Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?

Yup. she is one of my all-time favs in retrospect
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJxHa8J9Y-0

Also her laquifa stand up routine got sampled on Dance Moms of all things?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-3lQNnhAkA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I am underwhelmed by that possible AS3 list except Shangela, does she have her own series yet

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Tendai posted:

does she have her own series yet

yes its called

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Completely accurate. Anyone think Milk is going to last past the second episode?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Yodzilla posted:

Completely accurate. Anyone think Milk is going to last past the second episode?

no. He got his painter sent home in skin wars. Dude is cursed.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
so, uh, I watched the Tyra interview that just came out on Hey Qween

does anyone actually like her personality or as an entertainer?

edit: like I haven't seen her live, but I've watched s2 a few times and seen a few interviews. she just comes across as "I'm a beautiful backstabbing bitch, bow down" with no other talents or redeeming qualities

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Aug 29, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yes and yes, though not back when season two aired. I was bitter Raven stan, despite Tyra absolutely killing the competition. Thought Tyra's lip sync for the crown started to sell me on her, and I loved her in subsequent rewatches.

Miss Bitch is A+.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I'm watching now. Tyra seems a little cold and awkward, which, understandable. Surprised to hear her childhood story and that her father is also gay.

I just have more thoughts on Jonny McGovern. I first came across him on Collegehumor which linked to his "Soccer Practice" video, and be very deeply moved by that video. Years later I came across his podcast Gay Pimpin. Definitely not the most polished podcast, and it relies on you knowing all of his cast of regulars and their back stories, but I always looked forward to a new episode. Years later it's now called Gayest of All Time, and only releases like 6 episodes a year and I'm still excited to hear every episode.

But I don't know. I just can't get on board with Hey Qween. I think much of his charm was him chatting with his friends, the whole late night behind a desk talk show host thing seems a little forced for him. And the years as a mainstay in gay club life seem to be taking a toll on him. I hope he's doing okay.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Nihonniboku posted:

I'm watching now. Tyra seems a little cold and awkward, which, understandable. Surprised to hear her childhood story and that her father is also gay.

I just have more thoughts on Jonny McGovern. I first came across him on Collegehumor which linked to his "Soccer Practice" video, and be very deeply moved by that video. Years later I came across his podcast Gay Pimpin. Definitely not the most polished podcast, and it relies on you knowing all of his cast of regulars and their back stories, but I always looked forward to a new episode. Years later it's now called Gayest of All Time, and only releases like 6 episodes a year and I'm still excited to hear every episode.

But I don't know. I just can't get on board with Hey Qween. I think much of his charm was him chatting with his friends, the whole late night behind a desk talk show host thing seems a little forced for him. And the years as a mainstay in gay club life seem to be taking a toll on him. I hope he's doing okay.

honey, HONEY.

honey, weho is the devil

(though really, honey, it is home to a lot of really great drag queens)

*edited for Trixieism, honey

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Tyra's win is a lot more understandable if you only watch the portions of the show the judges get to see.

Tyra absolutely deserved to win that season.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Pellisworth posted:

honey, HONEY.

honey, weho is the devil

(though really, honey, it is home to a lot of really great drag queens)

*edited for Trixieism, honey

Haha, true. I have a good friend who just moved back from weho, and he seems destroyed by it. Very attractive guy, a MD, and he felt the entire time that everybody was way out of his league.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I like Johnny in small doses, though I'm getting into the Hot T show on the channel lately, and it's pretty good.

He can be annoying in Hey Qween interviews, but he gets the queens talking about interesting poo poo and he definitely does his research. It's pretty hit or miss depending on who the guest is, though.

As for Tyra, I wonder how much of her cold personality lately has to do with that just being who she is, kind of a bitch like she was when she was super young on season 2, and how much of it is in response to how much poo poo she's gotten since winning.

Like I love Raven to pieces, but it always blows my mind how much people poo poo on Tyra for winning. She slayed every challenge, admittedly she slacked off the weeks she knew she had immunity, but bitch was there for that money and that crown and she turnt it. And she wasn't nearly as antagonistic as Raven, she just wasn't as funny at being mean or cruel as Raven was, which imho was unfortunately Tyra's downfall.

