Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
The Sergeant Dork SPERRG

edit: the :spergin:est snipe

Neophyte fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Missiles self destruct when they lose their target and have no sensors.

How do they know they've lost their target with no sensors? :thunk:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I'm amazed I'm alive after that shitstorm.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

Missiles self destruct when they lose their target and have no sensors.

How do they know they've lost their target with no sensors? :thunk:

They have a radio antenna which receives guidance information from the missile FCS on the ship that launched them and if it tells them "welp I dunno where they are lol" then it blows itself up.

Basically all our missiles are surplus SA2 guidelines with loving space magic nuclear warheads strapped onto them. Guidance FCS is like, two dozen fan songs taped together on the hull of the ship. :ussr:

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 27, 2017

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Look, is it so bad that we don't want TNE warheads drifting around the solar system in perpetuity?

Another Otter
May 14, 2012
Went about as well as I expected, got some good hits in though. Is that :rip: me or am I fuming impotently at a radar screen?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Well I'm happy my ship has done its duty even though killing a crippled enemy isn't particularly glorious.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
I'm stuck on a terrible road trip, and can't get onto the spreadsheet to dorf myself. Can someone please add me to the list, with preference for a missile boat of some kind (a CLAA would be preferable, but a DDG would work too.) TIA.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Leif. posted:

I'm stuck on a terrible road trip, and can't get onto the spreadsheet to dorf myself. Can someone please add me to the list, with preference for a missile boat of some kind (a CLAA would be preferable, but a DDG would work too.) TIA.

Done. You are 97th in line and we are currently passing the 80th Goon for placement.

So far we have eleven Goon deaths and five more having escaped the destruction of their ships.

Special note to Kommando and Another Otter. Both of you are still alive as I pulled you from your Type 8's before sending them off as it was probably going to be a pointless suicide mission. You are currently commanding a fighter squadron each in 3rd fleet.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Saros posted:

Done. You are 97th in line and we are currently passing the 80th Goon for placement.

So far we have eleven Goon deaths and five more having escaped the destruction of their ships.

Special note to Kommando and Another Otter. Both of you are still alive as I pulled you from your Type 8's before sending them off as it was probably going to be a pointless suicide mission. You are currently commanding a fighter squadron each in 3rd fleet.

Suuure you pulled them Saros. We all know about Special Branches secret flash cloning project for officers.

Baron-of-hell
Jul 11, 2016

Saros posted:

Their target is the light carrier Left Obturator Foramen and despite desperate point defence attempts she takes over 130 hits and goes up in flames as her thin armor gives way and magazines breach. Lt-Gen Z the IVth thankfully escapes the inferno.

Holy poo poo that could have been me :gonk:

Although now I feel kinda :smug: that my fighter wings got the last lick in.

God speed guys

I am also wondering where we are going to store the extra fighters from the other carrier? Do we have to ditch them?

Baron-of-hell fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Aug 28, 2017

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Saros posted:

:hist101: Listen up pilots, this is mission is volunteer only. Anybody wearing a red shirt: thank you for volunteering.

Hessi
Oct 28, 2010

Baron-of-hell posted:

I am also wondering where we are going to store the extra fighters from the other carrier? Do we have to ditch them?

We reloaded both squads using the remaining carrier, something we should do again as soon as the fighters are back from their cruiser killing sortie.
If we do not reach a conflict ending agreement with IC, depending on the movements of the remaining IC elements (do they follow 3rd, do they return to their Saturn approach?) we might even ferry them over to Titan if we can ensure that we can reload (slower though) at the shipyard.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Nevets posted:

:hist101: Listen up pilots, this is mission is volunteer only. Anybody wearing a red shirt: thank you for volunteering.

Colorblind Guy: Heh idiots all my clothes are grey

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Hessi posted:

We reloaded both squads using the remaining carrier, something we should do again as soon as the fighters are back from their cruiser killing sortie.
If we do not reach a conflict ending agreement with IC, depending on the movements of the remaining IC elements (do they follow 3rd, do they return to their Saturn approach?) we might even ferry them over to Titan if we can ensure that we can reload (slower though) at the shipyard.

Would overcrowded CVs work? Or is it just too much micro management to be plausible for a LP?

Save room on hangar space and have fighters out constantly. Just get them in to refuel now and again? Fifty percent PD/Interceptors or whatever and 50% bombers so that you're not loving up reloading missiles during a fight?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

That's basically what we're doing. The squadron that doesn't fit in the carrier just cruises along with the fleet until it needs to gas up, then swaps with the one in the carrier. This doesn't work forever and uses incredible amounts of fuel, but it'll get everyone home with no problems at least.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Your crew deployment time will go up too much and you'll end out with useless fighters doing that for more than the shortest of periods.

