Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Based on the grossness of some of the dialog in recent episodes, I wouldn't be surprised if Beth is boning horses or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

The Bee posted:

At the same time, he became a fundamentally unlikeable prick incapable of building connections past the surface level. Rather than shave a little toxin off the top, he shot right past humility when trying to purge his anxiety. Similarly, Nice Rick was genuinely caring on a cosmic level, but could barely muster up care for things on the individual level. Not even himself.

Were they healthier? Yes. Were they better people? Debatable.

The whole point is that it's subjective, they think "healthy" is something that it isn't so they're still very flawed they just don't know it. The "toxic" behaviors like anxiety and co-dependence are what keep them from becoming sociopaths and nihilists.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

prefect posted:

BoJack?! :monocle:

She's a horse surgeon who is now divorced thus "married" to her job.

Wait, I'm overthinking this silly show.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

ElCondemn posted:

The whole point is that it's subjective, they think "healthy" is something that it isn't so they're still very flawed they just don't know it. The "toxic" behaviors like anxiety and co-dependence are what keep them from becoming sociopaths and nihilists.

Yeah. The point is that people are full of nuance. You can't just hack out the obvious flaws and call whatever's left a good person.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Oh, hell, I know that. It's something I really loved about the episode. I just don't know how much that potential would help Morty if he was too emotionally detached to properly use it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I do like that Rick figured out, scientifically, that there's no universal objective scientific way for a machine to filter out good vs toxic character traits and emotions (since there's no such thing as universal morals since since there's no god and all ethics are relative), thus it had to be calibrated based on the user's existing values, thus the results are extremely subjective and personal.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Baronjutter posted:

I do like that Rick figured out, scientifically, that there's no universal objective scientific way for a machine to filter out good vs toxic character traits and emotions (since there's no such thing as universal morals since since there's no god and all ethics are relative), thus it had to be calibrated based on the user's existing values, thus the results are extremely subjective and personal.

I think what I liked the most about that machine is the fact that the resort owners were perfectly willing to hand it over and let Rick get his and Morty's "toxic" selves back. Really showed their dedication to customer service.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I think what I liked the most about that machine is the fact that the resort owners were perfectly willing to hand it over and let Rick get his and Morty's "toxic" selves back. Really showed their dedication to customer service.

My favorite part was the toxic selves thinking it had blown up, and taking time to realize they were the toxic bits and their normal selves were still fine, outside.

They didn't spend much time on it but that's a brilliant sci-fi mindfuck and something I've been thinking about a lot lately (check this poo poo out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4tbbcWqDyY)

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Haha yea, I never played Soma but I've seen that video and thought of it too.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love how the machine doesn't just kill or break down or otherwise harmlessly eliminate the toxic parts, nah, it sends them to a toxic hell in a tank.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

Based on the grossness of some of the dialog in recent episodes, I wouldn't be surprised if Beth is boning horses or something.

Next season, she changes her name to Catherine.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I don't remember, was there anything else alive in the toxic tank besides Toxic Rick and Toxic Morty? I kind of get the feeling that for everyone else, the purged material is just inanimate goo, but R&M just have so much wrong with them that they have entirely self-sufficient levels of emotional toxin.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Baronjutter posted:

I love how the machine doesn't just kill or break down or otherwise harmlessly eliminate the toxic parts, nah, it sends them to a toxic hell in a tank.

Killing them would be worse. It did harmlessly contain them, but they were stuck in a chamber of all the toxic parts of all kinds of aliens over a long period of time, so it had turned into a toxic dump.

It was no more hell than what Earth became after toxic rick's ray, which I guess you could say was hellish.

Tendales posted:

I don't remember, was there anything else alive in the toxic tank besides Toxic Rick and Toxic Morty? I kind of get the feeling that for everyone else, the purged material is just inanimate goo, but R&M just have so much wrong with them that they have entirely self-sufficient levels of emotional toxin.

I don't remember seeing anything else but it was maybe implied, and even if there wasn't it could be that other toxic things had starved in there or killed themselves or something :(

But I also like your way of looking at it.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
In the first season, they had a lot more "normal" adventure, with Rick dragging Morty away to some crazy scifi nonsense. The big shock in the beginning was whenever it actually showed what a terrible, irresponsible thing person Rick actually is and the effect all of this has on Morty. It was a little bit like Venture brothers in that regard, in the way that it gradually shows what a terrible life a lot of adventure cartoon characters would actually have if they were real people. But once the audience has grown accustomed to that status quo, you basically can't use that as your main hook anymore, because they expect that now. So you got to switch it around. and I think most shows start focusing more on the characters, their relationship and their development, since that is the part they can actually change, without changing the premise of the show. Also, character arcs are a natural part of any story anyway, so it is easy to start focusing more on it.

