Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

NitroSpazzz posted:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-suzuki-alto/?utm_source=dailymail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2017-08-28

This thing looks fun, shame about the decals being gone. Not sure if the front seats are better or worse than the original.

Oh you bastard. How am I supposed to not buy that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Rhyno posted:

Oh you bastard. How am I supposed to not buy that?

I may end up bidding, really tempted even though I'm trying to not buy anything right now. Will be interesting to see what it goes for.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

NitroSpazzz posted:

I may end up bidding, really tempted even though I'm trying to not buy anything right now. Will be interesting to see what it goes for.

I have a good chunk of non ear-marked money right now. Since mom and dad gave me money for the wedding I could absolutely buy that.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
BaT prices are inflated as hell, though.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Rhyno posted:

I have a good chunk of non ear-marked money right now. Since mom and dad gave me money for the wedding I could absolutely buy that.

Sounds like a swell idea, you can always get married at the courthouse.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Larrymer posted:

Sounds like a swell idea, you can always get married at the courthouse.

LoL, tell her that.

But no really, I could do a cash advance on a credit card and buy it right now. My lady said "it's hideous! but it's your money I guess."

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

NitroSpazzz posted:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-suzuki-alto/?utm_source=dailymail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2017-08-28

This thing looks fun, shame about the decals being gone. Not sure if the front seats are better or worse than the original.

Those front seats are original, in at least those are the types that would have come in that car. Might have been swapped with other ones at some point but those are Alto Works RS-* seats. The decals being gone is a crime and probably due to being repainted. Why they replaced the original steering wheel is beyond me, it isn't like it's some big airbag one, it looks quite a bit like this aftermarket one they have. Could have replaced it due to wear.
It also doesn't have any mention of timing belt* but it might be in the service history they have. As I recall there have been two of these before that have come up on BaT, one didn't meet it's reserve and the other one was sold as a no reserve but the seller pulled out and was banned from BaT. Since this one doesn't say no reserve I'm guessing it is going to be in the 8-9k range. Just a hunch though.

*In the comments it looks like the seller is saying the previous owner had it done? Normally it's a metallic sticker they plop on the timing cover itself but it might be the sticker on the frame of the car just in front of the cover.

EDIT
Speaking of decals

1985 Acty Street 4WD, with it's cool orange stripe decal. Doesn't have it's badges mounted (it was just repainted) but does include them. Inteiror is a little dirty and has a cigarette burn right in the driver's side crotch but gosh I love these things :allears:

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 28, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KakerMix posted:

Those front seats are original, in at least those are the types that would have come in that car. Might have been swapped with other ones at some point but those are Alto Works RS-* seats. The decals being gone is a crime and probably due to being repainted. Why they replaced the original steering wheel is beyond me, it isn't like it's some big airbag one, it looks quite a bit like this aftermarket one they have. Could have replaced it due to wear.
It also doesn't have any mention of timing belt* but it might be in the service history they have. As I recall there have been two of these before that have come up on BaT, one didn't meet it's reserve and the other one was sold as a no reserve but the seller pulled out and was banned from BaT.

*In the comments it looks like the seller is saying the previous owner had it done? Normally it's a metallic sticker they plop on the timing cover itself but it might be the sticker on the frame of the car just in front of the cover.

We seriously bounced this back and forth for the last hour and I decided not to bid. I'll probably regret it later but I really like the RS/Z's styling more so in 2019 you're gonna find me one of those.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Rhyno posted:

We seriously bounced this back and forth for the last hour and I decided not to bid. I'll probably regret it later but I really like the RS/Z's styling more so in 2019 you're gonna find me one of those.

While they don't come up often they still do come up so you shouldn't worry too much. Besides you might find something else that you like in that time!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KakerMix posted:

While they don't come up often they still do come up so you shouldn't worry too much. Besides you might find something else that you like in that time!

I am in love with the idea of a tiny car like this. I figure whatever I do in the spring for a new car (BMW, Evo whatever) I can probably sack away enough cash for a Kei in no time.

Just gotta learn to shift left handed.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Just gotta learn to shift left handed.

