Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice
I keep coming back to the memory of Saints Row 2 and the diverse citizens you'd encounter. I once ran into a pair of guys in a park and having one of them yell "Fair escape!" when I shot the other. The fuckers were LARPing, and I doubt more than 5% of players would have gotten the joke. Always wondered how many niche jokes were there that I wasn't in the 5% to get it. Really cool having a diverse, living world like that.

Anyways, my ambiance is hosed too. I'm on PC and haven't tried to fix it because I thought it just wasn't there, so default settings. Very low car music, nothing from the world except the crystal hum and the flying robot warble. Characters, guns, the car itself, all normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Yeah, I'm on PC with the problem as well. I'm at work so I can't say what my sliders are but I"ll try and look tonight/tomorrow night and maybe upload a video of it to The Youtubes.

It's pretty exclusively the pedestrian/world stuff in Seoul though being a faint murmur/inaudible. Enemies and my characters are fine. Audio transmissions are fine. Even NPCs walking around in the Ark and the non-combative scientist dudes in lairs are fine.

edit: August Gaunt's car alarm...may not be fine? I could hear it, but it wasn't nearly as loud as my character's dialogue seemed to imply it was.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just shot some pedestrians as a test. I can hear them scream for a second from the center Handel but it's like at 4% volume and the. It goes away. So it's just a matter of the pedestrian and ambient audio levels being extremely low. I tried this on all the settings and same thing. They're always very low on the center Channel then drop off. And same thing for car audio.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I'm playing on Xbox One, default settings through a stereo television,. Exactly as others have said, I hear dialogue and car sounds fine, the enemy chatter seems okay, but in car music and civilians are quiet to non existent.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Interesting how there's no trace of the issue in the dev builds. I wonder how bugs like that occur, it seems really fascinating.

*Same Issue here, PC laptop, default audio settings, in car music and peds are super low volume.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Is there a way to skip/disable the startup videos? I have to restart the game a lot due to bugs and controller issues (having two different controller connected will simply not work properly).

Also, in borderless window mode I can't alt-tab since the game is apparently forced in focus, which defeats the purpose of playing in a borderless window. Is there a setting (in game or Windows or whatever) I'm missing?

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

This whole audio stuff sounds like an advanced version of the weird sound bug Saints Row 3 & 4 (at least on PC) have. I think that was pinned down to being an issue with the audio solution (Wwise, I think, it's got the same issue in various other games as well) and the symptoms here sound similar to how the SR games are. Some sounds play back loud, but then a select few are incredibly quiet in comparison, while others are seemingly "normal". Dialogue in-game is basically so loud that everything else disappeares while someone is talking, but cars and various other effects sounds are close to inaudible, it's really weird.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

It took me a while to discover the gremlin tech button, and now I pretty much don't use them.
They kinda suck

The only one you need is the one that runs automatically when your team wipes and brings them all back to life.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
boy i sure do loving love how the game will silently bump me up two difficulties making me wonder why my whole team just got wiped and why im doing so little damage that i might as well be throwing the guns at them. this was a great idea, volition. another good idea: having a platformer boss in a game where you can just jump from the street to the platform that lets you disable the big blue ball's shield. speaking of big blue balls, did they really need to make a whole specialization dedicated to "does more damage against ice machines/hate machines/gravity dominators/golems/whatever the gently caress else machinery there is" I feel they could have just rolled that into Giant Slayer so that World Savior doesnt feel like such a worthless ability on the agents that get it.

spit on my clit fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 25, 2017

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is it just more or is Oleg really bad

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Empress Brosephine posted:

Is it just more or is Oleg really bad

I tried to spec into his melee thing thinking would be awesome with the shield generation and poo poo.
It's not, as all enemies will punch you harder than you can punch them, making what little shield you do gain worthless.
And also the melee 'cooldown' is loving atrocious

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

it really is like two seconds between each melee attack. why? so many characters revolve around gaining buffs from melee kills, but guys like Gat either one-shots enemies or leaves them with about three melees worth of health.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is probably the best worst game I've ever played. A lot of it is just so mind boggling but the characters and combat are entertaining.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Got cracked and pirated. Two weeks of pirate-free sales isn't bad these days, I guess.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

spit on my clit posted:

boy i sure do loving love how the game will silently bump me up two difficulties making me wonder why my whole team just got wiped and why im doing so little damage that i might as well be throwing the guns at them. this was a great idea, volition. another good idea: having a platformer boss in a game where you can just jump from the street to the platform that lets you disable the big blue ball's shield. speaking of big blue balls, did they really need to make a whole specialization dedicated to "does more damage against ice machines/hate machines/gravity dominators/golems/whatever the gently caress else machinery there is" I feel they could have just rolled that into Giant Slayer so that World Savior doesnt feel like such a worthless ability on the agents that get it.

