Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Quidthulhu posted:

Yeah, and that's the thing, WHY he freaked out is all WIFOM and that's an impossible question to answer. I don't even know why Hal is asking that, he should know better.

What IS clear is he used one argument to support his freakout, and then contradicted it when it was convenient. That reads as scum backtracking. I've said this a bunch of times I don't know why I am repeating myself.

I don't see the contradiction.

If anything I would vote Flam for basically disappearing and not posting anything outside of his defense, but I don't get what supports what you are saying Quid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Like I don't get WHY he claimed his role, he seemed overly anxious to do so with the "great now my powers wont work" post, but it also doesn't seem like scum would panic from a single vote and feel like they had to make up this claim.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Quidthulhu posted:

TM I am going to vote you if you don't stop talking about everything in this game that isn't directly related to this game. You are not playing!!

how is that not playing? I'm saying that I think Flam is town because I would react the same way he would.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
im not allowed to talk about anything in this game apparently

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Quid apparently can never remember what happened to him all the time when he first played mafia

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Quid get back in here and fight me.

vector_to
Mar 7, 2013

Equally, why would a town panic over a single vote? I feel like that aspect just boils down to bad play period. Why he didn't conceal the vig part of his role and save it for another day is beyond me, that kind of sudden power surge could have been really useful.

I'm not fond of going back on my own reasoning, but I feel like Quid thought this through harder than I did, and I can't fault his argument. Remove the bit about the claim, and it does feel a bit like a scum panic. Furthermore, if his role is what he says, then he's enabled scum by revealing it. They just have to park a vote on him under any excuse and half his role is moot.

I'm kinda done arguing on this tbh. Unless someone pulls up a really good defense, I'm comfortable with a Flam vote.

Flamander
May 4, 2009

Hal Incandenza posted:

Like I don't get WHY he claimed his role, he seemed overly anxious to do so with the "great now my powers wont work" post, but it also doesn't seem like scum would panic from a single vote and feel like they had to make up this claim.

I just feel like I have to be overdefensive about my town position. Been lynched first a lot recently. If I'm useful to town, I won't be lynched. So, seeing that I was getting votes on me, I came to the conclusion that it was claim my role or be lynched D1 again.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Flamander posted:

I just feel like I have to be overdefensive about my town position. Been lynched first a lot recently. If I'm useful to town, I won't be lynched. So, seeing that I was getting votes on me, I came to the conclusion that it was claim my role or be lynched D1 again.

I actually don't like this answer very much. If you had said you knew you were going to get voted all the time because that is what happens to you (something I could totally understand) and you would only get to use your power if you claimed, that would be sensible. Being worried you were going to be taken out D1 seems a little too paranoid.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I have a means of resolving the flamander puzzle. Unless you think he's clearly scummy, hold off. If you think he's clearly scummy, please explain

Flamander
May 4, 2009
I claimed my role D1, I'm not a sensible person.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Hal Incandenza posted:

I actually don't like this answer very much. If you had said you knew you were going to get voted all the time because that is what happens to you (something I could totally understand) and you would only get to use your power if you claimed, that would be sensible. Being worried you were going to be taken out D1 seems a little too paranoid.

Nah, like I've been saying Flam really does get voted out early a lot. So I could see him being defensive or paranoid. But he should not have seen it as an unlikely thing at all to cop a few votes on D1 to delay his power. So the freakout reads a bit weird when he should have been resigned to that at least.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Bifauxnen posted:

Nah, like I've been saying Flam really does get voted out early a lot. So I could see him being defensive or paranoid. But he should not have seen it as an unlikely thing at all to cop a few votes on D1 to delay his power. So the freakout reads a bit weird when he should have been resigned to that at least.

I guess I feel like if you are that resigned to it then you just claim out of the gate but ehhhh it all still comes off a bad play more than scummy.

I still don't see how any of it was inconsistent as Quid is claiming.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I don't have much time but Flam seems like a town who freaked out and doesn't know how to unfreak out.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

And again, his argument isn't logically tracking. Flam should have known the following things when the game began:

-He is typically a D1 dunk regardless of alignment.
-His role won't function fully if he gets a vote on D1.
-Ergo, he will probably not be able to use his full ability on D1.

How does he then roll in and claim his role after a single vote? That makes no sense.

I mean at this point it's more likely he freaked out and dropped his fakeclaim in thread or something, I don't even know. Point being when the logic behind action and intent doesn't line up, you've probably got a scumbo.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

King Burgundy posted:

BTW, on the lurker conversations, I'm obviously always down for a lurker/content lurker cuddle. But the game rules allow us to ignore the people below 10 posts(I assume this is since game started, and not counting pregame posts). Like, theoretically these people can still get above the line, but these are the ones I can see that have posted less than 10 times since game started:

Yorkshire Tea 12
b-minus1 10
Xad 10
Infinitum 2

So no reason to pursue them as lurkers unless they get above that line. And yeah, sure, the person who gets the gun to kill these folks could choose not to shoot them, but then that gives us more information so it still works out. Or if these folks end up making just enough posts to stay above the line before deadline, then that deserves its own level of scrutiny.

My response is that nothing relevant has happened and I just want to get to D2 so I can actually get to mafiaing.

Also I'm still hungover as gently caress.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

There's a ton of poo poo that has been happening D1. Everyone should put down opinions on it so when we get flips we can look back. Why do people still not know how to mafia correctly :argh:

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Tired Moritz posted:

how is that not playing? I'm saying that I think Flam is town because I would react the same way he would.

Did you actually say this?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Hal Incandenza posted:

Quid get back in here and fight me.