That's easy, the hard part is getting in on the right side of the car :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

why must life be so complicated!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
because Avril Lavigne

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

No way it's not flipping your wipers on when you go to use your turn signal

EDIT

BlackMK4 posted:

because Avril Lavigne

a Michelle Branch fan out there is v. upset with you

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 28, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

I make the switch US/UK maybe six times a year for at least 3-4 days at a stretch in the UK and I find the hardest part is the shifting. Every time I go to change gears in the UK I smack the door with my right hand, which reminds me hey idiot use your left hand to work the lever.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Lol yep forgot about that one.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I make the switch US/UK maybe six times a year for at least 3-4 days at a stretch in the UK and I find the hardest part is the shifting. Every time I go to change gears in the UK I smack the door with my right hand, which reminds me hey idiot use your left hand to work the lever.

That's funny, for me shifting wasn't an issue at all. I tend to leave my hand on the shifter tho so maybe that's why, it's already there.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KakerMix posted:

Actually, that's more a country-of-manufacture thing than a country-of-use thing. Most cars in the UK will have the same "lights on left, wipers on right" layout you're used to. It's just as bad for us when Japanese/Korean stuff doesn't.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 29, 2017

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

I used to work in a shop down the road from a business that imported Hijets, and I lusted much over them. 4wd flatbed/hinge side bed loving rad little jobmobile. Man, all the vehicles in this thread are the coolest.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

stevobob posted:

I used to work in a shop down the road from a business that imported Hijets, and I lusted much over them. 4wd flatbed/hinge side bed loving rad little jobmobile. Man, all the vehicles in this thread are the coolest.

To get a nice quality kei truck will cost you about 2000k to have it landed at a port in the USA. The question is why don't you have one already?

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Want a kei truck bad. What is parts availability like for these? Would I be importing every little part?

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

BlackMK4 posted:

BaT prices are inflated as hell, though.

Someone tell me why BaT is not considered the mecum/Jackson of online automobile auctions...

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

InitialDave posted:

Actually, that's more a country-of-manufacture thing than a country-of-use thing. Most cars in the UK will have the same "lights on left, wipers on right" layout you're used to. It's just as bad for us when Japanese/Korean stuff doesn't.

Down here in the colonies we get a bit of everything. Generally everything Euro or American is lights left, wipers right and everything Japanese is the opposite. Except when things get funky, like say when Subaru first started selling diesel Legacy's down here. See those, we simply got UK spec cars, which meant RHD but lights left, wipers right, unlike every single other Subaru sold here.

For sale locally, talk about a HI-jet!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

InitialDave posted:

My car is indicators on the right and thusly every other car or van I drive has me using the wipers when I want to indicate. Annoying but there we go.

Also I forgot the Toyota Bb Open Deck was a thing. I want one so someone else can drive it and I can sit in the the little seats in the back facing traffic. I believe these (or a slight variation of) were eventually sold in the US as a Scion of some sort?

:3:

Faster Blaster
Feb 6, 2010
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scion_xB
We never got anything that interesting. Might have scared the sheeple too much and hurt sales.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Ah the US got the regular Bb, not the cool little cut off one. I don't think too many of the Open Deck ones were made even in Japan, I think they were available for maybe a year tops.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Uuuhhhhnnnnn I want that.

Lift it and go trolling Truck Bros so hard.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

BigPaddy posted:

Lift it and go trolling Truck Bros so hard.

That'd be loving hilarious. Diamond plate, monster decals, huge lift, stacks, the whole shebang. Just in half scale.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

KakerMix posted:

No way, it's glancing to look in your rear-view mirror and staring at your A pillar instead because you looked the wrong way!

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Just a friendly reminder, be sure to read your state law on if Kei trucks are legal in your state.

edit: http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/laws/minitrucks - handy guide

Lord of Garbagemen fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 29, 2017

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Maksimus54 posted:

Want a kei truck bad. What is parts availability like for these? Would I be importing every little part?

