Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Ariong posted:

It's a TV show though. It's not like the characters will break up even though the writers wanted them to stay together.

It's almost like asking someone to go gay though. It's not exactly the same since sexuality is generally a lot more concrete whereas monogamous relationships are a cultural construct but that doesn't mean people are just kinda willing to go with it. The fact that someone doesn't want to engage in a relationship like that would be a perfectly valid reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Guy Mann posted:

Much like how TCC has done more to scare me off of drug use than any actual anti-drug propaganda, /r/relationships has done more to convince me that poly relationships are terrible than a lifetime living in this heteonormative thought prison we call America.

It'll be great for TV drama though.

Most real life poly relationships I know have been shitfests, too. But on occasion they work. But you don't even have to go as far as polyamory, just open relationships, period. If Sheldon is so asexual that it's a struggle for him to even hug Amy, maybe it makes more sense for her to get sex, which she realizes she does want, elsewhere. (Although she should have left Sheldon a gazillion times because of how abusive he is, why do I keep hate-watching this show someone send help!)

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Most real life poly relationships I know have been shitfests, too. But on occasion they work. But you don't even have to go as far as polyamory, just open relationships, period. If Sheldon is so asexual that it's a struggle for him to even hug Amy, maybe it makes more sense for her to get sex, which she realizes she does want, elsewhere. (Although she should have left Sheldon a gazillion times because of how abusive he is, why do I keep hate-watching this show someone send help!)

I wonder how well Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men will translate in the next few decades. They're not that funny and you can practically see people in twenty years going 'this is how TV in the 2000s were' and then multi-page dissections of just how backwards and unfunny they are. So kinda like 'Friends' is seen now but with more words describing how unfriendly they are to another opening of the cultural norm.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Guy Mann posted:

Much like how TCC has done more to scare me off of drug use than any actual anti-drug propaganda, /r/relationships has done more to convince me that poly relationships are terrible than a lifetime living in this heteonormative thought prison we call America.

It'll be great for TV drama though.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I wonder how well Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men will translate in the next few decades. They're not that funny and you can practically see people in twenty years going 'this is how TV in the 2000s were' and then multi-page dissections of just how backwards and unfunny they are. So kinda like 'Friends' is seen now but with more words describing how unfriendly they are to another opening of the cultural norm.

They'll probably be remembered the same way we remember stuff like old TV westerns: lowest-denominator fluff that was popular because it was unchallenging audiovisual wallpaper.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Kit Walker posted:

I feel that the increased acceptance of poly relationships is going to make a lot of love-triangle-based dramas age poorly.
Where are poly relationships not still regarded as weird deviations from the norm?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Tiggum posted:

Where are poly relationships not still regarded as weird deviations from the norm?

Seattle, if the plethora of people here in poly bullshit relationships is any indication.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Tiggum posted:

Imagine a venn diagram where the two circles are labeled "Tumblr" and "obese"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tiggum posted:

IT

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

That's because they were a bit to proud of their own work and drew attention to it.

Meanwhile literally nobody noticed that Hugh Jackman was entirely CGI at points in The Wolverine.
Rewatching some of the Matrix stuff, it's fun to play Real Keanu V CGI Keanu in fight scenes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8GGwgI2vGU

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

I suppose a woman keeping a bunch of children living forever in the deadlight of her mind is technically a type of relationship

edit: oh wait I get it eww

Cumslut1895 has a new favorite as of 11:35 on Aug 27, 2017

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

Sounds like it would just be one circle?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

I assume you mean outside of this because you hosed it up.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

http://www.clickhole.com/article/be-prepared-experts-warn-polyamorous-relationship--6226

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Croccers posted:

Rewatching some of the Matrix stuff, it's fun to play Real Keanu V CGI Keanu in fight scenes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnVPUK-8P0M

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Croccers posted:

Every time I see this fight I can't help but think of the Mario version someone made back in the day when that was still awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4lxoqAVm00&t=80s

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Croccers posted:

That fight scene is still a guilty pleasure of mine, it's just so ridiculous. Hugo Weaving makes anything better, so dozens of Hugo Weavings means it's the best, right? "More."

