Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Mechamaru has to have some kind floodlight on him, right? What's a robot without a floodlight? So turn it on and point it up, buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Danganronpa V3 Demo, Part 1/3

Here's the first part of my DRV3 demo playthrough for anyone interested in seeing the demo but haven't chosen to play it themselves. Or I guess it's also for anyone who wants to hear me give my impressions of the game and talk a little bit about the LP's inner workings.

Since I don't remember if I talked about why I said it later, the reason I say I was deathly afraid of spoilers and therefore also playing the demo, what I meant was that I wasn't sure if the demo would cause me to engage in speculative spoilers. See, the first game's demo used Hiro as the body for the trial, with Sayaka and Junko/Mukuro still being alive in it. As we know, both Sayaka and Mukuro were dead by the start of Trial 1 and Hiro survived all the way through the game. So when I say speculative spoilers, I was worried that the demo was going to pull a similar thing, causing me to wonder if someone was going to live or die based on how the whole Investigation and Trial component worked out. I can safely say though, that the demo avoids this in an amazing manner, though we'll only get to see how next video...

Don't be alarmed when the screen goes black while talking to Hajime. I edited out some DR2 spoilers since the LP has not yet reached that part.

Also, I have no clue why the game's intro came out so stuttery in the recording because it wasn't when I was viewing it. Maybe I recorded at too high a bitrate and OBS didn't like it. That's also why I didn't have any comment on the stutter--it simply wasn't happening when I played. Probably should've just cut it out since it's so frame-y but oh well, the music running behind it is good.

edit: Oh and I guess I should mention, discussion of my demo playthrough is fine but if you want to talk full speculation about the game potential plot and the characters in it, please do so in the Danganronpa megathread where others are doing exactly that. Just be warned that there isn't really a filter on spoilers for DR2, or Ultra Despair Girls or the DR3 anime so, be careful if you're still unspoiled on any of those things.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 27, 2017

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

You missed a couple of characters in the dorm, incidentally. It counts as a separate area so it doesn't show up on the map.

Sessile
Feb 27, 2008

With so many things to push, I'm sure SWERY would love this game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

serefin99 posted:

I doubt Monokuma would even give Kazuichi the chance too. Worst case scenario, Monokuma melts down Mechamaru's body and turns it into a statue of himself. Best case scenario, he just puts the body wherever the rest of the corpses are.

I'm a bit confused as to how he works. Is he not organic at all? How is his soul inside of a robot?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Probably some form of brain-uploading, that's always been a popular thing in sci-fi and some fringe people that's way into transhumanism keep trying to figure out how to make it work.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: We have to talk to Fuyuhiko, Gundham, and Nagito to progress the plot, but we can also talk to everyone while we're at it.

: I'm sure the others already know, but let me tell you just in case... The 2nd floor of Grape House also has guestrooms similar to the ones on the 2nd floor of Strawberry House.

: But instead of being covered with strawberry patterns, they're covered with grape patterns.

: Also...like the guestrooms, there's a similar lounge here as well. There's also a phone in the lounge too. However, instead of the grape button that was on the phone in Strawberry House's lounge...

: There's a strawberry button on the phone in Grape House's lounge.

: Now, I'm just guessing at this point but... It's possible...that we can use those two phones to communicate with each other.
: So the picture on the buttons shows where each phone connects to.

The picture on the buttons shows where each phone connects to. ...That's probably it.

: This ain't funny at all! There's seriously no food anywhere!
: Instead of talking about food all the time... How about you try to find the exit?
: ...Exit? Is that tasty?
: This chick... Even the inside of her head is full of drool...!

: We can't actually talk to Chiaki since she was in the middle of telling us something different.

: Chiaki... When I realized she suddenly disappeared, I couldn't believe she went to you of all people... And now everyone's fathered here all of a sudden. What's going on?
: You better not say...I lured everyone here.
: Well, it's not like that... But you look like you already knew this place was important, so you were totally casing this area...
: ...

So once someone is suspicious of me, anything I do will look suspicious to them, huh. What should I do...?

: Nekomaru also has nothing useful to say other than that we should listen to what everyone else has to say.