For second gen Hondas (the youngest ones legal for us) the tires can be ordered of US Amazon since they are the same size as Geo Metro tires (this might be true of all 12 inch wheel kei vehicles), oil filters are modern Civic filters (well the Civic filters are slightly larger capacity but fit perfectly) but otherwise yeah you will be importing all your parts. Air filters are the worst for how expensive they are vs. how long they last, suppose you could replace it with an aftermarket one but I'd advise against anything that gets rid of the canister as the air filter (if switched to one of those cones) will get dirty super fast as it's underneath the rear of the van. I've been meaning to try to find a local replacement for it but haven't actually got anywhere.
Otherwise yes you will be importing all your parts. Parts availability isn't an issue on newer Actys like this but you will have to pay for shipping and wait. Isn't bad at all imho. I did have an issue with finding parts for the 83 Hijet. Depending on what one you are looking for too they made them for all sorts of markets, Italy made (continues to make?) a 7th gen Hijet clone call the Piaggio Porter and India and China make Hijet clones of their own.

Hijet Deckvan
:getin:

As far as I can tell these Hijet Deckvans were made mostly starting in 93 so next year we should get a whole bunch. I've only ever seen one (1) 1992 go up for auction.

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Just a friendly reminder, be sure to read your state law on if Kei trucks are legal in your state.

edit: http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/laws/minitrucks - handy guide

Note that this is for under-25 year old trucks only, anything over 25 years supersedes this guide. This guide tells you what trucks you can get and drive around if you don't want to wait 25 years. If you wait 25 years (save for California CARB) you're golden.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 29, 2017

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Bid on a TT mark 2 manual , bid 2,000 usd. Some clown came in at 5,000 usd for a 87 with 281k kms. Also got put in my place by another one of JCD's delica buyers, rip yesterday and buying.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Not an expert by any means, but I did own a Delica which was (obviously) an export from Japan to NZ. Importers aren't dumb, they know how to wind back odometers. There's no way 99.9% of imported japanese cars all happen to have <100k KM.

Also, while I spent time in Alaska I noticed that there were plenty of kei trucks that had been legally imported and registered as snowmobiles. Under 25 years old too. What gives?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Blaise posted:

Not an expert by any means, but I did own a Delica which was (obviously) an export from Japan to NZ. Importers aren't dumb, they know how to wind back odometers. There's no way 99.9% of imported japanese cars all happen to have <100k KM.

Also, while I spent time in Alaska I noticed that there were plenty of kei trucks that had been legally imported and registered as snowmobiles. Under 25 years old too. What gives?

Japan is very rigorous when it comes to mileage as long as you buy at the correct level with the correct paperwork. Not as easy to roll back the odometer in Japan with their draconian inspections and paper trails. It is certainly possible and I'm not saying it is impossible, but if you buy a vehicle with it's paper trail you can be assured as (as you can be) of no mileage rollback. Vehicles will come up for auction with the stipulation 'Mileage can't be verified' and the price usually dives because of this.
Personally I'd rather have a higher mileage vehicle that's been taken care of vs. a low mileage one on it's original timing belt.

EDIT
As to snowmobile keis in Alaska that's all due to the USA and it's Federal/State makeup. That guide that Garbageman posted illustrates it. Certain states allow newer-than-25-years-old kei trucks to be registered as something else to allow them to be driven on their roads. Usually they are totally barred from highways, sometimes the state makes you put one of those orange triangles on the back, sometimes you can register them as a snowmobile. In Alaska it might have everything to do with the engine size as for what you can register vehicles as. This is something to look into for people if you do want a newer kei truck, where I live I never take mine on the highways anyway because there are alternate roads leading places but Florida's kei truck restrictions mean I couldn't drive on anything with a speed limit higher than 35 mph. Thus making a new kei truck pointless. Would be pretty baller to have a new Acty though.

DOUBLE EDIT

These hilarious tiny pictures that are used sometimes. Assuming nothing is wrong with this majorly I am going to buy this. I'm actually pretty glad I like these little vans as not many other people seem to in the same way they go after Delicias or Skylines or Landcruisers.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 31, 2017

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

KakerMix posted:

sometimes you can register them as a snowmobile

loving comical <3

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

KakerMix posted:

These hilarious tiny pictures that are used sometimes. Assuming nothing is wrong with this majorly I am going to buy this. I'm actually pretty glad I like these little vans as not many other people seem to in the same way they go after Delicias or Skylines or Landcruisers.

