Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

ToxicFrog posted:

That's every relationship in /r/relationships, though. Like, the message you get from there isn't "poly relationships are bad", it's "all relationships are bad, and humanity was a mistake". People in happy, stable relationships don't post in /r/relationships (or if they do, they don't show up in the thread here).

Yeah, a relationship help forum isn't going to give you a good impression of relationships

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pixar took a while to start making movies about actual humans for a reason.

Also hence why of the early CGI shows, the ones considered to have not aged as poorly are Reboot, which is literally about video game characters, Beast Wars, which is about robots (in disguise, as animals, for no real reason) and... Shadow Raiders maybe, which was all aliens. Including a robot alien.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Here's a neat comparison between Toy Story and the Toy Story section in Kingdom Hearts 3.
https://youtu.be/tkDadVrBr1Y

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Gum posted:

Yeah, a relationship help forum isn't going to give you a good impression of relationships

In my experience, online at least - poly people love talking about being poly. So there may be fewer happy poly people not posting due to their happiness than traditional couples (as a proportion to their general population).

The most insufferable person is probably a poly vegan who doesn't own a TV and wants to tell you all about it.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Pixar took a while to start making movies about actual humans for a reason.

Also hence why of the early CGI shows, the ones considered to have not aged as poorly are Reboot, which is literally about video game characters, Beast Wars, which is about robots (in disguise, as animals, for no real reason) and... Shadow Raiders maybe, which was all aliens. Including a robot alien.

The next Incredibles better look just as plastic.

Krispy Wafer has a new favorite as of 16:51 on Aug 28, 2017

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Gum posted:

Eh poly relationships do have issues that pertain just to it.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
Too Close For Comfort was a sitcom starring Ted Knight as a comic strip artist who took an unhealthy control over his adult daughters' lives. Jim J Bullock played Monroe Ficus, a combination of the stock sitcom characters "hapless guy who's always barging into the main character's life" and "totally gay guy but we're going to pretend that he's heterosexual."

So, in one episode ("For Every Man, There's Two Women",) Monroe is kidnapped and sexually assaulted/raped by a couple of women. It's played for laughs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KLJJ_fENGc

AV Club has more.

(Somewhat surprisingly, conservative dad Ted Knight takes Monroe seriously, and helps him get a modicum of justice.)

EDIT: some people were traumatized.

Mister Mind has a new favorite as of 18:36 on Aug 28, 2017

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Is That 70s Show aging pretty well? Even when it was on, I didn't watch all that much, but its first season is going to be hitting the 20 year mark here in a few years, sort of putting it about nearly the same number of years out from the 1976-1977 timeframe the show started out in. It seems that between the cast, production values and the show concept it seems to be maybe able to stand the test of time a bit better than others.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

JediTalentAgent posted:

Is That 70s Show aging pretty well? Even when it was on, I didn't watch all that much, but its first season is going to be hitting the 20 year mark here in a few years, sort of putting it about nearly the same number of years out from the 1976-1977 timeframe the show started out in. It seems that between the cast, production values and the show concept it seems to be maybe able to stand the test of time a bit better than others.
That 70's Show was fairly progressive for the simple fact that they acknowledged that teenagers in the 70s were smoking weed.

Like a lot of shows, the later seasons just weren't as good because the previously unknown actors became stars and were working on other projects and it ended on a wet fart.

CannonFodder has a new favorite as of 20:05 on Aug 28, 2017

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

JediTalentAgent posted:

I watched a bunch of the earlier seasons like a handful of years ago and I don't remember anything that particularly aged poorly. Probably helps that anything lovely that people might've said or did in the show was rather appropriate for the decade

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
It has Kurtwood Smith, it's always going to be good.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

CannonFodder posted:

That 70's Show was fairly progressive for the simple fact that they acknowledged that teenagers in the 70s were smoking weed.

Like a lot of shows, the later seasons just weren't as good because the previously unknown actors became stars and were working on other projects and it ended on a wet fart.

