Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
One thing that always surprises me about Warbreaker is how different it feels from normal Sanderson books. The hallmark things are still there - the optimism, the religion, the magic systems...but it also features more gritty situations than any other books, I'm pretty sure it also features more nudity in it than in literally all other books Sanderson wrote combined and multiplied by seven, and it also has a character whose thing is being funny actually being funny(Lightsong). It just seemed to go to places that his other work(before and after) never went to.

Like don't get me wrong, I love Sanderson's work and I can't wait for Stormlight 3 - but the reason I'm dying for Warbreaker 2 is that I'm hoping it will feature that same "UnSandersony Sanderson story" that Warbreaker had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
We've already talked about what we look forward to the most in Oathbringer. What about the opposite?

I think Kaladan's flashbacks were by far the weakest bits of Stormlight Archive. I don't care about his parents etc. at all, and I don't want to read about Kaladin moping around in his hometown because he couldn't protect his brother. Not when there are much more interesting things happening.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Kaladin going back home is going to be terrible. If his parents are there and doing ok then he'll break down about failing Tien. If something's happened to them he'll mope and blame himself. If the light-eyed lord there did something to them he'll probably break his oath (no, I don't think his saying the oath late in book 2 is going to matter, because it's Kaladin), again, by killing the guy or something and spend the rest of the book trying to make up for it.

At this point unless he's magically grown up in the time he takes to travel there it's going to be so, so bad one way or another.

e: I'm not sure what the best case could be considering his childhood crush was going to marry the lord's son but after that son died she was engaged to the lord instead, even though the guy was probably older than her own dad? Maybe we'll get lucky and he won't reach the town, or it'll be covered as a "Kaladin arrives" end to a chapter, and we don't hear from him again until he's leaving the area and we just get a recap of whatever emo brooding he did.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 19, 2017

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
I'm looking forward to seeing Kaladin go back home. Seeing how the common people actually react to the Knight Radiant after hundreds of years of thinking they were demons is going to be interesting. The end of book 2 doesn't quite count since Dalinar prepped the people there about the Knights Radiant. How Laral will see him after he is now technically a Lighteyes will be interesting as well, especially since she wanted Kaladin to go to war to become a Lighteyes.

It'll also be an interesting contrast with Shallan, who's family is coming to her.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Kaladin could also have a very healthy interaction with his parents, that gets him out of his emo phase. "It's not your fault" style.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Hopeford posted:

One thing that always surprises me about Warbreaker is how different it feels from normal Sanderson books. The hallmark things are still there - the optimism, the religion, the magic systems...but it also features more gritty situations than any other books, I'm pretty sure it also features more nudity in it than in literally all other books Sanderson wrote combined and multiplied by seven, and it also has a character whose thing is being funny actually being funny(Lightsong). It just seemed to go to places that his other work(before and after) never went to.

Like don't get me wrong, I love Sanderson's work and I can't wait for Stormlight 3 - but the reason I'm dying for Warbreaker 2 is that I'm hoping it will feature that same "UnSandersony Sanderson story" that Warbreaker had.

His annotations on the website are a pretty good read. He mentions that a couple of the inspirations he was drawing on were Les Miserables, Anna and The King/The King and I, and his own honeymoon/missionary experiences overseas. I enjoyed Warbreaker quite a bit too, the action and pacing wasn't quite as good as his other stories but he doesn't gloss over the more unpleasant aspects of day to day life, and he definitely features some very morally complicated characters. The romance with the God King was incredibly sweet too, none of his other romances have really worked for me beyond the most superficial level but this one felt earned and enjoyable.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Tahirovic posted:

Kaladin could also have a very healthy interaction with his parents, that gets him out of his emo phase. "It's not your fault" style.