: Kehehe... Now then, I shall present to you my discovery...
: I won't let you say such nonsense like "I forgot". Monokuma said it himself before we arrived here. He said there are ship parts in the Funhouse...
: C-Could it be!?
: Kazuichi...and you lowly humans...
: Fall to your knees and show your gratitude to me, the Overlord of Ice of the Destroyed World of Death! Feast your eyes on this!

: Fuhahahahahahahahahaha! Behold! A motor! It's a ship part!
: B-Based on it's extremely small size, isn't that...
: Th-That's just a radio-controlled toy!

: Allow me to tell you a little old story... I was born as a result of a union between a human and a demon, and my existence was shunned by both races... Perhaps it's because nobody has ever bought me a toy before, but I believe this is truly remarkable...
: ...I'm not asking about that! You mean the ship part you found was just some radio-controlled toy!?
: *appears* Teee-heeeee! You totally got tricked! I never said a single word about the ship being real! Stupid! Idiot! Mooooooron! *leaves*

: Looks like...we don't even have the strength...to get upset...
: It might be better...if we leave him alone for a while.

So it was definitely a waste of time to believe Monokuma... If so...what he said about our student profiles might be a lie, too... But...our situation is getting so grim that I can't really focus on that right now...

: I forgot to see if Kazuichi's dialogue changed in a funny way after going into shock... I also forgot to see if Sonia says something different before you talk to Gundham, since...

: This was the very first time I have ever seen a radio-controlled toy. I found it quite fashionable! I was able to hear Gundham's old story as well, so this was quite a wonderful discovery!

...But it wasn't useful at all.

: ...since Sonia now talks about the toy. Oh well, it's not like I haven't missed little lines of text before, and it certainly won't be the last. We'll just assume I missed nothing funny.

: Allow me to give you a brief report.
: Since I'm the one who made this discovery, it's just as important as I am.
: Which means...it's not that important at all.
: ...Just hurry up and say it already.
: Well, it's about the 3rd floor of Grape House...

: Do you remember what Monokuma said about a Monokuma Archive on the 3rd floor...? I actually tried to go there...

: Like the name suggests...it was an archive full of stuff about Monokuma. It reminded me...of those celebrities who build their memorial house in their hometown.

: Then it looks like we don't ever need to go in there. Ever.
: Ah, also...I found a lost child at the Monokuma Archive...
: ...A lost child?
: ...Huh? Where did she go?
: Heeeeey, don't just hide, come on out!

: H-Hello...
: ...So the lost child was you.
: Right!? That's how people react, right!? Well, I had a general idea of how you all would react!

: It's okay...I won't be depressed anymore... I'm used to being treated so poorly... Hehe! How sad! It's so sad to get used to it!
: She seems a little tense...
: Um... Did Monokuma bring you here as well, Monomi?
: Yes...I'm so ashamed of myself...for getting carelessly tricked by him...
: I'm a failure as a teacher! I have no right to guide everyone!
: ...Nobody here considers you a teacher to begin with...

: But I'm honestly happy that you're here!
: ...Huh?
: Hey...are you a complete stuffed animal? Is there any part of you that's still rabbit meat?
: I'm expected to be food!?

: Um...that was the last report, right? Then is it okay if I go now?
: This is what you mentioned earlier, right? About the structure of the Funhouse?
: ...The structure of the Funhouse?
: Well, I've come to a conclusion... The Grape Tower that we're in currently, and the Strawberry Tower we were in earlier...

: I think they're actually the same building.
: The two towers...are the same building, you say!?
: I see...what makes you think that?
: ...Their positions.

: Inside Strawberry House, Strawberry Hall is on your left when your back is facing the elevator, right?

: But inside Grape House, Grape Hall is on your right when your back is facing the elevator, right? And so, if we think about it and put those two together...

: The two towers are the same building, and each house connects to the center... That's the building structure that comes to mind.

: What...? Strawberry Tower and Grape Tower are the same building...?
: But...that might be a possibility...!

: Come on, take a look at that door. Isn't that strawberry image the same one that's on the elevator and telephone? Then, in the same way... Wouldn't that image on the door also be showing where it leads to?
: If that's the case...it would mean that Strawberry House is beyond that door with the strawberry image on it.

: As well as the opposite...the grape door that was at Strawberry Tower would lead to Grape House... Meaning, we opened the Grape Hall's door when we came in here.