There's a fan theory (or excuse) I've heard that I like, saying that Neo's moves and the multiple agent clones is so out there that the Matrix itself has troubles rendering the fight in a realistic manner. Doesn't explain why Neo looks like a computer game cutscene when there's the closeup on him flying at one point in the movie, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amQOvS4FKzI

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I don't really mind the effects in the Burly Brawl and the big Goku v Superman fights in the Matrix sequels for the same reason I like the skeleton fight in Jason and the Argonauts: they're obviously not trying to be realistic or grounded and are all about spectacle and pushing the limits of what they thought they could do with the tools they had. Yeah it's kind of silly and pointless and it looked fake the day it came out but so is every other fight in the movie and at least this one had bowling pin sound effects when he throws one Smith at a group of Smiths.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Gaunab posted:

Poly relationships don't work out more than they do. Also makes the person look selfish.

In my experience poly relationships are just better at bringing the lovely side out of people. Two people who aren't especially compatible or good at relationships can make a lovely relationship last for a long time. But if you add in one more person everything awful about everyone involved rapidly comes into stark focus. Contrariwise, for people who are actually good at relationships it doesn't make a difference if it's with multiple people. Turns out most people are really loving awful at relationships, though!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

People were not created to be in monogamous relationships.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

more like oldball&chainless

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

They'll probably be remembered the same way we remember stuff like old TV westerns: lowest-denominator fluff that was popular because it was unchallenging audiovisual wallpaper.

This is how they're popularly viewed even now

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

oldpainless posted:

Trivially true since people were not created.

Serial monogamy seems like the most "natural" state for humans, but we are free to choose whatever

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

oldpainless posted:

People weren't created.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

People weren't created.

I know you have weird views about sex but I'm pretty sure they are

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

You do you etc. but I have found most open relationships I know about start as monogamous and then one person decides they want more sex with other people but like having someone to binge netflix with and the other is afraid of crippling loneliness.

I can't think of a good example of a show/film aging badly but I recently read a book on number theory and it both said number theory had no practical uses and we'd never have a proof for Fermat's last theorem lol.

fake edit: number theory underlies all cryptography basically and there was a proof for the theory in 1994 for all you sex havers

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

eh zeus made me out of a bough of loam and a rabbit turd after he hosed my mother (a large frog) so speak for yourselves

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Pick posted:

People weren't created.

To be in monogamous relationships, yes I already said that.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Mg dad Saturn jizzed in the sea or whatever and I came out of a clamshell

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

EmmyOk posted:

You do you etc. but I have found most open relationships I know about start as monogamous and then one person decides they want more sex with other people but like having someone to binge netflix with and the other is afraid of crippling loneliness.

I can't think of a good example of a show/film aging badly but I recently read a book on number theory and it both said number theory had no practical uses and we'd never have a proof for Fermat's last theorem lol.

fake edit: number theory underlies all cryptography basically and there was a proof for the theory in 1994 for all you sex havers

There's an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation where Picard mentions that people are still looking for a proof to Fermat's last theorem, so that's aged badly. Although the amount of time fuckery that goes on in Star Trek means I'm sure the fan explanation is that the proof was never found in that timeline because of something stupid Janeway did.

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

Sunswipe posted:

There's an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation where Picard mentions that people are still looking for a proof to Fermat's last theorem, so that's aged badly. Although the amount of time fuckery that goes on in Star Trek means I'm sure the fan explanation is that the proof was never found in that timeline because of something stupid Janeway did.

IIRC, and it's been a long time so bear with me on this, but I think the explanation they used was that they were talking about finding the original proof. Which is a complete cop-out, but at least it's not offensively stupid.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Inescapable Duck posted:

Pre-9/11 media was something else. A lot of shows got episodes delayed or pulled because of portraying cities getting wrecked. I think Transformers: Robots In Disguise (not to be confused with the current ongoing show by that name. What is it will all the goddamn same name reboots) ended up aired way out of order for that reason. Likewise, pretty much anything with guns at a school before Columbine. Though it makes Heathers even more of a pitch black comedy nowadays. (and if anything, even more on point)

It changed the way city destruction was portrayed even in movies that still did it, too. Man of Steel and Godzilla '14 focus on the rubble and the dust a lot more than the 'clean' destruction you used to see.
Cowboy Bebop was airing on Adult Swim for it's original US run when 9/11 happened, and they removed the Teddy Bomber episode because it opens with twin skyscrapers having bombs go off between them, dropping the bridge that connected them at the like 30th floor. On the second run they brought back that episode.

