Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
phreak is going to solo cast the whole lck on coolspot tv and say funny words like 'keokuk' and 'cucamonga'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Well Afreeca are playing jungle Lulu in game 5 of a Worlds qualifier so LCK is more than capable of bringing the comedy by itself.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

njsykora posted:

Well Afreeca are playing jungle Lulu in game 5 of a Worlds qualifier so LCK is more than capable of bringing the comedy by itself.

spirit you mad god

The ardent censer meta has reach its climax, I think.

e: oh also

https://twitter.com/FionnOnFire/status/902154826221576193

Sexpansion fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Aug 28, 2017

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I don't think it is a coincidence that TSM lost the one game Sven didn't get Gragas. He has an insanely limited champ pool, and I don't understand why teams don't punish it more.

Like, what happens when Dig takes Gragas instead of Nunu in game 2?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Sven can maybe still play Elise but she's much worse than Gragas for sure.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
What's the sound of one hand clapping?

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

njsykora posted:

Smithy does Starcraft commentary as well.

I did not know that, or at least I can't remember him mentioning it on Twitter lately. Very cool!

njsykora posted:

It was also great seeing Sion in game 4. When's the last time he showed up in pro-play?

This new thread title :yeah:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

njsykora posted:

Smithy does Starcraft commentary as well. Dude does very well to keep from putting everything on a single game. OGN won't lose League though, putting everything on SpoTV seems like a good way to destroy viewership in one of your biggest regions because no-one likes SpoTV. Like it's no coincidence that SpoTV doesn't get any playoff games and never does finals because I think OGN are still putting up the money for the staging of the finals.

E: Turns out Taric still a good support.

yeah like for all of the "riot is definitely gonna turn things over to spotv immediately" the fact that they aren't doing any playoffs at all suggests to me that its not nearly a done deal

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Sexpansion posted:

spirit you mad god

The ardent censer meta has reach its climax, I think.

e: oh also

https://twitter.com/FionnOnFire/status/902154826221576193

How did Japan and Mexico already qualify?

Isn't there some sort of wildcard qualifier before worlds to decide that?

im old rick bitch
Oct 19, 2004

How does it feel?
as much as I enjoy listening to Crumbz stumble around in a cloud of cannabis smoke i hope OGN gets to keep broadcasting, its the best lol broadcast by miles

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Ulio posted:

they did away with the wild card like they did at msi this year. there is now a play in stage with all the wild card regions/na 3/lpl 3/ eu 3/lms 3.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Oh ya I totally forgot that happened at msi.

Also OGN has the best casters imo. Papa has the deepest knowledge and best game analysis along with Deficio since Monte left. Atlus and Achillios are also my favorite play by play casters.

Quickshot + Deficio is also pretty enjoyable even with absolute clownfiestas.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Ulio posted:

Read the OP! There's no more Wildcard Tournament, instead all of the Wildcard Regions are lumped in with the Third Seeds from four of the five major regions to determine who goes to group stages

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ulio posted:

Also OGN has the best casters imo. Papa has the deepest knowledge and best game analysis along with Deficio since Monte left. Atlus and Achillios are also my favorite play by play casters.

Quickshot + Deficio is also pretty enjoyable even with absolute clownfiestas.

Yeah, PapaSmithy and Achillios are probably my favorite caster duo, but Quickshot and Deficio aren't far behind. Quickshot might not be the best play-by-play caster out there, but he's probably the best hype man in pro League right now, and what Deficio lacks in game knowledge compared to PapaSmithy he makes up for with his entertaining banter and barely concealed disdain for some of the EU LCS players. Special mention to Froskurinn, too, who's overcome some of the weaknesses she's had as a caster in the past and is really one of the top casters out there right now. Really hoping we see more of them at Worlds and less of Phreak.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

froskurrin became a much worse caster when the biggest criticism she took to heart was "don't ever say anything positive about lpl teams"

she spent like a year straight just being super wishy washy and unable to praise anything any team did.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
My favorite thing about Deficio is his mounting frustrations against EU teams when they don't do anything for 50 minutes. It reminds me of Deman a little.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RealFoxy posted:

My favorite thing about Deficio is his mounting frustrations against EU teams when they don't do anything for 50 minutes. It reminds me of Deman a little.

I think it was last week's games where someone had an absolute fart of a gank mid and he muttered this faintly audible, "Jesus Christ," on stream. Him, Quickshot, Sjokz, and Drakos are about the only reasons I watch the EU LCS.