Maybe, maybe not. Kaladin quite clearly suffers from recurring major depressive disorder (worsened by lack of sunlight), coupled with a new pseudo-addiction to stormlight which induces something like a hypo-manic state. His emotional rollercoaster won't have an easy solution. He might improve over time, but depression like that is rarely something that is 100% cured. He'll likely always have periods where he starts to descend into guilt and social withdrawal. Sylphrena will likely continue to play the role of magic friend/therapist to him though.

Having an epiphany YOU'RE CURED moment would certainly be emotionally satisfying to the reader and many readers would enjoy their hero not being so mopey, but I get the feeling Sanderson wants to stay loyal to his depiction of Kaladin as a hero who suffers realistically from depression.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Hopeford posted:

I think Sanderson said that he had just gotten married (and lost his virginity) before writing Warbreaker. I think that made him more comfortable writing about sexual stuff.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I'm looking forward to Kaladin going home as well.

I'm so tired of waiting for new books I started listening to wheel of time audiobook #1 last night.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
Prologue is up:
https://www.tor.com/2017/08/22/oathbringer-brandon-sanderson-prologue/

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
:siren: OATHRBINGER SPOILERS FROM HERE ON! :siren:

Well, that was depressing. Who knew that the same night could get even worse in the third retelling?

Gavilar is an idiot. It's ironic that the visions sent by Honor help bring about what they were warning of. On the other hand, the fact that Klade apparently hears Odium's voice most likely means that the Everstorm would have been unleashed eventually anyway.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I am going to need some convincing Gavilar, the guy who knew how to unite the Alethi without an existential external threat to point at, would so tragically misinterpret Honor's recordings.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

I love that King Gavilar was an Accelerationist.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

That prologue brings in some interesting things to think about... and a LOT of questions.

Guess I'm going to have to start coming up with them. I'm going to go with my nephew and some friends to the release book signing in November at BYU campus. If any of y'all have questions you want me to try to ask, think about them and I'll divy them out for us to all ask

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Brandon does pretty well at answering very specific questions that won't necessarily be answered in the course of reading the text. For example, "Is there significance to the count of chapters you're releasing ahead of the launch date (32), or is that just coincidence?"

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Potato Salad posted:

Brandon does pretty well at answering very specific questions that won't necessarily be answered in the course of reading the text. For example, "Is there significance to the count of chapters you're releasing ahead of the launch date (32), or is that just coincidence?"

Good catch, it's two times sixteen.

But I don't think even Brandon would go as far as making the number of chapters of part 1 of Oathbringer significant.

By the way, I think we are supposed to use spoiler tags until a book is out half a year? I think we should at least use them until Oathrbinger comes out, and perhaps a month afterwards, so that we don't accidentally spoil new Sanderson fans/readers.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
I haven't been keeping up too closely, is the whole book gonna have Eshonai flashbacks, or was that just for the prologue?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
No, that's just for the prologue. Just like WoK had no further Szeth flashbacks, and WoR had no additional Jasnah flashbacks. If you are interested, the Oathbringer flashbacks will be from Dalinar's perspective.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.
So far each book's prologue pov hasn't matched the flashback character. And I believe last we heard the flashbacks in this book would be Dalinar

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Potato Salad posted:

I am going to need some convincing Gavilar, the guy who knew how to unite the Alethi without an existential external threat to point at, would so tragically misinterpret Honor's recordings.

Remember the Envisigers? Those guys who wanted to become radiants and thought the powers would come out if you were in critical danger, and ended up basically stupided themselves into near extinction?

They also thought that bringing back the ancient demons would bring back the heralds.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Torrannor posted:

We've already talked about what we look forward to the most in Oathbringer. What about the opposite?