"Why do you like Daisy"
"She has an air dash"
Always bring at least one agent with air Dash. Another reason Pierce is getting more poo poo done than Gat in this universe.

...Oh my god. Gat's backstory makes so much more sense now in hindsight. Given that fits his actual gameplay experience to the point one of this legion techs is "Drop a grenade when you die (Because the Devs know you will)".

World Savior was probbaly as much to spread the passives around so you could not end up with the perfect super soldier that is "Red Card is great against both Armor AND shields! Now you have a reason to use Red Card"

For what it's worth, World savior is hilarious with certain Agents. I once one-shot a hate machine with Hardtack. Who's shotgun will never loving trigger "Will hurt nearby enemies" against ninjas rubbing shoulders with eachother, but somehow triggered to deal three way damage on rotating screens.

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

I tried to spec into his melee thing thinking would be awesome with the shield generation and poo poo.
It's not, as all enemies will punch you harder than you can punch them, making what little shield you do gain worthless.

"Why do you like Oleg?"
"He has an air dash"

Though yeah as the difficulty rises, that huge health pool just means he can take five hours to refill without health pickups. However, he's still the most beefy super hacker. And he can loving chump shock troopers and the like when given the chance even if he's just as vulnerable to civilian cars and sudden snipers as everyone else.

spit on my clit posted:

it really is like two seconds between each melee attack. why? so many characters revolve around gaining buffs from melee kills, but guys like Gat either one-shots enemies or leaves them with about three melees worth of health.
I am so very, very glad Braddok's Melee has a cool thing by default. Feels less wasteful to shoot a guy melee failed to murder, when it applies vulnerable in the process. "On melee kill" is also another thing on the long list of reasons Red Card disappoints. "Oh, oooooh. All those levels I put into health on kill only work if it's a Melee kill" Maybe it buffs his skill to but, well, yeah.

Ninja of the hard to spell name may get her poo poo ruined by melee and damage aura enemies, but at least her health on sword murder still lets me bring her along for funnies to slice up fodder enemies. Her blind is surprisingly unhelpful though. Enemies are very prepared, they have memorized the location of all ledges and chest high boxes so as to leap down and circle around behind a crate while blind.

Go ninja go ninja go I'd rate as "Under expectations, but still workable and fun". So long as I keep in mind even red card can shoot the enemies, turrets, and explosive drones she sucks against.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 26, 2017

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

One thing I do appreciate is that if you start a fight in the street, the cars don't discriminate against who they decide to gently caress over.
I've had an entire spawn wiped out by some dude in a semi.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Red Card, the man that can climb kill anything. because he has a gun. ok really i just cant get enough of red card. just some random loving civilian at a soccer game that decided to run face-first into a herd of legion and somehow not get slaughtered immediately. They have guns! How do you not die as a man who only has his fists up against an army? How is Legion even a threat if they can't take out red card? And why did Persephone decide she needs to give this man an auto shotgun/rifle and an explosive harness? Its such a stupid loving idea.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

spit on my clit posted:

Red Card, the man that can climb kill anything. because he has a gun. ok really i just cant get enough of red card. just some random loving civilian at a soccer game that decided to run face-first into a herd of legion and somehow not get slaughtered immediately. They have guns! How do you not die as a man who only has his fists up against an army? How is Legion even a threat if they can't take out red card? And why did Persephone decide she needs to give this man an auto shotgun/rifle and an explosive harness? Its such a stupid loving idea.

She saw him on one of her "Always has booze in hand" days instead of one of her "always has a cigarette in hand" days.

That and she had bet money on his team and was wanted to make Legion pay in a suitably thematic manner.

If not for auto-save, I would (after getting him to 20) blow 20 upgrade crystals on him to read what Persephone's deep thoughts are about him. As the computer room has little data blurbs that update based on things like "Level 20. level 30. level 40" and "Clear 1 then 5 character specific contracts"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its really bizarre that they put backstory cutscenes in a menu that you never have a reason to look at.

Thorg
Jan 1, 2007
Thorg hungry! Thorg want eat!
For Oleg, if you combine his legion tech Invigorator (When Yeti's shield reactivates after having been destroyed, he gains 15% health) with his Elite Tech in his passive (Dashing restores 20% shields) you can have one tanky SOB. Any time his shield breaks (only has 3000ish at 40) you dash and you heal a gently caress ton. If you're still less than max hp just let an enemy destroy your shield then dash again.

I'm not a fan of his melee mechanic so I just run Blizzard Blaster - Snowblind which isn't great, but it's decent. I've only ever tried him at difficulty 10 though because anything higher just isn't really fun to me.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
I think I remember somebody asking how in the world do you use Joule and I think it just comes down to if her gameplay works with you. But I've been trying to play everybody evenly and I still like her.

