Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

What do you guys think of David Mack? Personally, I'm not a fan of collage work but I think he's great on covers. Love his use of watercolors here. Not so much on interiors, the Echo issues of the Bendis/Mack DD run were a chore to read.

I love Mack but I find reading his stuff a a bit slow because I end up taking so much time pouring over the art. He's appropriate for certain types of stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Guy on reddit posted his commission of Kitty Pryde from Kris Anka. How much would something like this cost?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If he's posting his commissions on a public forum like Reddit I'm sure you could just ask him.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I just mean in general from a top tier artist, is it a couple of hundred bucks or more than a thousand?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Ask these guys https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3512726

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Pretty cool AV Club thing on Simonson and Kirby:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/iconic-thor-creator-walt-simonson-talks-about-jack-kirb-1798514257

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

a good teamup

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If she was a "pug-nosed imp" then I'm guessing she stopped off at the plastic surgeon's office before hitting the beauty parlour.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

a kitten posted:

a good teamup

Mispelled God Ginrai, 0/10, would not share

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
All of the Strange Tales Max miniseries basically qualifies for this thread (one way or another), but this page from #3, goddamn.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Jordan7hm posted:

All of the Strange Tales Max miniseries basically qualifies for this thread (one way or another), but this page from #3, goddamn.

Did you read the Avengers 100th Anniversary Special James Stokoe did?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Rogue's sunglasses are a bold fashion statement I can get behind.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

david_a posted:

Wasn't that the point to begin with? I thought the original concept of Judge Dredd was a satire of Thatcher/Reagan "tough on crime" nonsense: what if society actually worked like Dirty Harry/Death Wish, i.e. there are individuals in power who are judge, jury, and executioner all rolled into one. I never really paid attention to who wrote which stories, though.
Going back a while, but Dredd actually pre-dates the Thatcher/Reagan era by a few years. It was more the early 70s Dirty Harry-style "tough cop" genre taken to its ludicrous extreme, where Harry isn't a borderline psychotic rogue but is actually held up as the exemplar of law enforcement. (The original unpublished first script had Dredd executing someone for jaywalking, which is exactly what Harry suggested the vigilante cops in Magnum Force would end up doing.)

What's scary in hindsight is that the first Dredd story came out only six years after Dirty Harry, and three months before Star Wars. The man's been busting heads for forty years!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Yeah, Dredd was a response to the same social trends (rising crime, urban unrest) that led to Dirty Harry and Death Wish and eventually the elections of Reagan and Thatcher. It was all part of the same phenomenon.

The other big influence on early Dredd were the writings of pop futurist Alvin Toeffler, especially his book Future Shock.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
https://twitter.com/sinKEVitch/status/906821942388285442

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Push El Burrito posted:

Rogue's sunglasses are a bold fashion statement I can get behind.

Casting Mr. T as Doctor Strange is a bold statement I wish Hollywood had gotten behind.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Would it be incredibly poor taste to photoshop the "Dillon" face on there?....yeah yeah it would.......

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/feitclub/status/910104382846337024

:eyepop:

That's good.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

So rad. Hope Marvel makes it available or even visible outside of just Japan.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It does look cool, but Kamala also appears to be wearing 8 inch heels, or took up ballet.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

It does look cool, but Kamala also appears to be wearing 8 inch heels, or took up ballet.

She could just extend her heels

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I've been reading old Fantastic Four and man, Kirby swerved from odd to great.

I always loved that everyone's eyes were huge with big lashes when Kirby drew them.

It does seem around the Galactus story they started really letting him loose though and good god.

And his Silver Surfer will always be just my favorite thing.

The guy always looked like he was about to murder you or fall off his board. Not much in between. Basically what I'm saying is Jack Kirby was a good artist who drew people oddly sometimes. And this Johnny Storm/Crystal relationship seemed forced at first but it worked out in the end.

Marvel Unlimited is awesome but there's some gaps. I was trying to read X-Men and suddenly it jumped from issue like 60 to 94. Well there were some changes around that point...

