Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah they could be unreasonable about the whole "genocide" thing. We may never know if the cardassian really occupied Bajor. All we can say is that we deplore the violence on many sides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah they could be unreasonable about the whole "genocide" thing. We may never know if the cardassian really occupied Bajor. All we can say is that we deplore the violence on many sides.

More like Badjorans

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I'm just saying, if I portrayed any real life ethnic group the same way Bajorans were portrayed in DS9, I'd be committing a hate crime.

It took them about fifteen minutes to decide to worship Literally Bajoran Satan, which in Star Trek is considerably worse than normal Literally Satan, who is apparently an alright guy.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

I don't know, I never thought the Bajorans were acting too unreasonably given what they had went through. Winn, that minister behind the anti-Federation coup (he was Gabriel on The Americans!), and Dukat's cultists all came out of a hard time. Give them a generation to heal and rebuild, and they'll get better.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I satisfied but also really frustrated, and now I don't know how to fill the DS9-shaped gap in my life either

Take up Babylon 5.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I don't know, I never thought the Bajorans were acting too unreasonably given what they had went through. Winn, that minister behind the anti-Federation coup (he was Gabriel on The Americans!), and Dukat's cultists all came out of a hard time. Give them a generation to heal and rebuild, and they'll get better.

Good ol' Skeletor.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Also wasn't it just a little sect of Bajorans worshiping the pah wraiths? It's been a while since I've seen that episode, but I thought that was the entire reason Dukat was hiding out on sideways DS9 with them.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Discovery has apparently been given a TV-MA rating

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The Bloop posted:

Not your grandpa's STAR TREK!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/startrekcbs/status/901127180180115457

whatever that means

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

It means "We must secure the existence of our people and a future for Klingon children."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

shadok posted:

It means "We must secure the existence of our people and a future for Klingon children."

#MQGA I assume?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

shadok posted:

:gowron:

Yeah, though, that is pretty much the plot of TUC and the augment arc in ENT

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

There really is nothing that can make a bakleth intimidating, is there

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

There really is nothing that can make a bakleth intimidating, is there

I mean, it's more intimidating than, say, nunchucks.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

The_Doctor posted:

#MQGA I assume?

Chancellor T'Ruhmp did nothing wrong.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

The Bloop posted:

They're going to say the n word. This will be the first time the n word has been said in star trek

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Actually I forgot about far beyond the stars. This will be the uh the first time a senior bridge officer has been named the n word

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The decon gel scenes are going to be intense

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

The Bloop posted:

whatever that means

The Federation does have kind of a homogenization going on, but that doesn't really become apparent til DS9.

I can see Klingons feeling threatened by Starfleet though on a nationstate level. If Klingons were the insane bully at school that might've murdered a kid, then Starfleet's the Loser's Club from IT but they have guns and they're handing out guns to all the other losers at school. One day the regular stream of lunch money to the Empire will end.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

God that Klingon clip was the most overwrought generic fantasy crap. If you'd have changed Klingon to orc and said it was a clip for that lovely Warcraft movie, I probably would have believed it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I satisfied but also really frustrated, and now I don't know how to fill the DS9-shaped gap in my life either

Seconding the recommendation for Babylon 5,

https://www.go90.com/shows/babylon5

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The TV-MA is obviously for the communal Klingon showers.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

shadok posted:

Chancellor T'Ruhmp did nothing wrong.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The Bloop posted:

Forget Seven of Nine. This is the prequel and we're bringing you 6 of 9.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Wow, sounds like somebody's not taking the Augment Virus well! :v:

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Gonz posted:

The TV-MA is obviously for the communal Klingon showers.

Somebody says "poo poo", a bare buttocks is shown. So edgy.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Brawnfire posted:

Dark hint: The kids aren't Geordi's.

I can defiantly see Geordie being all "I'm so sorry Leah, your husbands shuttle crashing was such a senseless waste. I can come over and help you clean out all his stuff"

I hate how upset I am over these Klingons. It smacks of nothing more than the creators of Discovery going "this is going to be MY TREK, I don't care what has been set before, I am going to reengineer 40 years of established production design so I can say 'this is mine'". It explains why everything just looks so off, everything in angular and bare metal.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

twistedmentat posted:

I hate how upset I am over these Klingons. It smacks of nothing more than the creators of Discovery going "this is going to be MY TREK, I don't care what has been set before, I am going to reengineer 40 years of established production design so I can say 'this is mine'". It explains why everything just looks so off, everything in angular and bare metal.

I dunno, seems to me like the theme of the show has something to do with war starting because of cultural fear and they're amping up the alienness of the Klingons to help tell that story. :shrug: If it turns out it's just an arbitrary change it it'll be sort of dumb but assuming it actually has a dramatic purpose I kind of like it so far.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
occupation is often harder on the occupier

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

So this is just gonna be one of the sci-fis from the early 2000s no one liked, but slicker, huh.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Cool, the video is region locked to NA, but from the sound of things I suppose i'm not missing out on anything

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bohemian Nights posted:

Cool, the video is region locked to NA, but from the sound of things I suppose i'm not missing out on anything

Voiceover: "They are coming. Atom by atom they will silence us. Cell by cell our souls shall become theirs. We must fight for one thing above all: to remain... Klingon."

So, yeah. I am trying REALLY hard not to get any preconceived notions about this show. I am reminding myself that the pre-release material made The Phantom Menace look amazing and the reboot of Battlestar Galactica look eyeroll-worthy.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Panzeh posted:

Also how many geordi episodes are there in TNG, anyway? I remember, maybe 3?

There's that Season 6 episode, The Quality of Life, where Geordi attempts to grow a beard and carries a lady-scientist's printer exocomp while she fawns over Data.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Atom by atom you say? Federation agents have infiltrated Klingon transporters and are rebuilding Klingons with Federation atoms.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Sash! posted:

Atom by atom you say? Federation agents have infiltrated Klingon transporters and are rebuilding Klingons with Federation atoms.

The future version of chemtrail conspiracy theories right here

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don't think it was explicitly said during that time period, but I thought it was always implied that the Klingons were threatened by the Federation's method of expansion. They saw it as cowardly as opposed to conquering worlds outright.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Alexander Jones, son of Worf son of Mogh

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bohemian Nights posted:

The future version of chemtrail conspiracy theories right here

Pay InfoMudd.fed only two bars of gold-pressed latinum and you will get one gigaquad of purestrain human atoms.

These are the cleanest atoms you can get, free of toxins. Their subspace resonance guaranteed to match for maximum cohesion.

Help us support the fight for truth and at the same time keep yourself fully human. #transportcleanse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

The Bloop posted:

How do Klingons do decon gel?