It's also a really good episode because it has Andy the Bounty Hunter Cowboy who is a thematic foil to Spike.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Guy Mann posted:

I don't really mind the effects in the Burly Brawl and the big Goku v Superman fights in the Matrix sequels for the same reason I like the skeleton fight in Jason and the Argonauts: they're obviously not trying to be realistic or grounded and are all about spectacle and pushing the limits of what they thought they could do with the tools they had. Yeah it's kind of silly and pointless and it looked fake the day it came out but so is every other fight in the movie and at least this one had bowling pin sound effects when he throws one Smith at a group of Smiths.

In retrospect, the Matrix trilogy is so strange, if for no other reason, than for how patchwork it is between being really interesting, and being really shoddy, at like, every layer of the production. Even the script itself gets kinda neat if you look in the right directions (for example, I'm one of those conspiracy fans that thinks things work a lot better if Smith was the "real" One the whole time, not Neo), but what I like is all the little details where they put a ton of work into something most people don't even think about. Like that time Carrie Anne-Moss does the "Scorpion Kick" where she pulls her foot over the back of her own head to kick a dude in the face in front of her. She trained for months to be able to do that one kick, that takes all of 5 seconds on screen with no fanfare. Or like, early in the third movie when Neo is stuck in that dumb train station area, and the rest of the gang fights in the nightclub lobby. That fight is very much an "old news" fight by this point in the series, being just fancy punches, kicks, and gunplay in a small, green room. But the transitions between cg models and live actors is possibly the most flawless of the entire three movies in that sequence. There's a bit where a CG actor is running up around the ceiling, and by the time they hit the ground again they're live action, and I honestly can't see the transition--and I can usually spot any and all CG in things, especially stuff that old. It's the little things that make the movies neat.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Hattie Masters posted:

IIRC, and it's been a long time so bear with me on this, but I think the explanation they used was that they were talking about finding the original proof. Which is a complete cop-out, but at least it's not offensively stupid.

Isn't there another sci fi series that pulled the same retcon?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CannonFodder posted:

Cowboy Bebop was airing on Adult Swim for it's original US run when 9/11 happened, and they removed the Teddy Bomber episode because it opens with twin skyscrapers having bombs go off between them, dropping the bridge that connected them at the like 30th floor. On the second run they brought back that episode.

It's also a really good episode because it has Andy the Bounty Hunter Cowboy who is a thematic foil to Spike.

I remember I showed that in a class when I was in freshmen year of high school as an example of reactionary censorship and my teacher yelled at me for not letting her know what imagery I was going to show ahead of time. The assignment was literally about censorship??

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

CannonFodder posted:

The thing I most remember about Cartoon Network's reaction to 9/11 was that they pulled the last five or six episodes of the original Mobile Suit Gundam under the guise of not wanting to show so much violence (A token excuse because the show had drawn crappy ratings and they wanted a reason to stop airing it), but they kept airing the much newer (And more violent) Cowboy Bebop. Literally two days after 9/11 they reran the most recent episode, Gateway Shuffle, which opens with terrorists shooting up a restaurant full of people.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I doubt the creator's care. Some things are made to be enjoyed years from now, most are just for the moment.

To expand, watch most any Pixar movie and it still holds up. Toy Story came out in 1995 I think and while the CGI looks old, the film itself doesn't suffer. And now watch the first 10 minutes of Shrek. hey now, you're an all-star, get your game on, go plaaaaay

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Guy Mann posted:

That's every relationship in /r/relationships, though. Like, the message you get from there isn't "poly relationships are bad", it's "all relationships are bad, and humanity was a mistake". People in happy, stable relationships don't post in /r/relationships (or if they do, they don't show up in the thread here).

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Krispy Kareem posted:

I doubt the creator's care. Some things are made to be enjoyed years from now, most are just for the moment.

To expand, watch most any Pixar movie and it still holds up. Toy Story came out in 1995 I think and while the CGI looks old, the film itself doesn't suffer. And now watch the first 10 minutes of Shrek. hey now, you're an all-star, get your game on, go plaaaaay

The original toy story CG holds up better than the CG in the hobbit films. It's so jarring and but as you said, Toy Story had aged but I'd still watchable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

They made the right call by making their first film about toys so the less detailed textures and stilted animation still look appropriate.