But she's the only winner who has this eternal status of not deserving the crown, and people being vocal about it for all these years in such a feverish way, and it's nuts to me. I can't think of any other winner with a backlash like that, maybe Sasha has the biggest backlash since, but it isn't nearly the entire fanbase like it is with Tyra. Sasha has a 50/50 split on people being pissed she won, and most of the people angry are mad at the format change and not Sasha herself.

e: also black queens do often get away with less than the white girls do when it comes to the RPDR fanbase, which is gross and sad

esperterra fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Aug 29, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

garthoneeye posted:

Tyra's win is a lot more understandable if you only watch the portions of the show the judges get to see.

Tyra absolutely deserved to win that season.

I don't think you're seeing that Tyra is a complete bitch.

The loving gag of the century when Tyra went on to win that challenge anyway. It was so close with Raven that Tati's outburst really could have lost Tyra the win, if Ru factored it into her decision, but she didn't because what happens in the werk room only matters when that drama spills onto the stage. If anything it prob reflected worse on Tati.

Fuuuck and that episode of Untucked was glorious, too. Let's relive the glory together:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0R7MIjqAPL4

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Hey Qween gets a pass because this is the greatest thing I've ever seen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-uBqIvW7Fk

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

esperterra posted:

But she's the only winner who has this eternal status of not deserving the crown,

Sasha didn't deserve her crown either

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

angerbeet posted:

Sasha didn't deserve her crown either

I agree 100%, it should have been a final lip sync between the two people with the highest scores. But Sasha has a vocal af fanbase the likes Tyra never has.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i can understand why Tyra won S2 but - and i know im repeating myself - i cannot for the life of me get how Raven didnt win all stars 1. my partner theorises its cuz she did jail time for DUIs that might prevent her from travelling overseas, and ru wants someone that can jetset everywhere.

also its a vaguely unpopular opinion but kimchi i feel was horribly robbed. bob's entertaining but kim's drag just about outshone her in every regard. plus she woulda been a truly unique choice

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Yes, crown the queen who can't lipsync or walk in heels

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
[quote="“angerbeet”" post="“475859188”"]
Yes, crown the queen who can’t lipsync or walk in heels
[/quote]

but enough about Tyra

:effort:

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I really hope they leave off on casting those drat instagram queens for Season 10

I want vile, hate-filled bitches, not ~~Valentina~~ precious uwu smol bean types

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

angerbeet posted:

I want vile, hate-filled bitches, not ~~Valentina~~ precious uwu smol bean types

But that's the same thing? :confused:

esperterra posted:

As for Tyra, I wonder how much of her cold personality lately has to do with that just being who she is....

e: also black queens do often get away with less than the white girls do when it comes to the RPDR fanbase, which is gross and sad

Agreed to both. Is it tougher to be liked when you have a cold personality? Sure, but back in S2 it seemed like Tyra unapologetically owned who she was, which I respected even when I thought Raven was a stronger performer overall. I haven't watched/listened to recent Tyra interviews (I didn't know about his dad being gay) but I think back to the S2 one-on-one interviews when Tyra said he was doing this for his son. The conviction was so strong and when it came down to the final LYFYL Tyra absolutely deserved the win.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

alf_pogs posted:

i can understand why Tyra won S2 but - and i know im repeating myself - i cannot for the life of me get how Raven didnt win all stars 1. my partner theorises its cuz she did jail time for DUIs that might prevent her from travelling overseas, and ru wants someone that can jetset everywhere.

AS1 was an elaborate money laundering scheme to get a crown and check to Chad Michaels by any means necessary and once you accept this, your heart can be free.

angerbeet posted:

I want vile, hate-filled bitches, not ~~Valentina~~

but you repeat yourself :confused:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

alf_pogs posted:

also its a vaguely unpopular opinion but kimchi i feel was horribly robbed. bob's entertaining but kim's drag just about outshone her in every regard. plus she woulda been a truly unique choice

Because Raven and Juju were in the bottom 2 three times. Some of Chad and Shannel's wins were questionable, though, the superhero challenge especially.

AS1 was a clusterfuck in general. Chad winning was fine, though I would have preferred Raven to take it.