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

Reminder that the Jungle Lulu game was the most entertaining game of league I've seen with yonks, hilarious that a joke flex queue strategy being played by the pros is actually good enough to work like that

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
And you just know that they wanted to keep that in their back pocket for the later bits of the gauntlet, and then they had to whip it out immediately

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

There's a lot of posts on TL Mickey telling people to go die and flaming in solo queue, so I can't wait for another implosion involving Piglet, Dardoch, and a Korean mid-laner.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

well you have to admit that it was pretty hosed up of piglet to do this

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

RealFoxy posted:

Read the OP! There's no more Wildcard Tournament, instead all of the Wildcard Regions are lumped in with the Third Seeds from four of the five major regions to determine who goes to group stages

So the third seeds and wild cards fight it out at the start of worlds in like a last minute gauntlet?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

ArbitraryC posted:

So the third seeds and wild cards fight it out at the start of worlds in like a last minute gauntlet?
Rather than just having two wildcards every year, they're giving all Wildcards an equal shot against LMS/LPL/NA/EU third seed teams. Up until Group Stages last year I would have said that Wildcards were entertaining, but much weaker than other regions but there's a lot of Wildcards that are stomping their regions and could easily beat third seeds from weaker regions. There's nothing that outstanding about third seeds from NA, EU, or LMS right now so at worst it'd be interesting to see how say, Brazil stands against a Dignitas or Splyce type team.

Korea's 3rd seed still gets a bye into the Group Stages because since the modern era (Season 3) there's only been one Korean team that didn't make it out of group stages and it was because Samsung Ozone were loving around and gave up dumb games to teams they could have beaten (The same Samsung team that win on to win Season 4, more or less)

In essence it's the same Wildcard tournament that would have determined the two that went on to group stages before, but they're making the major region's third seeds fight to stay in. There's been a whole lot of third seeds sneaking into World's winning only one or two games.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Aug 29, 2017

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
That totally seems fair, thank you for taking time to explain it again.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

RealFoxy posted:

Korea's 3rd seed still gets a bye into the Group Stages because since the modern era (Season 3) there's only been one Korean team that didn't make it out of group stages and it was because Samsung Ozone were loving around and gave up dumb games to teams they could have beaten (The same Samsung team that win on to win Season 4, more or less)

i mean that is kind of handwaving away the fact that dade played like absolute poo poo. fnatic and gambit were genuinely pretty good back then as well.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

RealFoxy posted:

There's a lot of posts on TL Mickey telling people to go die and flaming in solo queue, so I can't wait for another implosion involving Piglet, Dardoch, and a Korean mid-laner.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Here's a nice big image featuring 11 of the 12 teams that will be going straight to Group Stages. Will finish the Play-In stages graphics after Regional Qualifiers + Remaining Wildcard Finals are over

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Please finals aren't even done yet, idc about fakers all star tournament.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Work Friend Keven posted:

Please finals aren't even done yet, idc about fakers all star tournament.
Yah but all teams except for Korea's third seed have been determined already so why not update the graphic.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Bjergsen is also (EU) thank you

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Reality Winner posted:

Technically yah but he's considered a resident and not an import.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

What was the jungle Lulu game? I only watch NA games normally, but I would love to watch some Lulu bullshit.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Arcturas posted:

What was the jungle Lulu game? I only watch NA games normally, but I would love to watch some Lulu bullshit.
Game 5 of Afreeca vs MVP from last night

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Reality Winner posted:

Bjergsen is the Andy Murray of pro league. to a lesser extent Jensen is too. when they're doing well they're EU and when they do bad they're NA.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Bjergson, who played in eu for nine seconds on a challenger team, is a EU player first and foremost. Except if hes losing.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
There's probably half a dozen players at most who have played as many or more games in NALCS as Bjerg, include things like playoffs and representing an NA team internationally and it's probably just Darshan, Sneaky, and maybe Aphro and Doublelift who've played more.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Thanks. This is going to be amazing.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

*clears throat*

ahem

sahm-sung

Arcturas posted:

Thanks. This is going to be amazing.
Afreeca pulled it out again in game 4 vs Samsung just now

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Zerilan posted:

There's probably half a dozen players at most who have played as many or more games in NALCS as Bjerg, include things like playoffs and representing an NA team internationally and it's probably just Darshan, Sneaky, and maybe Aphro and Doublelift who've played more.

Those four trophies of his ain't just for show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I think SSG's got game 5 in the bag here. Sad times for AFC; I've really enjoyed seeing their creative drafts.