[e]With the Type 8's gone you have 6000T of fighters and 4000T of hangar space. You can have a handful rotating in and out all the way to Titan and not be too badly exhausted.

Saros fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Aug 29, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Can't you just put all the fighters in a big net and tow them behind the carrier like nuclear armed crabs?

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Can't you just put all the fighters in a big net and tow them behind the carrier like nuclear armed crabs?

That project was supposed to be kept Top Secret!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Is the Sorium worth spending when we could just rebuild the fighters?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

We did just kind of capture a big pile of sorium, other TNEs are generally more valuable, as in there's actually finite amounts of them in the system, sorium can be slow to harvest but gas giants often have lots of it.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Sorium is effectively infinite, there are plenty of gas giants in the galaxy that have enough to last thousands of years. The bottleneck is extraction rate, not total reserves a planet has. For most TNE's it's the other way around, and I'd rather spend the fuel.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

OwlFancier posted:

Deadliest Catch: Mars

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!

OwlFancier posted:

That's one crab battle I don't want us to have to fight.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Crazyeyes24 posted:

That's one crab battle I don't want us to have to fight.

Obey the crab?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Titan Low Orbit

Cathode Raymond was on the bridge of the light carrier Minotaur quietly contemplating his fighter squadron closing on the fleeing corporate ships when the call came.

“Sir” his comms officer piped up, “we have a communication from what appears to be the IC Titan command.”

Cathode tiredly raised himself from his seat. He had slept only fitfully for the past three days of the battle of Titan and the regulation combat stimulants could only take you so far before exhaustion caught up. Most of his crew and the fleet were in no better shape but despite their exhaustion and losses morale was elated. It was apparent to every one of them that they had won a great victory over Titan, perhaps enough to cripple the Corporates and end the war.

“Put it onscreen.”

An image resolved on his main monitor. It was a man in an immaculate suit seated at a desk, in his early 50’s to look at him but Cathode knew him in truth to be over twice that age. The IC Triumvir were familiar figures throughout the system.

“Greetings commander” the man began, “I suppose I should congratulate you on your victory, my officers assure me that there is no longer any realistic hope of holding TItan and that support is too far away to arrive in time.”

“Having accepted that we must look to the future, I am all too well aware of the usual fate of those removed from office by revolution and have no desire to join their ranks.”

The man paused to take in Cathode’s somewhat disheveled state before continuing.

“I am prepared to offer the surrender of Titan and the forces under my command in return for Martian protection and passage offworld. I also believe I could be of great assistance in a negotiated end to this conflict.”

The man gestured at something offscreen.

“As a show of good faith I have ordered my fleeing ships to not fire upon your pursuing fighters and return to Titan for surrender. I hope this is sufficient, if you accept I will stand down my ground forces and order them to likewise surrender as well as disabling our ‘insurance’ nuclear devices scattered throughout the fueling operations.

“Very well,” replied Cathode, “I will assess your offer and get back to you.” With a gesture he shut the comms link and looked expectantly at his tactical officer.

“He appears to be telling the truth” his officer said casting the fleet plot onto the holographic display between them. “The ships are slowing and General Coffeehitler reports the IC ground forces are withdrawing across the board.

“Get me fleet command” Cathode ordered “And somebody better find a way to break the news gently to Cryo, I know he’s a huge fan of righteous justice.”

-----------------------------------------------------

Do we:
  • Accept the Triumvir's offer.
  • Refuse a surrender than is anything but unconditional.
  • Doublecross the Triumvir and hand him over to the TFS anyway.

Accepting would no doubt irritate the Titan Free State who consider the Triumvir something of a prime candidate for the guillotine. While not an out and out monster the Triumvir is widely regarded as never having had much regard for the workers of the corporate state so the TFS would very much like to get their hands on him.

Refusing a conditional surrender runs the risk of the conflict dragging on. If there really are backup nuclear weapons scattered throughout the fueling operations their destruction would no doubt make the Terrans very unhappy and remove much of the leverage we have over the incoming Terran force. However the Triumvir is unlikely to throw away his last leverage so easily.

Doublecrossing the Trimuvir has the least predictable outcome. While the TFS would be very happy it's likely any hidden nukes have a timer or deadman switch of sorts so this option leads to the highest probability of Harvesters turning into Titan's newest debris ring. It would also complicate negotiation of any sort with the IC in the future.

As an addendum General Coffeehitler reports that Marine squads have started judicious targeting of the mercenaries embedded within the Titan Free State militia. So far nobody seems to have noticed or missed them very much.

Saros fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Aug 30, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Accept

Unconditional surrender.