: Meaning...depending on which door we use, this tower changes to either Strawberry Tower or Grape Tower.
: Which means...when you look at the other side of the Grape Hall door that we used to come in here...

: Yep, the grape picture should actually be on here.
: Then all we gotta do is confirm it, right? If we can close that door from the other side...
: Mmmmm, that might be impossible.
: Impossible...why?

: ...Well, Hajime and Nekomaru were the first ones to enter Grape Tower, right?
: What's...wrong with that?
: When you two entered Grape Tower from Grape Hall... Didn't it take a little while for the door to open after you pressed the button?
: ...Huh?
: ...So, just as I assumed.
: H-How...how'd you know?

: When I was walking around by myself... I went back to Strawberry House for a while. I felt like there was still something I missed when suddenly... The Strawberry Hall door automatically closed in front of me.
: The door...automatically closed...?
: And afterward, no matter how much I pressed the button, the Strawberry Hall door wouldn't open.
: But...why?
: The doors to Strawberry Tower and Grape Tower must be designed so that only one can open at a time.

: I mean...if both doors opened at the same time, we'd easily find out that both towers are the same building. If that happens, it wouldn't be a Funhouse anymore, right?

: Then...the reason the Strawberry Hall door automatically closed in front of you...
: ...Was it because we opened the Grape Hall door?
: When that happened, the Grape Hall door didn't open cuz it was waiting for Strawberry Hall's door to close... If you think about it like that...it makes sense, right?

: Like, you're sayin' all this hard stuff I don't get, but aren't you forgettin' the most basic problem? The color of the walls in Strawberry Tower and Grape Tower are different, y'know? There's no way they're the same buildin'.
: ...You didn't notice? They're just lights on the floor being shined on the wall. By reflecting a colored light onto a white wall, it makes it look like the wall color has changed.
: Th-Then what about the picture on the floor? Is that different, too...?
: Maybe the floor is just a screen, and the picture is being projected from beneath the floor... In fact, when you look at it closely, it's not a picture that was actually drawn on the floor.

: Oh I see! Then it's safe to say they're the same buildin', right?
: But this is a very important problem, so isn't it better if we test it out?
: ...Test?

: For example, we should leave something behind here, and we'll all go to Strawberry Tower...
: And if it's still there, we can conclude that they're the same building, right?
: Want me to stay, then?

: No, that's impossible. There's a sensor...preventing that.
: ...Huh? Sensors?
: Don't you feel it...? There are countless sensors plastered all over the tower's walls and floors...
: Why can't you notice themmmmmmmmmmm!?
: I'm more surprised that you actually noticed them!

: My guess...is that sensor can probably detect any movement within the tower...
: And when it reacts, it prevents the door from opening... I knew there'd at least be something like that...
: By the way...how good *is* that sensor's performance?
: It's quite high-performance... It seems that it can even detect your heartbeats and breathing patterns.

: Then...it'd be completely impossible for someone to stay behind.
: What about Nekomaru? He's a heartless robot.
: I have a motor running inside me, it's as good as any human heart...
: But if you're in sleep mode, that function will come to a stop too, right?
: Like you said, if I cease all functions with sleep mode the sensor won't detect it but...
: Do you need to go that far to test it? I won't tolerate any robo-prejudice!
: ...Sorry, you're right.
: And once I enter sleep mode... I will not regain consciousness until the "Good Night Switch" is pressed again or if my chest alarm goes off.

: I'm a little concerned about being left alone in that state.
: It is far too dangerous, even as an experiment! It is possible that we might violate the laws of robotics!
: Then...why don't we just use this?

: My student handbook. I'll leave this handbook here, and we'll all move over to Strawberry Tower... And if, by chance, the handbook is still there, we can safely say that the two towers are the same, right?
: You're right...let's try this.

We left behind Chiaki's e-Handbook right away... Then we left Grape Tower, and made our way to Strawberry Tower.

: We need to go to the elevator, but we're also given the chance to speak with everyone before that. Only a couple people have interesting conversations.