There is also the simple fact that show is not new anymore. Before, you basically went in with an open mind, but by now you have a certain expectations and judge any new episode based on that.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Well, yeah. They're paid by the hour, not by commission. What do they have to lose from kicking over the machine for a bit?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Tendales posted:

Some non-sentient aliens, but nothing as self-aware as Rick and Morty. And it's not what's wrong with them so much as the degree of self-loathing they have to consider half their own personalities toxic.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
It kind of bothers me that this entire season has been what's healthy or toxic about these characters and now this episode has taken that to its absolute limit and shown us exactly what these characters think is toxic and healthy about themselves - and then it reverts to status quo. We've seen exactly what these characters want, and then promised that they will not get there. Not sure how they follow this up.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Baronjutter posted:

I'm still enjoying this show but season 1 had me laughing out loud hard, season 2 also got some good laughs, season three has only gotten a few heh...'s out of me. Is the show less funny or have I just become a little more numb to what was pretty new feeling humour when it first came out?

Because the writers completely forgot Show Don't Tell, and have amped up the parts of the show the internet pushed the most.

Even the last episode, which was pretty good, had to have Rick standing there telling you in.. every.. detail.. the specifics of the morality of the situation. There's no trusting the audience anymore, no showing through action when they can just explain how they're feeling. Every single crazy adventure repeats the same themes of explaining to you why Rick is complicated or explaining to you why Morty needs a backbone, over and over again. In the past this stuff developed naturally, no explanation required because you saw it. The psychiatrist explaining how everything was to a T was a funny gag, but the whole show is that every episode now.

Baronjutter posted:

A lot of internet randos saying the show is bad and it's all women's fault but the writing still seems good, I think it's just that after 3 seasons we've all gotten used to the R&M schtick? They can't just do more of the same, there has to be some change and growth, and there is, and some people seem upset at that too. I think what some people want is to just watch season 1 again after a mind-wipe.

There was lots of character growth in season 2. Tons. It's just that it didn't need to be spelled out. If they filmed Mortynight Run this season I think it'd ended with Morty explaining exactly how he is feeling and Rick re-citing the same world view and them explaining the point of the episode rather than Morty looking mortified while Rick makes fart jokes at him.

Also there was this feeling in past seasons as hosed in the head and messed up as Rick was, he's almost always right about the universe, like when he refuses to go to a wedding and then does and gets screwed over by it. Now there's a lot of "We should talk about our feelings a whole lot and keep a very precise level dialogue," bullshit that Rick would have probably belched and said "Don't care" to in past seasons.

Of COURSE the internet blames women, but I blame the internet because if anything this season could be described as pandering. They tried to amp some aspects to 1,000 that should have stayed subtle.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

It kind of bothers me that this entire season has been what's healthy or toxic

Again I wish they did just show this because right now all they seem to freaking do is talk about their toxic relationship. There's no nuance and every side adventure becomes about this.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 28, 2017

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Nice lil gag was Rick's "Do the healthy thing and voluntarily re-toxify yourself."

Another good touch is Healthy Rick loses his drool

Fancy Hat! fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 28, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I feel like you guys aren't even watching the same show I am.

R&M cool and good.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I like how the person in the Sbarro went out to start eating actual garbage.

Thern
Aug 12, 2006

Say Hello To My Little Friend
I feel sorry for those traumatized kids though.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Blazing Ownager posted:

Because the writers completely forgot Show Don't Tell, and have amped up the parts of the show the internet pushed the most.

Again I wish they did just show this because right now all they seem to freaking do is talk about their toxic relationship. There's no nuance and every side adventure becomes about this.

Like I ended up liking the episode once it spelled out that the premise was spelled out that their personality was split based on how they wanted them to be split instead of a good twin bad twin thing and there were some pretty good jokes there, but I've felt this too. I'm a bit conflicted.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
I don't know anything about anything. I'm an intellectual midget, but I heard about Carl Jung and the Shadow the other day and it really fits this last episode. Classic Jekyll and Hyde stuff. The Persona is part of you that you accept and is acceptable by others. The Shadow is the parts you and others reject about yourself but are there nonetheless.

In Morty's case, he over identified with his Persona and completely rejected his Shadow. You could interpret that as him ignoring his fear and inadequacies and pain, but by repressing all that ended up not realizing or caring that he was a sociopathic douche who cut off all ties with his family.

In Rick's case...well, hell. That's a post I'm not qualified to tackle.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

vermin posted:

I don't know anything about anything. I'm an intellectual midget, but I heard about Carl Jung and the Shadow the other day and it really fits this last episode. Classic Jekyll and Hyde stuff. The Persona is part of you that you accept and is acceptable by others. The Shadow is the parts you and others reject about yourself but are there nonetheless.

