Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

immolationsex posted:

When would you say that part begins? I listened to ep 20? 30? or so some time ago, and the wackiness never seemed to stop

The wackiness abates a bit in episode 12 when Hilbert tries to murder all of them on orders of their superiors. The show is still more or less a comedy, but it gets progressively darker from then on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Season 2 of Homecoming is, after Magnus Archives, the best executed second season in any story podcast I've listened to.

ATribeCalledKvetch
Nov 5, 2010

I do hate myself, but it has nothing to do with being Jewish.
Since Tanis is apparently getting a TV show produced, is it actually worth listening to it? I listened to The Black Tapes all the way through, and went from liking the conceit and promise of what they were setting up until I realized they were just going the LOST path and throwing up a whole bunch of dumb questions they didn't care to really answer, and used the same 5 stock musical backing tracks and 5 annoying sound effects to extremely inappropriate ends. I avoided Tanis for that reason, assuming it'd be similar given the shared universe and thus same producer - is it better than TBT?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Gregoriev posted:

Since Tanis is apparently getting a TV show produced, is it actually worth listening to it? I listened to The Black Tapes all the way through, and went from liking the conceit and promise of what they were setting up until I realized they were just going the LOST path and throwing up a whole bunch of dumb questions they didn't care to really answer, and used the same 5 stock musical backing tracks and 5 annoying sound effects to extremely inappropriate ends. I avoided Tanis for that reason, assuming it'd be similar given the shared universe and thus same producer - is it better than TBT?

I'd say it's considerably worse than The Black Tapes. The only reason I made it through season 2 of TBT is that I like Strand as a character. Tanis doesn't have anyone near as interesting, and by midway through season 2 it was just throwing out every conspiracy theory on Wikipedia and vaguely hinting that Tanis is somehow related. The plot is really complicated (my favorite moment was a dramatic reveal that two characters were secretly the same person and I couldn't remember who either one of them were) and you need a flowchart to keep it straight. It compares unfavorably to Magnus Archives in that way- MA also has a sprawling meta-plot, but most episodes are self-contained, so you can still enjoy it even if you can't keep track of all the series long plot threads.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Montalvo posted:

Season 2 of Homecoming is, after Magnus Archives, the best executed second season in any story podcast I've listened to.

Becky remains the best character. "Please hum 3 ascending notes."

Gregoriev posted:

Tanis consists only of everything you just said you hated about TBTP.

Hostile Worlds is a "dramamentary" series by the people who did A Scottish Podcast and has the same kind of dry humor. Only one episode has aired, so I'm not entirely sure where it's going.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Slamhound posted:

Becky remains the best character. "Please hum 3 ascending notes."

I got a good guffaw out of Colin talking about misandry. It fits his character / the characters that David Schwimmer plays so well.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Heads up, my phone just alerted me that the new Black Tapes is up. Not the biggest fan in the world, but I'm going to see it through.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

It's more of a minor player, but Mr. Biggs is back, and he's talking about adhesives.

http://askmrbiggs.com/category/stick-it-with-mr-biggs/

The original Ask Mr. Biggs was a spoofed radio call-in show that ran until 2012, with Mr. Biggs, sort of a combination of Hank Hill's mechanical know-how, a know-it-all alpha male neighbor, with a reverse-Jerky-Boys thing. The show would take old recordings of phone calls to actual radio shows, chop up the caller's script, and paste it in within the context of Biggs' show.

I don't know if it was ever hilarious, but I liked it, and it had some light world-building. Good background noise for getting work done.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Montalvo posted:

I got a good guffaw out of Colin talking about misandry. It fits his character / the characters that David Schwimmer plays so well.

I've spent the last two seasons hearing David Schwimmer and his name and in my mind's eye just picturing David Cross. I'm not sure I want to change this.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

is the "intern" in the new Black Tapes a contest winner or something because lol

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

oatgan posted:

is the "intern" in the new Black Tapes a contest winner or something because lol

I don't know, I think they deserve an acting award for being able to say things like

quote:

What if the Pythagorean Comma is the Unsound? The sound that Lucifer made when he was cast out of heaven?

and not burst out laughing. I've gotten to the point where I enjoy TBT on a purely camp level, laughing at how they can be so serious about such ridiculous stuff. Also, the diagetic ads should die. I don't want to hear Alex Regan talking about how Me-Undies "cradle your jewels."