Fun fact about Kim Chi, she technically had a better track record than Bob at the end of the season. Still don't think Kim should have won, though.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

alf_pogs posted:

Kim Chi's mother *still* doesn't know she does drag. Ru wouldn't (well, clearly didn't) crown someone who still demonstrates that type of shame in doing drag. Kim's inability/unwillingness to come out to her family in that regard could be seen by other people as a reason to keep everything on the downlow (and yes I get that it's also a cultural thing for her)

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

alf_pogs posted:

Kim Chi's looks were sick as gently caress, stunning, but she was not a well rounded queen. She couldn't act, she couldn't walk, she couldn't dance. I love Kim Chi, but if you're going to crown someone, they'd better be able to do most of the things a drag queen can do, not just serve a look.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Dear Prudence posted:

Kim Chi's looks were sick as gently caress, stunning, but she was not a well rounded queen. She couldn't act, she couldn't walk, she couldn't dance. I love Kim Chi, but if you're going to crown someone, they'd better be able to do most of the things a drag queen can do, not just serve a look.

Except when you spent an entire season making baffling elimination and lipsync "winner" choices for the sake of a plot line nobody wanted and didn't materialize anyway :v:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

RuPaul guest voicing in season 4 of Bojack Horseman. :neckbeard:

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

RuPaul guest voicing in season 4 of Bojack Horseman. :neckbeard:
oh my god I'm so excited

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Any word on what character? ShrewPaul?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I’m hoping some sort of fish.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I’m hoping some sort of fish.

yes

a salmon named Roe Paul

edit: or whatever fish caviar comes from, sturgeon

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 1, 2017

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Also, if you haven't seen Eastsiders you should check it out (available on Netflix). It's mostly a well-done character drama with a bit of black comedy and set in hipstery east LA. The setting really doesn't figure in a significant way though, it's a solid show that could be set in any gay neighborhood.

edit: the entire STD clinic sequence in season 2 is fantastic

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 1, 2017

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Pellisworth posted:

Also, if you haven't seen Eastsiders you should check it out (available on Netflix). It's mostly a well-done character drama with a bit of black comedy and set in hipstery east LA. The setting really doesn't figure in a significant way though, it's a solid show that could be set in any gay neighborhood.

edit: the entire STD clinic sequence in season 2 is fantastic

I love it. And that German guy can get it. I'm bummed that there hasn't been anything beyond season 2. Or has there and it just wasn't released on Netflix?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Nihonniboku posted:

I love it. And that German guy can get it. I'm bummed that there hasn't been anything beyond season 2. Or has there and it just wasn't released on Netflix?

It's really good, and short, focused episodes means it's great for binging.

For what it's worth, there are major straight and lesbian supporting characters. It's a pretty gay show but hits heavily on straight and lesbian relationships as well.

Just really tightly written and acted overall.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I hope it's on Canadian Netflix, been meaning to watch it for Willam.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

esperterra posted:

I hope it's on Canadian Netflix, been meaning to watch it for Willam.

I just checked, both seasons seem to be on :canada: Netflix.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

angerbeet posted:

I just checked, both seasons seem to be on :canada: Netflix.

Awesome, now I have something to watch after work. Thanks, girl!

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
RuPaul won another Emmy for hosting, and the show picked up another couple for costumes and editing. Might even get a real Emmy for best reality show or whatever next week.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Nice!

This is an aside but What's The Tee might be one of the worst sounding podcasts I've ever listened to. I know they have a producer and they certainly know their way around recording but the volume levels are all over the goddamn place. They love to whisper when things get serious and then Michelle laughs and screams and blows out my goddamn speakers. I can also tell when Ru and Michelle and their guests lean away from the mic and I'm like holy hell normalize that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Yodzilla posted:

Nice!

This is an aside but What's The Tee might be one of the worst sounding podcasts I've ever listened to. I know they have a producer and they certainly know their way around recording but the volume levels are all over the goddamn place. They love to whisper when things get serious and then Michelle laughs and screams and blows out my goddamn speakers. I can also tell when Ru and Michelle and their guests lean away from the mic and I'm like holy hell normalize that poo poo.

I haven't heard What's The Tee but this drives me goddamn crazy on Oh No Ross And Carrie. Mixing voice for podcasts isn't loving hard, there's no excuse for so many of them to be so goddamn bad at it.

• Locked thread