Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Caphi posted:

They also have notably different roles. It's not at all like the God Generals or Chimeriad where they line up perfectly with the PC party. Eugene is buddies with Waltu, Saleh gets his weird hate-crush on Veigue, and Hilda has her whole history with Milizza and Toma. Annie and Mao have their own things going on.

Despite Saleh trying to make things personal with Veigue I found it interesting he was not actually much of a recurring boss. Only being fought twice and always with Toma. (Who meanwhile was fought 4 or 5 times, I can't remember exactly, guess it's because he made it really personal with Hilda.)

I feel Saleh and Toma work well is because while they are fairly flat pieces of poo poo. We do have more complicated and sympathetic villains as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Caphi posted:

Sorey was pretty much born into it. Zenrai has been grooming him from infancy for the job and all but expected him to do it when he allowed him to leave the village.

But I mean more in terms of stuff like "everyone knows who the Chosen is but not everyone respects or likes it" and "how do you weigh your responsibility against your emotions" which have been brought up for Colette and almost brought up for Sorey, not to mention "she's suffering but she's hiding it from her companions" (in Symphonia it's not their fault but it's still kind of a relationship beat).

Also once I was going on about the fake Shepherd being completely pointless and the other person was like "it's probably a reference to the fake Colette."

Fair enough, I guess I'm just thinking as someone who has finished Symphonia and would thus see it differently. There's... things to be said about Symphonia but you're about forty hours too soon to really know much of it.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'd count that one Dark Wings fight as a Saleh fight.

Momomo posted:

Fair enough, I guess I'm just thinking as someone who has finished Symphonia and would thus see it differently. There's... things to be said about Symphonia but you're about forty hours too soon to really know much of it.

Look y'all said the writing starts strong and then falls apart, let me have it while I can.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you're like halfway through sylvarant so it's gonna be like another five hours before symphonia really starts showing its cracks

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
To be honest even from the getgo I was not on board with Symphonia's story. "Your name is Lloyd?" might be the worst line in JRPG history.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Eh, the plotting is old-fashioned but serviceable. The main issue I've had so far is that Palmacosta tells you to go about three different ways and the cutscene triggers got very confused when I did them out of an order it didn't fully communicate. The biggest one was when Lloyd said he was going to attack the ranch but the game expected me to swing by the House of Salvation first instead so it could... tell me to attack the ranch, forgetting that it had put a back trail to it as well.

The battle system is still really annoying but I'm starting to get acclimatized, I think.

Also the overworld walk speed is just confirming to me that when people say the new games have giant expanses of nothing between areas because the Xillia perspective ruined Tales, they do not remember what they're talking about at all.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
lol yeah, even when you get the rheairds they control so awkwardly that they don't really offer a much better way to navigate across the slow-rear end map

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
World Map vehicles in Symphonia are super weird to control until you realize you can just ignore all physics by using the C-Stick to control them instead of the accelerate/brake buttons. Combine that by holding L+R to force the camera northwards and you can just navigate by the map in the corner. It's dumb but it works.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I think Symphonia does have some pretty great writing left in it in the second half, although most of it is centered around Zelos (who is an amazing character). This means that to access the best parts and/or really understand the significance of stuff Zelos does during the main story you have to push him to be your soulmate, and he's officially the hardest character to do this with.

He even gets to replace Colette for a pep talk in one moment of the story where no-one else being your soulmate has any effect. It kinda feels like there were plans for a greater focus on him that fell through at some point.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there absolutely was a greater focus that got cut, they constantly hint at that stuff for the entire middle chunk of the game but do gently caress-all with it to instead spend time on tedious fetch quests and there's no goddamn reason to make a big deal about his sister when she only appears three times in the entire game and only two of those times are relevant to anything

i tried to get max affection with zelos but it being so hard meant the extent of his character i got to see was the standard bad, disjointed plot stuff symphonia is littered with, and a really awkward side quest. and some really goods skits

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Getting affection with anyone outside of like, Sheena (or obviously Colette, but she didn't need the help), is so hard that I just keep this open at all times: https://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/765388-tales-of-symphonia/faqs/68566 Which among other things lists every single instance where you can, heh, affect the affection system in the game.

Did you know you can raise/lower it by cooking with ingredients the characters like/dislike? Which are listed nowhere in the game? And some characters don't have likes/dislikes?? And it only alters the value by 1 whole goddang point, whereas any other interaction does so in multiples of 60 points??? And this whole thing only works if loving Lloyd, one of the worst cooks in the game, is the person doing the cooking????

Hope you enjoy sitting next to an ingredient store and going shopping every twenty meals. Symphonia, man. This game owns (unironically).

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i wish i could say symphonia owns

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Symphonia owned when I was 11

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Paul Zuvella posted:

Symphonia owned when I was 11

yeah

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

you are saying way too many words in an anime cutscene without subtitles for me claire

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Future arc Richard is absolutely killing it

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

I don't like Hubert's crush on Pascal

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Amidst Symphonia, I've got my roommate to start Berseria and I'm P2. He's enjoying it. He's actually the person who told me that he isn't a fan of tilting the stick to choose artes; he likes Berseria's button layout and considers combo-building along the track "simplified." We'll see how that progresses once we get more than 7 artes each.