I can't comment *too* much since I haven't gotten any legion tech for her but stock I'd say it's pretty important to get turret range up early. I've mainly been using the increased firing rate for her special weapon but you really want to dance around the turret while the enemies concentrate on it. Special restocks pretty fast so you definitely want to spam it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zaa Boogie posted:

I think I remember somebody asking how in the world do you use Joule and I think it just comes down to if her gameplay works with you. But I've been trying to play everybody evenly and I still like her.

I can't comment *too* much since I haven't gotten any legion tech for her but stock I'd say it's pretty important to get turret range up early. I've mainly been using the increased firing rate for her special weapon but you really want to dance around the turret while the enemies concentrate on it. Special restocks pretty fast so you definitely want to spam it.

Her slow as molasses deploy speed I could probably try to plan around. The bigger issue to me is an annoying tendency for "By buff your turret, you meant remove it from your carefully placed position on top of a narrow computer and throw it into that corner next to you, right?" being why I keep trying and failing to enjoy her.

gently caress me for taking cover so my shields recover while my turret shoots enemies from behind, I guess. "Okay turret, use your 'draw all aggro' power-fuuuuuck"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 27, 2017

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Joule would be far more viable if there was a Legion upgrade for her gun that allowed for multiple beams, or chain lightning. It's not like it has a particularly great range or anything.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Section Z posted:

Her slow as molasses deploy speed I could probably try to plan around. The bigger issue to me is an annoying tendency for "By buff your turret, you meant remove it from your carefully placed position on top of a narrow computer and throw it into that corner next to you, right?" being why I keep trying and failing to enjoy her.

gently caress me for taking cover so my shields recover while my turret shoots enemies from behind, I guess. "Okay turret, use your 'draw all aggro' power-fuuuuuck"

Oh, well, I always pre-emptively pick a spot that's open to toss. Much more important to do so after you get the toss range core upgrade. Also your turret buff shouldn't move it when it's already deployed. It'll just deploy it before applying your buff if it's not out. Also of the three buffs the increased firing rate one is the only one that doesn't make the enemy instantly aggro on it. But as long as they're getting shot they still go for it more than me so it's why I stick with it.

Also lots of jumping around. Joule's gun will go for enemies before it goes for the turrent so you can pester them while it does work.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zaa Boogie posted:

Oh, well, I always pre-emptively pick a spot that's open to toss. Much more important to do so after you get the toss range core upgrade. Also your turret buff shouldn't move it when it's already deployed. It'll just deploy it before applying your buff if it's not out. Also of the three buffs the increased firing rate one is the only one that doesn't make the enemy instantly aggro on it. But as long as they're getting shot they still go for it more than me so it's why I stick with it.

Also lots of jumping around. Joule's gun will go for enemies before it goes for the turrent so you can pester them while it does work.

I mean specifically, I've already deployed my turret preemptive. But using my ability button decides "Oh, I must be too far away, therefore, have her throw a brand new one THEN activate the ability! I'm so helpful!"

Maxed out turret range skill and preemptive placement don't really do much against that.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Section Z posted:

I mean specifically, I've already deployed my turret preemptive. But using my ability button decides "Oh, I must be too far away, therefore, have her throw a brand new one THEN activate the ability! I'm so helpful!"

Maxed out turret range skill and preemptive placement don't really do much against that.

As I'm never too far away from my turret I can't say I've run into that. Sorry, man.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
pierce just made a "the cake is a lie" reference. kill this game.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

spit on my clit posted:

I love video game references in my video games.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

spit on my clit posted:

Volition i love you but this is completely unforgivable.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is that before or after the hour of Uranus jokes

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Empress Brosephine posted:

Is that before or after the hour of Uranus jokes

after

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
We have not, in fact, gone long enough for a portal meme to be funny. Wonder how long that poo poo will take

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

spit on my clit posted:

Changing purchase point to Monkey Island rule, NOT adjusted for inflation.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

What happens if I do the global offensive lair and get dunked on?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Of all the dumb jokes like Yeti extolling the virtues of rap-rock and that's the one that broke you.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

The Deadly Hume posted:

Of all the dumb jokes like Yeti extolling the virtues of rap-rock and that's the one that broke you.

It's enough to break any man

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Did the Gaunt missions last night.
Holy poo poo that car alarm was annoying

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The Deadly Hume posted:

I like the Beastie Boys, thank you very much :colbert:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

spit on my clit posted:

I like the Beastie Boys, thank you very much :colbert:

Nobody's perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Did the Gaunt missions last night.
Holy poo poo that car alarm was annoying

I think that was the whole point, from a game design perspective. Getting that line stuck in the player's head on a loop, just to help make you hate Gaunt that much more.

It's insidiously diabolical. :allears:

• Locked thread