Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

isndl posted:

Well excuse me for not finding the full plan details on mobile,
No! :) The same info is on the mobile page too, you just click “ONE plan” instead of “plans”. And there’s more scrolling.

Nothing personal, just seems like that’s about the fourth time in a few weeks I’ve read something in this forum like “I can’t find info about the TechCo deal” and the answer is right there on TechCo.com. And since the topic is oldsters, I’m allowed to get cranky :corsair:

Anyway, pretty good deal, I hope it filters through other carriers too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

I'm thinking about switching to T-Mobile (from Project Fi) and also giving up on Android after 8 years and getting some kind of new iPhone this fall. Does anyone have thoughts on a strategy I should use for this?

Here's my situation:
  • I've got a Nexus 6P that's almost paid off (and I can pay off the remainder whenever) that I'm fine to use for a few months
  • My wife's on Sprint and has an iPhone 7 she'll keep for the foreseeable future
  • Getting 2 unlimited lines for she and I to use for $100 seems pretty OK to me

A few questions:
  • So do I just switch now and then buy a new iPhone this fall and sell my Nexus?
  • Should I immediately trade my phone in with them for some kind of promotion (are there any? I don't see this unless you're coming from Verizon), then keep or sell that phone?
  • Does T-Mobile usually incentivize new iPhones/plans around then?
  • This fall, should I buy a new iPhone outright or lease it from T-Mobile (using the JUMP plan or whatever? I'm not clear on what those benefits are).

Thanks, I'm a doofus.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Anyone want any of my Tuesday poo poo

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I wonder if it's even legal in my state. We have laws prohibiting many types of age discrimination even if it benefits older people.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

wormil posted:

I wonder if it's even legal in my state. We have laws prohibiting many types of age discrimination even if it benefits older people.

:what:

Many kinds of businesses offer senior discounts, military discounts, etc.

You're free to not patronize them if you disagree.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Maneki Neko posted:

:what:

Many kinds of businesses offer senior discounts, military discounts, etc.

You're free to not patronize them if you disagree.

It's okay, relax. I'll keep musings to myself from now on. By the way, turned out those laws were for insurance; no age related discounts. Hope I didn't stress you out.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Are there any specific guidelines to follow when mailing a cellphone/battery? I want to send my mom my old phone as a replacement.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

hiddenriverninja posted:

Are there any specific guidelines to follow when mailing a cellphone/battery? I want to send my mom my old phone as a replacement.

Not really. I supposed you could write "lithium battery" on the box if you're worried about damage from heat or something.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

hiddenriverninja posted:

Amazon requires a label on the box stating lithium battery, so probably.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Anyone want my hitman ticket

-edit lol or I guess $100 in Postmates delivery fees to be used within the week

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 15, 2017

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Anyone want my hitman ticket

-edit lol or I guess $100 in Postmates delivery fees to be used within the week

The Postmates codes is not unique nor is it special. Everyone gets it for signing up: B1-D4-HX2-JK3-LMQ

Expires Monday at midnight.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

If anyone was lucky enough to get a Sonic Mania code and doesn't want it, I'd gladly make use of it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

TheManWithNoName posted:

If anyone was lucky enough to get a Sonic Mania code and doesn't want it, I'd gladly make use of it.

Same.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug

TheManWithNoName posted:

Sent PM

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Thanks but that was the free Sonic CD game everyone got. It's confusing because it says Sonic Mania in the thumbnail but they are different games.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm on Metro's $30 plan and am in Canada from tomorrow to Sunday. Is the easiest/cheapest way of keeping service to jump up to $40 plan and add the Canada $5 addon?

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

TheManWithNoName posted:

Thanks but that was the free Sonic CD game everyone got. It's confusing because it says Sonic Mania in the thumbnail but they are different games.

Everyone got the free Sonic CD key, Sonic Mania is a prize in the sweepstakes part of T-Mo Tuesdays.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

And of course after upgrading my line there's still no option to add Canada Unlimited. I don't mind Metros quality of service as it's good value, but their web portal is the worst I've ever used for a cellular company. I guess calling them is the only option, I'm sure that'll go super smoothly.

E: holy crap, trying to log in on my phone and it doesn't even ask for a username and password and just takes me inside someone else's account. Traced the address and luckily at least it's a Metro store or something and not some awful data breach.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 17, 2017

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
If you're logged into someone else's account that might as well be considered a data breach, particularly if you can pull up names, addresses, and payment details.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think it's just a place holder when there's nothing logged in. The site is so screwed on mobile it looked like a genuine customer until I traced the address.

Have arrived in Canada! I have North America Unlimited! It's connected to Bell so I guess I'm $15 down and relying on wifi or I get changed $15/MB!

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends
I currently have Verizon and am thinking of making the switch to T-Mobile. Anyone from the greater Hartford area (CT) comment on the service? What about New England as a whole? I do a lot of traveling for work and streaming music on the major highways (84, 90, 91, 95) is a big part of what keeps me sane. I know this is a pretty broad question but if someone out there has any major problems with some of the larger cities I'd like to hear about it.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Anywhere on the highway system in New England will be fine.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

My family has AT&T, and my parents recently went out of the country a few times. AT&T said that they would handle data usage overseas, but they came home to a bunch of dumb charges and whatnot. Dad wants to move off of AT&T now, and he wants me to look into TMobile. I recall TMobile being really good for people who travel a lot, and it looks like its coverage is pretty extensive (covers FL and MA basically, only spotty on the west coast).

How have people's experiences been traveling overseas (Europe, Latin America, etc.) with TMobile? Are the plans good? Unlimited text/data, etc?