(Early game Rokurou is painful. Once he's a bit kitted he's so much fun for me but goddamn, his starting arteset is 50% awkward poo poo with no strike range where he goes flying in a random direction afterwards with no real way to continue, his Break Soul is useless because no one has enough Focus to stun reliably, and he's competing for kills with fuckin' Velvet.)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It's cool that they at least give you a real nice dagger at the point where he actually starts to be fun to play as though.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
I love future arc Graces. Probably my ideal Tales game is like some open world game with little story with a nice mix of dumb characters and funny characters that just have fun and cute skits all the time. Great dungeons and great fight system and great skits. Really all I want.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
A lot of my crack structural ideas for an open world Tales were stolen by Breath of the Wild. You'd have six directions you can broadly go, each of which has a subplot that ends with you getting the service of a major spirit, and on the way one or two NPCs will help you in that region/get involved in its plot and eventually become party members you can call anywhere. When you get all the spirits you summon Origin or Maxwell or Yuris or whatever and have a final boss fight. You get exploration commands from somewhere, either something elemental or by having the right party member with you.

The main character should be a pair of twins like Mel and Dio so they can bicker regardless of who's around. And a mascot I guess because those are contractually required. Valkyrie makes a cameo.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

ruta posted:

great fight system

love to feel powerless every couple of battles for 5 seconds

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Lessail posted:

love to feel powerless every couple of battles for 5 seconds

Same but Overlimit.

Honestly just use Destiny's Blast Gauge for everything forever.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Caphi posted:

Same but Overlimit.

Honestly just use Destiny's Blast Gauge for everything forever.

Just rename it the "friendship gauge" and only the player gets "friendship burst" and it's ok

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
No I'm talking about the enemy version. In Destiny you see a counter that starts at 0%, goes up quickly when you attack an enemy, and decays slowly over time. When it reaches 100%, the enemy gets to do one strong (specific) action without interrupt and then it resets. It's like Eleth Break in that you can theoretically see it coming, but it's an arte/spell you can defend against instead of five seconds of running away.

PS2 Destiny is the perfect Tales, basically.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Man I'd love to see an HD port of Destiny Director's Cut, somehow.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Raxivace posted:

Man I'd love to see an HD port of Destiny Director's Cut, somehow.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Between the stuff ruta said about B/Z being close to the endpoint of the plane system and some other conversations I've had (especially since starting Symphonia), I feel more and more strongly that it'd be cool to see another major 2D Tales.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
I'd like to try Breath of the Wild one day which is to say I'd like Nintendo to port their games to PC one day, but we all know that'll never happen because Nintendo. That being said, I don't really like the idea of optional characters to be added to a pair of siblings so much. Optional characters usually means skits get dominated by the main characters because there's no guarantee the others will be around. At the very least, if they did something like that, I'd like at least four base characters and a mascot. And I consider characters under the age of 15 to be mascot characters, no matter how much character growth they get.

I do like the idea of six vague directions for your spirits, with random dungeons on the way (some optional for side quests and wandering) before finishing with an ultimate dungeon with the spirit. I'd also like those dungeons to be built around the spirit in such a way that they make the final fight unique. That'd be super cool.

Fake edit: you can combo enemies through their Eleth Break. You can even perform your Mystic Arte on them in their Eleth Break. You just need to believe. Actually, this was one of the major issues with the Graces combat system.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Since this is a fantasy where I have complete directive control I'd push it to do Xillia 2's strategy where the region characters are the main characters, while the twins are supporting actors who anchor their problems to whatever excuse there is for finding all the spirits. I've railed against X2's writing around the timelines before but I think the problem was one of execution - Ludger's character specifically, the dating-sim feel, and the disconnection between him and Xillia's plots - more than concept. The problem would be grounding the twin's "development" in a timeline where most of the game could be done in any order other than the beginning, end, and maybe one of those Mega Man interludes where something big happens when you complete half the stages.

tl;dr the twins would take second priority whenever someone else's plotline is happening. It would largely be six miniature plots with a thread to keep them together.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

So Tales of Symphonia 2, got it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ruta posted:

And I consider characters under the age of 15 to be mascot characters, no matter how much character growth they get.
what

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

ruta posted:

I'd like to try Breath of the Wild one day which is to say I'd like Nintendo to port their games to PC one day, but we all know that'll never happen because Nintendo.

Yeah only Nintendo refuses to make decisions that are not at all in their best interest. All those other companies love losing money and making their services look less valuable.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

i'll send in my application to be the next mascot character wish me luck

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.

See, Sophie is in the same spot Repede is. Coincidence? I think not.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Ometeotl posted:

Yeah only Nintendo refuses to make decisions that are not at all in their best interest. All those other companies love losing money and making their services look less valuable.

Yeah it's not like Sony first party titles hit PC either.

Only Microsoft seems willing to port first party stuff and it's precisely because the Xbox One isn't doing very well at all.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

ruta posted:

And I consider characters under the age of 15 to be mascot characters, no matter how much character growth they get.

Disagree firmly.

I know Rita Mordio is declared to be exactly 15, but if you count her we're gonna have issues.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
If you include characters who are 15 you'll get a lot of main characters, but I doubt they are.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Fair enough, I just have fond memories of her in particular and she's the only Tales character who's age I actually know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

raine being 23 is still the worst official age. she should be like thirty.