He can't prove he can follow through on his threat so I don't give a poo poo about him.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 30, 2017

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Accept the Triumvir's offer. TFS is not going to be happy but Cryo can explain to them that there are still comrades in chains on Jupiter and Uranus we as Mars and TFS must help. The sooner we can free the outer system, the better for everyone.

gently caress this bougie mentality - UNCONDITIONAL SURRENDER

HiHo ChiRho fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Aug 30, 2017

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
Accept the Triumvir's surrender. The TFS can't get everything they want.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
Accept.

Doublecrossing isn't an option, otherwise we lose the right to negotiate in good faith.

Tactical_Torpedo
Feb 26, 2017

When all else fails?

FIRE EVERYTHING!

Then bravely run away.
Grimey Drawer
Accept. If the TFS want's to raise a stink about it, I'm sure we can spin the "Preventing further TFS lives from being lost" angle to get them to play nice.

Edit: NVM, Discussion in discord changed my opinion. New vote is Unconditional Surrender

Tactical_Torpedo fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 30, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

If those fuckers had any "insurance" they would've blown the harvesters the second they got seized by the workers. We shoulda combed them over more carefully when we first got them to be sure, but I'm about... 85% sure he's bullshitting us. If he isn't, is there any possibility we can have the SB ship park right next to the harvesters and turn the jamming up to max? On the off chance he's not desperately making poo poo up to save his own skin, maybe we can stop the signal from getting through.

Again, though, I seriously doubt the IC seeded nukes among their critical assets, that's the kind of thing that's way too easy for a disgruntled technician to set off and gently caress over The Man. Hold out for unconditional surrender, and make it clear that any nukes the Triumvir may have going off means he's getting summarily :commissar:'d at the end of it instead of a trial and maybe, MAYBE, escaping the guillotine if he's sufficiently contrite. The IC ground forces are a few solid combat cycles away from total collapse, we can totally crush them properly before the IC fleet gets here.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
I'm still going with accepting, but I guess I'd also point out that letting these guys live now may come back to haunt us later. But in the immediate situation I think he's got a strong hand and we shouldn't gently caress with that. Try to confirm the nuclear threat before we agree to anything.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Ask for the location of two "insurance" nukes in areas we already control as a sign of good faith.

I'm off the opinion that we should offer him the chance to live out a quiet, modest life rather than return to the IC.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Just to clarify a pair of things, you don't actually hold the Shipyards or the Harvesters. Both are occupied by the Titan Free State although they are allowing you to use shipyard facilities for repair and producing new missile stocks as a thanks for your assistance.

Intelligence is uncertain about the probability of there being concealed demolition charges amongst critical assets. While the IC relied heavily upon the threat of destroying the infrastructure to hold off the Terrans after declaring independence there is no direct proof such a program was ever carried out.

Saros fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Aug 30, 2017

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

So in order to do this they likely would have had to put nukes on the harvesters when they got to Titan, before the civil war actually started since it would be workers installing the nukes anyway. So the TFS should KNOW if they were placed or not on the fueling operations.

So let's ask the TFS if any of our revolutionary comrades saw any shenanigans happening to the harvesters, which I think are the biggest/hardest to replace pieces of the sorium extraction process anyway.

e: ESPECIALLY if they have control of the harvesters now.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

HiHo ChiRho posted:

So in order to do this they likely would have had to put nukes on the harvesters when they got to Titan, before the civil war actually started since it would be workers installing the nukes anyway. So the TFS should KNOW if they were placed or not on the fueling operations.

So let's ask the TFS if any of our revolutionary comrades saw any shenanigans happening to the harvesters, which I think are the biggest/hardest to replace pieces of the sorium extraction process anyway.

TFS has been extremely concerned about this possibility for a while but so far has not turned up anything solid apart from one small shipyard section that blew up (non nuclear) during the fighting in orbit. Any installation would likely have been carried out by IC military from offworld so there's no guarantee the workers would know anything about it.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Still, at the end of the day it's a prole who has to fly the shuttle/tighten the bolts/whatever, even if it's a suit giving the orders. People talk, rumors spread, a traffic controller notices a weird unlogged trip to the harvesters in the middle of the night.

Hessi
Oct 28, 2010
So given one of the places those insurance nukes (plural) would be placed at would be the harvesters, as a sign of good faith we ask the Triumvir to point us to one of them as a sign of good faith. Then ask TFS to confirm what the guy said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Crazycryodude posted:

Still, at the end of the day it's a prole who has to fly the shuttle/tighten the bolts/whatever, even if it's a suit giving the orders. People talk, rumors spread, a traffic controller notices a weird unlogged trip to the harvesters in the middle of the night.

This could be handled by a top secret branch of IC military that is not stationed here.