Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Tunicate posted:

Korean TV has a sweetheart deal with licensing soundtracks from literally everything

To give a bit more detail, Korean business laws made it so anyone wanting to distribute music to the Korean market had to work through a Korean owned company. All the big foreign media outfits therefore cut deals with one of a couple Korean companies, most of which have have also since merged together. Those Korean media companies also own the TV networks. So all of the music licensing for TV shows is in house, and that includes all of the music foreign companies licensed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Ah, makes sense. How does the show fare after season 1? Does it get better or does it dip in quality? I'm really enjoying the first season but a lot of it seems a bit rough around the edges.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

tweet my meat posted:

Ah, makes sense. How does the show fare after season 1? Does it get better or does it dip in quality? I'm really enjoying the first season but a lot of it seems a bit rough around the edges.

Kind of both. One of the seasons is a bit drama-heavy at one point in a way that a lot of people don't find particularly entertaining because they're more interested in the game parts of the Genius, but generally the seasons are all quality.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Comrade Gorbash posted:

To give a bit more detail, Korean business laws made it so anyone wanting to distribute music to the Korean market had to work through a Korean owned company. All the big foreign media outfits therefore cut deals with one of a couple Korean companies, most of which have have also since merged together. Those Korean media companies also own the TV networks. So all of the music licensing for TV shows is in house, and that includes all of the music foreign companies licensed out.

Dude, thanks for this. I've asked everybody I can about the weird Korean music licensing thing and never gotten a straight answer.

Also, season 2 has a couple of returning players and your enjoyment of it will hinge on how much you enjoy watching one of them in particular. I hated it. There's not only that, but there are some very punchable asshats who kind of break the spirit of the game in places.

Seasons 3 and 4 are both very very good, however.

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 12, 2017

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I respect Season 2 for its ability to really hammer home how fantastic the other seasons are.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
season 2 is basically what i imagine an american version of the show would be and it is not very good.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I'll probably skip it and just read some recaps then, who returned from season 1 in it?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Doohee nooooooooo

tweet my meat posted:

I’ll probably skip it and just read some recaps then, who returned from season 1 in it?

Just Jinho and Sangmin I think.

Season 2 is worth watching if you like the show. If you’re on the fence about continuing then yeah skip ahead. Or maybe if you finish seasons 3 and 4 and want some bonus eps, come back to season 2 thereafter.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

tweet my meat posted:

I'll probably skip it and just read some recaps then, who returned from season 1 in it?

Nah, you should watch it. Some parts of it are not so good, but it does have some good moments too.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I loved Yoo Jung-hyun, Noh Hong-chul, and Lee Sang-min enough to overlook almost all flaws in season 2.

The one blatant loving over aside, of course.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

rydiafan posted:

I loved Yoo Jung-hyun, Noh Hong-chul, and Lee Sang-min enough to overlook almost all flaws in season 2.

The one blatant loving over aside, of course.

There were two of those. I admit it's arguable but it's the same dickhead being a dumb shitheel in both cases so who cares.

I agree about Hongchul I guess, but he mostly just makes funny faces when bandage man is giving out the rulesets. He seems better suited to more standard variety shows.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
I really liked season 2, but it is like they took all the villains you'd normally get over four seasons and locked them all into one cast. Kind of a reality TV Suicide Squad. Enjoyable, but you're not really rooting for anybody most of the time.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
One thing I feel that the first season was missing a lot was blatantly loving people over, and I like Sangmin a lot so I'll probably check it out.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
You'll love it, then. Season 3 evolves that idea but if that's your thought then season 2 will be good fun.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
By US standards the 'loving over' in season 2 is rather mild. It's still a good season overall, it's just the worst of the 4.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

GuavaMoment posted:

By US standards the 'loving over' in season 2 is rather mild. It's still a good season overall, it's just the worst of the 4.

Disagree? The big moment was planned out, in stages, even. I'd have to dig into the trenches of true American trash to find many comparable examples.

Yelling dumb insults at people is pretty weak by comparison, you know?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
3 introduces a dude that got infamous for "what if we make this person lose?" so...

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Propaganda Machine posted:

Disagree? The big moment was planned out, in stages, even. I'd have to dig into the trenches of true American trash to find many comparable examples.

Yelling dumb insults at people is pretty weak by comparison, you know?

I explained that poorly. What I mean is that in US reality shows, people do terrible things and are completely unrepentant. I can think of lots of examples like (Survivor) anything Jonny Fairplay did or the fake idol Randy got in Gabon, or (Amazing Race) any time the double U-turn is used and agreed upon that the 2nd U-turners waste it on the person who used the 1st U-turn. At least in The Genius people eventually feel terrible about the really devious things they do.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

GuavaMoment posted:

I explained that poorly. What I mean is that in US reality shows, people do terrible things and are completely unrepentant. I can think of lots of examples like (Survivor) anything Jonny Fairplay did or the fake idol Randy got in Gabon, or (Amazing Race) any time the double U-turn is used and agreed upon that the 2nd U-turners waste it on the person who used the 1st U-turn. At least in The Genius people eventually feel terrible about the really devious things they do.