: It seems you are all being quite rude to Nekomaru. Have you never heard of the Three Laws of Robotics...?
: The Three Laws of Robotics? I'm not familiar...
: Very well, I shall explain! If this continues, I will feel just awful for Nekomaru.
: But...I think it's best if we head toward Strawberry Tower for now.
: Ah, you are right... Then let us discuss this in greater detail later!

: Hey...why'd you create such an ugly-looking building?
: Like I said...it wasn't me!
: Well, you know...it already existed back when it was an attraction at the amusement park...
: But Monokuma's the one who modified it like this! It's all his fault!

You make it sound so easy... How much time and energy did he put into modifying a building like this?

: Next time, back to Strawberry House.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Someone make this an emote.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Everyone's always bullying Souda, huh?

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Everyone's always bullying Souda, huh?

Souda deserves to be bullied.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Damnit, Souda's going to be the one to snap and kill someone.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Damnit, Souda's going to be the one to snap and kill someone.

Hopefully Akane.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

FPzero posted:

: Allow me to tell you a little old story... I was born as a result of a union between a human and a demon, and my existence was shunned by both races... Perhaps it's because nobody has ever bought me a toy before, but I believe this is truly remarkable...
:smith:

The Ultimate Mage Magician has a similarly deadpan voice in the JP voice track(which I played the demo with because I'm a terrible nerd), so it's definitely intentional. All the voices so far are pretty similar to the Japanese ones, honestly.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Hopefully Akane.

What's your problem with Akane specifically? That she's stupid? Don't mean to sound rude, I'm genuinely curious as to what your reasoning here is.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Stephen9001 posted:

What's your problem with Akane specifically? That she's stupid? Don't mean to sound rude, I'm genuinely curious as to what your reasoning here is.

She is not just merely stupid, but terminally stupid - a danger not just to herself, but others as well. Nekomaru's human body was lost because of her lethal stupidity, and judging from her current state of mind, she's a prime candidate to become a cannibal. She seems most likely to become dangerous. I wouldn't miss her at all.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Stephen9001 posted:

She's also stupid in a way that's kind of dull. Hiro was a funny idiot savant, swimmer chick felt like a nice person trapped in with a bunch of crazies, kaz is a pubescent boy stupid.

Akane just feels stupid and aggressive for no reason. She's just feels there to me in a way the other dumb people in need of correction didnt to me.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Akane is good, in fact,

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

She is not just merely stupid, but terminally stupid - a danger not just to herself, but others as well. Nekomaru's human body was lost because of her lethal stupidity, and judging from her current state of mind, she's a prime candidate to become a cannibal. She seems most likely to become dangerous. I wouldn't miss her at all.

Okay, "most likely to become a cannibal" and "is the reason Nekomaru had to become a robot" is in fact a fair enough reason. Thank you for indulging my curiosity. Personally I'd rather she lived, but I can see how her brand of stupid could be particularly grating. As for who I'd like to die, hm, I can't choose anyone out of the current group except Nagito.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I like how immediately after Nidai comes back, she winds up provoking Monokuma into shooting a bazooka at her again.

Stephen9001 posted:

As for who I'd like to die, hm, I can't choose anyone out of the current group except Nagito.

The fact that Nagito has survived this long is hilarious, honestly.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Akane is basically Asahina without the charm

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Stephen9001 posted:

Okay, "most likely to become a cannibal" and "is the reason Nekomaru had to become a robot" is in fact a fair enough reason. Thank you for indulging my curiosity. Personally I'd rather she lived, but I can see how her brand of stupid could be particularly grating. As for who I'd like to die, hm, I can't choose anyone out of the current group except Nagito.

Actually, Nagito is cool and good.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Rarity posted:

Akane is basically Asahina without the charm

Yeah, Aoi was an airhead, but she was nice and had a pretty good relationship with Sakura.

Akane in comparison is just kinda dumb and her closest interaction is with Nidai, but she's had almost no moments with him at all ever since he came back.

There's also a pretty clear difference between airheaded and just outright dumb.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Aoi seemed mostly naive, but Akane really outright comes across like she was raised by wolves not just with how dim she is, but her hyper-focus on food and sheer recklessness.

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010

Robindaybird posted:

Aoi seemed mostly naive, but Akane really outright comes across like she was raised by wolves not just with how dim she is, but her hyper-focus on food and sheer recklessness.