In Morty's case, he over identified with his Persona and completely rejected his Shadow. You could interpret that as him ignoring his fear and inadequacies and pain, but by repressing all that ended up not realizing or caring that he was a sociopathic douche who cut off all ties with his family.

In Rick's case...well, hell. That's a post I'm not qualified to tackle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-hvNU_SxQo

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I don't trust that girl at the high school who's into docking and watersports. I think she's another government agent. :tinfoil:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I'm not gonna tell you you're wrong for having an opinion about the different seasons, you're right that they all have different touches. Season 2 seemed to lean heavier into mythology building and continuity, but we haven't seen very much of that in season 3. Personally, I think the writing this season has been a high point, I think the writers are nailing the right balance of nihilistic Rick and wacky-funniness.

Yeah. I noticed the same thing with The Venture Brothers and The Adventure Zone. After a certain point I don't really care about the comedy and care more about these characters and the stories told with them.

I did just see the most recent episode. Learning that Rick views his attachment to Morty as toxic is the kind of character moments i'm loving out of this show right now.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

vermin posted:

but by repressing all that ended up not realizing or caring that he was a sociopathic douche who cut off all ties with his family.

Realistically, what happier ending do you think there could be for Morty than what he had? He was a highly successful stockbroker with a beautiful, intelligent girlfriend he was completely honest with. The alternative is he stays with his family and if he survives puberty ends up....a less intelligent, more manipulative version of Rick?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

maybe I just don't get it but I'm genuinely bummed out that Morty did not get to keep being Healthy Morty, he seemed genuinely far better adapted to normal life :smith:

e: removed an unnecessary bit of lovely ableism

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Mulva posted:

Realistically, what happier ending do you think there could be for Morty than what he had? He was a highly successful stockbroker with a beautiful, intelligent girlfriend he was completely honest with. The alternative is he stays with his family and if he survives puberty ends up....a less intelligent, more manipulative version of Rick?

Some people don't idealize that lifestyle, everyone doesn't think its great to convince people to part with their money so you can gamble with it. We also don't know poo poo about his pedophile girlfriend, she was entirely one dimensional and as far as we know all his relationships are one dimensional.

He didn't seem happy with anything, he seemed to be sociopathic the way he treated every interaction like a sales pitch.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

ElCondemn posted:

He didn't seem happy with anything, he seemed to be sociopathic the way he treated every interaction like a sales pitch.

I thought him leaving the phone open was pretty obvious, explicit confirmation that he wasn't happy the way he was. It wasn't an accident, and it wasn't so Jessica could hear Morty talking to his new girlfriend, it was so he could be traced. He even says at the beginning of the conversation that he knows they're tracing the call and trying to keep him on the line long enough.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Excelzior posted:

maybe I just don't get it but I'm genuinely bummed out that Morty did not get to keep being Healthy Morty, he seemed genuinely far better adapted to normal life :smith:

e: removed an unnecessary bit of lovely ableism

That's the thing, he seemed better adapted. But to get there he stripped himself of his anxieties and therefore the parts of himself that understand when he presses too hard or acts too annoying or care how other people see him. And sure, those parts can go too far and leave you paralyzed in social situations or keep you in your shell, but without them Morty turned into a manipulative, overbearing, sociopathic Wolf of Wall Street. What Morty needs is to get used to himself, not throw parts of himself away.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Rick respawning means he lost all his cool cyborg bits.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Say Nothing posted:

Rick respawning means he lost all his cool cyborg bits.

Didn't he get his head knocked clean off on the Whirly Derly? The immortality field recreated it, but did it also recreate the cybernetics that were in it?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

prefect posted:

Didn't he get his head knocked clean off on the Whirly Derly? The immortality field recreated it, but did it also recreate the cybernetics that were in it?

It did because he uses the cyber eye later when trying to grab Risotto's gun

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If a robot or gear-person was in the immortality field they'd be repaired just like rick's cybernetics.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

If a robot or gear-person was in the immortality field they'd be repaired just like rick's cybernetics.

uh gear people are NOT robots. the gear wars, which I don't believe we've discussed, involved two factions of gear people, robot is actually a slur in... [trails off]

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
perhaps that gun also creates all his cybernetics.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Just lol on you all if you don't have your cybernetic enhancements encoded into your DNA.

Amateurs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

ElCondemn posted:

Some people don't idealize that lifestyle, everyone doesn't think its great to convince people to part with their money so you can gamble with it. We also don't know poo poo about his pedophile girlfriend, she was entirely one dimensional and as far as we know all his relationships are one dimensional.

You misunderstand. I'm not saying it was great, I'm saying it's the best he's going to get.