I've heard a lot of explanations for why shows almost universally become terrible the longer they go on. Another one I've heard is that, in later seasons writers begin to imitate the style of the writers of early seasons to try to be tonally consistent but it ends up being bad because they're writing with a voice that's not their own. Also, I remember someone saying that Season 9 is the absolute lifespan of a TV show. Like, some shows become bad before Season 9 but its almost impossible for shows to be good past it. They were talking about Seinfeld which ended right at Season 9 when they said it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Season 10 of the X files was good, but that is a strange edge case, probably.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
My wife is currently bingeing on E.R., which lasted 15 seasons.

The secret being to kill off all your characters regularly. So like the 70's show if the Foreman family all died and were replaced by a new wacky family.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

JediTalentAgent posted:

I posted about it a few pages ago 'cause I had a few episodes on in the background that day. What stood out was Hyde hitting on Donna, and Donna getting mad about it ("You know I'm with Topher Grace's character!") and him refusing to back off and instead grabbing her and saying something like, "Well look at you, can you blame me?" And it was all played up as romantic drama but it made Hyde come off really gross. Plus all the jokes were dumb and bad.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Krispy Kareem posted:

The secret being to kill off all your characters regularly. So like the 70's show if the Foreman family all died and were replaced by a new wacky family.

I reckon shows like SG1 and TNG could still be on today if they'd been willing to rotate their main cast. Suppose Patrick Stewart had quit after season three of TNG and it continued with Frakes as the lead, then he (and other members of the cast maybe) decides he wants to move ok and they re-staff the Enterprise with new actors playing new characters. Like a soap opera.

That's why Doctor Who has had the longevity it's enjoyed. It can soft reboot every four or five years and get a new actor in the lead role, plus a rotating cast of companions. The next season of Doctor Who will be its eleventh since it was revived in 2005 and the fact that it's going to be a dramatically differently lead with a new behind-the-scenes team means it's already a very different programme. I remember in 2010 when Moffat replaced Russell T Davies as showeunner and Matt Smith started playing the Doctor, by the wnd of the first episode people were saying it was like a completely new show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They kind of did that for the last season. Topher Grace announced he was leaving at the end of the previous season so they cast Bret Harrison as "Charlie" the son of one of Red's old war buddies. He was very clearly written as the New Eric character but he was so bad that when the show came back the next season they killed him off-screen.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Kinda like Frank Miller's "Dark Knight Returns" being phenomenal but I don't want to dwell on post 9/11 sending Miller to a weird place.

Frank Miller was going weird and bad a good while before 9/11; compare and contrast his early-90s output with his late-90s stuff. Give Me Liberty and the first Sin City stories vs. the various followups to either, aka "what the gently caress did I just read", for example. 2001 may have been a tipping point but the dude was clearly not right already.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
That's the problem, you can't wait until the end to swap out characters. By then you're already winding down. Like when Scrubs replaced everyone except Turk.

It also helps if the characters aren't driving the show. No one really cared what Lenny Briscoe's sex life was like because the crimes drove the storyline. There was lots of drama with E.R.'s characters, but in the end they were mostly interchangeable and helicopters could fall on people and you'd just bring in someone new.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Wheat Loaf posted:

That's why Doctor Who has had the longevity it's enjoyed. It can soft reboot every four or five years and get a new actor in the lead role, plus a rotating cast of companions. The next season of Doctor Who will be its eleventh since it was revived in 2005 and the fact that it's going to be a dramatically differently lead with a new behind-the-scenes team means it's already a very different programme. I remember in 2010 when Moffat replaced Russell T Davies as showeunner and Matt Smith started playing the Doctor, by the wnd of the first episode people were saying it was like a completely new show.

I get your point, but you could argue that Doctor Who entered a death spiral with the sixth doctor and died out with little dismay at the end of the seventh.