I don't think the person in question did. They knew that what they were doing was lovely, and they put on some crocodile tears, but they were clearly cool with what went down.

It's just a cultural programming difference. For whatever reason, vile people on American primetime sell ads. In East Asia, being a generally respectable human almost seems like a life requirement (wasn't Sangmin embroiled in MASSIVE SCANDAL over...like, taxes, or debt or something?). It was not-cool enough that the show course-corrected immediately.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Season 2 is the dark middle chapter of the Genius saga.

Like the appeal of it is seeing people behave like they do in most reality tv shows, but then ultimately have it backfire in their face. The enjoyment really depends on how much you like the winner.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 14, 2017

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker
https://twitter.com/Bumdidlyump/status/901521474602676226

(Actually season 2)

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
ODK will be putting it up... hopefully subbed. It's not right now, but with Crime Scene it took them around 12-24 hours after posting for them to be added.

http://www.ondemandkorea.com/society-game-season-2-e1.html

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Teek posted:

ODK will be putting it up... hopefully subbed. It's not right now, but with Crime Scene it took them around 12-24 hours after posting for them to be added.

http://www.ondemandkorea.com/society-game-season-2-e1.html

8/25-8/27. No subs. What a loving ripoff :mad:

(Would the subs be on the file itself like Youtube captioning, or on a separate one, or...?)

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Alright, the next Bumdi tweet said they will try to sub episode 1 at least :shobon:

Even if I end up following via ODK, the Bumdi context for the intros was baller. That one politician carried a world-record-setting filibuster against Korea's insanely corrupt former head of state? Hell yeah. I read up on Dearest Leader, but I only even got that far because there were substantial protests against her in the States and I just had to wonder why people were quite so pissed off. And Junseok is a failed politician? Oh, my. I'm also curious about the rapper girl. She seems to have taken the New England attitude from her Amherst experience back home with her. That could be fun.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Propaganda Machine posted:

8/25-8/27. No subs. What a loving ripoff :mad:

(Would the subs be on the file itself like Youtube captioning, or on a separate one, or...?)

Once it's subbed, the episode will have a green "en" below its episode information. Choose the English option when you navigate to the site and you should get English subs on episodes if they're available.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

So I was doing a weekly stream with a friend on this show but all the Genius Season 3 episodes were removed from the daily motion account, what happened?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
you can try asking bumdid on twitter but there's always sketchy pirate site kshowonline http://kshowonline.com/search/the%20genius%20S3

just set the mirror to VIP 2 Full to load from some website called thankstocontact.party. no, i don't know what the hell that is either.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Do the direct download links work?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

A buddy sent me this link: https://www.reddit.com/r/TheGenius/comments/5s7eh9/the_genius_s2_s3_and_society_game_file_links/

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Suspicious Dish posted:

i stopped following this thread because i stopped watching society game so huh apparently there is crime scene 3 and i watched episode 1 last night.

i've expressed it before but i do sometimes wish that they would be a bit more up-front about the actual "rules" of the acting and discovery since there's often like extremely crucial evidence on someone's phone or inside their pockets.

"you can only search people and drill into backstories in the second half of the show" seems like a reasonable assumption but i wish they would just tell us what's going on because that's sort of lamesauce.
Yeah this is where I went too, fell behind/quit on Society Game.

Judging by the posts the new Crime Scene is still good?

Just checked back on this thread because I saw Bumdi tweet they're giving up subbing because of lack of time. But I already saw a thing about how The Genius producer said he's never gonna make that show again so Bumdi moving on isn't as painful a blow as it could've been.

re s2 of The Genius, yeah it has some rough moments, so I don't like it as much as the other seasons, but if you like The Genius there's no way you should just skip it.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
https://twitter.com/Bumdidlyump/status/905436412073279488

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker

Sad, but totally expected. Hopefully someone else picks up where bum left off.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

End of an era. Bum did so much to get me hooked on shows that weren't subbed before like Crime Scene and the Genius.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I starting enjoying strategy reality shows when I started watching Survivor 4 years ago. But I didn't really start loving the genre until I watched the Genius, and that's all thanks to Bumdi.

Did anyone manage to catch the file and/or .srt before it went down?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
drat, all her files are gone already. :(

I really wanted to start Crime Scene but I guess I never will now.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Jamesman posted:

drat, all her files are gone already. :(

I really wanted to start Crime Scene but I guess I never will now.

Everything is already archived, friendo. (and I am downloading every episode myself atm so I will have them myself in case of ??? in the future)

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Exercu posted:

Everything is already archived, friendo. (and I am downloading every episode myself atm so I will have them myself in case of ??? in the future)

Ah, cool beans. Seemed like all the options I was looking at were just dead links, so I didn't think anything previously in the thread would still be usable.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Can I find the subbed first Ep of Society Game S2 anywhere? Manually typing in the link in Bumbdi's farewell post didn't work.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!

qbert posted:

Can I find the subbed first Ep of Society Game S2 anywhere? Manually typing in the link in Bumbdi's farewell post didn't work.

Edit: I'm an idiot, you said society game not crime scene. Ignore meeeee

Eponymous fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

That's a shame.