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Um I think you'll find Kirby, a man who was slamming pages out at a rate that puts even the fastest artist today to shame, can do no wrong. Seriously though I love his bad guys. He draws an awesome Wizard debut in Strange Tales and then the next time the Wizard appears he's drawn by Don Heck or someone and it just loses all that magic. The Puppet Master is another one like that. Great when drawn by Kirby, awful when drawn by an imitator.

As for X-Men, those were the reprint issues, no? I think almost all the early Marvel stuff is up on MU now until you get into the 70s and some of the weirder niche horror stuff.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
67 would be when X-Men switched from original stories to reprints until the Giant-Sized relaunch.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Yeah, it was cancelled with 66, brought back as a reprint title later, and then started doing new stories again with 94. The only thing you missed was some odd final issues (climaxing in the revelation that Prof. X had faked his death to prepare for an alien invasion, and Jean knew the whole time) and Giant-Sized X-Men #1 introducing the new team.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It's up to 66 on MU so nothing missing there.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Yeah, it was cancelled with 66, brought back as a reprint title later, and then started doing new stories again with 94. The only thing you missed was some odd final issues (climaxing in the revelation that Prof. X had faked his death to prepare for an alien invasion, and Jean knew the whole time) and Giant-Sized X-Men #1 introducing the new team.

I actually saw that! That explains it. Now I gotta pick up on that later. Didn't know it did reprints and whatever and I was all "ok, I guess Wolverine is here now." I was hyped to find out more about Lucifer who I never really knew about other than "he crippled Professor X."

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If you really hate your free time and think it holds no value you can track down X-Men: The Hidden Years which is what happened between 66 and Giant Size. It's 20 something issues long and not very good and came out right around the time the first movie hit. It's by John Byrne, but I feel I'm just basically repeating the "not very good" part by telling you that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

If you really hate your free time and think it holds no value you can track down X-Men: The Hidden Years which is what happened between 66 and Giant Size. It's 20 something issues long and not very good and came out right around the time the first movie hit. It's by John Byrne, but I feel I'm just basically repeating the "not very good" part by telling you that.

It's terrible and I think other stories Marvel have done since kind of punts it out of continuity.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have heard that's the one where Byrne allegedly wanted to retcon out Magneto's backstory as a Holocaust survivor for the sake of spiting Claremont.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I have heard that's the one where Byrne allegedly wanted to retcon out Magneto's backstory as a Holocaust survivor for the sake of spiting Claremont.

I've also heard that.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

X-O posted:

Didn't Byrne also do a similar (and similarly poorly-received) early continuity patchup series for Spider-Man?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FMguru posted:

Didn't Byrne also do a similar (and similarly poorly-received) early continuity patchup series for Spider-Man?

Spider-man Chapter One. It's possibly the hated Spider-man book ever.

Norman Osborn and the Sandman are related because they have the same hair.

I know.

I KNOW

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Oh like that's the worst of it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Oh like that's the worst of it.

It's the tip of the loving stupidity iceberg!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I was gobbling up all the awful clone saga Spider-man comics when they were coming out, but a couple issues of Chapter One and I was like "Hmmm.... maybe Spider-man comics can be terrible sometimes...."

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Rhyno posted:

More hated than the JMS "Gwen Stacey bore Osbourne's babies when Parker wasn't looking" arc?

I remember Chapter One mostly because Byrne took great pride in shitcanning the very good Untold Tales early-continuity stories (by Busiek) because only he, John Byrne, was worthy of scribbling his crayons all over those early Lee/Kirby/Ditko Spider-Man stories.

Wikipedia tells me that Byrne also did the same thing to Hulk, and that both series have been largely removed from current continuity.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Byrne really does think that only HE is capable of crafting stories that can stand alongside Stan and Jack's work. Look what he did to the Demon and Doom Patrol once he got control of them.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

How about Captain Power, the sensational new character find of 1999?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I consider Chapter One and the JMS stories Sins Past/Spider-Totem Bullshit the worst Spider-Man books ever written. By a long shot.