The ninth Doctor onwards could be considered a reboot in many ways.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Beast Wars, which is about robots (in disguise, as animals, for no real reason)

Hey now. They had a reason. They crashed during a time period with no mechanical vehicles, so they had to adapt and choose the only things that were actually around (also because Megatron as a T-rex owned). They get more mechanical designs in the sequel series, too, when they get back to Cybertron.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Krispy Kareem posted:

That's the problem, you can't wait until the end to swap out characters. By then you're already winding down. Like when Scrubs replaced everyone except Turk.

It also helps if the characters aren't driving the show. No one really cared what Lenny Briscoe's sex life was like because the crimes drove the storyline. There was lots of drama with E.R.'s characters, but in the end they were mostly interchangeable and helicopters could fall on people and you'd just bring in someone new.

The one season where original Law & Order does an ongoing plot line it gets very bad. Briscoe hires a hitman to kill his daughter's murderer, Curtis is about to quit the force to help care for his wife, Van Buren is about to get fired, McCoy is getting disbarred, Ross is leaving the DA's office because she can't cover for McCoy any more, and Schiff is about to lose an election. The next season, none of that sticks except Ross leaving. It just all gets forgotten over how bad it was.

L&O is also an example that replacing characters can work. Some of the show's best seasons are the last three, which only share two characters (McCoy and Van Buren) with the above from a decade earlier.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

spog posted:

I get your point, but you could argue that Doctor Who entered a death spiral with the sixth doctor and died out with little dismay at the end of the seventh.

The ninth Doctor onwards could be considered a reboot in many ways.

That really goes to show how much the show relies on the showrunner. Colin Baker's Sixth Doctor was brilliant, but the showrunners really sabotaged his tenure.

The Big Finish audio dramas really vindicated his character. Big Finish is legit better than the TV show, and the reboot owes a ton to it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Schubalts posted:

Hey now. They had a reason. They crashed during a time period with no mechanical vehicles, so they had to adapt and choose the only things that were actually around (also because Megatron as a T-rex owned). They get more mechanical designs in the sequel series, too, when they get back to Cybertron.

And they weren't in disguise, per se, just using the animal forms as protection from huge amounts of energon radiation. Though even that excuse is gone by season 2, IIRC. But that's okay because by that point Megatron was a metal flying T-rex on rollerskates and continued to own.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Krispy Kareem posted:

By then you're already winding down. Like when Scrubs replaced everyone except Turk.

I maintain that the main weakness of the final season of Scrubs was that they tried to thread the needle between the Old Cast and the New Cast, and failed because they kept going back to Old Cast stuff that had been resolved/finished years into the previous seasons. I dug the new cast more than most people, too. I wouldn't call it a shame the series didn't continue, but I do wonder what might've been.

Schubalts posted:

They get more mechanical designs in the sequel series, too, when they get back to Cybertron.

Beast Machines was a series that held up a lot better than those at the time would've thought. I remember being a kid on transformers forums that hated Beast Machines to the point of calling the guy who ran the show (Bob Skir, I want to say) a devil for ruining Transformers. I don't know precisely what happened afterwards, but I remember perusing TFwiki at some point a decade+ later, and evidently the post-Machines shows were so terrible that the fandom did a re-look at BM and went "welp, we were idiots when we complained about this".

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Arivia posted:

Some of the show's best seasons are the last three

I'm prepared to debate you on that.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Gaunab posted:

I'm prepared to debate you on that.

You really didn't like Cutter, the even crazier Jack? And Jeremy Sisto and Anthony Anderson were a good detective pair. Not the best (that's Briscoe and your pick of Logan or Green) but good. Cases weren't a boring morass, ripped from the headlines was recognizable without being stupidly over the top, good themes. Maybe not the best season period, but good ones in general.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I've heard a lot of explanations for why shows almost universally become terrible the longer they go on. Another one I've heard is that, in later seasons writers begin to imitate the style of the writers of early seasons to try to be tonally consistent but it ends up being bad because they're writing with a voice that's not their own. Also, I remember someone saying that Season 9 is the absolute lifespan of a TV show. Like, some shows become bad before Season 9 but its almost impossible for shows to be good past it. They were talking about Seinfeld which ended right at Season 9 when they said it.

