Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Hace posted:

No, more donkey kong please
:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm ready for another attempt at a 3D Donkey Kong. Make the Super Mario 3D World of Donkey Kongs

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Andrast posted:

There is like no correlation between dumb embargoes and game quality though

Yeah, something like 99% of embargos are day before or day of release. The only mark of a potential poo poo game is a company not sending out review copies at all, the videogame equivalent of a movie not being screened for critics.

Lodin posted:

Laura Dale mentioned that that the review embargo for Mario/Rabbids is up today but most people only got download codes yesterday. In other words any review popping up in a couple of hours will be worthless trash.

Most people is interesting given I've seen a lot of games media types talking about it on podcasts since last week.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah I've seen multiple people all over streaming it and posting videos of the game nonstop.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I just wish they all happened like 4 or 5 days before release so if a game is garbage I can cancel the preorder without having to ship it back

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Man, I really enjoyed ARMS' Global Testpunch this weekend. I'd love to play it some more but at €50 I'm not sure I can justify getting it over Splatoon 2 or Mario Xcom.

I think I'll wait and see whether it becomes better as they add more content or it just crashes and burns.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I just wish they all happened like 4 or 5 days before release so if a game is garbage I can cancel the preorder without having to ship it back

Why pre-order a game you're not sure about? I mean the real question is why pre-order a game in the first place but that's a given

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

EpicNemesis posted:

I must be missing something because I can only get the main menu Tetris to play to 150 lines, and none of the modes from the ds Tetris that I liked are in this one. You are either a dirty rotten liar or I am a dirty rotten dumbass.

Third option, I am forgetting all the different modes there were in past Tetris games.

Still, it's a great game, buy it.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Third option, I am forgetting all the different modes there were in past Tetris games.

Still, it's a great game, buy it.

No, PPT is pretty awful relative to The New Tetris and Tetris DX. You people just haven't played a Tetris game in a long while.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Aug 28, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

KingEup posted:

No, PPT is pretty awful relative to The New Tetris and Tetris DX.

Tetris DX's Puyo Puyo mode is pretty bad, tbh

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I can't wait for the Anti-Preorder Militia to weigh in on whether you should pre-order games or not.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Yeah I've seen multiple people all over streaming it and posting videos of the game nonstop.

This is part of a larger industry shift to reward influencers and streamers who do not consider themselves press and/or lack understanding of press ethics and are easily captured to be free PR by the publishers. Actual outlets with standards about not having their reviewers bribed are getting frozen out until the last minute

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

irlZaphod posted:

I can't wait for the Anti-Preorder Militia to weigh in on whether you should pre-order games or not.

Here come the militia, here we are ready to deliver you this hot message:

Do not preorder games. Please.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I preorder games a lot

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Rabbids embargo up, reviews coming out and pretty much every single one seems to be super positive.

Also don't pre-order games unless you're 100% certain you're going to buy it day 1 anyway.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Double Dragon 4 is coming to the Switch

http://www.arcsystemworks.jp/dd4sw/

:geno:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

njsykora posted:

Rabbids embargo up, reviews coming out and pretty much every single one seems to be super positive.

Also don't pre-order games unless you're 100% certain you're going to buy it day 1 anyway.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This is part of a larger industry shift to reward influencers and streamers who do not consider themselves press and/or lack understanding of press ethics and are easily captured to be free PR by the publishers. Actual outlets with standards about not having their reviewers bribed are getting frozen out until the last minute

But GameXplain is the bastion of serious gaming journalism. Let me fire up the old analysis machine

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

Double Dragon 4 is coming to the Switch

http://www.arcsystemworks.jp/dd4sw/

:geno:

Is it not perfect for the Switch?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Mario + Rabbids is averaging 85% on Metacritic including a 9 from Gamespot and a 7.7 from IGN.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Every game is perfect for the Switch but that does not mean we must care about every game on the Switch: the perfect game console.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's pretty meh for everything

Neon would be perfect for Switch.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

i preordered the shootman rabbit game

I'm gonna walk my fat rear end into a gamestop look the employee in the eye and go yes. I really do want this stupid mario rabbit game. No. you will not stop me.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Elman posted:

Man, I really enjoyed ARMS' Global Testpunch this weekend. I'd love to play it some more but at €50 I'm not sure I can justify getting it over Splatoon 2 or Mario Xcom.

I think I'll wait and see whether it becomes better as they add more content or it just crashes and burns.

You can probably get a physical copy for pretty cheap

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Frankston posted:

Mario + Rabbids is averaging 85% on Metacritic including a 9 from Gamespot and a 7.7 from IGN.