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
At this point I'd really rather have podcasts just use straight ad audio from the company, like a radio ad.

Blue Apron is not sweeping the nation's podcasters and all their friends and family with meals like roasted lemon pork butt with salt cod and rosemary turmeric.

I also wish some other loving people would sponsor podcasts, like at this point who the gently caress listens to podcasts and hasn't heard of poo poo like audible or blue apron or that loving razor company?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Podcasters must go through a lot of underwear, too. I get ads from Mack Weldon and Me Undies constantly.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Someone explain to me why Lore is getting a tv show. It's literally just a dude reading wikipedia pages at me.

Edit: I only ask here because The Black Tapes was called Lore-like which got me to check it out way back when

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

If Lore becomes a TV show I hope they get a host who has a normal talking cadence

also god drat Magnus Archives once again, next season cant come soon enough! the books have always been my favorite stories so I'm sad about Mr Leitner, also jesus loving christ Elias :stare:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Tweak posted:

If Lore becomes a TV show I hope they get a host who has a normal talking cadence

also god drat Magnus Archives once again, next season cant come soon enough! the books have always been my favorite stories so I'm sad about Mr Leitner, also jesus loving christ Elias :stare:

Not if. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6130902/

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Jesus loving Christ, Magnus. :stare:

These guys REALLY know how to do this poo poo. I don't want them to go away, but they are destined for much greater things.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

At this point I'd really rather have podcasts just use straight ad audio from the company, like a radio ad.

Blue Apron is not sweeping the nation's podcasters and all their friends and family with meals like roasted lemon pork butt with salt cod and rosemary turmeric.

I also wish some other loving people would sponsor podcasts, like at this point who the gently caress listens to podcasts and hasn't heard of poo poo like audible or blue apron or that loving razor company?

It's not like corporations advertise on tv because they think nobody's heard of Busweiser either. They're just hoping that repeatedly driving their name into your head will get you to impulse buy at some point.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Will you guys let me know if there's any Magnus content on the Patreon other than scripts? I'm going to drop my pledge for a bit mostly because I don't care about the RQG stuff but partly because I'm a broke rear end bitch.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
So just to clarify re that last episode of Magnus: John interviews Jurgen in his office / the statement room; Elias somehow makes his way in there while Johnathan is out, beats Jurgen to death; Johnathan isn't seen for a few days and Martin and the other dude find the corpse in his office?. I don't know why I'm having such a hard time following this.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Montalvo posted:

So just to clarify re that last episode of Magnus: John interviews Jurgen in his office / the statement room; Elias somehow makes his way in there while Johnathan is out, beats Jurgen to death; Johnathan isn't seen for a few days and Martin and the other dude find the corpse in his office?. I don't know why I'm having such a hard time following this.

This is close to correct, but I'm not sure it's "John isn't seen for a few days" as much as "some unknown amount of time passes after John finds Jurgen, Tim and Martin think it's days but they've also been trapped by a supernatural entity known as "the distortion"/"the liar" so who knows.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Magnus Archives spoilers

Gertrude and Jurgen were played by Johnny's parents.

That's a talented family

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 31, 2017

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

theblackw0lf posted:

Magnus Archives

Gertrude and Jurgen were played by Johnny's parents.

That's a talented family

Holy poo poo, I missed that. Well done indeed. I'd love to hear a tape of the two of them down the road.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Arcsech posted:

This is close to correct, but I'm not sure it's "John isn't seen for a few days" as much as "some unknown amount of time passes after John finds Jurgen, Tim and Martin think it's days but they've also been trapped by a supernatural entity known as "the distortion"/"the liar" so who knows.

Got it, thanks. I feel like this show demands a greater degree of concentration and attention than I give podcasts.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The only ones that seem plausible to me are the ones on Crooked Media (Pod Save America, Pod Save the World, With Friends Like These, etc.- all non-fiction, but really good if you're into politics and/or hate Donald Trump). The hosts relentlessly mock the trite ad copy, but then tell personal stories and hash out grievances related to the products. "We all had to buy matching Indo-Chino suits in 'heteronormative blue' for your wedding!" "You can order food from Postmates, but wait until we're done watching Game of Thrones!" etc. All they have to do is read the script, so if those testimonials aren't real, then they're putting a lot of effort into writing scenarios that match their personalities.