Always Sunny is still going strong and they're going into 13, I think? Though I'd be lying if I said it wasn't feeling like their peak wasn't well behind them and that they're maybe approaching a point where they need to consider wrapping it up. I wonder though if maybe its lifespan is aided by the shorter seasons it and so many other shows employ these days.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Krispy Kareem posted:

My wife is currently bingeing on E.R., which lasted 15 seasons.

All I remember about ER was that they had an rear end in a top hat doctor being stalked by helicopters.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Arivia posted:

You really didn't like Cutter, the even crazier Jack? And Jeremy Sisto and Anthony Anderson were a good detective pair. Not the best (that's Briscoe and your pick of Logan or Green) but good. Cases weren't a boring morass, ripped from the headlines was recognizable without being stupidly over the top, good themes. Maybe not the best season period, but good ones in general.

My main problem with those seasons is that I thought they could have shaken things up more but that's a personal issue at the end of the day. Also it's funny you complained about the more character focused stories since the last seasons had Jack and the Governor story and Van Buren having cancer.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
So some of the TV's where I work show Charmed in the early mornings (when I work).

I don't think there's a single episode of this show that aged well, it's just so loving bad.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Gaunab posted:

My main problem with those seasons is that I thought they could have shaken things up more but that's a personal issue at the end of the day. Also it's funny you complained about the more character focused stories since the last seasons had Jack and the Governor story and Van Buren having cancer.

I don't mind the more personal stories honestly. I just jumped in to show how silly that one season ending is in response.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Nine loving seasons is too many seasons of anything. I don't know anything that stayed good past six.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Pick posted:

Nine loving seasons is too many seasons of anything. I don't know anything that stayed good past six.

Simpsons did it

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

spog posted:

The first five doctors covered a period of over twenty years though. If it took till the sixth Doctor for it to go bad, that's still way better than lasting only nine seasons. And they weren't your usual six-episode British TV seasons either, the shortest was 20 episodes.

Also, Sylvester McCoy was great. :colbert:

MisterBibs posted:

I maintain that the main weakness of the final season of Scrubs was that they tried to thread the needle between the Old Cast and the New Cast, and failed because they kept going back to Old Cast stuff that had been resolved/finished years into the previous seasons. I dug the new cast more than most people, too. I wouldn't call it a shame the series didn't continue, but I do wonder what might've been.
Yeah, I thought it could have been pretty decent if they'd actually committed to replacing the cast.

Rough Lobster posted:

So some of the TV's where I work show Charmed in the early mornings (when I work).

I don't think there's a single episode of this show that aged well, it's just so loving bad.
It's not that it doesn't hold up, it's just as good now as it ever was (which is not good at all).

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

The Bloop posted:

Season 10 of the X files was good, but that is a strange edge case, probably.

it was total garbage actually

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

That really goes to show how much the show relies on the showrunner. Colin Baker's Sixth Doctor was brilliant, but the showrunners really sabotaged his tenure.

The Big Finish audio dramas really vindicated his character. Big Finish is legit better than the TV show, and the reboot owes a ton to it.

Plus at that point John Nathan-Turner's antics and appealing to the fanbase really just destroyed the show. To his benefit he tried to resign a number of times but I think the BBC basically told him that if he goes he's fired outright from the organization or the show ends and he didn't have the heart for the show to sink.

Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy really got the shaft because they were awesome and did their best, but everybody in control either wanted the show dead or had just run out of steam to care anymore. McCoy got lucky because the people who took over for most of the day to day in his reign wanted to do 2000AD stuff so it was a change for the better even if the music sucked on ice.