Shalan / Kaladin / Adolin love triangle. :(

Unless it ends with with the last two hooking up, that would at least be a neat twist on that trope. :gay:

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Avalerion posted:

Unless it ends with with the last two hooking up, that would at least be a neat twist on that trope. :gay:

Not even hooking up, I'd find the latter two deciding they'd prefer being friends than lose it over a relationship to be super refreshing and hilarious.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Brandon's been hyping this on twitter but it seems pretty dumb
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/343519164/kaladin-a-stormlight-archive-album-art-book

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Avalerion posted:

I'm pretty sure I'd said it before, but I think Adolin's going to end up being Odium's "champion" unless he becomes a radiant in the very near future. Otherwise he's going to get completely left behind by Kaladin and others whose radiant abilities will make his swordsmanship mean gently caress-all. Between his fight with Szeth and seeing his dad fight Szeth he realizes he's not the hot poo poo he thought he was. If anything develops between Kaladin and Shallan that's just going to add further fuel to the fire and all it'd take is an odiumspren getting its way to him and he's done.

Also curious to see what other worldhoppers show up, even in passing, in book 3.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 26, 2017

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

man that is so dumb

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

He could end up with an honorblade to keep him relevant, though yea not saying your theory can't happen.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Avalerion posted:

I can already see the fanfiction.

Adolin stretced forth his hand, into which the form of Kaladin's sword arose, sheen like it had formed out of mist...

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm pretty sure I'd said it before, but I think Adolin's going to end up being Odium's "champion" unless he becomes a radiant in the very near future. Otherwise he's going to get completely left behind by Kaladin and others whose radiant abilities will make his swordsmanship mean gently caress-all. Between his fight with Szeth and seeing his dad fight Szeth he realizes he's not the hot poo poo he thought he was. If anything develops between Kaladin and Shallan that's just going to add further fuel to the fire and all it'd take is an odiumspren getting its way to him and he's done.

Also curious to see what other worldhoppers show up, even in passing, in book 3.

I'm fairly confident Dalinar will either find out about the killing and disown him or Adolin will distance himself from Dalinar out of guilt but he will not become Odium's champion. Rather he will become Renarin's lieutenant (and the initial liaison between the Truthwatchers and Edgedancers) similar to how Kaladin is Dalinar's lieutenant (and the initial liaison between the Bondsmiths and Windrunners).

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The way Adolin talks to and personally thanks his dead shardblade before fights can't be an accident. Just like a redemption arc helped Kaladin reform his bond with Sylphrena, I think Adolin will somehow reawaken the dead spren in his shardblade after a long rough patch of his own followed by an act of penance/sacrifice/redemption.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Subvisual Haze posted:

The way Adolin talks to and personally thanks his dead shardblade before fights can't be an accident. Just like a redemption arc helped Kaladin reform his bond with Sylphrena, I think Adolin will somehow reawaken the dead spren in his shardblade after a long rough patch of his own followed by an act of penance/sacrifice/redemption.

I am personally hoping for this, though am not confident since Adolin's blade is supposed to be an Edgedancer blade and since Lift is already our resident Edgedancer POV, that might make it a little difficult. Other factor is that I think we're supposed to get a POV from every Radiant chapter and there is a WoB that there are some other Radiant orders that would accept what Adolin did (Dustbringers/Releasers was one).

Evil Fluffy posted:

Odium's "champion"

Is no one in the camp of Eshonai being forced into that role against her will thanks to Stormform? I mean, that internal screaming...and her poor comet spren...

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Leng posted:

Is no one in the camp of Eshonai being forced into that role against her will thanks to Stormform? I mean, that internal screaming...and her poor comet spren...

Wouldn't be the first time he had a character like that. [Mistborn spoilers] Marsh was Ruin's champion against his will.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Avalerion posted:

He could end up with an honorblade to keep him relevant, though yea not saying your theory can't happen.

Based on what happened to the one armed Herdazian at the end of the second book, I don't think you necessarily have to be born as a radiant. I think you can, given time and training, become one. Not saying it's going to happen, but I can see him working with the nascent Radiants enough that he starts to learn from them and gets a spren.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

seaborgium posted:

Based on what happened to the one armed Herdazian at the end of the second book, I don't think you necessarily have to be born as a radiant. I think you can, given time and training, become one. Not saying it's going to happen, but I can see him working with the nascent Radiants enough that he starts to learn from them and gets a spren.

