to saving the world from horrifying abominations from beyond space and time. Everyone involved brings their all, and create stories together that will remain with them for the rest of their lives, in an environment that is open and accommodating for all sorts of folks.

Hundreds of people attend each year, across four different weeks, and live on campus, go to classes, and do all the sorts of things that a college wizard would do. You can see some of the costumes and stuff in use in this album! It may be super-nerdy, but it also is a whole lot of fun.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Individual Scoring for Extra Credit Assignment #2

I enjoyed this quite a lot, for multiple reasons - first, that you chose a magical creature NOT from the index I provided, which shows initiative. Secondly, I like the message you wove into the narrative (and can just imagine the stuffed version now :3:) And third, I liked that you kept the story simple, concise, and to the point. ((Also tarrasques are basically my favorite dumb D&D monster ever.))

Solid citations, I appreciate the attention to detail. I'm not sure that boggarts would become incontinent under any circumstance other than where that is someone's greatest fear, though - they have never been noted as needing to defecate naturally. Brave of you to out your greatest personal fear in a public venue like this, I will say!

Very well written, all told - coupled with an important message. I appreciated reading this! It recognizes an important lesson that many members of the wizarding community have yet to learn themselves. There is quite a great deal that we can learn from the nonhuman members of our wizarding community, and it's a shame that many would overlook that out of pure prejudice.

I applaud your willingness to delve into the less savory side of studying magical creatures - certainly, it's not all sunshine and rainbows. Every creature in this world strives to survive in its own way, even if that might seem repulsive to observers without context. It's an important lesson you've brought to the fore for us today, and I thank you for it! (Also, you're integrating better than you think. Don't fret.)

A ray of sunshine on a gloomy day indeed - in fact, it's a bit nasty outside as I write this, heh. You certainly do well to approach magical creatures without judgment or concern, which is a commendable tactic. One piece of advice I would provide - think about how your next bit of study could be approached a bit more academically. Your style of writing is pleasant to the reader, but if you have any interest in a professional career that requires write-ups, you'll appreciate the opportunity to practice writing a bit more formally.

Much like Comtois, I commend your creativity in going off-list. I am a bit perturbed by your mention of your 'third eye,' though - perhaps we could discuss this communication method at a future date? Making mental contact with unfamiliar creatures can be a dangerous thing for those unprepared as to what they might face, and I want to ensure you're not putting yourself at unnecessary risk. I do admit to a bit of curiosity as to what you learned, though!

~~~

Really, you all did excellently once again. But there were three that I feel were at the front of the pack - Comtois, Keane, and Ozols. It was a tough call, but I think between the three I'm giving the nod to Comtois for what I admit are mildly selfish reasons. (Tarrasques really ARE the best, and the personal touch of a stuffed tarrasque is too adorable for words.) I encourage the other professors who have yet to award points to take Keane and Ozols' submissions into consideration, though! ##award Slytherin

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Meinberg posted:

I'd like to introduce folks to New World Magischola, a live action experience loosely based in the world of Harry Potter. Muggles from all over the country and all over the world come together to play wizards in college and have wizard college experiences, ranging from attending classes to saving the world from horrifying abominations from beyond space and time. Everyone involved brings their all, and create stories together that will remain with them for the rest of their lives, in an environment that is open and accommodating for all sorts of folks.

Hundreds of people attend each year, across four different weeks, and live on campus, go to classes, and do all the sorts of things that a college wizard would do. You can see some of the costumes and stuff in use in this album! It may be super-nerdy, but it also is a whole lot of fun.

((Can confirm this is hella cool - I haven't personally attended but I know quite a few people who have. Multiple times, in several cases!))

VivaNova
Sep 12, 2009

Thank you students for all the submissions I received! They were all worthy, but I must give my points to Radio! Good stuff, this Wizard People, Dear Reader.

huzzah points for Ravenclaw!

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I haven't had enough time to review the entries for Viva's yet this month, so I'll revisit that next month.

Podima posted:

Really, you all did excellently once again. But there were three that I feel were at the front of the pack - Comtois, Keane, and Ozols. It was a tough call, but I think between the three I'm giving the nod to Comtois for what I admit are mildly selfish reasons. (Tarrasques really ARE the best, and the personal touch of a stuffed tarrasque is too adorable for words.) I encourage the other professors who have yet to award points to take Keane and Ozols' submissions into consideration, though! ##award Slytherin

I did really like these. Awarding Keane for his.

##Award Gryffindor

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

##awardravenclaw
##awardravenclaw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Yay! :toot:

• Locked thread