Too much stuff wrong, interior is kinda toast, has weird bent floor action in the back and an oil leak.

stevobob posted:

loving comical <3

I mean I don't actually *know* but it wouldn't surprise me.

Also peep this :fap:

A 1981 Toyota Lite Ace coming up for auction soon, picture is ridiculous and tiny

A clearer promotional picture of the van type and decal, just different colors.

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Also I forgot the Toyota Bb Open Deck was a thing. I want one so someone else can drive it and I can sit in the the little seats in the back facing traffic. I believe these (or a slight variation of) were eventually sold in the US as a Scion of some sort?

The youtube guys I posted about before bought one of those as a company car a while back, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PCT7BPdW7M

The bed seems remarkably useless, maybe it was intended for surfboards? skis?

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

KakerMix posted:

Japan is very rigorous when it comes to mileage as long as you buy at the correct level with the correct paperwork. Not as easy to roll back the odometer in Japan with their draconian inspections and paper trails. It is certainly possible and I'm not saying it is impossible, but if you buy a vehicle with it's paper trail you can be assured as (as you can be) of no mileage rollback. Vehicles will come up for auction with the stipulation 'Mileage can't be verified' and the price usually dives because of this.
Personally I'd rather have a higher mileage vehicle that's been taken care of vs. a low mileage one on it's original timing belt.

Yeah, I'm saying that folks in Japan are no different than folks in the US or elsewhere. I don't buy the low odometer readings. Shrug.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

astropika posted:

The youtube guys I posted about before bought one of those as a company car a while back, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PCT7BPdW7M

The bed seems remarkably useless, maybe it was intended for surfboards? skis?

I had a little Tomy radio control car Bit Char-G which had a surfboard in the set but no real place for it to go?!

Also they looked at that modified ITB Figaro with the insane interior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5yhbcXdhhE

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Blaise posted:

Yeah, I'm saying that folks in Japan are no different than folks in the US or elsewhere. I don't buy the low odometer readings. Shrug.

Ok?
That Toyota van I posted, for instance, has a 5 digit odometer and thus is listed 'mileage can not be verified' because it has rolled over at least once, where the Hijet I bought has 24000km miles on it. The reason why I know my Hijet has so low miles is because there is a paper trail going all the way back to when it was new in 1983 that tracks it's mileage to its second inspection in 86 and then continuing into the rest of them every two years including the last one done a year ago. It's next inspection would be in April of next year if it was still in Japan. Also the interior of the Hijet gives it's mileage away.
While it is possible that you could alter the reported mileage after a 5 digit odometer rolls over and it could get lost in the paper trail it would be pointless as you've already clipped over to 'mileage not verified' thus making your reported mileage utterly meaningless anyway. If it has a 6 digit odometer then you'd have to gently caress with the reports done every two years that are required as well as rolling the odometer back as well. If there is any mileage discrepancy you get 'not verified' slapped on your inspection sheet.
Like I said it is possible but much harder with how Japan does it's inspections. You aren't even allowed to own a car unless you can prove, to the police, that you have somewhere to park it. If you can't you're stuck with a yellow plate car. That's the level of draconian we are talking.
Cars in Japan just aren't driven for the same length of miles that's typical for a western nation. The do seem to love crushing seats though and smoking.

EDIT

KakerMix posted:

Also peep this :fap:

A 1981 Toyota Lite Ace coming up for auction soon, picture is ridiculous and tiny

A clearer promotional picture of the van type and decal, just different colors.

Outbid by $200 bucks on this one, it went for just over 2900 USD. It also needs it's rear main seal replaced which I had money set aside for but alas, I lost the auction.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Now own a long-wheelbase Daihatsu Rugger (we got the gasoline short wheelbase Rugger as the Rocky) turbo diesel. 5 speed manual, 4WD, AC. :toot:

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Sep 2, 2017