Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Those fuckers probably would put Donkey Kong 64 on a N64 Classic, wouldn't they.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Mister Facetious posted:

Out of curiosity, how long have other Nintendo consoles had to wait for a Mario game?

We have MK8

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Dizz posted:

We have MK8

You know what I mean; starring Mario, with stages (or the equivalent) and a story.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Was 1080 100% a Nintendo developed game? Why do I remember some weird xbox sequel or something?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Bongo Bill posted:

It was several months for Sunshine and about exactly a year for Galaxy. On the other hand, New Super Mario Bros. U was a launch title.

Pffft NSMBU doesn't count :colbert: 3D World didn't come out til a year later. Making pretty good time with Odysee!

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Mister Facetious posted:

You know what I mean; starring Mario, with stages (or the equivalent) and a story.

the drat case has mario's fat italian face on it, plus mario themed stages. the story? they're in purgatory to forever race until they die and are reborn to race again.

quite dark, befitting dark souls

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

whens skyrim

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

a.lo posted:

whens skyrim

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Bill Barber posted:

Was 1080 100% a Nintendo developed game? Why do I remember some weird xbox sequel or something?

1080 was all Nintendo, you're probably thinking of Amped which was Microsoft's answer to 1080 and SSX.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

a.lo posted:

whens skyrim

It is believed to be October 29

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Dizz posted:

the drat case has mario's fat italian face on it, plus mario themed stages. the story? they're in purgatory to forever race until they die and are reborn to race again.

quite dark, befitting dark souls

Dark Souls didn't have rubber band AI. :newlol:

Bill Barber posted:

There was a sequel on the GameCube.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Pilotwings 64 and kirby and uhh sf rush

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Put NFL blitz on there

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

GoldfishStew posted:

This is the Switch thread please talk about Switch gam-- oh. Nm.

I played the Pokken Demo today. Empoleon is a lot more fun than I thought he'd be with his water tackle move. Looking forward to Switch pokken

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Pffft NSMBU doesn't count :colbert: 3D World didn't come out til a year later. Making pretty good time with Odysee!

New Super Mario Bros. Wii and New Super Mario Bros. U are worthy of standing among the best of the 2D Marios. NSMB DS is the bad one, NSMB 2 is the weird one. This I declare

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Mario Run is the only good NSMB game :colbert:

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Bongo Bill posted:

New Super Mario Bros. Wii and New Super Mario Bros. U are worthy of standing among the best of the 2D Marios. NSMB DS is the bad one, NSMB 2 is the weird one. This I declare

I second NSMB Wii as a great game. I skipped the WiiU so can't say about the others.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

U is the best one, followed by Wii, DS and 2. 2 is not a terrible game but easily the worst mainline Mario game imo. The level design felt super boring and amateurish.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I think if I had to label any of the NSMB games as bad it would probably be 2. The level design in that one just felt strikingly uninspired, and in turn it kind of seemed like the coin gimmick was trying to almost distract you from it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

U is the best one, followed by Wii, DS and 2. 2 is not a terrible game but easily the worst mainline Mario game imo. The level design felt super boring and amateurish.

2 didn't really click for me until I realized that it was a score attack game rather than a more typical platformer.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Bongo Bill posted:

2 didn't really click for me until I realized that it was a score attack game rather than a more typical platformer.

Yeah, Coin Rush is definitely the best part of the game. The challenge mode in U is still better though.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

NSMB2 is better than SMB2(The Lost levels)

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Now that I know Retro isn't doing a new Metroid I'm really hoping they're doing another Donkey Kong because Tropical Freeze was one of the best side scrolling platformers ever made

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
The Wii U Luigi expansion was the best, all the other NSMB games were too easy.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i want a Wii Classic but all it has is No More Heroes 1 & 2

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

New Super Luigi U would be perfect for the Switch.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

NewFatMike posted:

This was the truth behind all video games, but now every video game would be perfect on the Switch.

This.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Dizz posted:

Doesn't ARMS also contain a mode for no-energy losers like me? Maybe I will break the rules and tape the joycons to my legs and kick instead!
It works fine on the Pro controller in the full game, but I still get uniformly owned by any real human players and don't have the desire to practice to get better. But hey, thanks Gamefly for letting me try it out I guess.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

whaley posted:

Now that I know Retro isn't doing a new Metroid I'm really hoping they're doing another Donkey Kong because Tropical Freeze was one of the best side scrolling platformers ever made

If Retro isn't doing Prime 4, then who is?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
This is quite the hill to die on Holmes.

The guy who originally posted that "Rhythm Heaven is cancelled franchise and also no Mother 3 in the US ever" article last week just came out with another one after Yoshio Sakaguchi flat out said no. Like he wasn't even coy about it he straight up said "No the franchise ain't dead."

Anonymous Source posted:

"But it's certainly possible that Sakaguchi has plans for a new Rhythm Heaven game, and that it's been greenlit behind closed doors, but if so, I haven't heard anything about it. I suppose they could port some of the levels from past games to mobile, which is a project that I assume they could throw together in a few months in Japan, without involving Nintendo of America at all. Or they could go forward with the series without Tsunku, but that wouldn't really be Rhythm Heaven anymore, at least in my opinion. Either way, I hold true to my original statement that the Rhythm Heaven series looks dead from where I'm standing. That doesn't mean it couldn't be brought back to life someday, but I'm not holding my breath. "

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

They haven't announced that yet.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Viewtiful Jew posted:

This is quite the hill to die on Holmes.

The guy who originally posted that "Rhythm Heaven is cancelled franchise and also no Mother 3 in the US ever" article last week just came out with another one after Yoshio Sakaguchi flat out said no. Like he wasn't even coy about it he straight up said "No the franchise ain't dead."
"It's dead but that doesn't mean it couldn't be brought back to life" is the strongest of all takes. Definitely worthwhile.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I thought they already said it's going to be a new team assembled for it?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

To be fair, no one at Nintendo would say a franchise is dead even if it was.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I kinda wanna know what the embargo for Rabbids + Mario is. I'm getting FINAL BOSS videos from places I assume have review copies and places like Gamexplain went on a huge binge of videos the other day showing various bosses off.

Yet no one is allowed to show review for some reason?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

To be fair, no one at Nintendo would say a franchise is dead even if it was.

Reggie attacked and spit on me when I asked him for a new custom robo game

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Hace posted:

N64 games aged millions of times better than PS1 games

Depends on the game. Sprite based PS1 games like Legend of Mana and Suikoden have aged just fine.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Mister Facetious posted:

Dark Souls didn't have rubber band AI. :newlol:

Wrong! Killing enemies and dancing over their rubber band bodies and making them flop around was the best thing

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

I thought Switch was the new Steam? I feel like buying Crypt of the Necrodancer for around $5.00 would be perfect for Switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I kinda wanna know what the embargo for Rabbids + Mario is. I'm getting FINAL BOSS videos from places I assume have review copies and places like Gamexplain went on a huge binge of videos the other day showing various bosses off.

Yet no one is allowed to show review for some reason?

nobody's written a review they're all too busy having fun playing mario and rabbids

• Locked thread