ReidRansom posted:

Always Sunny is still going strong and they're going into 13, I think? Though I'd be lying if I said it wasn't feeling like their peak wasn't well behind them and that they're maybe approaching a point where they need to consider wrapping it up. I wonder though if maybe its lifespan is aided by the shorter seasons it and so many other shows employ these days.

Didn't one of the people leave at the end of last season?

Riptor posted:

I think the X-Files has a special case for it being outdated, and that's due to it being a real child of the '90s. Living through the 2000s where those types of conspiracy nuts to be emotionally-damaged bigots who need a superiority boost just takes the luster off of the show and my memories of it. If the X-Files wanted to really showcase what it was all about, it would have another season where everybody is a screaming bigot who is screaming for Trump to save them and then show them doing it for the cash as their mental illnesses go untreated and they start to lose control of their lives.

Also, at this point the idea of the government being controlled by a bunch of shadowy men is a loving cliche.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Riptor posted:

Wizard Master is that you?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

muscles like this! posted:

They kind of did that for the last season. Topher Grace announced he was leaving at the end of the previous season so they cast Bret Harrison as "Charlie" the son of one of Red's old war buddies. He was very clearly written as the New Eric character but he was so bad that when the show came back the next season they killed him off-screen.

It wasn't that Bret Harrison's character was terrible, it's that he got an offer for his own series and went off to do that. Things were compounded by Ashton Kutcher also leaving the the show, so in the next season you get Josh Meyers' character Randy basically filling in for both but being generally bland and annoying.

Comedy Central started airing That 70's Show in the mornings a few months ago and I'll often have it on as background noise and it holds up well enough, particularly the early seasons. I think the first couple of years generally had better stories and better utilized the setting. By the fourth or fifth season, though, the plots turn to generic sitcom stuff with a 70's veneer slapped on it, and I think the production values fell a bit (I can't not notice the point where Topher Grace started wearing a wig), but it was still entertaining enough until the last season or two. That's kinda when the plots got a bit too repetitive and they tried to introduce a bunch of new characters that were just annoying or uninteresting (Hyde's sister, then his stripper wife, Randy).

Arivia posted:

The one season where original Law & Order does an ongoing plot line it gets very bad. Briscoe hires a hitman to kill his daughter's murderer, Curtis is about to quit the force to help care for his wife, Van Buren is about to get fired, McCoy is getting disbarred, Ross is leaving the DA's office because she can't cover for McCoy any more, and Schiff is about to lose an election. The next season, none of that sticks except Ross leaving. It just all gets forgotten over how bad it was.

L&O is also an example that replacing characters can work. Some of the show's best seasons are the last three, which only share two characters (McCoy and Van Buren) with the above from a decade earlier.

It's kinda funny because, in earlier seasons, Law & Order gave just enough hints at characters lives outsides the cases to give them color, but never made it a focus of the show. A good example is McCoy and Kincaid are pretty obviously having an affair for most of the two seasons they are both in the show, but it's not like they went out of the way to show the two of them in bed or even hint at it every single episode. You can even see it starting to unravel to some extent prior to the end of the sixth season, and then it comes up several times in later seasons, basically leading to the stuff you mentioned about McCoy getting disciplined and nearly disbarred.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

That 70's Show is almost the perfect example of a show that went on one season too long. They had everyone find their path in life, then they get another season where everyone is still hanging out in Erik's basement despite him being in another country, and you have a new guy show up who's the good parts of Erik and Kelso without any of their flaws, and kind of becomes the leader character of the group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Didn't one of the people leave at the end of last season?

They certainly left it open to the possibility that he might, but I don't think there has been any confirmation that he's definitely leaving the show. I guess FX has ordered two more seasons though, so the show will go on that long, at least, Dennis or no. Probably only just that long, especially if Howerton leaves. Those dudes are in the early 40s now and that's going to start rubbing badly with the premise if they try to push it on too much longer.