I'ma cut you :ese:

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

I guess TM did say this:

Tired Moritz posted:

wow dont be rude on the internet

but yeah, I feel like this is more dumb town play than touchy scum. I still think killing lurkers would be better, but I think someone should keep a vote on flam forever

Odd that this soft throwaway mention of Flam being town is what he falls back on and not his actual content analysis of Lid:

Tired Moritz posted:

honestly lid doesn't seem very towny. way too abrasive early in the game, and also bad posts.

If someone came at you saying you were posting no opinions about people in the game, why wouldn't you lead with your scum call?

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
i believe tm when he says he'd react the same way as flam in the same situation tbh

Yorkshire Tea posted:

My response is that nothing relevant has happened and I just want to get to D2 so I can actually get to mafiaing.

Also I'm still hungover as gently caress.

hard disagree ##vote yt yes i'll probably move this later but what are the last 7 pages

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Flam claimed first because he was annoyed at losing part of his role. He later expounded because he was the focus of suspicious attention.

For someone who gets lunched early a lot, that's a believable response

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Flying Leatherman posted:

i believe tm when he says he'd react the same way as flam in the same situation tbh

hard disagree ##vote yt yes i'll probably move this later but what are the last 7 pages

actually that isn't a bad vote at all, yt skipped all the serious talk, either he didn't read it and is claiming it doesn't exist or he read it and decided it doesn't matter. either way, no, bad

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Quidthulhu posted:

I guess TM did say this:

Odd that this soft throwaway mention of Flam being town is what he falls back on and not his actual content analysis of Lid:

If someone came at you saying you were posting no opinions about people in the game, why wouldn't you lead with your scum call?

because i still want to kill lurkers

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

King Burgundy posted:

BTW, on the lurker conversations, I'm obviously always down for a lurker/content lurker cuddle. But the game rules allow us to ignore the people below 10 posts(I assume this is since game started, and not counting pregame posts). Like, theoretically these people can still get above the line, but these are the ones I can see that have posted less than 10 times since game started:

Yorkshire Tea 12
b-minus1 10
Xad 10
Infinitum 2

So no reason to pursue them as lurkers unless they get above that line. And yeah, sure, the person who gets the gun to kill these folks could choose not to shoot them, but then that gives us more information so it still works out. Or if these folks end up making just enough posts to stay above the line before deadline, then that deserves its own level of scrutiny.

This is a bad post

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Flam claimed first because he was annoyed at losing part of his role. He later expounded because he was the focus of suspicious attention.

For someone who gets lunched early a lot, that's a believable response

Except for the part where he should have known this about himself, known it was a big game, and not done it?

Like if my role PM said "you only get to use your power if someone doesn't post the EAT poo poo QUIDNOSE gif" I'm not gonna flip out if someone posts it because I know it happens a lot, I'm gonna go "ok that was expected lets hope that doesn't happen tomorrow"

And a vote is even more common than my stupid asinine example. LIke, he should have known going in he wasn't gonna get to use his full role N1. Why did he flip out when that happened?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

tithin posted:

This is a bad post

Nope. It's not. But please expand on why you think it is so it's on the record.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

King Burgundy posted:

Because it's functionally contentless, "hey there are lurkers and people under the past cap still"

Thanks for the update champ

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

King Burgundy posted:

Seconding this request.

Also, speaking of coming out to proactively claim stuff right away: Quid I am gonna visit you tonight.

Not gonna explain any more than that, just worried that something ~weird~ could happen if I got NKed and couldn't elaborate tomorrow!

Please carry on with D1.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

tithin posted:

Because it's functionally contentless, "hey there are lurkers and people under the past cap still"

Thanks for the update champ

But that isn't what my post was at all. It was a direct response to all of the talk about lurkers since I was gone.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

Bifauxnen posted:

Seconding this request.

Also, speaking of coming out to proactively claim stuff right away: Quid I am gonna visit you tonight.

Not gonna explain any more than that, just worried that something ~weird~ could happen if I got NKed and couldn't elaborate tomorrow!

Please carry on with D1.

but I was totally redirected and stuff, you see

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Bifauxnen posted:

Seconding this request.

Please carry on with D1.

"Whoops he's dead"

vector_to
Mar 7, 2013

Alright, so the thread is divided on Flam as a dunk target. Given we've only got 3 hrs until deadline, should we maybe start considering whether a stronger case can be constructed against anyone else, for comparison's sake? Otherwise I'm worried we may just go around in circles and end up with a no lunch.

Next closest in votes is PMush, how are people feeling about her?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Bifauxnen posted:

Seconding this request.

Please carry on with D1.

:sun: i hope we get a masonry!!

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

vector_to posted:

Given we've only got 3 hrs until deadline,

whaaaaaa

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

man there are a lot of games with surprising deadlines lately

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

##vote tired moritz no yknow what ur scum ur gonna die

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Flamander posted:

How does that match with your whole thing at the time being "shucks now I'm not useful"

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

vector_to posted:

Alright, so the thread is divided on Flam as a dunk target. Given we've only got 3 hrs until deadline, should we maybe start considering whether a stronger case can be constructed against anyone else, for comparison's sake? Otherwise I'm worried we may just go around in circles and end up with a no lunch.

Next closest in votes is PMush, how are people feeling about her?

Yeah I can see what Taste is saying about Flam maybe just playing badly of being frustrated as town, but I'm not feeling the pmush case as much cause it was only that one post of hers that pinged me before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Jonathan Fisk posted:

I have a means of resolving the flamander puzzle. Unless you think he's clearly scummy, hold off.

• Locked thread