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

How have people's experiences been traveling overseas (Europe, Latin America, etc.) with TMobile? Are the plans good? Unlimited text/data, etc?

I'm traveling to the UK next week. As far as I can tell, there is unlimited Data/Messaging but at 3g speed. Calls are $0.20 a minute so I will try to do any voice calls while on wifi. I'm a little concerned about my hotspot as its plan is different than my Simple Choice (other 5 lines). It was a freebie line from last year.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I've used my T-Mobile plan internationally without significant issues in half a dozen or so countries across Europe and Asia. Data does get throttled but it's still sufficient for using Google Maps or browsing the forums, just don't do anything image-heavy. Free international roaming + texting is a pretty solid deal for anyone who expects to be traveling.

I have noticed that sometimes I'll end up roaming onto a network that doesn't do data, but it's rare and mostly fixable by setting a preferred network. One time I had to tweak my APN settings for some reason to get roaming data, no idea why.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Yeah when I went to Amsterdam last year I think I had to call and make sure the switch was flipped for Free International Everything, but it should be on by default. Super handy.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

As long as TMobile has good support for international data, it should be fine. Dad's main concern while traveling is to "check email, receive texts, make emergency phone calls" and that the domestic service should be good enough. He's also expressed interest in mobile hotspots ala Huawei - if TMobile has that, that's be cool too!

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
Well got myself the T-Mobile One plus International plan today. Unlimited 4g Hotspot means that we can have Internet here in the foot hills of Montana near the Idaho boarder. So far the speed hasn't been great but I think all the forest fires might be messing with service speed. I just want fast enough to play my MMOs.

The district rep had so much faith that I'd love the international plan he paid for it himself for the first month so I could try it. So unlimited data and hotspot here I go.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pollyanna posted:

As long as TMobile has good support for international data, it should be fine. Dad's main concern while traveling is to "check email, receive texts, make emergency phone calls" and that the domestic service should be good enough. He's also expressed interest in mobile hotspots ala Huawei - if TMobile has that, that's be cool too!

Look into Ting if he has a GSM phone

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Free Netflix. :woop:

TMobile posted:

Because this is the Un-carrier, getting Netflix On Us couldn’t be simpler. Starting Tuesday, September 12th, qualifying T-Mobile ONE customers can activate their Netflix subscription online, in-store or by calling T-Mobile’s award winning customer care. And, if you already have a Netflix subscription, T-Mobile will cover the cost of a standard subscription for you — meaning you’ll save nearly $120 every year.

To qualify, all you need are two or more paid voice lines on T-Mobile ONE with taxes and fees included. Even customers with free lines from the Un-carrier’s wildly popular recent “line-on-us” deals qualify. Customers on Unlimited 55+ or 2 lines for $100 can get Netflix On Us simply by switching to the latest T-Mobile ONE plan.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

They really want me to give up my 2 for $100 actually unlimited plan.:lol:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
No thanks, I'll keep my TMobile One 2 Lines for $100, rathre than spend $20 more per month for "Free" Netflix

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Lol at how unprofessional the T-Mobile website is. Anyone else see the

"Click here to check your iPad order status'/> "

at the bottom? Like some forgotten HTML

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ohgodwhat posted:

Lol at how unprofessional the T-Mobile website is. Anyone else see the

"Click here to check your iPad order status'/> "

at the bottom? Like some forgotten HTML

It's especially bad if you're ordering a new iPhone as pre-orders go up. I'm calling this year to order my iPhone 8 if T-Mobile does another trade in deal.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The paragraph of disclaimers at the bottom doesn't inspire confidence.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

SeANMcBAY posted:

It's especially bad if you're ordering a new iPhone as pre-orders go up. I'm calling this year to order my iPhone 8 if T-Mobile does another trade in deal.

What were the iphone deals that T-mobile had in the past on/near release? I have an aging 6S that I'm himming and hawing about upgrading in the near future. Can't see myself leaving T-mobile anytime soon so maybe a carrier upgrade deal may be in the cards if the deal is right.

I've had some insane Black Friday deals w/T-mo (2 free tablets and tablet lines) so interested to see what could be in the cards.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

wormil posted:

The paragraph of disclaimers at the bottom doesn't inspire confidence.

The first half of disclaimers is just "video speeds are capped at 480p (on cellular) and we may reprioritize you at anytime for network congestion."

The second half is a bunch of disclaimers so they don't get sued by companies on Wall Street.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

TraderStav posted:

What were the iphone deals that T-mobile had in the past on/near release? I have an aging 6S that I'm himming and hawing about upgrading in the near future. Can't see myself leaving T-mobile anytime soon so maybe a carrier upgrade deal may be in the cards if the deal is right.

I've had some insane Black Friday deals w/T-mo (2 free tablets and tablet lines) so interested to see what could be in the cards.

When the IPhone 6 came out they were doing a deal where they would match the trade in value of any other carrier, plus $50 to sweeten the deal. AT&T and others were doing $200 for the iPhone 4, and I remember getting $250 for mine.

iPhone 7 had promotions for a free iPhone 7 when you traded in an iPhone 6 or newer, but it was in the form of bill credits over 24 month that you would lose if you canceled.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Astro7x posted:

When the IPhone 6 came out they were doing a deal where they would match the trade in value of any other carrier, plus $50 to sweeten the deal. AT&T and others were doing $200 for the iPhone 4, and I remember getting $250 for mine.

iPhone 7 had promotions for a free iPhone 7 when you traded in an iPhone 6 or newer, but it was in the form of bill credits over 24 month that you would lose if you canceled.

I assume the iPhone 7 was new line only, correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

TraderStav posted:

I assume the iPhone 7 was new line only, correct?

It wasn't. I did this deal even on a line I had already.