Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

big money big clit posted:

There's a difference between being a software developer and knowing how to write some code in a scripting language like python or powershell. You don't need to be a full on developer to find work in IT, but no matter what you want to focus on you drat sure should be learning how to do functional automation using a popular scripting language.

I am open to relocating. Where does one start for learning a scripting language if you have negative zero coding/dev XP? I MEAN ZERO. Nada. Zilch. I need to pick that up but don't know where to start for something like that.

Let me rephrase, where does one start to learn Python for a focus in Networking tools if you have zero coding experience.

MrBigglesworth fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

MrBigglesworth posted:

I am open to relocating. Where does one start for learning a scripting language if you have negative zero coding/dev XP? I MEAN ZERO. Nada. Zilch. I need to pick that up but don't know where to start for something like that.

https://www.amazon.com/Learn-Windows-PowerShell-Month-Lunches/dp/1617291080 https://www.amazon.com/Learn-Windows-PowerShell-Month-Lunches/dp/1617294160/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

https://www.amazon.com/Automate-Boring-Stuff-Python-Programming/dp/1593275994/

reddit.com/r/PowerShell is actually decent. Udemy, etc. Speaking as someone who is currently learning it myself.

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 23, 2017

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

The Python for everybody course on Coursera was usefull for me, in addition to automate the boring stuff.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

MrBigglesworth posted:

Let me rephrase, where does one start to learn Python for a focus in Networking tools if you have zero coding experience.

Powershell is a great scripting language to start with. Powershell in a month of lunches is a good book to learn it.

It is built into every windows computer and server, no install or compile required, just type powershell and pick the non x86 link

I'm working on a script to automate some repetitive tasks on a dumb video game, and it can be done 100% from powershell.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Powershell absolutely owns.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

MrBigglesworth posted:

The suggestion to check out Coursera or EDx courses is a good one if you need a certain amount of structure around learning and like the idea of being given projects to tackle. If you google "Python for Network Engineers" you'll find some udemy courses that might be useful, though I can't say I've got experience with any of them.

You don't need to be a pro coder, for the sorts of things you'll be doing probably 80% of your code will be conditional statements and basic logic, and python has packages for everything under the sun that you might want to do that is more complicated.

I think personally Python would be more useful for someone with a network focus.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 23, 2017

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Kashuno posted:

Powershell absolutely owns.

How much better is it from Win Server 2008 time frame? I took some Windows Server classes in college in 2013/14 and powershell was a goddamned clusterfuck. So bad that the official loving print material was riddled with typos and errors, and when trying to type in a loving goddamned holy gently caress poo poo parapraph of code only for it to dump a hot steamy pile of errors on your chest left such a bad taste in my mouth I said gently caress this and focused entirely on networking.

Sorry for all the cursing but drat, I have horrible memories of that. It as just thrown at you and not really set as a ground work for learning anything at that time.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
That sounds like really bad training materials.

Learning Powershell should be a gradual approach, where you start out using one line commands, Get-ChildItem or $Date = Get-Date.

Then you start combining them as you learn more, with two-three line commands:
$Server = "Server01"
$Cred = Get-Credential
Enter-PSSession -Computername $Server -Credential $Cred

What you're describing is crazy.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
I see that https://automatetheboringstuff.com is free to read online and his Udemy course (as well as others) are on sale for $10.

Im gonna start there.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

big money big clit posted:

I think personally Python would be more useful for someone with a network focus.
Yes, or security, or AWS...

PowerShell is obviously boss if you want to admin Exchange though.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

MrBigglesworth posted:

I see that https://automatetheboringstuff.com is free to read online and his Udemy course (as well as others) are on sale for $10.

Im gonna start there.

Good choice. I believe he has free youtube videos for each chapter too.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Definitely laid off at the wrong time. Just got a head hunter who thought I had 10 years experience and wanted to throw $80/hour at me. :sad: I cant get to 10 years if I am unemployed dammit!