Windrunners can have squires, and they can use stormlight also, though less well. This is shown in the only Dalinar vision in book 2. Not saying you have to be born a radiant, but what happened to Lopen is different.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

L-O-N posted:

Windrunners can have squires, and they can use stormlight also, though less well. This is shown in the only Dalinar vision in book 2. Not saying you have to be born a radiant, but what happened to Lopen is different.

How's what happened to him different from the other Bridge Four members who suddenly began using Stormlight during the battle with the Stormforms at the end of book 2? They can't all be squires to Kaladin and there's no reason Lopen (and the rest of them) couldn't be a radiant. We already know the king is one even though nobody in the story has realized it yet.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

Evil Fluffy posted:

How's what happened to him different from the other Bridge Four members who suddenly began using Stormlight during the battle with the Stormforms at the end of book 2? They can't all be squires to Kaladin and there's no reason Lopen (and the rest of them) couldn't be a radiant. We already know the king is one even though nobody in the story has realized it yet.

There's nothing that says a Windrunner can only have one squire. At the end of Dalinar's vision,

quote:

Dalinar finished repeating the words. Beyond him, the fight began in earnest, water splashing, rock grinding. Soldiers approached bearing hammers, and unexpectedly, these men now also glowed with Stormlight, though far more faintly.

While there could have been more than one Knight Radiant at the lake for the squires, we only saw one and that's my interpretation. A Winderrunner can have an entire squad of squires.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Kaladin's Bridge Team are all squires, but I think Lopen is an actual Radiant.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

insider posted:

What should I read next in the Cosmere?

I've read:
Mistborn Trilogy
The Way of Kings
Words of Radiance
Elantris
The Emperor's Soul

I have the short story collection so should I just keep reading that or should I go somewhere else now?

I went with Warbreaker and am 50% done. I can't believe he hasn't made more books in this world as I find it probably the most interesting magical system besides the one in Emperor's Soul. Maybe there is a reason for that at the end but drat I love the breath/color magic system. I know most people told me to read the 2nd Mistborn set but I think that is the most boring magic system he has created so I decided against it.

I'm going to finish this and then read the Lift short story and then be ready for Oathbringer.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

He actually does a lot to make Mistborn 2's magic feel different despite it using the same core systems. Specifically: No mistborn, but insteas twinborn (1 allomatic + 1 ferruchemic power), new metals, and it's interactions with Industrial era technology.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

insider posted:

I went with Warbreaker and am 50% done. I can't believe he hasn't made more books in this world as I find it probably the most interesting magical system besides the one in Emperor's Soul. Maybe there is a reason for that at the end but drat I love the breath/color magic system. I know most people told me to read the 2nd Mistborn set but I think that is the most boring magic system he has created so I decided against it.

I'm going to finish this and then read the Lift short story and then be ready for Oathbringer.

He will do Warbreaker 2 (titled Nightblood) after the Elantis sequels. No idea when those will be out, so don't expect it anytime soon.

Since Brandon is only one book short of completing Mistborn Era 2, it doesn't hurt to skip it for Oathbringer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Evil Fluffy posted:

They can't all be squires to Kaladin

mossyfisk posted:

Kaladin's Bridge Team are all squires, but I think Lopen is an actual Radiant.

I would be interested to know your reasoning on this. Given Kaladin's utter dedication to saving Bridge Four, and what we know about Windrunners

Words of Radiance posted:

There came also sixteen of the order of Windrunners, and with them a considerable number of squires, and finding in that place the Skybreakers dividing the innocent from the guilty, there ensued a great debate.

I came quite easily to the conclusion that ALL of Bridge Four are Kaladin's squires. Especially when you consider the fact that in The Way of Kings, Syl is quite specific in saying she is the only honorspren who has come, in defiance of the ruling honorspren.