Montalvo posted:

Got it, thanks. I feel like this show demands a greater degree of concentration and attention than I give podcasts.

Yeah, one of my biggest problems is that anytime it's just one person talking my mind tends to wander, and that's almost all Magnus is. Still, I'm working through the beginning of Season 2 and mostly enjoying it. Thanks for using spoiler text on the discussion of the season finale. I saw that they finally meet Jurgen, who runs the library. That was an interesting plotline, and I'm also amused that his name is almost my screenname, by coincidence.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

New Leaf posted:

Jesus loving Christ, Magnus. :stare:

These guys REALLY know how to do this poo poo. I don't want them to go away, but they are destined for much greater things.

Yea I hope some TV or film producer is hearing this podcast. Would love to see their talent on the screen. Maybe not with The Magnus Archives though (not sure if TV is a good format)

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Len posted:

Someone explain to me why Lore is getting a tv show. It's literally just a dude reading wikipedia pages at me.

I haven't listened to Lore, but given my wife's love of true crime shows I can see how it would work. You'd have a reenactment of whatever story is being told playing, and a narrator can describe it through voiceover. Maybe you cut in with experts talking about the plausibility or historical evidence for the events.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Wolf 359 just keeps getting better this season. I wish I'd posted my predictions earlier, because I totally called it several episodes ago. The aliens want Doug to take a "leap of faith" (a la Last Crusade) by throwing himself into the star. Somehow it's supposed to teleport him to them or get him to meet them or something like that. He went through with it. Also, Jacobi and Minkowsi have a long conversation about murder and responsibility. Oh, and the override codes are "EULER" and "WOLFRAM," keeping with the mathematics motif.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Jurgan posted:

Wolf 359 just keeps getting better this season. I wish I'd posted my predictions earlier, because I totally called it several episodes ago. The aliens want Doug to take a "leap of faith" (a la Last Crusade) by throwing himself into the star. Somehow it's supposed to teleport him to them or get him to meet them or something like that. He went through with it. Also, Jacobi and Minkowsi have a long conversation about murder and responsibility. Oh, and the override codes are "EULER" and "WOLFRAM," keeping with the mathematics motif.

This season has been extremely good but I'm also glad the series has a set end point.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Mr E posted:

This season has been extremely good but I'm also glad the series has a set end point.

Agreed. It's good precisely because it's racing towards a climax. If they were trying to keep going for the next five years, then they'd never do anything as daring as some of the recent episodes.

Sidestep
May 16, 2012

Normally the recommend function in my podcast app is garbage, but it turned up something pretty interesting this morning.

quote:

https://www.ottoradio.com/podcast/tribulation

Tribulation

On a deserted stretch of highway, Greg and Stacy Carlson stumble on a faint radio broadcast at the end of the AM dial. What sounds like your average radio sermon reveals itself to be something far more sinister. Strangely fascinated, Greg becomes obsessed with investigating the source of the broadcast. His subsequent disappearance leaves Stacy alone, bewildered, terrified . . . and on a quest for the truth.

I have only made it through a couple episodes so far, but it has definitely been worth the time spent. I have a weakness for weird tales around creepy apocalyptic Jesus cults of all flavors and this doesn't dissappoint. The voice acting is solid, the production values seem pretty high and the end of the first episode is a great hook.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Sidestep posted:

Normally the recommend function in my podcast app is garbage, but it turned up something pretty interesting this morning.

I have only made it through a couple episodes so far, but it has definitely been worth the time spent. I have a weakness for weird tales around creepy apocalyptic Jesus cults of all flavors and this doesn't dissappoint. The voice acting is solid, the production values seem pretty high and the end of the first episode is a great hook.

Never heard of this, but it sounds amazing. Definitely adding it to my list.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Season 2 of Within the Wires also started today. I really enjoyed the first season, so here's hoping the second one is as good.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

This is my disappointment when I realize that refreshing The Magnus Archive feed will do nothing since last week was the season finale.

Sidestep
May 16, 2012

Hughlander posted:

This is my disappointment when I realize that refreshing The Magnus Archive feed will do nothing since last week was the season finale.