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

MrBigglesworth posted:

Definitely laid off at the wrong time. Just got a head hunter who thought I had 10 years experience and wanted to throw $80/hour at me. :sad: I cant get to 10 years if I am unemployed dammit!

Did the conversation just stop when he found out you were < 10 years experience? Is there some mystical epiphany that occurs at day 3650?

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
All the conversations suddenly and abruptly end when I either dont have the full on years of XP that they want, or if they ask about a skill that is not mentioned on my resume that they want me to be able to do.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

MrBigglesworth posted:

All the conversations suddenly and abruptly end when I either dont have the full on years of XP that they want, or if they ask about a skill that is not mentioned on my resume that they want me to be able to do.

Don't rely on head hunters. They all do this. They think if they dig through enough coal they'll find a specifically cut and polished diamond.

They aren't recruiters where they're willing to help you land a job. They only bite if they find somebody who is 100% exactly qualified for a job posting and know for absolute certain they'll be hired into the role. You don't want to be 100% qualified for any job you start anyway.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a vendor-neutral storage certification? I know that sounds boring as gently caress and probably is, but I feel like knowledge of storage is a big black hole in my skillset. I don't necessarily want to get certified in something but I would like to have a structured study plan.

I found the SNIA SCSP - looks like CompTIA retired their Storage+ thing without much fanfare.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Is there a vendor-neutral storage certification? I know that sounds boring as gently caress and probably is, but I feel like knowledge of storage is a big black hole in my skillset. I don't necessarily want to get certified in something but I would like to have a structured study plan.

I found the SNIA SCSP - looks like CompTIA retired their Storage+ thing without much fanfare.

I dunno if I'd invest time/effort into a storage-centric certification or training. The storage industry is changing pretty significantly and I fall back on approximately 0 of my previous knowledge. Now-a-days you can buy all flash storage for pretty cheap and there are plenty of reliable vendors out there that are also stupidly easy to manage.

Some exceptions to this might be something like Ceph.

What sorts of storage are you encountering in your job?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

1000101 posted:

I dunno if I'd invest time/effort into a storage-centric certification or training. The storage industry is changing pretty significantly and I fall back on approximately 0 of my previous knowledge. Now-a-days you can buy all flash storage for pretty cheap and there are plenty of reliable vendors out there that are also stupidly easy to manage.

Basically we have a Server 2012 R2 machine that has nearly 40TB of storage attached to it working as a file server, and I am fairly confident that this is a backwards rear end way of doing things, but I don't know enough about storage to know what the better way to do it would be.

I know it's two RAID arrays/volumes housed in a couple of PowerVaults but it's not my area so I don't know much past that.

Also there's no structured archival processes (something else I'd like to learn, guess that might be covered in MCSA material) of any kind so there's a ton orphaned data just taking up space, etc. Basically it'd drive me insane if it were my responsibility and vaguely bothers me since it isn't.

This became a venting post but you get the idea?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I mean, for our bigger environments we have hosts attached to SAN via iscsi, attach LUNs to OS and rock and roll.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

1000101 posted:

Ya, don't spend a bunch of time learning storage unless it's for a particular vendor for the particular job you work at currently. The industry is in the midst of a big shift.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Failed 200-105 for the second time. This time got 801 out of a needed 811.

Not sure where to go from here. I got about 100 points better this time around but I've already wasted so much time and money on this.

I've gone through Odom, Lammle, and used Pluralsight and Boson. Maybe I should try CBT Nuggets too? Or just hunker down and try again in a month or two

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
What are the views here on how necessary the A+ is for landing an entry level job? I'm trying to break into IT with no direct experience being employed in the field, but I do have a BS in an unrelated major and a bit over 15 years of building PCs and being a tech enthusiast in general.