The 7.7 score from IGN is funny cause the reviewer is their supposedly super strategy game guy yet he knocks the game for "devolving in a game of trial and error" and multiple other reviewers have come out saying "uh...no you're given all the information at the start there's nothing that pops up mid mission to gently caress you over" so he's basically admitting he's bad at strategy games inadvertently and blames the game :lol:

I can't recall any other console where I've bought one game every month using its launch year yet here I am planning on buying a loving Rabbids game tomorrow

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Aug 28, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I do not feel like there is much risk in missing out for not ordering so I'm just gonna walk into GameStop tomorrow and hope for the best.

Also the boss in In Mechanical Maniac Maze Act 2 or whatever it's called is really tough. I burned five lives on him yesterday and haven't felt like trying again since cause both those acts are so long.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

njsykora posted:

Alternatively, do whatever you want.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Going to have some trouble remembering how to take BOTW out of the machine for Rabbids tomorrow. I don't think its left since March.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Frankston posted:

This would make it the best reviewed Ubisoft game this year so far and the best reviewed $60 Ubisoft game since Far Cry 4 and South Park: The Stick of Truth in 2014.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

irlZaphod posted:

Alternatively, do whatever you want.

Well duh, but if the dude is worried about quality then he's not the ideal pre orderer

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Al Borland Corp. posted:

But GameXplain is the bastion of serious gaming journalism. Let me fire up the old analysis machine

Looks like the embargo is up at GameXplain and the article is out! Let's see what we've got here:

quote:

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle has dynamic turn-based combat and co-op challenges, with puzzle solving along the way.

Thanks, GameXplain! You really explained the game!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wait, the Switch actually does have built in voice chat?

quote:

Searched but didn't find anything.

So this isn't about normal local wireless play, it's the one where you are all connected to the same router and you press a button combination (I think it's L+R+Left stick). It then uses the router in a LAN configuration. This is much more stable than just wirelessly interconnected Switches.

Which is why we did it last week for our Splatoon game in a pub. One of us had a microphone on his headphones, and the second we switched into the LAN lobby we heard what he was saying VERY LOUDLY in our speakers. Was quite a shock really.

This means they implemented seamless voice chat, no app required, but allowed using it only for LAN play (not even normal local wireless, WTF?) which, frankly, is probably the least useful scenario for voice chat, since you're probably all in the same room anyway.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1424394

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

That's like when they essentially put in video chat (well, I think it was just a video feed, not sure if there was audio) for Starfox 64 3D but it only worked for local multiplayer.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Something bugs the core of my being that Splatoon 2 reviewed worse than a rabbids spin off, but then I shrug and am glad at least it'll mean more people using their switch.

Still not giving Ubisoft my money tho, and I still got a lot of Disgaea left

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It’s a bold move for Nintendo to have released a console months ago when the first good game comes out tomorrow but I am glad I got it early so I can play Mario+Rabbids all day tomorrow.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It’s a bold move for Nintendo to have released a console months ago when the first good game comes out tomorrow
Where is this copy+paste of a post from 2nd March 2017 from?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

njsykora posted:

The pre-order discount on Amazon plus free return shipping seems legit though? I mean I buy digital so it doesn't matter to me.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

NRVNQSR posted:

Embargoes have gotten crazy recently; you just don't hear about it often because one of the terms is always "don't talk about the embargo". It's completely normal these days for the conditions on getting a game early to be things like "You may post three hours of video, but no one video may be longer than half an hour. You may not release screenshots of Regular Luigi or Rabbid Yoshi, but they may appear in videos. Videos cannot include Regular Yoshi or any stages containing lava. You can describe the game as you play it, but this cannot be a review and you may only speak for 15 minutes on one video. You may not impersonate Charles Martinet in any coverage."

Several years ago there was a WWE game released, and one of the stipulations for reviews was that no images could be published showing wrestler Triple H (who was the world champion at the time) in a prone or vulnerable position.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Two Beans posted:

Several years ago there was a WWE game released, and one of the stipulations for reviews was that no images could be published showing wrestler Triple H (who was the world champion at the time) in a prone or vulnerable position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Just finished going through most of the reviews from sites I typically enjoy and the game sounds awesome. It's funny seeing one of the negatives people list as it's odd seeing Mario pull out a gun and cap someone's rear end, but to me that makes the whole thing even better. I look forward to it being bizarre. Anyways, yeah, for sure picking this up tomorrow. Can't wait for Mario X-Com.

• Locked thread