Akane kind of comes across to me like she was abused or just in general had a really bad feral childhood? Some of the off-the-cuff comments she makes are very... alarming. (Also her hyper-focus on food reads to me like 'I was starved growing up'.)

Amidiri fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 28, 2017

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I'm not saying it makes the character any less unlikable, but I do wonder if these traits are intentional to reflect her being a potential past participant in the despair event. Possibly everyone (save the 'spy') has an awful past.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yeah, now I typed it - it really seem to scan that Akane literally had no normal social interaction outside of fighting.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
Akane is a character that, like most Danganronpa characters, comes off as a lot better after you do her free time events.

Graylien
Aug 12, 2013
Yeah, a lot of Akane's issues are addressed in her free time (as are everyone's really) I'd say more, but I'm not sure where they stand as spoilers, we theoretically could have seen all her free time by now, but we haven't in the lp, so yeah

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Most of the characters are almost entirely inoffensive when compared to the first game's group (Yamada, Togami, Celestia) but I really can't stand Gundham however many times the game tries to make me go "aw actually he's sweet". I can't say I like any of them particularly? Sonia's probably my favourite at this point. Akane is good too.

Also I bet Nekomaru won't die here, he'll be switched off when he could be a witness.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Danganronpa V3 Demo, Part 2/3

I'm spacing the updates out again just to make sure I have some backlog, but I'm on no schedule to post these demo videos so here's the second part. I'll probably post the last one some time tomorrow.

Graylien posted:

Yeah, a lot of Akane's issues are addressed in her free time (as are everyone's really) I'd say more, but I'm not sure where they stand as spoilers, we theoretically could have seen all her free time by now, but we haven't in the lp, so yeah

Technically they are spoilers since I intend to get to them eventually, but we do have a spoiler bars policy in place for the LP. If you really want to mention it, carefully spoiler tag the contents and we're all good to go.

Graylien
Aug 12, 2013

FPzero posted:

Danganronpa V3 Demo, Part 2/3

I'm spacing the updates out again just to make sure I have some backlog, but I'm on no schedule to post these demo videos so here's the second part. I'll probably post the last one some time tomorrow.

Technically they are spoilers since I intend to get to them eventually, but we do have a spoiler bars policy in place for the LP. If you really want to mention it, carefully spoiler tag the contents and we're all good to go.

Eh, no point if you're going to do them, but thanks.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
My philosophy is that free time events are no substitute/excuse for "not being an awful, annoying character by default". That doesn't just apply to Akane, but to Mikan, Steve, and Saionji as well as several first-game characters.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The one thing I am going to say about them is that one of the conversations could have been rephrased to make it more accurate for an international crowd.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, they're really setting up a weird space with lots of conditions for this next murder.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Glazius posted:

Man, they're really setting up a weird space with lots of conditions for this next murder.

Well, they know there has to be a murder here soon, so they might as well investigate preemptively.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

FPzero posted:

Without going into too much detail: Akane's childhood was incredibly hosed up and frankly it's a miracle that she's as well adjusted as she is.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug

eating only apples posted:

I really can't stand Gundham

How dare you, Gundham is my favorite! :arghfist: :(

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The fact that Nagito has survived this long is hilarious, honestly.

In the second case, Peko and Fuyuhiko didn't want to involve him and in the third case, Nagito saw Mikan was someone full of Despair and no way would ever think of helping her. Though I'm worried he might be approaching his usefulness to the plot and get killed soon. :(

eating only apples posted:

I really can't stand Gundham.

So how do you feel about the color red? Feel any particular desire to wear a mask? :v:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

amigolupus posted:

In the second case, Peko and Fuyuhiko didn't want to involve him and in the third case, Nagito saw Mikan was someone full of Despair and no way would ever think of helping her. Though I'm worried he might be approaching his usefulness to the plot and get killed soon. :(

Nope, he's got immunity from death because he's the Token Crazy Nut. In normal circumstances, this would mean the others would bump him off first, but not in this world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Nope, he's got immunity from death because he's the Token Crazy Nut. In normal circumstances, this would mean the others would bump him off first, but not in this world.

I'd love it if he makes it to the end, since I find Nagito to be a pretty fascinating character.

• Locked thread