Following the general wisdom, I've been studying for the A+ for a couple weeks now but the information is frankly pretty basic, so I'd rather save the money and put it toward something more advanced a bit later if my degree and a well-written resume are likely to get me most of the way there. But, if I'm hopeless without it, I'd rather go ahead and get it out of the way now than after a couple months of fruitless job searching.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The A+ is mostly a checkmark for HR, or very basic foundational knowledge. If you have an 'in' somewhere or have any demonstrated past experience, you can skip it. Otherwise it is a very popular requirement for entry-level jobs.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Saying in an interview that you've studied the A+ material and found it simple is almost as good as having the A+.

I'd highly recommend the N+ over the A+ for entry level jobs, because at least you get a little bit of useful working knowledge.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
doodoo

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 26, 2018

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Chickenwalker posted:

I actively look down on anyone who puts "studying for [X CompTIA cert]" because it shows that they are dumb as poo poo and lazy and think IT might be a good fit, I saw that movie Hackers once. I look down on them even if they already have it because they went to the trouble of getting something so useless.

It is the hallmark of the lowest common denominator ITT tech trash people that make staffing in IT a goddamn nightmare.

Get your CCNA or learn an actual useful skill in an IT/CS discipline. Nobody is going to be impressed that you know the max bitrate of loving SATA III, and if they are it means they're retarded.

I didn't read your post after I saw A+. If I saw it on your resume I would immediately throw it in the trash, maybe light it on fire if it weren't for the fact that it would set the sprinklers off. Hope this helps!

An entry level person isn't going to be able to get a CCNA. If this is truly entry level, your requirements are extremely unrealistic.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Chickenwalker posted:

I actively look down on anyone who puts "studying for [X CompTIA cert]" because it shows that they are dumb as poo poo and lazy and think IT might be a good fit, I saw that movie Hackers once. I look down on them even if they already have it because they went to the trouble of getting something so useless.

It is the hallmark of the lowest common denominator ITT tech trash people that make staffing in IT a goddamn nightmare.

Get your CCNA or learn an actual useful skill in an IT/CS discipline. Nobody is going to be impressed that you know the max bitrate of loving SATA III, and if they are it means they're retarded.

I didn't read your post after I saw A+. If I saw it on your resume I would immediately throw it in the trash, maybe light it on fire if it weren't for the fact that it would set the sprinklers off. Hope this helps!

Requiring CCNA for entry level makes you the dumb piece of poo poo that makes the IT hiring process insufferable, hope this helps you goony goon.

I honestly hope you never end up in a position to hire people because you sound like a real loving rear end in a top hat to work for.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
A+ is good in that it shows you're capable of sitting down and studying a deliberately obtuse test and are willing to learn. It also arbitrarily culls the number of resumes HR has to consider. There's no downside to it and potentially decent upsides, regardless of what some people may say who probably hire crap applicants with test dumps CCNA's for entry level jobs.

I never got my A+, but I read a study guide, which filled in some gaps I had in computer hardware knowledge. It's not a bad way to spend $300. At the very least, passing that will boost your confidence studying for other more difficult certifications.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Chickenwalker posted:

To OP: This is not in any way a normal or reasonable stance that a significant number of professionals share. Yes, A+ is not especially well-respected, but it does separate you (positively) from the bulk of entry-level help desk applicants that don't have it. Depending your past work experience and education though, it's probably not necessary. And like Judge Schnoopy said, if you're seeing that A+ is too simple, N+ should hurdle any HR walls that A+ would have and then some, in addition to giving you a good foundation in networking knowledge.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Chickenwalker posted:

lol you are such a piece of poo poo. A+ is a fine starting point, and if you're going to immediately poo poo on someone just getting into the field and looking at an entry level or help desk job, I sincerely hope you aren't in charge of hiring anyone because you are an absolute loving moron that is probably costing your company more money than you are worth. gently caress off and stop posting