Have they mentioned a specific return date beyond "late 2017"?

No Magnus archive leaves a big hole in my work week.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Podcasts are driving me up a wall. I loved Night Vale right up until the end of the first season when they went full hog on pandering to the fanbase, and I've never been able to recapture the magic. Every single one I try, and I've tried most of the ones in the OP, have at least one big annoying thing that bugs the hell out of me or generally isn't to my tastes. :(

Magnus Archives seems okay, but it's so unironically overdramatic it's hard to take seriously, and the first person narration tends to fall flat. Actually, I may be biased against first person narration in general, because it almost always comes across as a bit insufferable. I guess I really have no one to blame but myself for what I like and don't like in media, but I feel compelled to keep looking for a podcast I like despite even the best washing over me in a wave of apathy. Maybe I just really, really miss the Night Vale I liked.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

TenCentFang posted:

Podcasts are driving me up a wall. I loved Night Vale right up until the end of the first season when they went full hog on pandering to the fanbase, and I've never been able to recapture the magic. Every single one I try, and I've tried most of the ones in the OP, have at least one big annoying thing that bugs the hell out of me or generally isn't to my tastes. :(

Magnus Archives seems okay, but it's so unironically overdramatic it's hard to take seriously, and the first person narration tends to fall flat. Actually, I may be biased against first person narration in general, because it almost always comes across as a bit insufferable. I guess I really have no one to blame but myself for what I like and don't like in media, but I feel compelled to keep looking for a podcast I like despite even the best washing over me in a wave of apathy. Maybe I just really, really miss the Night Vale I liked.

I really hate that if a creative project changes as it gets more popular, they are accused of "pandering" or "selling out." Fink, Cranor, et. al. changed the format gradually based on what they wanted to do. Certainly getting feedback will have an influence, but they shouldn't force themselves to keep things exactly the same for five years if they want to do something different. You're welcome not to like it, but accusations about their motives strike me as unfounded.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I got tired of Night Vale myself for similar reasons (not gonna argue about pandering, but it definitely drifted away from what I liked about it, and everything else Fink does has a similar touch), but I just listened to something else instead. You might just wanna try audiobooks.

I've been listening to audio dramas since I was a kid. My dad had these tapes of old radio shows from the 30's. They all have more than a touch of melodrama and overacting. It's either just part of the heritage or something that flowers from the medium itself.

Audiobooks are great. You can go as high or low brow as you want, and many of them are read by decent actors. Pick a detective story or something that you'd never read but could maybe listen to. Or listen to old radio shows. I recommend anything by Stan Freeberg or Jack Benny, or if you want to go all self-serious, do Lights Out Everyone or The Shadow or Dragnet.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 13, 2017

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jurgan posted:

I really hate that if a creative project changes as it gets more popular, they are accused of "pandering" or "selling out." Fink, Cranor, et. al. changed the format gradually based on what they wanted to do. Certainly getting feedback will have an influence, but they shouldn't force themselves to keep things exactly the same for five years if they want to do something different. You're welcome not to like it, but accusations about their motives strike me as unfounded.

The specific ways it changed was mirrored by the fandom, but since it's not worth arguing about I guess I'll just say "okay, it started sucking, I was a fan until it stopped being good".

doctorfrog posted:

I got tired of Night Vale myself for similar reasons (not gonna argue about pandering, but it definitely drifted away from what I liked about it, and everything else Fink does has a similar touch), but I just listened to something else instead. You might just wanna try audiobooks.

...I'm not sure why I didn't think of this before. Good idea.

doctorfrog posted:

or Dragnet.

See, I actually loving love the Dragnet television show, but it never occurred to me to check out the original radio series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

TenCentFang posted:

The specific ways it changed was mirrored by the fandom, but since it's not worth arguing about I guess I'll just say "okay, it started sucking, I was a fan until it stopped being good".

*shrug*. I like it better. First season was just a guy talking about weird stuff. I like that they took incidental names like Steve Carlsberg or Old Woman Josie and developed them into real characters with relationships and actors. I also tend to like long story arcs, though the current swaps is more like the first season.

Also, just gonna say it, most of the time when people say it's "pandering to (Tumblr) fans," what they're really saying is "why did it have to get so gay?" Maybe that's not what you mean, but you didn't really say what your objection was, so...