To actually contribute to the conversation; it's not required to get into the tech industry, but for a lot of places it's a checkbox on an HR list that will get you in the door for the interview. fwiw I started with an A+ and that is what separated me from a bunch of applicants, which led to my current job where I've acquired a few more certs with experience. It won't mean a single thing past your first job in the field, but by then you'll have moved onto different certifications anyway. You could always skip it and go for N+, but it will require a bit more time to do so and if time is a factor I recommend get the A+ and while looking focus on your next steps.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Must have been nice for that guy to get in on his first job without experience as he looked down on us schmucks that tried to learn in order to break into a new field.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Chickenwalker posted:

I didn't know Eli the Computer Guy was a goon. :v:

Everyone Else posted:

Reasonable advice

Thanks, everyone. Network+ is an intriguing idea that I hadn't considered previously. In my head the original idea was get A+, land entry level job, then pursue more vendor-specific certs like MCSA or CCNA and skip the rest of the CompTIA stuff.

Either way I'll peruse some more job listings and decide where to go from there.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Space Racist posted:

Thanks, everyone. Network+ is an intriguing idea that I hadn't considered previously. In my head the original idea was get A+, land entry level job, then pursue more vendor-specific certs like MCSA or CCNA and skip the rest of the CompTIA stuff.

Either way I'll peruse some more job listings and decide where to go from there.

Also consider that N+ is cheaper than A+ because it's only one exam.

I will never get over the fact that A+ is two exams.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Space Racist posted:

It's also worth noting that your desired career path can make a difference between A+ and N+. A+ and MCSA are great if you want to go into systems administration, which can open doors to devops and virtual admin if you learn a programming language or Puppet and Chef and Ansible and all that other dev-oppy stuff. N+ and CCNA are great if you want to start in network administration, which opens doors to network security, phone / collaboration support, and VARs doing project work.

Nothing against either path but it's like Geometry and Algebra, usually you're naturally better at one over the other and once you find which one that is for you you're gonna have a much better time moving up in the field.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I don't think I would be particularly interested in anyone saying they're currently studying for a cert.

The exception is if it's multiple tests and you've recently finished one.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Judge Schnoopy posted:

It's also worth noting that your desired career path can make a difference between A+ and N+. A+ and MCSA are great if you want to go into systems administration, which can open doors to devops and virtual admin if you learn a programming language or Puppet and Chef and Ansible and all that other dev-oppy stuff. N+ and CCNA are great if you want to start in network administration, which opens doors to network security, phone / collaboration support, and VARs doing project work.

Nothing against either path but it's like Geometry and Algebra, usually you're naturally better at one over the other and once you find which one that is for you you're gonna have a much better time moving up in the field.

A baseline of networking knowledge is pretty critical for a good sysadmin, far more than an A+. This is especially true as networking logic moves out of specialized hardware and into the hypervisor or container.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Speaking of, I'm very seriously considering abandoning my CCNA Sec studies because I've enjoyed MCSA stuff a lot more and can apply it to my current role, and I think realistically I have a better shot of getting employment in that field (based on my current experience, which does not touch Cisco products at all, despite my CCNA). This is after I purchased the ExamSim from Boson for it. :sigh:

I still don't really have strong feelings one way or the other re: network admin vs sys admin, I just want to gtfo of this job. Been stagnant for too long.

Sorry, e:n over.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Wouldn't banging out some of these AWS associate exams be a better use of time than the CompTIA stuff if you're trying to break in?

As far as I'm concerned the only CompTIA that has tangible value is Sec+ and that's only because of DoD.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Diva Cupcake posted:

Wouldn't banging out some of these AWS associate exams be a better use of time than the CompTIA stuff if you're trying to break in?

As far as I'm concerned the only CompTIA that has tangible value is Sec+ and that's only because of DoD.

If you have 0 job experience in IT, nobody wants to hire you. If nobody hires you, you can't get IT job experience.

One way to get around that hurdle is to complete a CompTIA cert. AWS certs will probably do the same thing, but may limit the available jobs because I can't imagine hiring a cloud engineer with no IT experience. I think AWS certs help boost a resume for somebody moving up in the IT field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Diva Cupcake posted:

Entering the field for your first job with just AWS certs will mean literally nothing